PDA

View Full Version : Embarassing .....

giantfan43
02-03-2003, 06:00 AM
Thought I would share this with my friends here .. very embarassing story at the gym ....

The other day, I went to the gym a bit later than usual .. wasn't in a rush to get to work so I went at 7:30 instead of 5:00 am .. very few people there but all different faces to me .. anyway, it was leg day so I sauntered up to my usual squat rack to find it was being used .. so I moved to the other one which is a bit different .. has more places to lay down the bar (safety areas I guess) .. so I was squatting and loaded the bar to 275 .. which is a workout for me but still manageable .. well, anyway, as I'm going down, I didn't back out far enough and one side of the bar clipped the rack .. well, it pushed the weight back and I couldn't balance it and I dropped it .. now, first off, thank God I wasn't hurt, but I was extremely embarassed .. but to make matters worse, two guys came running over to see if I was ok .. well, they hardly believed me when I told them what happened and they insisted on spotting me for my next set .. nice of them to offer but I felt like such an idiot .. anyway, I did my 8 reps and moved up another quarter and they spotted me again .. I was happy to be done with my squats after that and vowed I would never use that rack again !

iluvlifting2001
02-03-2003, 06:11 AM
I think that is a normal thing. On the heavier stuff I always goto the same equipment also. I get a little freaked out when having to use another piece of equipment.

Anyways, thank goodness you did not get hurt. You know it is good to have a spotter though. no shame in being safe bro.

decider111
02-03-2003, 06:30 AM
I am embarrassed to say that I had that same experience, but with less weight and without the spotters. Ah well, live and earn.

giantfan43
02-03-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by iluvlifting2001

Anyways, thank goodness you did not get hurt. You know it is good to have a spotter though. no shame in being safe bro.

You're right about the spotters .. If I go really heavy on the squats, I stick to the smith machine .. when I go to the gym there is hardly anyone there and I hate asking for people to spot at that time of the morning .. generally, their looking to get in and out !

bkk
02-03-2003, 07:22 AM
Your post reminded me of more than one of my own workouts. Like you it's tended to happen when changing equipment, usually when changing gymns.

I have to say though, it sounds like you have some good people at your gymn.

MagicMel
02-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Glad you're OK bro.

Whenever I use a piece of equipment that I haven't used before, I usually go thru the motions with an empty bar or unloaded stack just to get the feel of it. It helps my confidence even tho I may look goofy using 0 lbs.

Fudog1138
02-03-2003, 08:10 AM
OK here's my weekend goof.
I've worked out at home for a few years and just joined Powerhouse Gym on Friday. I had never used an inclined leg press before and was pretty pumped to try it out.
I took the weight off to try just the machine weight. Fine. I got it down. Then I started adding plates. Man the weight was easy. Put some more on. Still easy. Hmm??? What's up?? I got up and looked at the stupid and obviously malfunctioning machine. Then realized that the machine had it's own built in plate holders. Which I was apprently testing out by loading plates :rolleyes:. I looked around to see if anyone saw the human jack-ass. I don't think so. In any case I put the plates in the right spot and got to work.

Awesome workout anyway :D

MagicMel
02-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Fudog, lol, I just got a visual of you "increasing" the poundages on the machine. Still, lol. :D

tracyb555
02-03-2003, 10:14 AM
Giantfan - Glad to hear you are ok and that the people at the gym were there to help you out.

Fudog - LOL! Sound like something I would do!

GLAlexander
02-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Fudog

Sorry to laugh at your expense, but that would be embarassing.

Hibiscus09
02-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Fudog, I watched a lady one day totally unload a machine she thought she was loading. :) Oh, well, I guess the person before her should have unloaded the weights!

Giantfan, I was spotting a workout partner one time who was doing 550 lb squats -- well, down he went. :) I went down with him trying to push him up but, of course, to no avail. Luckily, he knew how to go down with the weight & didn't toss it on me! :) I think he just liked my looks -- he should have known I couldn't help him out with that one!

institutional
02-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Fudog1138
OK here's my weekend goof.
I've worked out at home for a few years and just joined Powerhouse Gym on Friday. I had never used an inclined leg press before and was pretty pumped to try it out.
I took the weight off to try just the machine weight. Fine. I got it down. Then I started adding plates. Man the weight was easy. Put some more on. Still easy. Hmm??? What's up?? I got up and looked at the stupid and obviously malfunctioning machine. Then realized that the machine had it's own built in plate holders. Which I was apprently testing out by loading plates :rolleyes:. I looked around to see if anyone saw the human jack-ass. I don't think so. In any case I put the plates in the right spot and got to work.

Awesome workout anyway :D

omg., you got me cracking up here at work, but it takes a man to admit that!!!

giantfan43
02-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09

Giantfan, I was spotting a workout partner one time who was doing 550 lb squats -- well, down he went. :) I went down with him trying to push him up but, of course, to no avail. Luckily, he knew how to go down with the weight & didn't toss it on me! :) I think he just liked my looks -- he should have known I couldn't help him out with that one!

Hibiscus - I'm sure he knew .. I give you credit for agreeing to spot him !

Fudog - you cracked me up with that one !

Hibiscus09
02-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Only give me credit for being insane! :)

Gator
02-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Next time wait for yer rack.
im a creature of habit...

Gator

Phatman1179
02-03-2003, 11:20 AM
LOL, I have done all that. How many of us have not had to roll the bar down our chest to our hips on a failed Bench?

TwoWalks
02-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Only give me credit for being insane! :) Ok, as you request My Lady.

Truth be told, I have never used the machines at a gym and that is why I have a home gym today. Yeh, I know, I do not have a spotter that way ... but I also save myself a whole lot of embarrasment trying to figure out what a machine is used for and then have to figure out how to use it on top of that.:D

Hibiscus09
02-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Okay, to make you feel better -- here are my two most embarassing gym moments. Both happened at my old gym & I don't have to see these people anymore. :)

1) Walked out of the bathroom with thong underwear stuck to the velcro of my gloves. :)

2) Jogging upstairs on a treadmill that looked out over the weight section of the gym downstairs. I had on this one piece black shorts unitard that zipped up the front. Well, this guy kept staring & smiling at me & seemed totally enthralled. I finally happen to look down & it looks like Elvira Mistress of the Dark is upstairs jogging -- my zipper was down to my belly button! LOL Nothing had popped out but it was quite a provocative jogging outfit! Never wore that one again!

Now, Giant, do you feel better?

TwoWalks
02-03-2003, 02:31 PM
it looks like Elvira Mistress of the Dark is upstairs jogging -- my zipper was down to my belly button!

I think Elvira is fantastic:

I miss all the good things

I might have to reconsider the gym membership after this:D:D:D

Hibiscus09
02-03-2003, 02:47 PM
It was awful -- luckily I have a good sense of humor!

gymstud2002
02-03-2003, 09:45 PM
We've all been there... I had to have someone pull the bar off me when I overdid inclines without a spotter. Partially dislocated the shoulder...took months to bounce back. But here's a better story... a couple of years ago I was training at Golds in Venice and I saw medics coming in with a stretcher, heading to a squat rack. I looked over and saw a really huge guy on the floor. I figured he must've lost it doing an 800# squat or something, but all he had on the bar was two quarters! Don't know what happened, but they took him away with his knee in one of those inflatable bags. Ouch!

iluvlifting2001
02-04-2003, 05:52 AM
I think the worse place to be is in the rack portion of the gym. Squating/Deadlift. I have been around some people that were deadly with the broke gas pipe while doing heavy sets. Geez...

giantfan43
02-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Okay, to make you feel better -- here are my two most embarassing gym moments. Both happened at my old gym & I don't have to see these people anymore. :)

1) Walked out of the bathroom with thong underwear stuck to the velcro of my gloves. :)

2) Jogging upstairs on a treadmill that looked out over the weight section of the gym downstairs. I had on this one piece black shorts unitard that zipped up the front. Well, this guy kept staring & smiling at me & seemed totally enthralled. I finally happen to look down & it looks like Elvira Mistress of the Dark is upstairs jogging -- my zipper was down to my belly button! LOL Nothing had popped out but it was quite a provocative jogging outfit! Never wore that one again!

Now, Giant, do you feel better?

yea, I guess I do feel better although I like the Elvira look myself .. I will admit that if I walked out of the bathroom with thong underwear stuck to my glove, I would imagine the boys at the gym would give me applause .. guess it's different for guys huh ? (LOL)

Hibiscus09
02-04-2003, 12:51 PM
Well, they don't exactly give women applause -- more like heckling. :)

arkangel
02-10-2003, 09:38 PM
I used to workout at an old YMCA (Golden Gate Y) in San Francisco.
All things aside... the comradery was great. Lee Haney worked out there for awhile. The think I loved about it was that there was always guys, no matter where you were on the PUMP scale, who were willing to help.
I can't tell you not to feel embarassed, but rejoice that you are amongst other guys who share your pain.
I know it can be pretty intimidating, on occasion, hanging around guys who are ALOT more buffed than you... but beyond that ... they're just guys who want to get in shape themselves.

Arkangel
Oakland/CA