PDA

View Full Version : Half full - Half empty

TwoWalks
01-24-2003, 02:29 PM
This thread if humor nothing more and nothing less:)

Is the glass half full or half empty

I realized that as I lose weight working to get down to lean I have reached the same place I was while slacking to get from lean to fat. I am the same in all ways except attitude and goals.

Talking too my brother on the phone the other day he askes me "how much do you weight?" with a chuckle in my tone and a enthusiasm in my voice I say's 209#'s "man your going to die, you better get rid of that fat". Yep. "I believe in good nutrition and that red meat is going to kill ya" of course he slurred this out between glasses of scotch. Oh well, he might be an idiot, but he is my idiot - thanks Dad:)

Then yesterday I run into a guy that I have not seen for about 25 years. So during the conversation he says "Wow, I can't believe it, your getting fat." I think "NO" I'm getting lean, but whats the point of saying it, I know where it will go from there. "Hey you doing any sort of exercising to help control the weight?" Yeh:) I'm lifting weights. "Man you better get more weight"

Of course all this adds up to a lot of different things that we say to folks and then how they choose to view it. Is your glass half full or is it half empty. Tell some one your a bodybuilder - power lifter or weight lifter and right away you can see their definition in the eyes, "you got to be kidding". Well I want some way to tell people what I do.

I want to be able to say something that defines not only what I do but why I am doing it and I think today I stumbled on it. Yep I think it just might be the answer I have been looking for:

I am a physical improvement engineer
specializing in weights and nutrition

little lats
01-24-2003, 02:32 PM
Like saying to a women when is the baby due months after she delivered. My wife just wanted to kill people..

back2it
01-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Two walks . It goes like this When we are out of shape and just starting even though we feel better and stronger we really don't look much different . We look better in the mirror but only because we looked so bad before . Our improvements are known only to us . As we continue with our journey to fitness we reach a stage when people start to ask "are you working out ?" . This is a complement but as we progress and really start to look good and the same question is asked it is like "can't you tell ?" and kind of an insult . Eventually as some have mentioned here and as real size and shape gains are made they stop asking . It it good when we get to that level .

gbat
01-24-2003, 07:53 PM
My problem is the progression of my weight loss. Arms lose fat first. Then shoulders, then chest. Upper belly, then last to go is lower flubberville. In the progression I look worse because the fat top side made my fat bottom part look smaller. So I lose my V shape and get that Bluto look. Of course, I know that I am losing from my belly at the same time but there is so much more there to lose.

I was showing a co-worker my pics I posted on here, pre-warning her how bad I look. I was happy though, because I noticed that I look a bit better now, even though I only posted them 12 days ago.

The idea is to keep going. This fat banishment is just the first chapter or two in the epoch adventure of one man's striving to explore his physical potential. The one person I am really trying to impress is me. Tired of living with a hard breathing, sweaty fat guy. I like me too much to leave me in this bloat suit. I deserve better.

edster951
01-25-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by gbat
Tired of living with a hard breathing, sweaty fat guy. I like me too much to leave me in this bloat suit. I deserve better.
Bravo, my good fello. nicely put. We all deserve better, but we got ourselves into this, we can get ourselves out of it.

Keep it up.

BTW twowalks, my glass has from half full to half empty at the moment. Having a bad week. :(

gbat
01-25-2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by edster951
Bravo, my good fello. nicely put. We all deserve better, but we got ourselves into this, we can get ourselves out of it.

Keep it up.

BTW twowalks, my glass has from half full to half empty at the moment. Having a bad week. :(

Thanks for your words to me, Edster. You certainly are an example for me. Showed my co-workers your pics, too. They were amazed at the transformation. One woman actually asked me how much weights cost! If you know teachers, that's quite a step!

The great thing about bodybuilding is the resource challenging, taxing nature of it. That is also the bad thing about it. It stresses us in many ways, physically, mentally, emotionally, our immune systems, and in my case, the billfold. :) It is voluntary stress, but stress nontheless. Stress requires breaks. Small ones and big ones. Breaks are not a bow to failure, just a re-gripping for greater progress. Tactical retreats. I try to look at my progress on a lifelong timeline. I have immediate goals but the life goals are my prime directive. My fitness and satisfaction with my body are inevitable. Resistance is futile! That 73 year old ripped lady shown in another thread is what I'm talking about. http://www.agelesstraining.com/indexx.htm
I got plenty of time.

I deal with stress with diversion also, granddaughters supply that in abundance right now. 2 cuties with treasures of wit and word to present King Grampa everyday. Sometimes ya just gotta cash in, use the new strength for real life stuff instead of just pushing iron. Grampa's not just a sleepy couch potato now, he can take em places and show em things. And give em the wrestling they love.

Don't mean to sound preachy, just tryin to pump ya up, bro. I need it a lot. :D

TwoWalks
01-25-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by edster951

Ed, I have been following this on your challenge thread. I have not said anything because you are struggling right now with my worst fear. Each time I look at doing something different I think what is the weight loss stops and I freak out. You know there is an old saying "if its not broke, don't fix it".

I hope you can find the answer so it all turns around for you. One thing is a hard fight, two things have us out numbered. When it causes mental anguish and the family is unhappy also - Man we are out numbered. Keep at it, you have done awsome things since you started and you will make this work or find something that works for you.

edster951
01-26-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by TwoWalks
Ed, I have been following this on your challenge thread. I have not said anything because you are struggling right now with my worst fear. Each time I look at doing something different I think what is the weight loss stops and I freak out. You know there is an old saying "if its not broke, don't fix it".

I hope you can find the answer so it all turns around for you. One thing is a hard fight, two things have us out numbered. When it causes mental anguish and the family is unhappy also - Man we are out numbered. Keep at it, you have done awsome things since you started and you will make this work or find something that works for you.
The inital weight loss was done all wrong, very few meals and cardio twice a day for 90 mins. No wonder I shed the weight.

Since doing weights etc the loss in and weight and drop in bf% has all but stopped.

I know I have made some gains in the past few months, but the bodyfat% not moving is pissing me off........

Thats why I'm taking 10-14 days off to re-eveluate and start with a clean slate.