PDA

View Full Version : when to take post workout shake

ronhere29
09-28-2006, 06:12 AM
hello all ive been reading these forums for a long time and they are great. I usually have a pre workout shake of protien and carbs before i workout and i have a shake with carbs and protein and creatine right after i workout also. this for me gives me great gains. People say you should do cardio right after working out because it taps into fat storage quicker and because of time and work i am going to have to to this. My question is when should i take my post workout shake?????before or after the cardio?? they say to take your shake 30-45 min after working out. should i do 30min cardio and then take the shake? my current agenda is to keep my size but lean out a tad over the winter.

nitrored
09-28-2006, 06:21 AM
Id say before or during cardio...

xXSeanXx
09-28-2006, 06:26 AM
I read men's fitness. Don't know how accurate their info is but they say take a shake either before or after as it increases muscle activity by 400% I usually take mine before.

JGreen
09-28-2006, 06:35 AM
My input is that I heard you must get your protein in withing 30 min. post workout. I dont see any harm in having protein before you workout unless the digestion slows your performance down.

xXSeanXx
09-28-2006, 07:03 AM
The other reason why I don't take one before and after is because I'd be running through milk and my wallet.

grapemaster
09-28-2006, 07:21 AM
[QUOTE=ronhere29]should i do 30min cardio and then take the shake? QUOTE]
yes, if not, think about it, you just gave your body more fuel so it won't be burning the fat... take it then its fine. your not going to catabolize much or any muscle unless you do high intensity after a workout.

Glorious Pies
09-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Why not right after workout AND right after running.

Make one shake and have 2 bottles. When you finish lifting pour a little shake into the empty bottle, water it down(5 or 6 to 1 ratio), then down it. After running, down the orignal shake. You could also dissolve some amino acids in a bottle with some water, that would work too.

SO:

when should i take my post workout shake?????before or after the cardio??
Both before and after the cardio

boyscouT
09-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Lift
Cardio
Immediately have your PWO shake.

mpawlicki
09-28-2006, 01:18 PM
It's a hard one.

My workout buddy takes half his shake after weights and the rest after cardio.

As for me, I figured that a workout should be 1 hr long and then you need your shake within 20 minutes. So I workout 45-50 minutes, then I do 15-20 minutes cardio, and since cardio is a muscle workout as well, I just drink the whole shake at the end.

KryptoKnight
09-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Lift
Cardio
Immediately have your PWO shake.

I agree with that. My workout only takes about 45 minutes (4 day split) so on the days that I run afterwards, the time of my workout + my run is about 70 mins. Low intensity is key, don't go running up hills or sprinting, 20 minutes for me does a good job of keeping me from adding too much weight from all the food I eat (I'm not cutting, I just enjoy running)