PDA

View Full Version : Weak Shoulder

Rick602
02-01-2003, 01:08 AM
Hey Guys,

I just noticed your site, and I would like some advice. I retired from the Army several years ago and I work as a police officer now. I tore my right rotator cuff pretty bad about 2 Ĺ years ago. I had surgery, but the doctor told me he was pretty skeptical the tendons and my shoulder in general -doesnít keep me from the job though ;o)

I enjoy lifting, so Iíve been very careful about working my shoulder. My question is this. When Iím working on the flat bench, Iíve started moving my hands closer together, and tucking my elbows to get more lift. Iím basically cheating with my triceps, to increase my bench.

My trouble areas are getting my elbows out away from my side, and working my chest more. I have limited depth on the incline press (canít get the bar all the way down to my chest without pain, but Iím working on that). Is it bad to retrain my muscles to lift heavy in this manner, or should I back off on the weight, and go for technique?

Iíve been trying to lift heavy with 2 to 6 reps. Iím finally able to get 225 up twice with a little help on the second rep. I finish the bench with high reps (about 15) with 135 on the bar. When I do this I concentrate on using a more proper form with my hands a little farther apart, and my elbows out, bringing more of my chest into play.

I can only get to the gym three days a week. Day one is Chest, triceps, skip a day, day two is biceps and shoulders (I found this works better with my shoulder injury) skip a day, and day three is legs and back. I start each workout with a 10-minute bicycle warm-up, good stretch, and 75-100 sit-ups. I do my routine, and depending on how much time I have left I stair step 30 minutes, and run about a mile and a quarter. Some days I will go longer on Hey Guys,

I just noticed your site, and I would like some advice. I retired from the Army several years ago and I work as a police officer now. I tore my right rotator cuff pretty bad about 2 Ĺ years ago. I had surgery, but the doctor told me he was pretty skeptical the tendons and my shoulder in general -doesnít keep me from the job though ;o)

I enjoy lifting, so Iíve been very careful about working my shoulder. My question is this. When Iím working on the flat bench, Iíve started moving my hands closer together, and tucking my elbows to get more lift. Iím basically cheating with my triceps, to increase my bench.

My trouble areas are getting my elbows out away from my side, and working my chest more. I have limited depth on the incline press (canít get the bar all the way down to my chest without pain, but Iím working on that). Is it bad to retrain my muscles to lift heavy in this manner, or should I back off on the weight, and go for technique?

Iíve been trying to lift heavy with 2 to 6 reps. Iím finally able to get 225 up twice with a little help on the second rep. I finish the bench with high reps (about 15) with 135 on the bar. When I do this I concentrate on using a more proper form with my hands a little farther apart, and my elbows out, bringing more of my chest into play.

I can only get to the gym three days a week. Day one is chest, triceps, skip a day, day two is biceps and shoulders (I found this works better with my shoulder injury) skip a day, and day three is legs and back. I start each workout with a 10-minute bicycle warm-up, good stretch, and 75-100 sit-ups. I do my routine, and depending on how much time I have left I stair step 30 minutes, and run about a mile and a quarter. Some days I will go longer on my aerobic work out, but my lift usually stays the same.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also I don't use supplements, but I may be interested.

Thanks

MiloMan
02-01-2003, 02:17 AM
What sort of rehab did you do after the surgery? The usual 3 or 4 rotator cuff rehab lifts?

Rick602
02-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Physical therapy for about a month and a half, then after that I continued at the gym. I still use some of the exercises specific to my rotator cuff when I work shoulders.

Homie
02-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Welcome to the site bro. The first thing I would say is "BE CAREFUL". Coming back from any surgery takes time, and if anything shoulder injuries are worse. That doesn't mean you can't do it though, I had shoulder surgery a few years ago and am back to lifting at full strength (different surgery than yours though). Tucking your elbows in and using more triceps is actually the preferred way of benching for competitive lifters (not great for chest development though) :D . First and foremost work on your technique, the strength will come, but DON'T push it... otherwise you're out of lifting again. :( If you're looking to build your chest there are other exercises you can use that may be easier on your shoulder. I would start with dumbell presses (flat and incline), these allow you to move your hands in order to relieve stress on your shoulder. It looks like you have a good routine going, I would just make sure you stretch out really good before any lifting and I would probably drop the weight a little and keep the reps up. Let us know how things are goin' bro, take your time and your shoulder will get better. :)

Richie
02-01-2003, 08:57 PM
Rik, regarding supps i'd recommend a glucosamine/MSM combination.
also a calcium/magnesium supp and some sort of EFA (essential fatty acid) flaxseed oil or fish oil etc. this can be done by including a few more healthier fats in your diet and backing off the carbs a bit.
i've added these and my injuries have been a lot kinder to me. in fact i can't remember the last time an injury really bothered my workouts. and i've injured EVERYTHING at one stage or another.
these are just tools though. you really need to look after the injury with exercises that don't aggravate it AT ALL.
pick some exercises that you can do without pain and base your workouts around them. especially those that work the upper chest, upper back and the three heads of the shoulders (including the traps) these support the whole shoulder stucture and if one area is stonger than the another you are setting yourself up for an injury.
also if it's possible for you you could separate your weights and cardio doing cardio every second day & weights on the other days with one complete rest day. (only if it's possible for you though)

Richie

ROCK CRUSHER
02-03-2003, 11:10 AM
PL style of benching(elbow elbows tucked & bring bar to lower chest) is much easier on rotators.

stay with the high reps 12-15! this also brings more blood the
tissue (flushing) whichs helps reb.

get some resistance bands!