PDA

View Full Version : carbohydrate-restricted diet

bb5-0
01-23-2003, 12:57 PM
I have read an article about a study in which average people suddenly reduced their carbs intake from 48% to 8% and this during a period of 8 weeks. The total calories intake however remained quite similar.
The results were surprising: loss of bodyfat: about 3kg (6.6lbs), but also gain in lean bodymass ; more than 1kg (2.2lbs)
mmmmhhh! very interesting!
reminds me of the keto diet!

little lats
01-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Did they raise there fat?? Or just kept fat and protien at the same level?

Original Poster
01-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Post a link so us keto freaks can take a looksie. LOL

little lats
01-23-2003, 02:34 PM
So what does your body burn if the protein and fat ratios are the same? fat or muscle (protein). In this case I would assume that the original protein % was higher than the fat, so hmm, burning protein. yikes..

bb5-0
01-24-2003, 06:54 AM
Sorry, guys ! the article wasn't very long and didn't give other details. But I assume that if the caloric intake remained the same, they must have replaced the carbs by more fats , and as we know good fats help burn more bodyfat...
I posted this because it reminded me of the keto diet and proved once again if necessary that this type of diet was efficient for losing fat and cutting, but also for bulking!

little lats
01-24-2003, 07:10 AM
yep! Anything to keep conversation going!! :D

WarriorPoet
01-24-2003, 09:14 AM
There is one thing I know for sure is that the amount of calories isn't always the determining factor in how much fat you lose. I cringe when I hear about people dropping 1200 calories off a day when cutting. It means to me that your bulk diet was probably too high in cals and your reducing your calorie level too much. Now I am only talking about naturals here cuz I hear that people using drugs diet differently.

There is only about 400 calories difference between my cutting and bulking diet and I can put on and lose weight quite readily. It might be different for others I don't know.

The bottom line is what we eat when we eat it is very important to how much we lose or gain and what we lose or gain.

Phatman1179
01-24-2003, 11:26 AM
Big Amen to that WarriorPoet, Had a Partner used to tell me allthe time......

It's more important what goes in the Mouth than what goes on the Bar!

Original Poster
01-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by WarriorPoet

The bottom line is what we eat when we eat it is very important to how much we lose or gain and what we lose or gain.

Preach on brother man. :D

WarriorPoet
01-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys it's so gratifying to have people agreeing with me about this point after years of people saying that it is calories that count. Calories play a role but content is the real key in my opinion.

Low glycemic as apposed to high for instance, the same amount of calories different result. What about high glycemic carbs after a workout your not going to gain fat but more likely muscle which will burn fat. You are in a similar state when you wake up in the moring. What about eating most of your carbs earlier in the day and getting different results. Eating more often will keep your metabolism higher. I'm sure some of you could add to this list.

IPR
01-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by WarriorPoet
Thanks guys it's so gratifying to have people agreeing with me about this point after years of people saying that it is calories that count. Calories play a role but content is the real key in my opinion.

Low glycemic as apposed to high for instance, the same amount of calories different result. What about high glycemic carbs after a workout your not going to gain fat but more likely muscle which will burn fat. You are in a similar state when you wake up in the moring. What about eating most of your carbs earlier in the day and getting different results. Eating more often will keep your metabolism higher. I'm sure some of you could add to this list.

:D :D

I think what you are saying in a single word is INSULIN control/balance.

Couldn't agree more with you. :D