PDA

View Full Version : Ephedra gets it's butt kicked...

gbat
02-04-2003, 04:23 AM
Government cracking down or cracking up? Or both? Or what?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,65128,00.html

iluvlifting2001
02-04-2003, 04:31 AM
Geez, A few people ruin it for the rest of us. I think if people used a little more common sense before they take supplements (like seeing a doctor before going on metabolism supps if you are not in reasonably good health or misusing them like some truckers do to stay awake for long periods of time). I mean kids huff paint and glue so you gonna ban them also?

Gator
02-04-2003, 04:48 AM
MMMMMMMMM, model glue !!!!

Gator

kyser
02-04-2003, 05:04 AM
"Canada banned ephedra sales...." what a crock ... we still buy pure HCL ephedrine in 8mg.

iluvlifting2001
02-04-2003, 05:35 AM
I was not going to mention that kyser but that is where I always got mine in the past.

TwoWalks
02-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by iluvlifting2001
Geez, A few people ruin it for the rest of us. I mean kids huff paint and glue so you gonna ban them also?

Yep, they sure are. There is currently two town here in Central California that have banned the sale of model glue and spray paint to minors:)

The reality is simple Money, the more money the suppliment companies make, the more the AMA wants it controled by doctors. Ever figure how much a doctor can make just writing prescriptions!

iluvlifting2001
02-04-2003, 11:18 AM
Do not even get me started about doctors. They are killing me with this hmo crap at work. Last year had a fixed rate for prescriptions ($10). This year looks like most are moving to 20 percent of the drug cost.

back2it
02-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by kyser
"Canada banned ephedra sales...." what a crock ... we still buy pure HCL ephedrine in 8mg.
You can count on the Canadian government to ban anything that works , unless it's a "patentable" drug . How many people die each year from misuse or misdiagnoses of prescription drugs ? Answer: lots more than die from natural herbs . Ephedra has been used by the chinese for thousands of years .
Don't use Canada as an example of being on the leading edge of concern for the people . Its the drug companies well being that is of highest priority .

Absinthe
02-05-2003, 11:03 AM
That's what it all boils down to. The FDA doesn't give a s*** about a few people dying. Drug companies don't care either as long as they are making a buck. But god forbid you try to cut into their profits by selling a supplement that competes with their crappy Xenacal or Meridia!

How many have died from using pharmaceuticals? Hundreds, thousands, more? Now, how often is a drug banned? Sure, it happens, but not very often.

Sure, I believe we should have some guidelines on supplements, but I want them based on hard science, not politics.

Ebone
11-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Absinthe
That's what it all boils down to. The FDA doesn't give a s*** about a few people dying. Drug companies don't care either as long as they are making a buck. But god forbid you try to cut into their profits by selling a supplement that competes with their crappy Xenacal or Meridia!

How many have died from using pharmaceuticals? Hundreds, thousands, more? Now, how often is a drug banned? Sure, it happens, but not very often.

Sure, I believe we should have some guidelines on supplements, but I want them based on hard science, not politics.

I couldn't agree with you more. Except I KNOW xenacal works...but anyway. You're right, all the polititians care about is the almighty vote. But lets face it...is there really a country where the government cares about it's people and not lining their pockets? If there is, please point me in that direction. Of course, what I think would be great is if people learned to live a healthy lifstyle and elimated the need (WANT would be a better term really) for these prescription weightloss pills. And I'm not doggin' anybody, I'm just now learning that "Diet and exercise" really are the two things you have to do to lose weight. But that's just my 2 cents.

TwoWalks
11-03-2003, 10:47 AM
There are 16,000 deaths a year related to aspirin misuse. Itís available everywhere. Itís over the counter and there is no age restriction on buying it. 16,000 deaths each year and no one would ever dream of banning the sale of aspirin

The FDA has received reports of about 100 deaths related to ephedra.

ojs
11-03-2003, 07:26 PM
How about the thousands of cases of liver cancer caused by Tylenol? Plenty of research to prove it. But no action taken as a result. It appears that no one is challenging the work. Just that no one is interested.

Hibiscus09
11-04-2003, 07:11 AM
MMMMMMMMM, model glue !!!!

Gator

LOL! :)