PDA

View Full Version : The joy of working out

wspe
01-23-2003, 10:21 AM
I woke up this morning at 4:30 this morning.
Why?
Because today I get to work out....I GET TO WORK OUT!!!!!

The last years trials are slow to leave us; but they are ....
I'm sure there are many of you that know the happiness that I am feeling once again.
We have finished the little gym at work welded up a squat rack;
flat bench and built a deadlift platform.. not fancy but functional.
No more "fitness center"
TODAY I GET TO WORKOUT!!!!

TwoWalks
01-23-2003, 11:07 AM
:D fancy don't build muscle - functional does.

Just finished reading a good article about the Fitness industy - then I come here and read this, such is the world of timeing. The mental distraction of the fitness centers of today and the measured floor space. The bright colors and TV's. The people hanging out on equipment to visit and the folks that are looking to make contacts ...Wow. "excuse me ... is that your foot under my barbell?" "You want to do lateral side raises but there is not enough room to raise your arms."

Sounds like you have created the "TRUE" luxery gym, not fancy - functional - and a place to WORKOUT, not look out.:)

Axe
01-23-2003, 11:27 AM
I hear ya!

PLUS you don't have to deal with self-conscious intimidation....

Home-gyming it all the way! (Plus, I get to listen to my OWN tunes!) ;)

JohnnyT
01-23-2003, 01:11 PM
wspe, you forgot to mention you are in the state prison

Brother Phil
01-23-2003, 03:21 PM
I am always interested to hear about other peoples gyms of necessity, and I thought a few of you would enjoy reading about mine. It's in an old tobacco barn (rough hewn beam structure with many air leaks), which is extremely cold this time of year (we're having some record low temps in NC this winter). I have a little gas heater which might raise the temperature enough so you stop seeing your breath. Made a 2 x 4 squat rack, and a cable system out of 2 x 6's and pulleys used for garage door openers. Making a seated calf raise out of a 4 x 4 and some assorted hardware bought at Lowes. We do have 2 benches, 2 olympic bars, 4 or 5 pairs of dumbells, and about 700 lbs of weights. Everyone thinks we're nuts, but besides having to wear gloves to keep your hands from sticking to the freezing bars, it gets the job done.

rjmacbay
01-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Brother Phil
I am always interested to hear about other peoples gyms of necessity, and I thought a few of you would enjoy reading about mine. It's in an old tobacco barn (rough hewn beam structure with many air leaks), which is extremely cold this time of year (we're having some record low temps in NC this winter). I have a little gas heater which might raise the temperature enough so you stop seeing your breath. Made a 2 x 4 squat rack, and a cable system out of 2 x 6's and pulleys used for garage door openers. Making a seated calf raise out of a 4 x 4 and some assorted hardware bought at Lowes. We do have 2 benches, 2 olympic bars, 4 or 5 pairs of dumbells, and about 700 lbs of weights. Everyone thinks we're nuts, but besides having to wear gloves to keep your hands from sticking to the freezing bars, it gets the job done.

I admire your dedication.

TrishB
01-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Brother Phil.....I guess you don't have to worry about the newyears crowds coming there. :D

wspe
01-23-2003, 05:22 PM
SOUNDS LIKE THE RIGHT KIND OF LIFTER TO ME>>>>

SWEAT NEVER DROWNDED NO ONE!!!!

tracyb555
01-23-2003, 05:36 PM
Wow! I admire anyone who can get up and even blink their eyes at that hour. You have some serious dedication going there!

Anomeley
01-23-2003, 05:50 PM
I enjoyed your post. It made me dig out our scrap book of pictures from our business we sold in 99. I thought I had a few of the gym I set up in the lower part of the Joplin warehouse for myself and my employees to use. We had some good workouts, some of my best. I debated on removing the equipment from the asset list when I sold the company but as we had anticipated moving after the sale, I elected not to. Less to move. Sigh......we decided to stay in Joplin. I have worked out since at the Y which has excellent equipment and a few (so very few) hardcore lifters such as myself. Unfortunately, there are more of the guys that stand around and talk a good workout. Good luck with your private gym....they still are the best!

wspe
01-23-2003, 06:15 PM
VERY COOL GYM!!!

JohnnyT
01-24-2003, 06:54 AM
AWESOME, would beat a golds anyday!

back2it
01-24-2003, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by icequeen
A little O/T but I recently learned of another luxury of a small, private gym. . .

(OH, and I can use ALL the equiptment at once if I want to at my gym--what is this "cutting in" stuff?) [/QU
I workout at home but I not so fondly remember my public gym days . Waiting for equipment and listening to the worst music I have ever heard . My wife worked out there too , her and some of the other girls were asked a few times to wear more moderate clothing . As she said what do you want us to wear jogging suits when you don't even have a F____ fan in the place .

Brother Phil
01-25-2003, 09:04 AM
Thanks rjmacbay and wspe for your sentiments.

Trish B.- No New Years crowds, just the occasional snake escaping the cold, or looking for a high pro. meal (mice).

Icequeen- Working out in a gym does have it's advantages.

There is a decent local gym here and my partner and I are considering joining for a month for a change of pace. We'll see. Man, it was COLD this week!!