PDA

View Full Version : Who else has a cold?

phikappa
01-28-2003, 11:35 AM
I caught this cold on Friday and I'm pissed. Nothing throws off the old workout routine like a stupid cold. Now I'm taking antihistimines to fall asleep and mega doses of caffeine to stay awake!

What's everyone's cold remedy? Do you just work through it? I usually stumble through it. What medication do you take to clear you up, but also keep you from feeling drowsy? I also get very particular about food, too. About the only thing I'll eat is Mexican food (or anything else that's really spicey).

Phatman1179
01-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Alright this is a thread I found over at T-MAG, direct your "Thats can't work, it's only a Placebo" flames over there. I have not actually tried this:

"Two tablespoons of baking soda in warm water morning and evening for three days. Your cold will be GONE.

Sound weird? Well, it works because it shifts the pH of your body slightly. Most viruses are extremely pH specific and when you alter your body chemistry a bit they can't survive... which is one of the theories of why OJ works when you are sick."

I can say that it worked wonders in my case, and I didn't even have to take the Baking Soda for three days; one evening dose was enough to have me feeling about 80% better the next morning, and two subsequent doses have me completely cured. I also derived great enjoyment from picturing the viruses in my body gasping for "air" in what for a human would have suddenly been the equivalent of trying to breathe in an atmosphere of pure sulphur or something. Very satisfying.

phikappa
01-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to give that a try tonight. One thing that I'll do for a sore throat is to gargle with warm salt water. Sounds weird, but it does the trick. I like it better than that Chloroseptic crap. Thanks phatman.

little lats
01-28-2003, 11:45 AM
I have had a cough for almost 3 months. I coughed up a good loogy at Spin class last night. :(

phikappa
01-28-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by little lats
I have had a cough for almost 3 months. I coughed up a good loogy at Spin class last night. :(

Sounds like you should see a doctor. And I think that I'll be staying away from any spin classes. Did the loogey make it into the garbage can or did you just spit on the floor and hoped that no one would notice?

maxallen
01-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Zicam is like a miracle drug to me, the closest thing available to a cure for the common cold. It is basically zinc in a gel that you quirt into your nose. Somehow keeps the cold virus from from grabbing hold of the nasal membranes, or something like that. It works best if you start using it at the first hint of a cold - that very first throat tickle - and use it every 4-6 hours for several days. For me, it virutally eliminates the cold altogether, reducing it to some very minor symptoms for a 3 or 4 days. The past three winters I have used it as a preventative measure when I'm around others who have a cold, and I have not had a cold at all during that time.

If it's too late to use Zicam at the first signs of a cold, then I highly recommend Cold-Eeze zinc lozenges. They really ease the cold symptoms in your throat and sinuses. Cold-Eeze is the best because it has more zinc that other brands.

I've also heard that adding a bottle of hydrogen peroxide (the larger size bottles, I think they're usually 32 oz and cost about $1.29) to a warm bath, and soaking for 20-30 minutes is supposed to help a cold. Some people actually drink it, diluted 50/50 with water, but I would be leary of that!

Minotaur
01-28-2003, 12:07 PM
I came down with 'something' last Thursday. I tried to tough it out at work the whole day, but left early. At first I thought my intestinal distress was from drinking too much milk (I'm lactose intolerant, and I push the envelope with milk), but I don't think that was it. I had chills and aches that I could not attribute to working out, and generally felt crappy. I stayed home Friday and took it easy. By Saturday I was remarkably better. Unfortunately now my sinuses are frigged up again... blood and multicolored snot. :(

I've heard that a good way to clear a sinus infection and keep them away is to douche the sinuses with a mixture of warm water, 1/4 tsp. of each salt and baking soda. Use a syringe to shoot the solution up into your nose, then let it drain out.

I've stayed away from the gym so as not to push myself. I plan on going back tonight.

[edit] I should say use a 'bulb syringe', like for flushing your ears. Not an injection syringe. Ouch! :eek:

little lats
01-28-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by phikappa
Sounds like you should see a doctor. And I think that I'll be staying away from any spin classes. Did the loogey make it into the garbage can or did you just spit on the floor and hoped that no one would notice?

Went right back to where it came from!!! Doc hooked me up..

Homie
01-28-2003, 02:50 PM
I fought "something" all of last week. Body aches, chills, fever, nagging cough, shortness of breath. The only good thing is I didn't lose my appetite (although everything tasted terrible), so I didn't lose any muscle weight. I'm still dealing with a little lung congestion but at least I'm back to the gym and haven't lost any strength.

Hibiscus09
01-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Gross, Lats! You didn't lick it up off the handlebars, did you? LOL

gbat
01-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Got broncittus, been on my back 3 days. Got some Doxycillin from doc and taking generic nyquill. I will try the baking soda thing. I use it for heartburn anyway. Thanks.

phikappa
01-28-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09
Gross, Lats! You didn't lick it up off the handlebars, did you? LOL

Okay people, let's settle down. Actually, I'm surprised that no one has posted a pic. Now that I've said that, please DON'T post a pic!!!!!

TrishB
01-28-2003, 05:44 PM
OMG.....I have completely lost my appetite for the nite. I will be skipping that last meal for sure.
You guys can be really, really gross. :mad:

phikappa
01-28-2003, 05:52 PM
Obviously I started this thread in the wrong section. I should have started it in the "Losing Weight" section, 'cuz nobody feels like eating now!

PC1
01-28-2003, 07:04 PM
I'll pass along 2 things that have worked really REALLY well for me.

1. EAT FRUIT.... 5 pieces a day, every day. Typically I like to have an apple, pear, orange, bananna, and grapes. Sometimes strawberries, kiwi's, etc. This on top of 2 servings of vegetables a day.

2. ECCINACEA... Around October, I get the more expensive liquid based stuff and LOAD UP for about 4 weeks, taking it 5 days a week twice a day. If I start to catch something during the Winter I'll reload again.

I used to catch colds ALL THE TIME, from October right through April. Winter is fairly long here in Massachusetts. It would start as a head cold, change to a chest cold, end up as a sore throat, and sometimes go round again. But I swear that now, even if I start to catch something, I never really get very sick from it.

It really has been a night and day difference for me. And the great part about the fruit is that you can even throw some of it in your protein drinks if you'd care to. But I have recently been advised not to do this post work out, and so am spreading out my intake during the course of the day.

Good luck.

gbat
01-28-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Phatman1179
Alright this is a thread I found over at T-MAG, direct your "Thats can't work, it's only a Placebo" flames over there. I have not actually tried this:

"Two tablespoons of baking soda in warm water morning and evening for three days. Your cold will be GONE.

Sound weird? Well, it works because it shifts the pH of your body slightly. Most viruses are extremely pH specific and when you alter your body chemistry a bit they can't survive... which is one of the theories of why OJ works when you are sick."

I can say that it worked wonders in my case, and I didn't even have to take the Baking Soda for three days; one evening dose was enough to have me feeling about 80% better the next morning, and two subsequent doses have me completely cured. I also derived great enjoyment from picturing the viruses in my body gasping for "air" in what for a human would have suddenly been the equivalent of trying to breathe in an atmosphere of pure sulphur or something. Very satisfying.

Dang! I tried the 2 tablespoons full of baking soda and felt like I was gonna hurl for the next hour. Then I got a major case of the runs. Hit the toilet about 10 times. Feel ok now, though. You sure it wasn't 2 teaspoons?

Hibiscus09
01-28-2003, 08:34 PM
Well, did it make you forget you had bronchitis? :)

little lats
01-28-2003, 08:41 PM
Sorry to ruin everyones dinners. Just saying how it is. I have been fighting this for quite a while.. Your riding a bike what are you going to do spit on the floor? In my water bottle? Come on give me Ideas!! :D

bizzaro
01-28-2003, 09:01 PM
im surprised no one has said garlic. I make a 4 clove garlic sandwich with cheese. and take about 2000 miligrams of vitamin c
and boom its gone. and bump on the zinc and greens plus works as well

Laurie
01-29-2003, 01:58 AM
Yeah, caught one too....was able to go through my routine Monday. But Tuesday....did not feel up to it. My daughter came home from school with the flu last Thursday. Now everyone is getting sick from one thing or another.

True to form though, if everyone else gets the flu, I get a mild case of the Cold or nothing. Right now, my cold has turned into a case of laryngitis but earlier Tuesday, just aches and felt "limp". But the aches....not sure if this was from the cold or just from the workout. Last time I caught the flu was over 30 years ago. Good genes and immunine system, I guess.

I know about the gargling with salt water for a sore throat...that's an old remedy. But the baking soda, I have not. Have to keep that one in mind.

The flu that is going around now in my area, really hangs on if you get it. So many "snowbirds" are hacking and coughing right now....its a wonder anyone can stay healthy.

Hibiscus09
01-29-2003, 05:04 AM
I really like the Zicam also. Echinachea works well. My son has been sick since Friday & is finally going back to school today! He's very thrilled this morning. :)

bigjay00
01-29-2003, 05:09 AM
i havn't had a cold for about siz months now. hope i would so it will be over and done with now

Gator
01-29-2003, 05:46 AM
I liquid Echinacea (sp) myself to death when the first sign of a cold arrives..
Works for me, gets right in the system, quicker than the pills..

Gator

Axe
01-29-2003, 07:36 AM
Hey Little Lats,

Bro, you are ALL class!

I'm sitting at my computer, gagging.....

Eye2_Man
01-29-2003, 08:50 AM
Sorry to hear about your colds.

You know, this post and the "Gym or Home" topic came to mind. Another advantage of working out at home is to avoid all the germs at the gym or fitness center.

MagicMel
01-29-2003, 09:08 AM
Yeah, Eye2,
And you can actually hock it up and OUT in the privacy of your own home.
OMG, did I just "bring that up" again?

phikappa
01-29-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
Sorry to hear about your colds.

You know, this post and the "Gym or Home" topic came to mind. Another advantage of working out at home is to avoid all the germs at the gym or fitness center.

No kidding. With sickies at work, at the gym and the kids (who are always bringing something home), I'm surprised I'm not in the E.R. I'm feeling much better today. I'll probably only use two boxes of tissues today! I might even be able to do squats on Friday....Yessss!!!

little lats
01-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Axe
Hey Little Lats,

Bro, you are ALL class!

I'm sitting at my computer, gagging.....

LMAO!!! I will stop posting now. Yah right... :D

Phatman1179
01-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Sorry GBAT thats what the thread over there said. Maybe a 1 teaspoon break in period. Other than the hour long hurling reaction time, did you feel better later in the day?

gbat
01-29-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Phatman1179
Sorry GBAT thats what the thread over there said. Maybe a 1 teaspoon break in period. Other than the hour long hurling reaction time, did you feel better later in the day?

I went to work today. Feeling better. I am also on Doxycillin perscribed by doc. So I can't say what is making me feel better. The 10 times to the toilet probably helped if nothing else! :D

tracyb555
01-29-2003, 02:04 PM
I had a flu bug last week. My best remedy for a cold is sleeping it off. Once I've had about 20 hours of sleep, I can usually shake just about anything! So instead of looking for meds that DON'T make me drowsy, I seek out meds that DO make me drowsy!

Laurie
01-29-2003, 07:41 PM
Well, mine has finally settled down to just a mild case of laryngitis. It could have been worse, considering my daughter came down with the flu.

But Tuesday, I just could not do anything.....just the first day cold "blues" and feeling washed out. So, went in today and was able to do some lifting without any problems.

Now my husband is getting some sniffles and his cure is Colodal Silver.

phikappa
01-30-2003, 09:27 AM
Laurie,

Sounds like you're in the same boat as my wife, she lost her voice too. Not that I'm complaining :)

What the heck is Colodal Silver?

Where in AZ are you? Don't tell me Yuma. No one actually "lives" in Yuma. I spent 10 years in AZ. The winters are fine but the summers suck.

little lats
01-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Now it's the stomach flu. No I didn't go to class last night. So no discusting posts. :)

TrishB
01-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Lats, new rules for you. You are not allowed to post anymore when you are sick. You get a little too descriptive. We love ya and feel sorry that you are sick...but stay away.
:D

little lats
01-30-2003, 01:33 PM
;)

Hibiscus09
01-30-2003, 02:01 PM
Glad you didn't go to class & so is everyone else in the class. No telling what you would have left behind -- it would be kind of hard to send that one back to where it came from! :)

Charger
01-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Thats it, I caught a cold through the net. The first Cybercold. I came down with a good one so far. I am going to try and finish my GVT routine this weekend then get over this nasty cold. My ears feel like I got bugs crawling around in them.

Roxie
01-30-2003, 07:32 PM
I just started today...sore throat and stuffy head..just all around yucky feeling..:(

TrishB
01-30-2003, 07:34 PM
Roxie....where you hanging around Charger today??

Charger
01-30-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm telling ya, were spreading this ion the net:D Lots of yuck going around, oh well. Just means more rest, I love bed:D

gbat
01-30-2003, 07:56 PM
They are closing schools around here. Everyone in my classroom has been sick. Sickest winter I can remember for a long time. Maybe the stress from 9/11?

IPR
01-30-2003, 08:03 PM
No cold here. Wife has one, daughter has one, work colleagues have them................me, nothing :D

Is it because of keto ...... I like to think so, but who knows.

Hibiscus09
01-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Sorry you guys are sickies! :( My son just got over his nasty little bug that kept him sick all weekend & home from school until Wednesday. I've been spraying him with Lysol. LOL

Gbat hasn't it been extra cold your way? My cousin keeps telling me the temps in Ohio via our family web page. We had snow last week & now it's back to 60s & sunny. We have crazy winter weather -- parkas one day, short sleeves the next.

gbat
01-30-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09
Sorry you guys are sickies! :( My son just got over his nasty little bug that kept him sick all weekend & home from school until Wednesday. I've been spraying him with Lysol. LOL

Gbat hasn't it been extra cold your way? My cousin keeps telling me the temps in Ohio via our family web page. We had snow last week & now it's back to 60s & sunny. We have crazy winter weather -- parkas one day, short sleeves the next.

Yup, been colder than a witch's mammary. Feel real sorry for ya in yer short sleeves! :D Are there still a lot of scientists that say cold weather has no bearing on sickness? Coulda fooled me!

Laurie
01-30-2003, 09:48 PM
OOOooooo, Phikappa....better not let your wife stand over your shoulder reading that!

Coloidal Silver (sorry for the typo) is an old remedy that is making a comeback in some circles. Some people swear by it. Here is link: http://www.wishgranted.com/

Kirby makes his own. Because of all my jewelry work over the past 30 years, I am sensitive to some metals. I can "taste" them if my skin comes in contact with copper, brass, German silver or sterling/pure silver.

I can wear sterling or pure silver and absorb some of this into my system. Works on a similar idea as wearing a copper bracelet for arthritis and other ailments....only my skin is very acidic and turns the copper green quickly. (I cannot stand the taste of copper in my mouth.) I do not wear the silver for any medicinial reason....just the pieces I do have, I like to wear. Any additional effects are a plus.

No, I do not drink the colloidal silver.......

phikappa
01-31-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Laurie
OOOooooo, Phikappa....better not let your wife stand over your shoulder reading that!

My wife doesn't let me on the internet at home, so I dont have to worry about that :))

So, Coloidal Silver removes the impurities in the air? Do they make anything that will get rid of the kids? They've got the most germs!

Gbat - It's been above 75 degrees here all week, so I know the weather had nothing to do with my cold. I think Charger is right, this must by a cyber cold.

Roxie
01-31-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by phikappa

Gbat - It's been above 75 degrees here all week, so I know the weather had nothing to do with my cold. I think Charger is right, this must by a cyber cold. Bump on that...gotta love Cali wheather :p

I honestly don't know how I caught my cold :confused: It must be a cyber cold!! :)

Viola
02-01-2003, 12:27 PM
And now you have all given it to me. i haven't had a cold in well over a year. I guess thats what I get for reading this thread. LOL

TrishB
02-01-2003, 12:37 PM
Well, I practically live here, and I have not gotten it. I guess I have built up an immunity from so much expose to you guys.

phikappa
02-04-2003, 04:34 PM
...Feeling hungry again...sex drive coming back....not quite so tired....overall I'm about 90% of my usual self....Friday is looking good! :cool: