PDA

View Full Version : Home Gym or join one

freeweightsli
01-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Help folks.

Until my son started playing travel hockey, I used to work out 4 times a week, 2hrs a day.
Now I cant get the motivation or muster to do anything but some ab work.
because of this, I have put on 30 lbs this past year and feel and look like ^(&(&^.

The quesiton is would I receive best results attempting to utilize my home gym or should I joing an outside gym?

Help

Bill

giantfan43
01-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Welcome freeweight !

Tuff question and I'm not sure anyone can really answer that .. I know from my perspective, about 7 years ago, I switched to working out at home .. I never quite stuck to it .. too many distrctions .. I used to get in 2 -3 workouts a week which is good but never consistent .. about 1 year ago, I joined a gym by my house .. I now go every morning very early 5 days a week and since I've been going, I've only missed a day due to sickness or out of town .. never due to distractions or laziness .. now maybe I'm maturing or something but I'm not sure if I had a home gym now, I would be as dedicated .. I will tell you that alot of the good folks on this board do have a home gym so you probably need to hear some more opinions ..

Welcome again

bb5-0
01-27-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi Bill
Welcome to the board

I would advise you to join an outside gym and try to find a training partner to motivate you. They probably have better equipment than you have and it's always motivating to try new machines, discuss diet or programs with other people or see bigger guys training.
Moreover if you train at home, unless you find training partners, you will have no-one to spot you , correct you if you don't do the exercice correctly or push you beyond your limits.

TwoWalks
01-27-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by freeweightsli
Now I cant get the motivation or muster to do anything but some ab work. would I receive best results attempting to utilize my home gym or should I joing an outside gym?

Bill, it sounds too me like the question really should be "How to get back the motivation". If you use a home gym or if you belong to a gym is not as important as the motivation. My answer would be to get a workout partner. When you do and set workout times with them, you have and feel more obligation to keep the workout schedule - also working with a partner can create more motivation too push yourself to perform.

As too the question of the Home gym or the Membership gym, you would need to look at which one will be the easiest for you to not put off or miss workouts. There may be more distractions at home and more people pulling at you to do other things. You eliminate this when you stop at the gym on the way too or from work. People then seem to adjust better too your schedule.

Phatman1179
01-27-2003, 01:04 PM
For me I could never work out at home. Damm couch and Fridge would get me every time. Or Phone calls, or jars needing to be opened. When I get ready to go to the gym I like the ride and the routine to get me ready. When I hit the doors I'm ready to lift, very focused, single minded.

Eye2_Man
01-27-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi Bill

Probably +'s and -'s to either approach. At home, you can train hard and do any exercise you want without continually measuring yourself against the rest of the guys. The bad thing is you don't have a training buddy to spot or help you do forced reps.

TrishB
01-27-2003, 05:36 PM
I would pick an outside gym anyday.
I know at home, I would be on BB.com with a dumbell in one hand, typing with the other...and calling it my arm workout. ;)

I need to be at the gym at 5am, so no excuse prevents me from going later in the day. ANd I need to be at a place where there is nothing else to do, but workout. Not so at home.

As far as motivation. That is something that comes with time and habit. You might be all gun-ho at first, like all the new years resolutioniers.
But it is after the first few weeks are over that is tough to stick with it.
Force yourself to do it. After a few months, it will become something you need to do. :)

back2it
01-27-2003, 06:08 PM
I am working out at home it has its good and bad points . I can do it when I want and no I don't skip workouts that would be cheating no one but myself . I have made a commitment and some long and short term goals and will stick with it . I say that and believe me I will do it barring unforseen misfortune . But up until only the past few years of my life I would never have been able to do it and stay with it . I don't know what has changed but I want to get in shape and be big again more than anything else . I do miss having someone to workout with but I will be getting a power cage in the spring , I am working around it right now .
The gym was a big inspiration to me for a good many years and I won't knock it I built a pretty decent body in a commercial gym in the 80's but it is not for Me at this time . Although I did not have the mental disipline at that time to workout at home I had most of the equipment required to do it but I enjoyed the social aspect of it and the challenge of working out with a few others . That is what kept me there . Sorry for being so long winded but you are the only one that can answer your question . I suggest you take out a short term membership so you can judge for yourself .

Charger
01-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Besides the motivation and knowledge you gain at a gym, it gives you another reason to get out of the house.
Going to the gym is my treat, it is MY time, no one can mess with that. I love it.
Did I say no one? Today I was going out the door heading to the gym and work called, damn!

MiloMan
01-27-2003, 10:37 PM
Is it better to train at home, or to train at a commercial gym...I can't say what would be right for you.

Only you can judge what would be right for you.

No one knows you like you do. It all depends on you. For me and some others, home is the best place to train. For a larger number of people, going to a gym is the best way to train.

Try a gym (one that doesn't insist on a long-term contract) for a few months. If you don't like that gym, try a different one for a few more months. If you can't stand that one either, sit down, determine what you can allow as far as a budget for equipment, and then consider lifting at home.

tracyb555
01-27-2003, 10:42 PM
We all have our preferences, but sometimes having a variety of options is nice too. I belong to a gym, but also have some stuff at home. My preference is to work out at the gym, but on the days when I'm pressed for time, can't workout until later, etc. doing a workout at home still beats doing nothing.

MagicMel
01-27-2003, 11:36 PM
When I was single, I would get just as good a workout at home as I did at the gym. But now that I'm married with kid (soon to be kidS) there is no way that I can concentrate in a home gym.
Things change, and you just have to figure out what works best for you.

Axe
01-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Good advice all around....I really think it depends on your circumstances...

For me, I prefer the homegym, because I'm home alone during the day and have no distractions and I find myself WAY too self conscious in a gym.

Like they say though, there are advantages and disadvantages to both...it's your call man! :)

Brother Phil
01-29-2003, 08:09 PM
I feel, home gym or not, the best motivator, if you can find one, is a workout partner. The problem is, if you don't have one, you will have a hard time finding one at a home gym. I believe I was lucky to have found a great partner, and we pooled our resources and put together a decent home gym. Our only problem was that the only space we could find was in an old tobacco barn which is either hot or cold, depending on the season. We decided to join a local gym this week to escape the cold and having a few more nice peices of equipment, I'm sure, will aid in my personal progress. I guess this decision is based on personal preference. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Charger
01-30-2003, 05:12 AM
Just as we all can teach and learn from sharing info here, the same is true at the gym. I find learned alot of good info at the gym I may not have at home, not to mention some new friends.

Gator
01-30-2003, 05:44 AM
Personally Id love to have a home gym, but financially that aint gonna happen..Powerball ! Powerball !!!
Plus i think Id miss all the crap thrown around in the gym b/t my buddies and myself....
And the sights as well..

Gator

wspe
01-30-2003, 05:31 PM
I guess I would have to say I prefer the home gym although my home gym is really at work.. Not everyone is able to do that I know, but I find it real easy to work out before or after work without having to go home and change and drive to the fitness center. Some times I go to the center for BS and the treadmill.
But for lifting I like being able to go when I like and not feeling rushed or waiting on the power rack or some such.

"A good drinking buddy never heard the story before"

MiloMan
01-30-2003, 06:46 PM
If you train at home, but find yourself cutting your workouts short because it's so easy to just stop and forget about it, then a training partner might be just the ticket. Whether you work out at home or go to a gym, workout partners can help keep the other half motivated because they don't want to let the other person down.

I had a friend that always cut his (road bicycling) workouts short. He would leave his house, and start on a long circuit around that part of the city - but always gave up early and went home. He tried riding straight out, but still quit early and headed back home.

He finally hit upon having his wife drive him and his bike out of the city (however far he intended to ride) and drop him off. Since he had to get home, quitting early wasn't an option!

If you aren't the self-motivated type right now, perhaps a partner could keep your eye on the ball.

gymstud2002
01-30-2003, 10:29 PM
You could try a little of both with some borrowed or used home equipment and a short-term gym membership. See what you like. For lifting, I need a gym environment. But nothing beats cardio at home. I do it first thing in the a.m. when it's most effective and I get it out of the way. Helps wake me up. Otherwise, it's too easy to blow off.

gymstud2002
01-30-2003, 10:34 PM
You could try a little of both with some borrowed or used home equipment and a short-term gym membership. See what you like. For lifting, I need a gym environment. But nothing beats cardio at home. I do it first thing in the a.m. when it's most effective and I get it out of the way. Helps wake me up. Otherwise, it's too easy to blow off.

arkangel
02-10-2003, 10:18 PM
I've done both, and have a fair amount of home equipment-- enough for a large master bedroom. I've belonged to the YMCA for several years.
Basically, it is about time... and how much of it you have to get there, work out, and get back to your life. It is also a story about motivation.
My time at the "Y" was great! They had all the Cybex and Nautilus machines, plus dozens of bikes and such. It was great to be in such a positive environment...finish the whole thing with a swim (laps), a steam bath and life doesn't get much better. Take into account that you will have to deal with all the "*******s and elbows", as we used to say in the Army, and that your rounds through the machines might now always be fluid. Also take into account that getting there can be just as harsh as a deterent. Do you feel you need the sweat and grunting of others around you to make the workout effective? Are you a self starter, who gets excited about working at 4am???
WELL... when the gym started getting more expensive, and I realized I wasn't making spin class, or much of anything else... I looked into some home stuff. There is a lot of good equipment out there and it WILL hold up over the years.
I 'm not saying it is cheap, but never buy cheap or without watching the videos more than three times... so you will know that the equipment is FOR YOU.
1) Soloflex... probabily the next best thing to free weights. The
machine is easy to put together, sturdy, has an infinite
amount of variety, and fits into a pretty small space. It even
looks great. Once you have mastered where the bar goes
and how to calibrate the rubber bands, it will work well for
you. They have the best set of dumb bells anywhere and
the supporting stands, benches as well. Check out "www.
Soloflex.com".
2) Bowflex... not as heavy as the Soloflex, but around the
same price. Different way of calibrting workout stress, but
easier to knock down a full workout. It folds up and rolls
into a small space well. Get the ULTRA... as it has all the
features that make the Bowflex worthwhile... a great
workout, without a lot of heavy steel. It has it's limitations
but you decide how tough you want your workout. "www.
Bowflex.com". Very impressive sales pitch.
3)Trimax... if you can still find one out there. It works on
shocks, like a rower, but is pretty ingenious... thought that
it was a toss-up between this and the Soloflex. It's pretty
simple and everything is layed out there plain enough. Good
luck finding one though.
4) NOW... we get into things like HOIST, and Nautilus free wt
machines. I just got a Nautilus free-weight system and I
love it. It is strong, well thought out and the bench is great.
After not having pumped "iron" for awhile, I am finding the
experience different and fun. If you are serious go for it!!!
I try to shy away from the wt plate stacks... as they can be
pretty arbitrary (how much wt they give you), and their
portability isn't there. The rear-loading machines allow you
do "your own thing" and load the weight that is good for
you. The matter of cost can be from the sublime to the
ridiculous, though... and they can take up a lot of room.
5) CHECK out your local OMNI-FITNESS... they are a great
showroom for stuff... you can see right here what will
work in your space.
Hope this helped...
If you want to chat more about this... e-mail me at
TRAVEN8@HOTMAIL.COM

Arkangel
Oakland/CA