PDA

View Full Version : Help me design my own post workout shake

mpawlicki
10-03-2006, 06:30 PM
I've been spending way too much money on post workout creatine/carbs drink from GNC. Everyone here says it's cheaper to make one yourself.

After working out with weight, I want to have a quick shake with whey, creatine, and simple carbs. I already have whey and creatine mono. What do I do for simple carbs? Is it okay to have all these in one mix, or should I split? Should I use dextrose, maltodextrin, or fruit?

Also, how many grams? I was thinking 20gr protein when cutting, 40 when bulking. 5-20 gr creatine. But how much simple carbs do I need?

Oh, and I get a real meal with starches and meat within 1 hr of workout.

Nixxon
10-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Fruit is ok post workout (medium sized banana is a favorite among many).

Dextrose is another favorite among many (I know alot of people who used gatorade powder, the premade gatorade dosn't have dextrose it uses HFCS)

Im 6'3 190 lbs and post-workout I have 25-35g of protein and 50-60g of carbs

I think the general consensus is 1:2 Protein to Carbs.

djloco
10-03-2006, 07:11 PM
Don't buy from GNC. Start by buying online (bodybodying.com store for one).

Carbo Gain by NOW
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/carbo.html

Ultra Fuel Powder
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/tl/ultra.html

My personal favorite is Ultra Fuel. I get these babys $12 a pop plus FREE Shipping. I only workout 3 times and week and so it last me a month and some change.

Mslaughter
10-03-2006, 07:11 PM
For bulking 2:1 carbs/whey is good. I get 48g protein from whey and two cups of grape juice for my carbs which is like 84g.

ozigal
10-03-2006, 07:24 PM
i have a half and half mix of dex. and maltodex. just so i can prolong my insulin spike (the maltodex. action) to maximise absorption and speed of my amino acids from the whey :) and to replenish my burnt out glycogen stores in my muscles. It works well!

boyscouT
10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
i have a half and half mix of dex. and maltodex. just so i can prolong my insulin spike (the maltodex. action) to maximise absorption and speed of my amino acids from the whey :) and to replenish my burnt out glycogen stores in my muscles. It works well!
I use the same.

I am 185lbs and currently do:

40g Dex + 40g Malto + 46g Whey

I would have creatine monohydrate in my shake, but my current supplement protocol does not call for it.

mpawlicki
10-04-2006, 06:12 AM
If I buy this dextrose:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/dex.html I would need 10 servings per shake, so 2 lbs would last just about 3 weeks. Wow, that's cheap.

I use the same.

I would have creatine monohydrate in my shake, but my current supplement protocol does not call for it.
Man, that's like 600 calories!

mpawlicki
10-04-2006, 06:15 AM
I use the same.

So, do you mix whey and all that sugar in one drink? Or do you want the sugars in first, wait a few minutes, and then drink the whey?

Helis
10-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Have you read Alan Aragon's pinned thread about this? You should check it out if you have not.

Generally you should shoot for .5 grams of high-GI carbs per pound of body weight, and .25 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight for your post workout shake.

I use 2 cups of milk, 1 scoop of whey, .75 cup of oats, 1 banana, and a just a few frozen raspberries (for taste). That comes out almost exactly to the prescribed ratios. Tastes a hell of a lot better than 80 grams of sugar and whey, as well.