arms 12"
waist 38"
thighs 21"
calves 14"

------------------------------------------

GOALS:

15% BF
185 lbs. LEAN!!!
Over the years, my chest seems to have fallen down to my waist. I'd like to move it back up to where is should be... :)

PLANS TO ACHIEVE GOALS:

Commit myself to the BFL Challenge and follow it closely

Commit to you fine people here and ask that you PLEASE kick my butt regularly (self-motivation is my biggest weak point)

-----------------------
DIET:

BFL - 6 meals a day
Say 'Goodbye' to the Beer Store
Drink TONS of water

SUPPLEMENTS:

Multi-Vitamin
ZMA
Creatine
Glutamine
B-Complex
protein/carb shakes (occassionaly)

-------------

I just took the 'Before' picture....it ain't pretty!

I'm not really sure what the protocol is here about regularly updating my stats, but I'll be on here constantly in order to maintain some semblance of motivation...

Starting the day after the SuperBowl wasn't one of my wiser decisions..I feel like poop! :(

Gator
01-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Good luck Axe !!
Dont worry the people here should kick u when needed..LOL

Keep us updated as to how yer doing...

Gator

Gator
01-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Good luck Axe !!
Dont worry the people here should kick u when needed..LOL

Keep us updated as to how yer doing...

Gator

TwoWalks
01-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Axe, congratulations on the decision and commitment to do this. As far as the glute kicking for motivation - Have no fear it shall be, just tell us you are screwing up in avoidable areas and you will hear it:D

Hint: for a lot of folks water is the hardest part and when taking in large amounts of protien the most needed: Divide your daily water into five bottles - drink one bottle at each of three main meals and then drink the other two between those meals. I never drank more than a glass or two a week. Now I find that most days I drink those five and atleast one more during workouts plus extra at night.

Go for it, you have nothing to lose except those bad feelings.

Hibiscus09
01-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Good luck, Axe! I'm doing BFL too -- on week 4. :)

Phatman1179
01-27-2003, 01:18 PM
Axe,
Good Luck!! Stay Motivated, Be fearless, Go Big.

Eye2_Man
01-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Good luck man!

Everyone here is really supportive. Keep us posted on your gains!

TrishB
01-27-2003, 05:26 PM
Axe....you will get that chest back up where it belongs, and when you do...you will see a great sixpack underneath. :)

I did BFL for 3 challenges and got into the best shape of my life. Then I came onto BB.com last year and the body when to hell....lol.
I guess no one here kicked my butt hard enough. :p
Actually it was the overindulgence on Thankgiving and Christmas, and all the days inbetween that did it to me.

Your goals are very realistic and you will reach them.
BFL is a great program to get you going in the right direction.
And you will get tons of great support here.

Good luck!!!

tracyb555
01-27-2003, 09:57 PM
Welcome Axe! Glad to have you joining the challenge. Here's a 'kick' from me. There are lots of great folks here who are both inspiring and fun. I think you're going to like it here.

Axe
01-28-2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the great welcome!!!!!! Much appreciated!

This is now day 2 of the challenge and my first comment is...am I alone in feeling that eating like this is an ENORMOUS amount of food?

I'm not using any shakes, just hole foods 6x/day. Now I realize that I'm coming off of several years of only eating once or twice a day, but this really is a bit challenging to stuff that much food down....(how I got fat is due to cooking with tons of butter and oils and a fondness for fine Canadian beer)

My first cardio on the stationary bike was an eye opening feeling to say the least! I loved it! The constant transitioning of the levels really keeps it interesting and truly exhilarating! The 20 min flew by and I'm sure I reached my level 10 at the end...however, my heart rate peaked at 166. Is this bad or too high? I was loving it though....was sweating like crazy!

Thanks again everybody! :)

TwoWalks
01-28-2003, 11:19 AM
Axe, you probably are eating an enormous amount of food:) I know that I feel like that often, even though I am losing a good deal of fat. Now here is something to view that will help with the mental part. The highest calories (junk food) has the lowest volume - when substituting good food for junk food, the volume goes up and the calories go down. What are the calores in one good Canadian Beer? What are the calories in 1 gallon of water?

My biggest OOPS was cutting out all the junk food and not replacing the calories with whole foods, body went into starvation mode, even though I was still eating my normal amounts a 3 meals a day. I then added Protien drinks and flaxseed oil etc for more calories and away the fat went again.:)

Keep it up you are doing a good job and please don't over rationalize or throw your self into stress, these stop fat burning.:) Oh yeh, lose the beer and drink your water ..... LOTS OF WATER.

Axe
01-30-2003, 07:53 AM
Well...today was cardio and my heartrate peaked at 171...yikes, that sounds high, but it was a great workout!

I had a protein/carb shake right after and threw my creatine and glutamine in it...I hope this is a good idea

I'm still sore from tuesday's upper body workout and I'm supposed to do upperbody again tomorrow, so I'm not too sure if that would be overtraining or not, but I feel great so far!

*Just a side note, I had to switch monday/tuesday workouts around because my homegym wasn't ready, so I did cardio on monday and upperbody on tuesday. Next week I will be back to the normal Mon-Wed-Fri lifting and tues-thurs-sun cardio with saturdays as my free day.

Yesterday's lower body workout went well, but I don't seem to feel the same pump or even near the same soreness in my muscles as when I do upper body. It's always been like that...not sure why. I feel I train to level 10....

Keep up the great work everybody! :)

TwoWalks
01-30-2003, 08:06 AM
even near the same soreness in my muscles as when I do upper body. It's always been like that...not sure why.

While you grew out of shape - how far did you walk with you weight? How far did you walk on your hands each day? :) Legs have been receiving a workout when the rest has not. Also the legs are far bigger muscles and distribute the load over a large area.

Axe
01-30-2003, 08:16 AM
hhmmm...good point. I suppose pushing a mouse around your desk doesn't count eh? ;)

Hibiscus09
01-30-2003, 08:23 AM
Looking good, Axe! I also had a hard time with the eating too much food thing. I'm finally listening & have upped my calories & feel like a total pig some days. However, I feel much better & am doing much better with the weight lifting so I think I'll keep it up! :)

TwoWalks
01-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Axe
I suppose pushing a mouse around your desk doesn't count eh? ;)

Only if it pushes back and weighs more than you do:)

TrishB
01-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Axe...
you are doing super and I love your enthusiasm. :)

As far as your heart rate, you want to figure out your maximum heart rate and then your target range.

Maximum heart rate is appox 220 minus your age.
Target heart rate is 60-85% of that. You want to stay in that range during your 20 minutes cardio, with interval spikes upwards to 90-100%.

Eating 6x a day will always keep you from feeling hungry and will keep your metabolism from slowing down. It works wonders to help with losing the fat.

Keep up great work!!

Axe
02-03-2003, 08:10 AM
Thanks Trish! Excellent info about the heart rate.

I'm completely used to the 6 meals a day now and I'm feeling GREAT! I almost don't even think about it now...the old body clock goes off about every 2 or 2.5 hours reminding me to eat.

Here's my first update...........

Stats taken @ 6:00 p.m.Sunday evening BEFORE supper

Beginning stats as of January 27, 2003

20% BF
174 lbs. (34.8 lbs fat - 139.2 lbs. mass)

End of WEEK 1 stats as of February 2, 2003

19% BF
177 lbs. (33.6 lbs fat - 143.4 lbs. mass)

Fat - Lost 1.2 lbs
Mass - Gained 4.2 lbs

I am EXACTLY where I want to be!! (YAY!) Gaining mass and losing fat. I am really trying hard to gain to a minimum of 185 lbs. LEAN

I'm loving the workouts...look forward to freeday and I feel GREAT!

Have a fabulous day everyone! :D

P.S. - On a bit of a side note (this is where the butt kicking comes in) I blew the diet friday night. I had 5 meals instead of 6 and my body wasn't about to let me forget it. Then, my parents decided to take our daughter for the WHOLE weekend! (yippee!) so it was out for a bottle of wine and a great evening. Saturday was freeday and I still have pangs of guilt over that overindulgence of disgusting food...oh well. Sunday, right back on track!

Plus we bought the final dumbbells that now make our set complete...so...bring it on!!

Hibiscus09
02-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Axe -- great progress! I'm impressed!

TwoWalks
02-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Axe
I blew the diet friday night. I had 5 meals instead of 6 and my body wasn't about to let me forget it. Then, my parents decided to take our daughter for the WHOLE weekend! (yippee!) so it was out for a bottle of wine and a great evening. Saturday was freeday and I still have pangs of guilt over that overindulgence of disgusting food...oh well. Sunday, right back on track!

NO NO NO you did not blow the diet Friday night - you blew off one meal:)

Saturday is free day and that is exactly what it means, the fact you feel guilt and the fact your body will not let you forget it, reflects the life style change that is taking place ... As good as it gets:)

Fantastic results ... Of course I am a believer that any time result are going the direction of choice it is a good thing, keep it up :D

tracyb555
02-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Axe - way to go! Sounds like you are on the right track and making excellent progress. Keep us posted!

TrishB
02-03-2003, 04:18 PM
Great progress Axe! :)

Axe
02-10-2003, 03:31 PM
*sigh*

Well, it's time to update the stats for the end of week 2.

Here it is...

Beginning stats as of January 27, 2003

20% BF
174 lbs. (34.8 lbs fat - 139.2 lbs. mass)

End of WEEK 1 stats as of February 2, 2003

19% BF
177 lbs. (33.6 lbs fat - 143.4 lbs. mass)

Fat - Lost 1.2 lbs
Mass - Gained 4.2 lbs

End of WEEK 2 stats as of February 9, 2003 (End of week #2)

19% BF
179 lbs. (34 lbs fat - 145 lbs. mass)

Fat - Gained .4 lbs
Mass - Gained 1.6 lbs

I just don't understand it...this is sooo depressing! I didn't miss ONE workout...stuck to the diet and GAINED .4 lbs of fat! ACK!

Man, there must be something I'm missing or doing wrong!

OK, confessional time...I DID go off ONE lousy night. We had a snow storm here last tuesday night and my wife was stuck in another town until wednesday night, so I grabbed a bottle of wine and watched 2 movies. I didn't cheat on the meals or anything, just had some wine one night. Is that enough to screw up everything for the week?

I just don't know...maybe I'm self-destructing on freeday or something.... :(

I REALLY want to be 185 lbs. but I seem to be suddenly moving backwards....

Hibiscus09
02-10-2003, 03:40 PM
Axe -- good thing you aren't a woman! You'd be suicidal! Try bloating 5 lbs when you're pmsing after you've been eating that well! LOL

Seriously, you're doing great! Are you switching over to fibrous veggie carbs for your last meal? It's supposed to be better to do this rather than having rice, pastas, breads, etc. I try not to have anything like that after 6:00p.m.

Remember, you're only at the end of week 2!! (I'M A FINE ONE TO BE TALKING!!)

Stay positive! You're doing great! :)

MagicMel
02-10-2003, 04:26 PM
Axe, you are doing just fine, bro. Losing fat can be just like watching the stock market. Even though it's in a downward trend, it still has peaks and valleys. You probably measured on a "peak". But regardless, you are talking about .4lbs fat, spread over a 6ft body. You can visualize it as a pinky fingernail's worth of margarine spread over a french roll! Not much.
You are in this for the long run, and it's only your week 2.
Just enjoy the rollercoaster ride. Your goal is just around the next couple of twistin' turns.
We're here for you.

TrishB
02-10-2003, 04:43 PM
I think you are doing just fine Axe. When you get down into the BF in the teens you won't be seeing the drastic drops that others have when they are alot higher.

Don't worry honey...this is a new week! You are doing great!!!

Of course, I am the grumpiest woman on earth when I don't see any progress...but I give good advice! :)

TwoWalks
02-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Axe, not all things arrive in the package we thought they would. First you are focusing on a scale weight and putting on Muscle mass. Now about that 0.4#'s of FAT - hah, probably water retention from the wine. Now can that wine be the culprit - well lets see: less than 1400 calories - yep that wine could have done it easy:)

Stay positive - visualize the waist shrinking - ignore the scale weight and focus on the bf% - now get back to work:D