PDA

View Full Version : Cereal

Charger
01-30-2003, 07:32 PM
I am a cereal eater, love it. The hard thing is finding a good healthy cereal that you like. I am not talking oatmeal, I tried to like it and sorry, it is bad.
Anyway, I just found one that's not only good but taste OK. UNCLE SAM CEREAL. Toasted whole grain wheat flakes with crispy whole flaxseed.
7 grams of protein. 0 cholseterol, less than 1 gram suger, I'm impressed. I top it off with a little equal and enjoy.
Just thought I would pass it on. Anyone who can choke down All Bran is going to love this.

Anyone else have a favorite?

Roxie
01-30-2003, 07:34 PM
Uncle Sam is the best for me as well!! I love it...:)

Charger
01-30-2003, 07:40 PM
Ya, I forgot to mention it also has a low GI . For all you Keto fans the cals per gram break down like this Fat 9. Carbs4. Protein4

TrishB
01-30-2003, 07:40 PM
My usual is oatmeal, but I also like Optimum Slim...all organic grains.
Cal100
Fat 1gm
Cholest 0
Carb 21g
Sugars 5g
Protein 5g
Tastes really good.

I never tried the Uncle Sam...but i will pick some up. Thanks for the tip!

back2it
01-30-2003, 07:48 PM
I buy large bags of usually 4 different kinds of "organic" wheat flakes, oat flakes musli and multi grain . Sometimes I mix them in with each other sometimes alone . Add some prolab whey and milk and off to work I go . On the weekends it's usually a good old peameal and eggs with brown toast .

gbat
01-30-2003, 07:52 PM
By golly I didn't know Uncle Sam had flaxseed. Thanks for the steer, I'll check it out!

Steelhand
01-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Is this stuff available in all stores or just health food stores? I've never heard of it. I pound in the oatmeal every morning with skim milk mixed with designer whey. But I don't do flax seed yet. Might be good to mix into my breakfast mix.

gbat
01-30-2003, 08:11 PM
I've seen Uncle Sam at the grocery. Comes in a red, white, and blue box I think.

I grind flaxseed in a coffee grinder then throw it in with the oatmeal and whey. Ya got grind flax, those little buggers will go right through ya otherwise.

Hibiscus09
01-30-2003, 08:24 PM
I'll have to check Uncle Sam out. I only have oatmeal during the week as far as cereal goes. Now on cheat day, I like Honeycomb or Lucky Charms. :)

Steelhand
01-30-2003, 08:27 PM
How 'bout throwing some Uncle Sam in your oatmeal? If I grind the flaxseed in the AM, I'm afraid I'll have three awake children and one PO'd Mrs.! LOL!

BTW, you said you throw the whey in the oatmeal. Maybe you can save me from an internet misinformation ingestion, but I heard that cooking the whey protein (or mixing it in high-temp material like uncooled oatmeal) deteriorates the protein and makes it less fully absorbable. Anyone else heard that?

Gollum
01-31-2003, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up,Charger.I love cereal myself and I cant stand oatmeal.I'm gonna check out Uncle Sam.

MiloMan
01-31-2003, 03:49 AM
Uncle Sam tastes mighty fine, but keep in mind that it has a fair amount of fiber content (as the box points out) - so the term "a natural laxative" isn't printed on the box just to take up space.

Fudog1138
01-31-2003, 04:21 AM
Kashi cereals, especially the crunch.

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size: 1 cup (53g)
Serving Per Container: 8
Calories 190
Calories From Fat 25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Fat 3g 0% Total Carb 36g 12%
Saturated Fat 0g 0% Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sugars 13g
Sodium 95mg 4% Other Carbs 15g
Potassium 300mg 9% Protein 9g

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 4% Iron 10%
Phosphorus 10% Magnesium 10% Copper 8%

Gator
01-31-2003, 05:24 AM
Actually i take the hit and eat a monsta bowl of Cocoa Pebbles w/chocolate milk..
i love that stuff...

Gator

TrishB
01-31-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Gator
Actually i take the hit and eat a monsta bowl of Cocoa Pebbles w/chocolate milk..
i love that stuff...

Gator

I hope you don't spoil that super healthy breakfast by
using no fat milk. :D

Hibiscus09
01-31-2003, 06:38 AM
I've been craving a Boston Cream Doughnut lately -- that sounds like a good breakfast, doesn't it?

maxallen
01-31-2003, 07:13 AM
I eat one or two Special K Bars for breakfast almost every morning. They're yummy. It's just a bar of Special K cereal with pieces of dried blueberries or strawberries mixed in, and a swirl of yogurt frosting on top.

Cal. - 90; Total Fat - 1.5 g; Sat. Fat - 1 g; Cholest - 0; Sodium - 100 mg; Total Carb - 18 g; Fiber - less than 1 g; Sugars - 9 g; Protein 2 g.

It's kinda high in sugars. I guess something has to hold the bar together. And you can't mix in your whey with a cereal bar, but you can drink a shake with it.

Axe
01-31-2003, 07:45 AM
My mother has been making her own Granola for over 30 years now and it's GREAT! Only whole ingredients....I'll try and get the recipie from her today and post it here if anyone's interested. It's a complete wholsome grain cereal that you can make yourself in large quantities and store in your cupboard for quite a while..

Gator
01-31-2003, 07:55 AM
Usually whole milk Trish..

Gator

Originally posted by TrishB
I hope you don't spoil that super healthy breakfast by
using no fat milk. :D

TrishB
01-31-2003, 08:10 AM
Axe...that would be great....thanks. :)

little lats
01-31-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Steelhand
Is this stuff available in all stores or just health food stores? I've never heard of it. I pound in the oatmeal every morning with skim milk mixed with designer whey. But I don't do flax seed yet. Might be good to mix into my breakfast mix.

Hey!! Just read your signature... Is that what you been telling trying to tell me? Lmao...

little lats
01-31-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Gator
i love that stuff...

Gator

At least on Keto I know I can't eat it. Otherwise that whole damn box would be gone... Funny how many so called ADULTS eat kids cereal.

little lats
01-31-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Steelhand
How 'bout throwing some Uncle Sam in your oatmeal? If I grind the flaxseed in the AM, I'm afraid I'll have three awake children and one PO'd Mrs.! LOL!

BTW, you said you throw the whey in the oatmeal. Maybe you can save me from an internet misinformation ingestion, but I heard that cooking the whey protein (or mixing it in high-temp material like uncooled oatmeal) deteriorates the protein and makes it less fully absorbable. Anyone else heard that?

I usually cooked the oatmeal first then let it cool to just above room temparture, then I would mix in the protein. Make sure it is watery enough. I don't think I ever heard the correct answer for you question though. About the wife? No comment... lol...

Hibiscus09
01-31-2003, 08:28 AM
Now, now lats! :)

Eye2_Man
01-31-2003, 08:30 AM
Lucky Charms is my favorite. But recently eatting a 1/2 cup of Sam's Choice Wheat Something-or-Other for breakfast. It seems OK boes does have 6g of sugar per cup.

little lats
01-31-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09
Now, now lats! :)

I was talking about his not mine. ;)

Hibiscus09
01-31-2003, 08:46 AM
Just trying to keep you straight! LOL

little lats
01-31-2003, 08:53 AM
So is he, So is he.... :)

TrishB
01-31-2003, 05:56 PM
I went and got some of the Uncle Sams. Not bad at all. I added skim milk mixed with whey to give it some more protein power.

Thanks Charger...now I have something different I can have for a quick breakfast besides oatmeal. :)

Charger
01-31-2003, 06:37 PM
Sometimes I get lucky.I seen it had flaxseed and figured what the heck, I have choked down all the others.

gbat
01-31-2003, 08:31 PM
Kinda related to this thread. Did ya see the article about super grains?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/anthony10.htm

Talks about the ancient grains: amaranth, quinoa, teff, and millet. Supposed to be high in good stuff and relatively cheap:

http://earthy.com/welcome.pl?ref=googl+page=/pages/a_gourmet_grain.htm (scroll down)

The only one I recognized was millet, read it on the side of a birdseed box. So that's how Big Bird got like that!