PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol as calories

LiftRunBall
10-30-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm in college and drink basically every friday and saturday. I know this isn't good, but you're not going to change it right now. Anyways, I was wondering, if say I have a goal to get 3000 calories one day and I'll drink 1000 calories worth that night, should I undercut my eating during the day? I realize that this will probably not allow me to get the protein and some other nutrients I need. Should I just take the extra 1000 cals and do some extra cardio?

Le Derek
10-30-2006, 08:15 PM
thats a good question...im also pretty curious to see the answer...im not a drinker but it would be interesting to find out

5Six
10-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Even if you do cut do burn the 1000 calories threw various methods you would have done more damage to your body than good.

Due to the fact

- Alcohol decreases protein synthesis by 20% Protein synthesis is what helps your muscles grow

- Alcohol also decreases testosterone levels and increases estrogen. Obviously, this isn't good.

But if you do go out and have a good time.

- Drink lots of water and keep some by your bedside.

- Have a protein shake before you head to bed also.

- Take some ZMA (raises test levels) and glutamine (prevents catabolism

newequation
10-30-2006, 09:42 PM
If you are bulking then you need not worry about it, but if youre cutting then its best to have a low carb day when you drink. If you must drink, then keep it low carb, liquor over beer, with diet soda, if you dont mind people looking at you like youre a bitch. And stay hydrated.

alexclark
10-30-2006, 10:01 PM
If you are bulking then you need not worry about it, but if youre cutting then its best to have a low carb day when you drink. If you must drink, then keep it low carb, liquor over beer, with diet soda, if you dont mind people looking at you like youre a bitch. And stay hydrated.

Good advice - diet soda is a must if you use a chaser. But I disagree with not needing to worry if your bulking. Bulking isnt an excuse for adding as much fat as possible. This is a recipe for disaster. The idea is make slow, lean gains.

dirtdemon6
10-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Go out and drink man. I am tired of people on this forum shooting down drinking so much. Live your life and have fun, your only in college once. I also don't know why people are so hard on drinknig. I have managed to lose body fat easily while drinking when I want. i just simply go low carb/eat less that day if i know I'm going to drink.

5Six
10-31-2006, 06:38 AM
I am all for going out and having a good time occasionally. But don't go get **** faced every weekend. Your progress is going to be so far back you might as well not train.

Flex500
10-31-2006, 06:50 AM
It all depends on your goals.

For people just trying to get more muscular and lean, I think you can drink just fine and as long as you work hard and eat good you'll be okay.

However, if you want an extreme physique, as in very very very big and shredded, you can't be drinking all the time, it won't work.

Flex500
10-31-2006, 06:51 AM
I know when I was a freshman and soph I was drinking 3 to 4 days a week, then as I got older it was less and less and now hardly at all. I am at the point now where I am trying to develop my physique to the absolute extreme and if that is your goal you can't go out and binge drink two nights a week.