PDA

View Full Version : New Things at the Gym

maxallen
01-31-2003, 11:26 AM
Just got back from my noon workout at the gym across the street from my office. They got some new stuff, the biggest of which is an Angled Smith Machine. See it here: http://www.magnumfitness.com/m49.htm

What can you guys tell me about this? What's it good for? And why is it angled instead of straight up and down? I was thinking that you might be cheating yourself if you use a machine like this. It seems like if you use it for squats, it takes the pressure off of your midsection stabilizers, which to me is one of the benefits of squats. Same deal with shoulder presses, it would take the stress off the muscles that you use to keep the bar balanced.

I'll definitely give it a try; I like to try new things. My only worry is that they put it in place of the squat rack, and had the squat rack sitting in a corner with a sign saying not to use it because it's not bolted down. I hope they're not getting rid of it.

iluvlifting2001
01-31-2003, 11:32 AM
I am not one much for those slanted ones. I like the plain old squat rack. If they are taking it out for good it might be time to find a new gym. I see a lot of people using them though.

I am curious about this also.

phikappa
01-31-2003, 12:07 PM
Personally, I wouldn't let my worst enemy use a Smith machine. I'm just not that cruel of a person. :D Anything that restricts the natural movement of the body shouldn't be used (IMHO). When used for squats, Smith's put a lot of pressure on the knees. I'd ask if they can bolt that squat rack to the floor.

However, if it works for you, more power to ya. Good luck!

TrishB
01-31-2003, 01:00 PM
I like using both free and the smith machine. I use it for squats and chest presses. It gives me a little security blanket for when I am upping the weights and don't want to kill myself if I go into failure before I complete the lift.
Granted you do not use stabilizers when you use the Smith, so switching off to free weights is a good idea.

As long as you use proper form during squats and get under the bar in the right position, you should not cause any injury to knees.

PROSA
01-31-2003, 01:08 PM
I've only done squats with a Smith, so I have no real basis for comparison. What I do know is that I absolutely cannot stand bench presses on a Smith. They feel totally abnormal. If I'm going to do more than I'm comfortable with using free weights, I'll take one of the Hammerstrength plate-loaded models (horizontal bench, decline chest, wide chest) any day over a Smith. At least on the HS machines there's a much more natural-feeling motion.

maxallen
01-31-2003, 03:24 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the input. Hopefully when I get back for my next leg workout they'll have the squat rack set up again.

Well, in a few hours I'm off to Puerto Vallarta for 8 days!:D So my next leg day won't be until a week from Monday. Ya'll have a great week of workouts while I'm gone!!!

Anomeley
01-31-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by phikappa
Personally, I wouldn't let my worst enemy use a Smith machine. I'm just not that cruel of a person. :D Anything that restricts the natural movement of the body shouldn't be used (IMHO). When used for squats, Smith's put a lot of pressure on the knees. I'd ask if they can bolt that squat rack to the floor.

However, if it works for you, more power to ya. Good luck!

You are just cheating yourself. I say lead a coup and recapture the squat rack. I see guys using a Smith for everything and then ask me why they can't seem to get any stronger after they venture over to a "real" bench or squat rack and get stapled to the floor under weight they thought they could handle (and do) on the Smith. Amazing.

Tony G
01-31-2003, 10:56 PM
My guess is that the angle is there to allow your upper body to bend forward as you squat down -simulating the way a squat is done with free weights.

But I never use Smiths either. It doesn't comply with your body's natural movement and tends to jam you up as well as deprive you from the stabilizing element of the movement (I have the same complaint about many machines).

I see a lot of guys use Smiths for shoulder shrugs, but I never tried that.

Macattack
02-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Well i m a smith machine lover,so to speak, its mostly what i use and especially when i go heavy, i have gone from being able to do only 135 squat to425 squat with it, and free weight squat up to 375 max, i know its cheating but i still get a damn good workout without the worry of having to get a spotter. I also use it for heavyincline stuff but thats it..

This new angeled one not sureabout, i usually step forward some under the other type so this does sound better

giantfan43
02-03-2003, 05:47 AM
Like Mac, I use the Smith for my heavy squats and for heavy incline presses... I switch off between free and smith as well .. I find that I get an extremely good workout on the smith for both squats and inclines ... granted, I can lift more on the smith, I think that's a combination of mental (security) and also the stabilizers .. but since I'm not looking to compete, if I feel like I got a good workout, then I'll continue to use it .. my max squat on the smith is 375, 325 on the free .. so is the 50 lbs because of stabilizers or me being a chicken without a spotter .. who knows ..

Also, I have recently started doing shrugs on the smith and I like it .. it won't replace me doing on the free's, but its good for a change of pace ...

Regarding the angled smith, we just got one in our gym as well .. and I will tell you that using that machine versus the other smith in our gym is like night and day .. it does almost simulate the feel of free weight squats ..

So, with all of this said, It comes down to each his own .. if you're looking to compete, don't go near the smith .. otherwise, IMO nothing wrong with using it !