PDA

View Full Version : What is this elbow pain that wonít go away.

clive
10-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Somebody might be able to help here, Iíve had this annoying pain in my elbow for sometime now.
Itís not in any muscle but seems to be in the bone. Itís aggravated with tricep work but. If I start off gently the pain goes and I have no problems but returns later after the workout.
I feel I can live with it until I knock my elbow against something hard and it can be quite painful.
I really must sort it out now, any suggestions

Chipman
10-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Go to the doctor.

hapkido
10-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Sounds like classic tessis elbow, there are alot of sites with detailed solutions for this problem.
Do you have a physical therapist on your insurance program?

Stenn
10-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Iíve had this annoying pain in my elbow for sometime now.
Itís not in any muscle but seems to be in the bone. Itís aggravated with tricep work but. If I start off gently the pain goes and I have no problems but returns later after the workout.

I'm having the exact same symptoms. When I see my doctor for a physical later this month, this one will be first on my list when he asks, "How are you feeling?"

EMISGOD
10-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Sounds like tendonitis or a really bad pull. Those require time off.

vagymguy
10-07-2006, 07:23 AM
I had the same thing. Told my chiropractor and he did a couple adjustments in my elbow and wrist and it felt 100% better. since i see him once-a-week anyway, he is also working on that area. Between the weekly adjustments, changing workout gloves to one with more wrist support and 15 min's of ice to the elbow and wrist each night. It is doing great.

GettingYounger
10-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Sounds like classic tessis elbow, there are alot of sites with detailed solutions for this problem.
Do you have a physical therapist on your insurance program?

You must have a cut and paste for this question....lol you have answered it so many times.

strictlyred
10-07-2006, 09:06 AM
sounds like tennis elbow..or what I have.. golfers elbow..(pain in different area of elbow).
bicept training kills me..
It seems to get better then all of a sudden its back

Stenn
10-07-2006, 12:55 PM
I have found that pretty much all bicep exercises aggrevate the heck out of my right elbow. All except for chin ups, that is. That's why I'm doing weighted chins these days. With a dip belt and 20 lb, I get a nice bicep and lat workout all in one little exercise. Anyone else know of bicep exercises that don't stress out sore elbows?

EMISGOD
10-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I would suggest you heal the elbow first and open up all of them...

clive
10-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks for your input guys, I thought it might be Tennis elbow but I have my doubts now after reading about the symptoms on some sites.
Iíll try the ice treatment and see if that helps. Itís interesting as there is no pain there unless I knock or press the area.
Luckily it doesnít affect my workouts too much.

OldBB
10-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Have you overlooked the possibility that you might have arthritis? When I started working out 43 years ago, a BB told me something I have never forgotten. Some BB's get arthritis and even though their muscles can take it, their joints can't. It can happen at anytime along the road.

I have lived with arthritis in my left elbow for about 20 years now. Sometimes I went to the doc and got a shot of cortisone in the elbow. In my case it bothers me when I am doing curls so I can't go too high in weight.

Taking time off might be necessary. At least go easy on the weight for a while. Lots of warming up may be required from now on. A lot of times when you develop a problem, it has a tendency to keep coming back. You have to sort of learn how to live with it. You learn what you can do and what you can't. You learn to work within certain boundries. The worst thing you can do is try to ignore it.

BergMuscle
10-08-2006, 10:12 AM
I've had tennis elbow on both sides at different times of my life. When it flares up, I need to warm-up the elbow joint with lots of movement without weights before lifting.

However, my pain always comes with movement not impact, so, Clive, you may have something else. Like the others have said, check with your doctor.

:::JMANN:::
10-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Man you are not alone. I have a terrible pain in my elbow too. Not sure what it's from, but it started around thursday last week. I was doing chest and biceps today, and after 4 sets of benches, 4 sets of inclines, and 1 set of DB presses I had to stop and move on to biceps cause the pain was getting increasingly worse. I could of kept going and I wanted to, but a man's got to know his limitations. I would rather let it heal than make it worse. I was thinking maybe I did something when I was working my triceps, but that was friday, and since it was already aggrivated I think I just made it worse. Only time will tell.

raffytaffy
08-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I have the same problem now it seems. The pain is right below the elbow on the outer part of my left arm. It seems to radiate down towards my palm. Its not very bad, just annoying.

sluge
08-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Sounds like tennis elbow to me. I've been dealing with it now for about 2 months. I haven't been to the doc mainly because my insurance really sucks. I gotta meet a 1100.00 dollar deductible before they start paying and I haven't go the extra money to pay the freain doctor office visit, I just nurse myself after a workout with a pain reliever and an ice pack.

gbg
08-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I had the same thing. Told my chiropractor and he did a couple adjustments in my elbow and wrist and it felt 100% better. since i see him once-a-week anyway, he is also working on that area. Between the weekly adjustments, changing workout gloves to one with more wrist support and 15 min's of ice to the elbow and wrist each night. It is doing great.

Be careful! there is no reason someone needs to be adjusted weekly could do more harm than good.

Nikonguy
08-09-2008, 04:45 PM
FYI: This thread is over 2 years old....jus' sayin' :cool:

MalibuDebi1972
08-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Sounds like tendonitis or a really bad pull. Those require time off.

I have tendonitis on my right wrist and at night I use a wrist gaurd. I have never had it before, until this year..I just want it to go away :(

clive
08-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Yes this thread is two years old and I've now sorted out my problem.
I've modified my triceps training, I was dong heavy skull crushers without warming up enough first, this was aggravating my elbow. Some exercises really need easing into.
Things are much better now, you live and learn!

andbeyond
12-20-2008, 11:54 PM
I am having the exact same problem as you had. I've been having this elbow pain since 1-1/2 years. Both elbows hurt on the tip, that's the tender spot. I've tried Physical Therapy a few times and that didn't work. It's not tennis elbow as they've told me. I am using ice in dixie cups with epsom salt. That seems to help a bit but the pain comes back. I have stopped skull crushers many months ago. I do close grip benches for my triceps and warm up with a lot of pushdowns and the hand bike. That helps me quite a bit. I haven't come across any permanant solution to it yet. Any suggestions would be helpful. But one thing's for sure, I can't stop training my arms :-). I could compromise using heavy weights though.

JOHN GARGANI
12-21-2008, 04:57 AM
Yes this thread is two years old and I've now sorted out my problem.
I've modified my triceps training, I was dong heavy skull crushers without warming up enough first, this was aggravating my elbow. Some exercises really need easing into.
Things are much better now, you live and learn!

Clive, you found your solution and beat me to the punch....

having had to deal with a very bad tendonitis issue earlier in my life, I was about to tell you that the permanent answer always lie is tailoring some of the movements to avoid the inflammation from coming back....

all of the ice, medication, doctor, etc suggestions are great for immediate relief, but if one wants to continue to lift all their life, they must arrive at what they can or cannot do.....

clive
12-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Clive, you found your solution and beat me to the punch....

having had to deal with a very bad tendonitis issue earlier in my life, I was about to tell you that the permanent answer always lie is tailoring some of the movements to avoid the inflammation from coming back....

all of the ice, medication, doctor, etc suggestions are great for immediate relief, but if one wants to continue to lift all their life, they must arrive at what they can or cannot do.....

Cheers John, that elbow problem was the only persistent injury I’ve ever sustained in 9 years training.
Thankfully it’s behind me!
I warm up a lot more now, maybe this is something we have to think about more as we get older.

tbach
12-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Apparently some of us are genetically predisposed to have a problem with muscle/joint pain when we take statin medication.

Lipitor was awful for me - my whole body ached most of the day - especially the legs, hips and back. It was a major job to just get out of bed in the morning . . .

Crestor gave me very selective pain . . . both elbows - severe tendenitis type of pain. And my right foot - so painful sometimes that it was difficult to walk. That pain was similar to plantar faceitis (sorry about spelling). One night I forgot to take my Crestor . . . the next morning, the pain was not as severe. Called the doctor - they told me that my bloodtest results were completely normal (liver panel), so it absolutely could not be Crestor. Well, I took it again for a couple of days, and then stopped for a week. By the end of that week, the elbow pain was gone and foot pain was much better. It took six weeks or so for all the pain to dissipate . . . it was then that I realized how bad the pain had been.

I switched back to Pravachol/Pravastatin - had taken it for several years without any pain problems - doctor had switched me to Lipitor, and then Crestor to "bring down my cholesterol numbers a little more . . ."

There is a perfectly good reason doctors call what they have a "practice."

SlasherPay
09-03-2010, 02:55 PM
The very same problem is a common one among lifters. All of you Note: This is NOT Tennis Elbow related problem in any way. So guys relax and just take rest, avoid those exercises which put strain on the elbow joint.. I had this problem many times and got healed 100% by these methods.. I didn't even try icing or any hot medication but it can help.. Good Luck..

KrohDaddi
09-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks for your input guys, I thought it might be Tennis elbow but I have my doubts now after reading about the symptoms on some sites.
Iíll try the ice treatment and see if that helps. Itís interesting as there is no pain there unless I knock or press the area.

right at the elbow almost at the point so far down it doesn't seem likely it can be a tendon maybe ligament/cartilage right at the bone but it doesn't really stop you from benching but some tricep positions won't work? and hurts mostly if you crack it on something? had it. goes away in about 6 weeks

socket
09-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Strong thread ressurecting going on today.....

mrusa85
09-03-2010, 04:39 PM
The very same problem is a common one among lifters. All of you Note: This is NOT Tennis Elbow related problem in any way. So guys relax and just take rest, avoid those exercises which put strain on the elbow joint.. I had this problem many times and got healed 100% by these methods.. I didn't even try icing or any hot medication but it can help.. Good Luck..

Thank you for coming in here on your first post and making a diagnosis on a two-year-old thread. I feel better knowing that it's not tennis elbow despite the fact that all the other people who have had it, think it is.

JOHN GARGANI
09-03-2010, 04:59 PM

what the Flying F@#$ is going on here today??????

slasher: for your first post you resurrect a 2 year old thread?

surely, you can do better than that starting out here.....

Bando
09-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Thank you for coming in here on your first post and making a diagnosis on a two-year-old thread. I feel better knowing that it's not tennis elbow despite the fact that all the other people who have had it, think it is.

IMO this is a form of trolling, the "resurrector" gets off on how many replies go down before someone realizes it's a really old thread.

A lot of times it's annoying, sometimes it's actually educational, for me it's nostalgic to see posts from Bro's who no longer post.

KrohDaddi
09-03-2010, 09:39 PM
he's right, though. What Clive described is not Tennis Elbow.

styken
09-04-2010, 02:19 AM
FWIW thread was created in 2006, resurrected in 2008, and again in 2010.

Strong zombie thread. See you again in 2012!

adambomb494
12-01-2011, 03:41 AM

Hai guys my elbows hurt

shane-draper
09-20-2012, 11:45 PM
my elbows hurt as well. i had to quit mma because of it, all them arm bars really messed them up

BLaaR
09-21-2012, 12:03 AM

LoL, how did you know ........... any chance you can predict the winning lotto numbers please.

Joecool5150
09-27-2012, 07:41 AM
2 words for ya......Cissus Quadrangularis

pharmamarketer
09-27-2012, 08:16 AM
he's right, though. What Clive described is not Tennis Elbow.

I miss this guy

MikeK46
04-16-2013, 08:23 PM
So is it tennis elbow or not?

I've got this same pain in my right outer elbow, the bony part sticking out. Skull crushers are by far the most painful--I need a good four or five warmup sets of moderately heavy weight before the pain goes away enough to do the exercise. And that's after pushdowns and close grip bench.

I had just recently started going all the way down on machine curls (for bi's) to get that stretch at the bottom, and can't help but think this "hyper-extension" of the elbows may have contributed. I'm taking a week off from lifting altogether and hoping it recovers.

2013 bump :D

johnemar22
04-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Tennis Elbow or Golfers Elbow:

The pain starts in the ball of the elbow, and over time will travel down the tendons in the forearm, making it hard to pinch your thumb and index finger together. It also travels into the bicep, almost like it is underneath the actual bicep itself. Making any bicep curl action almost impossible. One thing that works for this is any anti inflammatory tablets, like Ibrobrufen

I know this as i have it allot!!

PROPAINE74
04-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Somebody might be able to help here, Iíve had this annoying pain in my elbow for sometime now.
I feel I can live with it until I knock my elbow against something hard and it can be quite painful.
I really must sort it out now, any suggestions

If the pain stems from the bone on the inside of your elbow and extends in any direction in tendons it could be what some call golfers elbow, and tennis elbow is on the opposite side. Gripping things like He man then moving heavy weights causes a lot of pressure on tendons and its is the usual cause. The problem with an injury like this is it takes a lot longer to heal due to minimal blood flow to tendons. Heavy and almost painful massaging as well as heating and cooling of the area will help the healing process. Also drop some weight off your griping exercises and try not to over grip things. Warm up very very well with light weight. Hope this helps. I also suggest looking up your specific symptoms and get a better idea of causes of injury and what you can do to help the healing process. Good luck!

BarryBonez
02-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Jesus my elbows hurt. Think they can heal if I only bench 2x a week and OHP 2x a week and do nothing else involving the elbows? This thread rocks

BBHHB
05-25-2015, 06:06 AM

I have had this for 6 months now so I re-adjusted my training for biceps. I now pre-exhaust my biceps with concentration curls (5X10) and this is followed by EZ (4X10) Alternate Dumbell Curls.
the point of this is to relieve the stress created by the heavy compound movements in curling.
When working Shoulders, I now warm up for 3 (sets) in Side Laterals and then do the SL (4X10)
pyramiding the weight up to my last heavy set.
When Bench Pressing, try a slight decline in the movement as it takes the pressure off the rotator cuff and delts.
These 3 changes are geared towards relieving pressure on the joints while maintaining a strict and heavy workout routine where possible. If you are lucky like me, it cleared up 70% within a few days.

PiperBill
05-25-2015, 06:14 AM
Yes really old post but the OP is still active. I wonder how it's going now? Probably tennis elbow. I had it bad in both elbows and have surgery on both about 8 years ago. Still bugs me doing bench and triceps but I use elbow straps which helps a lot. I think you just have to live with certain pains as you get older (Wife not included) ;-)

coachcalande
05-25-2015, 07:11 AM
right at the elbow almost at the point so far down it doesn't seem likely it can be a tendon maybe ligament/cartilage right at the bone but it doesn't really stop you from benching but some tricep positions won't work? and hurts mostly if you crack it on something? had it. goes away in about 6 weeks

Bursitis

I am no doctor but I played one on TV.

Nikonguy
05-25-2015, 09:22 AM
FYI: This thread is over 2 years old....jus' sayin' :cool:

This post is almost 7 years old.... jus' sayin' :cool:

:D