PDA

View Full Version : hello and thanks for the motivation

basenji
01-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Glad I found this forum I'm fast approaching 35, I've spent my whole life wanting to look huge and cut. I've gone through stages of fitness (high school sports, military) but I never achieved the look I really wanted.
I hope I'm able to reach my goal this time the difference being I'm older and my patience and focus seems to be better than when I was younger. Wish me luck I'm going to work my ass off (have been for about 4 months now).
I took a look at some of the pictures of the over 35's and its good to know that it's still possible at my age. Saw the pictures of OJS outstanding that's where I want to be in 3 years.

Thanks for letting me say hello and giving a quick run down. Keep motivated everyone.

Gator
01-29-2003, 05:36 AM
Welcome amigo..
You will like it here, great group..

Gator

Original Poster
01-29-2003, 06:12 AM
basenji Welcome.

The only limits are in the mind. LOL

PEACE

Phatman1179
01-29-2003, 06:52 AM
Cool, I'm pretty new here myself. These folks are great! Look forward to seeing you succeed.

Axe
01-29-2003, 07:26 AM
Welcome Basenji! :D

You're gonna love this place!

Good luck working your ass off! I've been wishing my ass off for years with lousy results, so we're all here to get it done! :)

TwoWalks
01-29-2003, 08:54 AM
Basenji, welcome to the 35 board. Folks are great and love answering questions. Hey they have accepted me, so they must be special folks:D

MagicMel
01-29-2003, 09:05 AM
Welcome to the "senior" world.

Lots of good peeps here. No 'tudes.

And they won't tell you to use the Search button either.

Join in at anytime, even if it's just to say hi.

Homie
01-29-2003, 10:29 AM
Welcome bro, keep us posted on your progress. I think you'll like it here, there is a ton of knowledge available from this forum and I'm sure you'll only add to the mix.

wspe
01-29-2003, 10:45 AM
WELCOME>>>>

I"m new too and everyone has been very helpful and positive...
This is the best place I've seen....

"Wishin don't make it so"

back2it
01-29-2003, 04:09 PM
welcome , and don't be afraid to ask . There is quite a depth of knowledge and experience here ..

Gollum
01-29-2003, 04:17 PM
Welcome,Basenji

It's true what Chi_town said.Break down the walls that are in your mind and anythings possible.Doest matter how old you are.We just have to work a little harder than the younger guys.So be it!

Where are you at now as far as weight,height,bodyfat and what are your immediate and long term goals?

basenji
01-29-2003, 06:59 PM
At the moment my weight is 198 height 5'9" bodyfat not sure how to measure yet but if I had to guess maybe 20-22%. i've concentrated mostly on aerobic exercise the first couple of months (weight was 215) have been lifting hard for a few months along with the aerobic. Actually that brings me to a question I have. I've been doing aerobic exercise (jogging sometimes stairmaster to mix things up 30-40 minutes a day 5 days a week) then lifting splitting up body parts so that I only work each 1 once a week. My question is should I cut back on the aerobic? Or change how I work out completely because I'm a beginner? There are some days when I'm sore as hell and others I'm fine. I do take off on the weekends nothing at all those two days.

Thanks

basenji
01-29-2003, 07:06 PM
Almost forgot my short term goals drop about 8 more pounds and then concentrate on my long term of packing on the muscle and proving to myself that I can look and feel better than I ever did in my early 20's. After seeing some of the pictures of the over 35 guys on this forum I know what I'm shooting for because there wasn't one of them I thought did'nt look fantastic.

bb5-0
01-30-2003, 03:32 AM
Welcome to the board "young man"
Motivation is everything and age is but a number! There's no limit to your ambitions and I'm sure that you will soon look better than you were in your 20's! Most of us do!

My advice would be to start paying the utmost attention to your diet (you might try a keto diet to lose your unwanted fat) as I feel this is the most important factor of success and even the hardest training will lead you nowhere without an adequate diet.
There's plenty of useful information in this forum, so read a lot and find out what works best for you.
And don't neglect the factor rest. As we grow older, recuperation might take a little longer, but it 's worth taking the necessary time.

Good luck and keep us posted

Gollum
01-30-2003, 04:02 AM
Basenji,

I think you are doing too much cardio.A lot of folks are under the impression that the more cardio you do,the better.Not always.Cardio can put your body into a catabolic(muscle burning) state and just plain wear you out if you overdo it.And 40 minutes of it 5 times a week sounds like a lot,especially for a beginner.I would cut that down to 3 times a week,at most.Remember,weight lifting is very aerobic!

Also bear in mind that the best way to stimulate fat loss is with short,intense bursts of cardio.Plodding along on a treadmill doesnt cut it.I would rather do 15-20 minutes of intense,sweating,blood and guts training.Someone once compared the fat burning process to spinning a top.Lets say you wind a top back as far as it will go and let it spin.It will spin for a while.This is what happens when you push your metabolism into fat burning mode with intense exercise.You dont burn fat *while* you are exercising,you burn fat for hours afterwards if the metabolism is spinning!Now,say you wind that top back just a little bit and let it go.It will weakly spin and then fall over.This is what those people on the treadmill,watching TV and reading the paper are doing.Need more proof?Compare the builds of an Olympic sprinter and a long distance runner and tell me which body you would prefer.

The best time to do your cardio is in the morning before you have eaten anything.If this is impossible,I would say do it after you weight train,not before.

Gollum
"Cardio Hater"
:D