PDA

View Full Version : Twinkies

skinny buckeye
10-02-2006, 06:28 PM
so, a fellow in my apt building has a daughter who is a phd in environmental science...

her research group was involved ina project studying how materials break down in landfills.

Long story short, they were digging down into a landfill to an area that was about 40 yrs old in terms of what was dumped there to see how the refuse at the time was biodegrading.

well they kept seeing all these white splotches frequently and could not figure out what they were... literally just white splotches.

after 2 years of study one of the scientists discovered to their amazement, that the white splotches were the filling component of Twinkies from 30-40 years ago. hadnt broken down at all... the rest of the twinkie, including the cellophane wrappers (a biodegradable wood biproduct) had all disappeared... but the filling was still very much intact!!

so next time you think about dirty bulking with some garbage food, ponder that!

amazing what companies are allowed to call "food"

Struct09
10-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Haha, I loved Twinkies when I was younger. Would eat those things 3-4 at a time! Maybe I'm still digesting that cream filling!

victormu
10-02-2006, 06:33 PM
lol, eventually if you eat enought of them your stomach will be full for a long long time.

bravo03_old
10-02-2006, 06:35 PM
interesting note on twinkies, glad i dont eat cheat meals ever.

Fallen_
10-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Glad they don't sell them here in AUS :D

Mr. Green
10-02-2006, 06:49 PM
I read and saw pictures of regular hot dogs that did the same thing. In fact, they cooked them and looked good enough to eat, although I don't think anyone tried it. If you think about it, all that pressure on the food, no air, no sunlight, makes it a perfect seal.

SPAM
10-02-2006, 06:51 PM
I read and saw pictures of regular hot dogs that did the same thing. In fact, they cooked them and looked good enough to eat, although I don't think anyone tried it. If you think about it, all that pressure on the food, no air, no sunlight, makes it a perfect seal.
But we've still got the dissappearance of the twinkie cake and wrapper LOL.

green10
10-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow, that's crazy. It kind of makes sense, though. The filling of twinkies is pretty much partially hydrogenated oil and sugar. The hyrdogenation is similar to the process that's used for turning petroleum (oil) into plastic. Partially hydrogenated oils are molecularly more like plastic than they are like natural oil. Plastic stays around on earth for a while.