PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Protein Bars

Gollum
01-25-2003, 04:09 PM
When you're at work all day it can be tough to get all your meals in.That's why I eat a lot of protein bars,they are quick and convenient.I would much rather have a shake but I cant always get to a blender,get the milk,etc.I've been looking for a GOOD quality protein bar and quite frankly,I cant find one.They are all loaded with junk.They are also expensive!

I wanted to try and make my own.Something I could throw together on a Sunday and have enough to last me the week.Taste is not top priority with me,but I would like it if they werent absolutely vile.

I found this recipe:

1 cup raw oatmeal
1 1/2 cups protein powder(I used Optimum Whey)
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup nonfat milk powder
2 egg whites
1/3 cup water

Mix all the ingredients together except for the water.Gradually add the water as needed.This stuff is very gooey!I used a little more water.Spray a 9"x9" pan with cooking spray.Spread the mixture evenly in the pan and bake at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes.Let cool and cut into 8 bars.

Each bar has about:

Calories:249
Proteins:25g.
Carbs:25g.
Fats:6g.

I like that profile.

I just made a batch of these bad boys.They need to be sweetened up a little.I think I will add some honey,maybe a couple of tablespoons.I also think next time I'm gonna microwave the peanut butter for a few seconds to loosen it up.Might add a little more of that too.But even if you follow the recipe,they are edible just a little tasteless and dry.And cheap!I'm no chef,so maybe those of you who have more experience in the kitchen can offer some better ideas.They need to be jazzed up,but I think we might have a winner here.

Charger
01-25-2003, 04:23 PM
I used to make my own, they were handy but man they were dry and hard to choke down
1 cup raw oatmeal
1 1/4 cup protein powder
1 8 oz jar of natural peanut butter/creamy
1/4 cup honey

Add the peanut butter and honey in a mixing bowel and nuke for a minute or two, then slowly mix in dry ingredients. If needed add either more water or some oil, (flax, canola??? )
After mixed well put in small pan, I think 8x8 and press flat into the pan. Let stand for a while and cut into bars and wrap each seperate with Saran wrap. Refridgerate. The are not too bad but never try to eat one without alot of water handy.

Big tip!! Never try to reheat after everything is added. I tried this once and added more water, what a mess. Had to chuck the whole batch. Just make sure Honey/PB are warm before mixing with the rest.

Phatman1179
01-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars

2 scoops of Protein powder (your choice)

Splash of vanilla

1 package of NutraSweet

4 Tablespoons of Natural Peanut Butter

4 Tablespoons of whipping Cream

1 1 oz square of unsweetened baking chocolate

2 tablespoons butter

Combine the first four ingredients in a small bowl and fold in the cream. You should come out with something that resembles peanut butter cookie dough. Press the dough into a 3 inch X 6 inch Tupperware container. Cut into 6 squares and enjoy the hell out of them!

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 oz of unsweetened chocolate over a low heat. After it is melted remove from heat and blend in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 4 tablespoons of cream, and 7 packets of NutraSweet. Pour chocolate over the top of the peanut mixture and chill for a couple of hours.

Phatman1179
01-25-2003, 06:08 PM
My bad don't cut them into to squares until after you pour the choclate and let them chill.....

MooreGuy
01-26-2003, 09:02 AM
Hey Gollum you might try adding some Splenda along with that honey.

Gollum
01-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Ok,ready for the dumb question of the year?

What is Splenda?I have heard people mention it,but I swear I dont know what it is. :(

I'm assuming it's some type of natural sweetener?Can you get it at the supermarket or is it a health food store item?Believe me,if it makes these things easier to choke down I'll try it!

MooreGuy
01-26-2003, 09:47 AM
here's a link to the site http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml;jsessionid=F32LK1NWU0KTSCQPCCGSUYYKB2IH WNSC?id=splenda/products/prodinfo.inc

MooreGuy
01-26-2003, 09:48 AM
i should also add that you can pick it up in any grocery store