PDA

View Full Version : New "improvements" at gym - yeesh.

decider111
02-03-2003, 11:56 AM
My gym is implementing a new program. While I am glad that this will help out folk who need the guidance and encouragement to do the nautilus circuit, it, along with the New Year resolution folk, is going to make an already crowded gym worse. I also wonder just how much value there is to spoon feeding exercie. At some point do not folk have to figure out that the value is in the hard work and discipline as well? I just hope they do not remove benches, squat racks, and free weights to make room for this 8 station circuit.

"New York (December 24, 2002) – Town Sports International (TSI) recently announced the addition of XpressLine, a trainer-supervised, eight-station equipment circuit that will be rolled out in all New York Sports Clubs, Boston Sports Clubs, Philadelphia Sports Clubs and Washington Sports Clubs by the end of 2003.

"This free service will allow TSI members to do a complete strength training workout in under 22 minutes. XpressLine is a convenient and time-efficient workout for all fitness levels. Each XpressLine participant is greeted by a trainer. The trainer follows the participant through the circuit, sets the proper seat and weight adjustments on each piece of equipment, and coaches him through the routine.

"Novice members are assured that they are using equipment properly and veteran members are relieved of the hassles of equipment set-up. Results are seen quickly because the trainer ensures that participants are using proper form and that their workouts progress as their abilities increase.

"TSI developed XpressLine to address the industry’s biggest challenges: how to make new members more comfortable and increase customer service to existing members. Fitness industry statistics show that approximately 40% of people drop out of gym based programs within the first six months.

“XpressLine was designed to provide a workout that is quick, convenient, and accessible,” explains Bob Giardina, CEO of TSI. “We have removed all of the obstacles and provided all of the tools that allow a member to achieve results.” TSI’s internal customer surveys show that a supervised circuit would help nearly 50% of its members stay committed to a regular fitness regimen. “At TSI we’ve built our business around making fitness as convenient and accessible as possible. XpressLine is just one of the programs that supports the customer focused club experience,” says Cheryl Jones, vice president of Programs and Services.

iluvlifting2001
02-03-2003, 12:02 PM
Express workouts...Something smells bad about this.

Gator
02-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Is this kinda the same thing as a place called "Curves" out here in the midwest ??
They make lotsa claims, and u can have it all done in 30 minutes, blah, blah, blah..

Gator

tracyb555
02-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Gator -

I haven't actually been to a 'Curves', but know a little bit about them. And yes, they do circuit training (and only circuit training as far as I know).

The positives I've heard about it:
- Geared to women-only. Some ladies (especially those with a lot of weight to lose who aren't particularly athletic) feel less intimidated in this type of environment.
- They emphasize inches lost over the pounds for women trying to lose weight.
- They get women interested in strength training who might only have tried cardio and/or dieting to lose weight.
- They produce results.

While the ladies I've heard from seemed to enjoy it and lose inches, many eventually outgrow the circuit routines and join up at a 'real' gym.

giantfan43
02-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Express line w/o's .. 8 exercises or less .. the whole notion seems crazy to me .. I can understand the concept of circuit training but to have it supervised .. augh ! .. good luck decider ..

Regarding CURVES .. they just opened up one by my house and it is packed .. my wife was going to check into it but she hasn't looked into yet .. she says she heard the same thing about it that tracy did ...

TrishB
02-03-2003, 04:10 PM
It is becoming very popular everywhere, and is definitely geared to older overweight woman.
The one thing that I heard about it, is you never change any weights on the machines. So every one lifts using the same weight and reps, regardless of their strength.

decider111
02-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Trish -

Supposedly, the gyms in NYC are promising to change the weight to match progress. We shall see. I asume this will be the least choice assignments given to the newest trainers. The more I think about, it is probably also a gimmick to have trainers try to sell themselves to the client in a controlled setting.

Maybe, I can join a gym where they will change me in and out of my street clothes and do my cardio for me as well.

TrishB
02-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by decider111
Trish -
Maybe, I can join a gym where they will change me in and out of my street clothes and do my cardio for me as well.

I could use a gym like every morning at 430am! :D