PDA

View Full Version : advantages of oatmeal vs. oat shakes

B.b. in stress!
09-24-2006, 10:29 PM
I was just wondering because without oat shakes, I honestly wouldn't have lived throughout the summer and until now. every single day, I would be out on the go and pretty much the only thing I ate was oat shakes; I was having about 4-5 a day.

Now, I just dont see y i should eat regular oatmeal when I could just down 1 1/2 cups of oats in about a min. rather than taking 30 min. eating it. the only thing that may be of concern is the fiber being destroyed; I dont get as full when downing an oat shake opposed to eating cooked oatmeal.

Fallen_
09-24-2006, 10:36 PM
I just chuck my oats in a blender and have them in my PWO, so yeah I guess the only advantage I can think of is that it's more convienient than having to cook them.

jaim91
09-25-2006, 03:03 AM
Now, I just dont see y i should eat regular oatmeal when I could just down 1 1/2 cups of oats in about a min. rather than taking 30 min. eating it. the only thing that may be of concern is the fiber being destroyed; I dont get as full when downing an oat shake opposed to eating cooked oatmeal.

I don't thinl it's the fibre getting destroyed that makes you less full, because I don't think the fibre gets destroyed. I think it's just that have 1.5 cups of oatmeal in solid form sticks to your ribs better. It's thicker and richer than a shake, so it leaves you feeling fuller.

P.S. Have you ever tried muscle milk 'n' oats?

lionelxxl
09-25-2006, 03:07 AM
I was just wondering because without oat shakes, I honestly wouldn't have lived throughout the summer and until now. every single day, I would be out on the go and pretty much the only thing I ate was oat shakes; I was having about 4-5 a day.

there's no difference, negligible at least, in 'drinking' or cooking/nuking your oats. The fiber'll still be there. However, i prefer cooking em first as these keep me fuller for a longer period of time. Chugging the same amount down would make me hungry in an hour..

FunkLord
09-25-2006, 03:43 AM
One difference is that the GI will be slightly higher. Any processing you do to speed up the digestion process will increase the GI. The GI difference between cooked rolled oats and uncooked blended oats is most likely very small.

One other thing... and I may be talking out of my ass here, is that chewing is part of the digestion process. If you are getting most of your nutrition through liquids and not chewing your food you're messing with your natural digestion process. I don't really know about how much difference it makes, though, maybe someone who knows a bit more about it could make a post explaining the role of pre-mixing your food with saliva before swallowing.

B.b. in stress!
09-25-2006, 02:22 PM
One difference is that the GI will be slightly higher. Any processing you do to speed up the digestion process will increase the GI. The GI difference between cooked rolled oats and uncooked blended oats is most likely very small.

One other thing... and I may be talking out of my ass here, is that chewing is part of the digestion process. If you are getting most of your nutrition through liquids and not chewing your food you're messing with your natural digestion process. I don't really know about how much difference it makes, though, maybe someone who knows a bit more about it could make a post explaining the role of pre-mixing your food with saliva before swallowing.
ya ill look into that whole chewing thing. but now, i dont have them as often as before. Ill have maybe like 2 a day on non-working days. on working days, ill have like 4 or so.

grapemaster
09-25-2006, 02:49 PM
with me i don't like much on my stomach in the mroning so 1/4 cup steel cut oats in a shake are a okay for me.

OneBetter
09-25-2006, 03:04 PM

not going to make a big difference either way you eat it. but, blending them does raise the GI i believe, which could be the reason why you dont get as full from the shakes as you do when you just cook them and eat them.

jaim91
09-25-2006, 03:20 PM
not going to make a big difference either way you eat it. but, blending them does raise the GI i believe, which could be the reason why you dont get as full from the shakes as you do when you just cook them and eat them.

Why does it raise the gi?

OneBetter
09-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Why does it raise the gi?

increased surface area. your body digests it faster since it doesn't have break it down as much.

nothing to worry too much about, the GI of oats is very low, it's not going to raise them enough to cause concern.

XtremeBody510
09-25-2006, 03:49 PM
^^^^^ right on