PDA

View Full Version : Watery Liquid in Cottage Cheese...

play123
10-31-2006, 10:10 PM
I just have a quick question regarding the watery liquid that rises to the top of a tub of cottage cheese. Would it be wise to drain this liquid, or does it contain a significant amount of protein?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

terracotta
10-31-2006, 10:11 PM
It doesn't contain protein, but it will keep your cc moist, so I recommend just stirring it back in.

1quick1
10-31-2006, 11:16 PM
I just have a quick question regarding the watery liquid that rises to the top of a tub of cottage cheese. Would it be wise to drain this liquid, or does it contain a significant amount of protein?

I would stir it back in so the CC doesn't dry out unless you eat it all in 1-2 days. I doubt it contains much protein though. However cottage cheese is cheap. Try it out and let us know.

newequation
10-31-2006, 11:58 PM
That would be the whey, it does contain protein, and you should mix it all together. Just ask little Miss Muffet.

ab-swing asianbabe
11-01-2006, 02:02 AM
I believe the liquid contains whey

Al Shades
11-01-2006, 02:06 AM
I believe the liquid contains whey

Since when? It doesn't seem likely, though I admit I could be wrong.

newequation
11-01-2006, 03:13 AM
Since they started making it I guess. Cottage cheese is made from milk, milk contains casein and whey. Hard to believe that nobody has heard of curds and whey.

terracotta
11-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Cottage cheese is almost entirely casein.. anyways, it wouldn't make much of a difference to the protein either way (there is like 2 tbsp of water in there). I'm pretty sure they add water to keep it moist, if someone has a container of cc check it.

markb3
11-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Cottage cheese is almost entirely casein.. anyways, it wouldn't make much of a difference to the protein either way (there is like 2 tbsp of water in there). I'm pretty sure they add water to keep it moist, if someone has a container of cc check it.
Yes it's casein because the whey is drained off, but some remains and separates out when stood. The same way I can drain the whey from yogurt but when the remaining strained yogurt is left in the fridge, a small amount of liquid whey will appear on the surface.

As you say though, it's negligible :)

TriStateTough
11-01-2006, 01:32 PM
I think, depending on the brand, that's where the bacteria (the good kind) are, but I'm not sure.

xxscp316xx
11-01-2006, 02:09 PM

really i found out by a nutritionist that watery stuff is just like the water stuff that sits on top of yougurt, its whey protein

RichLovell1989
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM

I always drain it out and put it with my pasta for dinners.

MetilHed
03-28-2013, 09:42 AM
I always drain it out and put it with my pasta for dinners.

Strong 2nd post.

6.5 year bump for that ?

1quick1
03-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Strong 2nd post.

6.5 year bump for that ?

Shows he's searching rather than posting a new thread. New guys can't win here I guess....

LaudyBrah
03-28-2013, 03:32 PM
I heard it was pure whey but fuk if I should kno just stir it in
Edit: hory chit just looked at post date.. strong bump

tkorol
12-14-2014, 08:27 PM

absolute fact. the liquid is whey and it is a different kind of protein then is found in the curds. curds are Casein which is slow releasing relative to Whey protein.

desslok
12-14-2014, 08:42 PM
absolute fact. the liquid is whey and it is a different kind of protein then is found in the curds. curds are Casein which is slow releasing relative to Whey protein.

Phew, we can finally sleep after 8 years of sleepless nights...