PDA

View Full Version : Epsom Salts

Axe
01-24-2003, 07:24 AM
I have no idea if this information will be useful to you or not, but it seems to create smiles around our town...

My wife and I use a LOT of epsom salts. It does wonders for sore muscles and a bunch of other uses too...

I found out a couple of years ago that farmers use it on their fields...so with that in mind, I came to the logical conclusion that I should be able to buy it cheaper and in larger quantities than at the drug or bulk store.

A little trip down to our local farmer supply store/co-op and discovered that I can buy Epsom Salts in a 50 pound bag for $14. That's a tenth of the price I was paying for it retail. So now we just keep a 50 lb. bag of it in our linen closet and toss 2 cups in a warm bath and you're good to go!

Just a tip I thought might be helpful....

MiloMan
01-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Some of the finest skin lotion is actually Udder Balm! Bought at the farm supply store in large containers, very cheap, about 13 bucks for a 4-pound tub.

Need rubber mats for your home gym? Horse stall mats! 4x6 foot 3/4-inch thick mats for about 40-45 bucks. Tough enough for shod a half-ton horse to tromp around on is plenty tough enough for bar and DB drops (the 4x6 mat is about 100lbs, hefty stuff).

Romac
07-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Axe
A little trip down to our local farmer supply store/co-op and discovered that I can buy Epsom Salts in a 50 pound bag for $14.

awesome tip thanks!

Now why does it work?

I was introduced to the joys of epsom salt baths for my legs when i was doing long-distance cycling, and it works well...but how?

Power-Quest
07-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Epsom Salt Information

Also known as: Hydrated Magnesium Sulfate, MgSO4.

Epsom Salts: Originally prepared by boiling down mineral waters at Epsom, England these salts were known at least as far back as Shakespeare's day, and afterwards prepared from sea water. In more recent times, these salts are obtained from certain minerals such as siliceous hydrate of magnesia. This product has traditionally been used as a therapeutic bath, taken orally as a laxative, to treat heartburn or constipation, and injected to prevent seizures. Researchers in nutrition, through controlled experimentation, have found that Magnesium Sulfate accelerates the body's healing time by 1/3. The salts are used to charge up the body and assist the physical aspect to repair or heal itself and/or to create a higher physical stress envelope.

Epsom Salts are routinely used for:

Rehabilitation (correction):
Soothing relief from arthritic pain, reduces stiffness, soreness, and tightness of joints, improves discomfort from muscle aches, pains, and tenderness, Soothing painful bruises, sprains, and strain, alleviates pain from over exertion during sport activities, improve the body's sleeping and resting productivity, increases and improves body energy levels, improving the rate of natural body healing, soothes away stress, deep cleans skin and pores, draws out splinters, use a warm salt-soaked compress to reduce swelling from scrapes, use a cold compress to take the sting out of insect bites, to increase the body's healing productivity rate by 1/3, an energy charging-up mechanism of low body energy levels, immediately following high levels of body energy output both mentally and physically.

Prehabilitation (prevention)
These salt baths can be taken anytime you want day or night, and may be taken several times each day if desired. Increases the healing process by 1/3 the normal rate, an additional energy charge-up process for the body when going into high levels of mental and physical activity. Massage a handful of salts over wet skin to cleanse, exfoliate, and soften the rough spots. You can apply this product in two ways, externally:
Towel Soaking; by placing 1 cup of salts in one gallon of water, mix well, and soak a towel or bandage. Next, apply the towel to the involved region or area for 30 minutes, 3 times daily.
Bath Tub Soaking; by placing 1 cup per every 60 lbs. of body weight (it is not necessary to exceed 4 cups) in a hot bath tub of water (104 degrees F or less). The water temperature should be as comfortable, but as hot as you can take, for 15 to 20 minutes. You can use 2 to 4 times this amount if your body conditions warrant it. You do not want to burn yourself. You want to rub your skin all over with a wash cloth to open up the pores for absorption of the salts. If some areas are sore rub them a little longer. If you are treating an injury you should rub both the area of the involved site on one extremity and the same area on the other extremity (bilateral stimulation reflex). In rubbing both extremities you yield a little extra stimulation to the injured site. Don't rinse off before getting out of the bath tub. Just dry off and retire for the evening.
Special Notation:
You may want to have some water for drinking near the tub. Hot baths can make one light headed and thirsty. Soap does not work in a salt bath. If soap is needed bathe with it prior to the salt bath.

Bath Procedure:
The salt baths are taken routinely, just before going to bed, the night before a major competitive event, race or other activity and just after. It also helps with combating jet lag. The bath will allow a more productive and restful sleep as well as produce an energy charging up effect on your body for the next day’s performance. The addition of apple cider vinegar aids this energy charging effect. Epsom salts, apple cider vinegar, and water are very therapeutic and help to prevent problems as well as help to solve them. Do not rinse-off following the bath, just dry off and go directly to bed. The baths may be taken daily, one, twice, or even more to provide the necessary energy levels needed to both recover from injury or illness and charge up extra energy going into high stress levels of mental and/or physical activity. It is recommended a routine of the salt baths weekly as a form of prevention.

Cautions: Do not take an epsom salt bath if you have high blood pressure or a heart or kidney condition. And remember, the information above is intended for general reference purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice or a medical exam. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment.

Power-Quest
07-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Epsom Salts may be used as an internal laxative. It increases the water in your intestines thus promoting pressure leading to a bowel movement. Read instructions on box concerning measurements and usage for children… remember, laxatives in any form should only be used as temporary constipation relief.

Epsom salts is excellent in a warm bath for sprains and bruises, arthritis, and stiff joints…as well as muscle aches.

Epsom Salts bath will not only relax your body but also promotes healthy blood circulation.

Epsom Salts will also help with pain of insect bites as well as draw out splinters in skin.

Epsom Salts will deep clean your pores as well as soften skin.

Epsom Salts should be used only in moderation. Read package instructions carefully.

Power-Quest
07-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Stephanie Seymour has it all: a hot modeling career, gorgeous looks, a handsome husband, three healthy kids... and two half-gallon containers of Epsom Salt.

"Always keep at least two half-gallon containers of Epsom Salts in the house. They're only a couple of dollars each, and they're great to pour in the tub when our muscles ache. Or use the stuff the way the great spas do -- for exfoliation. Just take big handfuls and scrub your body," said Seymour in a recent issue of Cosmopolitan magazine.

Epsom Salt -- Magnesium Sulfate -- is a pure mineral that benefits your skin and body in a number of ways. You can soak in it to often skin and use it as a scrub to exfoliate rough patches. You can also soak in it to reduce the swelling and inflammation of body aches and pains.

"Soaking in warm water and two cups of Epsom Salt is all you need after a tough workout or a hard day," said Lori Katz, President of the non-profit Epsom Salt Industry Council based in Nutley and East Rutherford, N. J.

Super- model Stephanie Seymour can use anything in the world for exfoliation and aches, yet she sticks with the basics and uses Epsom Salt."

The Council offers these tips to keep looking great.

Wash your face before going to bed
According to recent studies in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, deposits of nicotine and carbon monoxide (from secondhand smoke and pollution) can wreck havoc on the skin..

To cleanse your face
Mix a half-teaspoon of Epsom Salt with your regular cleansing cream. Just massage into skin and rinse with cold water.

Troubleshoot with the right homemade mask
Apply this mask in the shower, to your damp face, to lock in the moisture. For normal to oily skin, mix 1 tablespoon of cognac, 1 egg, 1/4 cup of nonfat dry milk, the juice of 1 lemon, and a half-teaspoon of Epsom Salt. For normal to dry skin mix 1/4 cup of grated carrot, 1 1/2 teaspoons of mayonnaise and a half-teaspoon of Epsom Salt.

Smoother Softer Skin
To cleanse and exfoliate, massage handfuls of Epsom Salt over your wet skin, starting with the feet and continuing up toward the face. Then, pour two cups into a bath of warm water. Lean back and relax. As you soak, the natural action of Epsom Salt helps soften the rough, dry patches of your skin.

Add Body to Your Hair
Combine 3 tablespoons of deep conditioner with 3 tablespoons of Epsom Salt. Microwave the mixture for 20 seconds. Work the warm mixture through your hair from scalp to ends and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Promotes body and life in your hair and restores curl to permed hair.

Remove Hairspray and Gel Buildup
Combine a gallon of distilled water, a cup of lemon juice (fresh or bottled), and 1 cup of Epsom Salt. Cap the mixture and let it sit for 24 hours. The next day, pour the mixture into your dry hair and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then shampoo as normal.

Power-Quest
07-10-2004, 04:10 PM
13 Wonderful Ways to Use Epsom Salts
by Annie Berthold-Bond, Care2.com Producer, Green Living Channels

I always knew that soaking in a tub full of hot water with a few cups of Epsom Salts was good for relaxing muscles and drawing toxins from the body, but I could never find out why. And it wasn't until I spent some time at the Epsom Salt Industry Council website that I learned that Epsom Salts -- made of the mineral magnesium sulfate--are also a sedative for the nervous system.

Simple Solution:

When magnesium sulfate is absorbed through the skin, such as in a bath, it draws toxins from the body, sedates the nervous system, reduces swelling, relaxes muscles, is a natural emollient, exfoliator, and much more.

EPSOM SALT TIPS Adapted from the Epsom Salt Industry Council.

Note: Check with a doctor before using if you have any health concerns.

* Relaxing and Sedative Bath: Soak in warm water and 2 cups of Epsom Salt.

* Face Cleaner: To clean your face at night, mix a half-teaspoon of Epsom Salt with your regular cleansing cream. Just massage into skin and rinse with cold water.

* Homemade Skin Mask: Apply the mask to damp skin. For normal to oily skin, mix 1 tablespoon of cognac, 1 egg, 1/4 cup of nonfat dry milk, the juice of 1 lemon, and a half-teaspoon of Epsom Salt. For normal to dry skin mix 1/4 cup of grated carrot, 1 1/2 teaspoons of mayonnaise and a half-teaspoon of Epsom Salt.

* Foot Soak: Soothe aches, remove odors, and soften rough skin with a foot soak. Add 1/2 cup of Epsom Salt to a large pan of warm water. Soak feet for as long as it feels right. Rinse and dry.

* Skin Exfoliator: Massage handfuls of Epsom Salt over your wet skin, starting with your feet and continuing up towards the face. Have a bath to rinse.

* Remove Excess Oil from Hair: Epsom Salt soaks up excess oil from hair. Add 9 tablespoons of Epsom Salt to 1/2 cup of oily hair shampoo. Apply one tablespoon of the liquid to your hair when it is dry; rinse with cold water. Pour lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar through the hair, leave on for 5-10 minutes, and then rinse.

* Hairspray: Combine 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of lemon juice, and 1 cup Epsom Salt. Combine, cover, and let set for 24 hours. The next day, pour the mixture into your dry hair and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then shampoo as normal.

* Hair Volumizer: Combine equal parts of deep conditioner and Epsom Salt. Warm in a pan. Work the warm mixture through your hair and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse.

* Soak Sprains and Bruises: Epsom Salt will reduce the swelling of sprains and bruises. Add 2 cups Epsom Salt to a warm bath, and soak.

* Splinter Remover: Soak in Epsom Salt, it will draw out the splinter.

Romac
07-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Romac
Now why/how does it work?

Power-Quest
07-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Romac

This product has traditionally been used as a therapeutic bath, taken orally as a laxative, to treat heartburn or constipation, and injected to prevent seizures. Researchers in nutrition, through controlled experimentation, have found that Magnesium Sulfate accelerates the body's healing time by 1/3. The salts are used to charge up the body and assist the physical aspect to repair or heal itself and/or to create a higher physical stress envelope.

Works against heartburn by nuetralizing the acid maybe.
It accelerates the healing process by increasing blood flow which would help in aches pains and so on.

What more do you want to know? Its a chemical reaction , it does what it states.

http://www.howstuffworks.com :)

Romac
07-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Power-Quest
What more do you want to know? Its a chemical reaction , it does what it states.

i was looking for an explanation as to how magnesium sulphate makes my legs feel completely awesome after i soak them in it.

So it's based on increased blood flow then?

If so, this is the sort of explanation i was thinking of:

If magnesium sulfate works as a laxative by drawing water into our intestines to flush out turds, the higher sulfate levels in the water must draw water from our skin, into the tub, when we soak in it. And I suspect that the awesome feeling i have in my legs for hours after has something to do with my body re-hydrating my subcutaneous water. So that tingly feeling is actually the water and blood carrying nutrients to replenish my subcutaneous juices and the whole process is based on dehydration/rehydration.

I just wanted someone else to do all that thinking for me. ;)

If any science dudes are reading this, please verify or correct my layman's explanation. I only have a grade 9 education and would rather have a university-schooled chemist tell me what to think. ;)

Thanks.

Power-Quest
07-10-2004, 05:17 PM
When magnesium sulfate is absorbed through the skin, such as in a bath, it draws toxins from the body, sedates the nervous system, reduces swelling, relaxes muscles, is a natural emollient, exfoliator, and much more.

Your legs are feeling better for the many things the epsom salt is doing.

Romac
07-11-2004, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Power-Quest

but is magnesium sulfate absorbed through the skin?

although i'm not sure if magnesium sulfate is a true salt, it sure acts like one. As far as i remember, we don't absorb salt through our skin. When we swim in the ocean our internal sodium levels do not rise and our blood pressure does not rise. This is becasue we are essentially bags of water in a slightly permeable membrane and the flow of juices (water) only occurs from low salinity to high salinity.

If you have a bag of water that has low salinity (us :) ) with a slightly permeable membrane and place that bag in a tub of water with high salinity (epsom salts), there should be a flow of water from the bag into the tub with no flow of water or salinity from the tub into the bag. If that is so, magnesium sulfate would not 'be absorbed through the skin'.

There is another, even more complicated variable that i have not even mentioned yet and that is the decreased electrical resistance of water and the even lower electrical resistance of salty water. We all know that our muscles are controlled by electrical impulses, and electrical impulses have electrical fields. In addition to dehydrating our subcutaneous water, I wonder if the salty soak increases electrical activity, or the ease at which the electrical impulses travel.

See!

This is why we need a biology dude in here...so i don't have to try to remember all my grade 9 biology classes! :)

Power-Quest
07-11-2004, 06:22 AM
Very thoughtful questions you bring up there , good stuff.

sayrock
09-29-2013, 07:07 PM
You wrote: "Cautions: Do not take an epsom salt bath if you have high blood pressure " and yet many many other website say just the opposite. I just found that my blood pressure is higher than normal, and wondered if using Epsom Salt bath had anything to do with it. All the other sites say that an Epsom Salt bath actually lowers blood pressure, including WebMd. Your comment is the only one I've found that says it could be a problem. I'm confused.