PDA

View Full Version : Excess sweating/Hyperhidrosis (Genetic condition): Should I drink Gatorade?

StartStrength
10-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a genetic condition called hyperhidrosis which basically causes certain areas of my body to sweat a lot more than the average person (to read about it go here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperhidrosis))I have one of the most severe forms of it, so my palms, soles of my feet, and lower back sweat profusely just about 24/7. I drink a ton of water everyday to make up for the extra sweat, but my question is whether or not you think I should drink gatorade during my workout, or maybe even sip on it throughout the day? I have tried to do research online on this topic but couldn't yield much. I would really appreciate feedback on this!

Thanks guys.

Mike.Gayner
10-15-2006, 09:55 PM
What's in Gatorade that you think you need? (sorry, dont know anything about gatorade, they done sell it here)

StartStrength
10-15-2006, 10:03 PM
What's in Gatorade that you think you need? (sorry, dont know anything about gatorade, they done sell it here)

Because you lose more than just water when you sweat. For example, you lose a lot of sodium through sweat. It's a reason why athletes drink gatorade when they're playing sports.

Also, when I say gatorade, I really mean any sports drink. They contain electrolytes, which if I'm correct are basically the substances you lose when you sweat..

One probelem with these sports drinks, however, are that they contain carbs, which could become unnecessary carbs if I was to sip on it during the day.

xKarmaPolicex
10-15-2006, 10:06 PM
If you are looking for something to replenish lost electrolytes but with less carbs I would go with pedialyte. I know a lot of distance runners use this instead of Gatorade. Or you could use Gatorade powder post-workout (better than liquid b/c powder has dextrose) so the carbs wouldn't be a problem then. I hope this helps!

StartStrength
10-15-2006, 10:09 PM
If you are looking for something to replenish lost electrolytes but with less carbs I would go with pedialyte. I know a lot of distance runners use this instead of Gatorade. Or you could use Gatorade powder post-workout (better than liquid b/c powder has dextrose) so the carbs wouldn't be a problem then. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice! do you think I should sip on it throughout the day, or just drink it during/post workout?

xKarmaPolicex
10-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Well if you go with the Gatorade I would keep it to after the workout. If you go with the pedialyte I think it would be fine anytime. I'm thinking just keep it to during your workouts or any other time you sweat like crazy though. The reason being is I feel that if you sip on it all day you might end up taking in way too much sodium if you don't keep track of it.

StartStrength
10-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Well if you go with the Gatorade I would keep it to after the workout. If you go with the pedialyte I think it would be fine anytime. I'm thinking just keep it to during your workouts or any other time you sweat like crazy though. The reason being is I feel that if you sip on it all day you might end up taking in way too much sodium if you don't keep track of it.

Thanks man really appreciate the feeback. I'm gonna look into what to get by doing some good old fashioned research. I need to find out a few things: approximate how much I sweat (or how much more than the average person I sweat), how much sodium (and other substances) I'm losing due to the sweat, and see what the best remedy is to make up for it. If it's not much sweat, then maybe one gatorade during my workout or something can be sufficient. I have a feeling it's a lot more though, so I might have to get pedialyte and sip on that during the day or something. I'm gonna call my doctor today and ask her what I should do about it too. I'll keep this thread updated.