PDA

View Full Version : Overly enthused - protein question

Eye2_Man
01-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Real happy so far. Yesterday started the 3rd week of weight training. 13.5 pounds lost and improved bench press by a little over 10%. And two new exercises were added for a total of 13 exercises - 3 sets each - 10 reps per set.

Might have went overboard on ordering supplements though. Just too excited about getting stronger and bigger (in the right places). Now the anxiety of mixing everything has set in (Universal Rage, Universal Lava, Uni-Liver, Joint Boost, HDT Whey Protein, Pro-Labs Creatin). The Creatin is easy to calculate.

Anyway, some of the products ordered contain protein. A few days ago I saw a thread somewhere on this site stating how much protein (in grams per day) is appropriate. But can't find it again. Did a search using "protein AND grams AND muscle AND weight". But the search failed over and over due to a memory problem.

Do you guys know how much protein is safe off the top of your head?

Phatman1179
01-24-2003, 11:19 AM
Hi,

Good rule of thumb is 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per LBM

Hope this helps!

MagicMel
01-24-2003, 11:20 AM
1 - 1.5gms per lb of LBM

MagicMel
01-24-2003, 11:21 AM
PhatMan, you beat me by 1 minute. I guess we can average it out to 1.5

Phatman1179
01-24-2003, 11:23 AM
Too Funny, at least he knows he got the Right Answer!!!

Eye2_Man
01-24-2003, 11:28 AM
OK! Thanks again.

Guess I'll figure about 30% body fat and that bone and scar tissue is consider lean.

MagicMel
01-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Hold on there Eye2. Where did you get 30% from? Caliper measurements, body fat scale? 30% is a very high BF%. Please make sure of this before you start calculating C/P/F based on LBM.

Eye2_Man
01-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Hi MagicMel. I don't have calipers or body fat scale. But I weigh about 200 lbs at only 5'10". No excercising since the Army in the 80's. 30% body fat is probably a good estimate. If it's too high, that'll be OK since it'll mean a reduction in the supplements. Overdose is my main concern.

My wife took some "before" pictures on Jan. 9th with the sloppy 40" gut hanging over the pants. On Mar. 9th, hopefully I'll be able to post that and a "3 months after" picture.

Here's me clothed drinking a beer:
http://home.attbi.com/~pzvie/sb.jpg

MagicMel
01-24-2003, 12:30 PM
My training buddy is 5'8" and 205lbs. Dropped down from 230lbs a few months ago. His BF% is about 25%. You seem to be a similar build but it's hard to tell without actual measurements.
But my point is that 5% difference in your estimated vs. actual body fat will have an effect if you start consuming more protein than your body actually needs. This is where science starts to come into play, ugh!
Speaking of science, that is some big gun in your pic. I wish the skies here in the L.A. city area allowed me to take advantage of a scope like that. Is that a Meade?

Eye2_Man
01-24-2003, 12:40 PM
You're definitely correct about the the percentages. Even small percents of a big numer (like 200) can have an effect. Perhaps the best thing might be to start of slow (1/2 to even 1/4) of the recommended dosage. I'm really afraid of taking too much or mixing things (even Joint Boost with something). That's going to be all new. Any tips or do's-and-don't's are greatly appreciated.

Yep, it's a Meade LX90. It's kind of fun to take out. Lot of pollution in Dallas too. Here's a picture of the eclipse taken with it last June. http://home.attbi.com/~pzvie/eb2.jpg

It's a film picture using 100 speed film and type 2+ solar filter. 1/250th of a second exposure.

This day is over (workwise). Have a good evening. Thanks again!

MagicMel
01-24-2003, 01:02 PM
As far as mixing things together goes, looking at all the stuff you bought, I don't see any potential clashes. As long as you are only using Universal Lava post, and Universal Rage pre. I assume you bought the Prolab Creatine to load and/or use when not using Lava, i.e don't add it to Lava since that already has 5.5gms creatine per serving.

I take something similar to Joint Boost, it doesn't conflict with anything.

Drink lots & lots of water!

BTW, I make my own post workout shake with 1-1/2 scoops Optimum Nutrition 100% whey, 2 scoops dextrose (corn sugar), 1 tsp glutamine, and 1 tsp creatine. That gives me about 30-35gms protein, 40g hi GI carbs, 10g glutamine, 5gm creatine. The body sucks it all up, and you don't count the calories from carbs in the post shake either. For those of you that are asking, "only 35g protein?", I weigh 152 lbs.

Any whey, hope this helps.

Eye2_Man
01-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Thanks again MagicMel. Copied your post workout mix and will try it out when the Lava is gone. One thing about Lava is that is sure is expensive. My brother had recommended it and he also has a pretty good sense as to what is good. Oh... he's also in Los Angeles.

One more thing! Those products ordered from the CyberStore on this site came today. Only 2 days. Pretty good customer service!

edster951
01-24-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by MagicMel
BTW, I make my own post workout shake with 1-1/2 scoops Optimum Nutrition 100% whey, 2 scoops dextrose (corn sugar), 1 tsp glutamine, and 1 tsp creatine. That gives me about 30-35gms protein, 40g hi GI carbs, 10g glutamine, 5gm creatine. The body sucks it all up, and you don't count the calories from carbs in the post shake either.
Snap!!

3 scoops protein (32gms)
2 tblspoons CarboLoad
7.5g of creatine.
250 mls milk

I take it 3/4 into my workout. Gives energy for the last 15 mins and it gets soaked up like a sponge.

I take my glutamine pre - workout (15g) with 2 scoops protein.

So in the am with the pre and post shakes I get

50g protein
7.5g creatine
15g glutamine
carboload, dunno about carbs.

And before IPR scolds me, this was prior to keto, while I was bulking.

Phatman1179
01-25-2003, 07:26 AM
I have to agree with Magic Mel, You don't look 30% to me. You can get yourself a cheap pair of calipers check out this page:

http://www.rustyiron.net/bodyfat.htm

For help on where to buy and how to measure!!!