PDA

View Full Version : More newbie questions: Water and Reps

Eye2_Man
01-22-2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks Hibiscus09, Gator and maxallen for helping with the last questions.

Here's a couple more beginner questions:

1) Is it good, bad, or neutral to drink some water in between sets? Not enough to get water-logged. Just a couple sips.

2) A lot of posts on these forums advocate lifting heavy weights. I've even seen one post where the person put on so much weight only one rep could be done. When the weight is heavy my joints start to crack. No muscle pain yet. Just joints (elbow and knees) start to complain. So, the question is.... can good gains be achieved with lighter weights with more reps? And, after awhile will the joints stop cracking and failing so that more weight can be gradually added?

Thanks

MagicMel
01-22-2003, 09:52 AM
First of all, welcome to our forum.
There's lots of knowledge and wisdom here, good peeps in general.

1) Water, the ultimate life source without which we cannot survive. Drink as much as you can even while you workout. I consume at least half a gallon in 1 hour at the gym.

2) Heavy weights. When age creeps up on us, the joints start to become a bit more brittle. Heavy weights seems to exacerbate that condition, at least it does with me.
Taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM regularly will help ease the joint pains. Protecting the joints should be a priority especially for the older beginning weight trainer.
If you are just beginning weight training, I would advise you to go with a light weight, high rep (10-15) regimen. Concentrate on perfect form.
Remember, even though your muscles may be ready for a certain amount of weight, your tendons and joints may not.

little lats
01-22-2003, 09:58 AM
I at least drink a liter in a 45 minute work out, then have a shake and then right back for more water. Sometimes it takes more than a litre. Only thing is don't drink to fast, for cramping purposes.

Lifting heavy? Becareful have a spotter, You can make a lot of goals with out going excessive on the weight..

Gator
01-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Ask away Eye...
I drink water all freakin day, I cant hurt ya as far as i know. The more the better, flush out yer system...
Weight wise, since yer beginning to get back into it, I would keep everything in the 10 -12 rep range til yer body gets accustomed to gettin the hell beat out of it..Get yer tendons and ligaments warmed up..You dont want to kill yerself..
Others will have great ideas for u as well Eye..

Gator

giantfan43
01-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Welcome eye -

To answer your questions, I'm just going to echo what's been said ... drink lots of water anytime, anywhere .. (only problem is if your in the over 35 crowd, try to stay as close to a bathroom as possible - LOL) !

As for heavy weights, if your new bro, work your way up .. one rep sets can be extreme and you can go heavy without going that heavy .. lots of good info here concerning workouts and variations ..

And one more thing, take your supplements .. start with a multi-vitamin and some glucosamine for the joints .. you could get more advanced after that but those are good starters !

Welcome aboard !

Eye2_Man
01-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the answers and advice!

Think I'll give TKE Joint Boost a shot.

This is a great site.

MagicMel
01-22-2003, 01:38 PM
Good choice with the Joint Boost.

BTW, did you get your name from the golf club Ping Eye2 ?

Eye2_Man
01-22-2003, 02:09 PM
Joint Boost looked like the best. And it was cheaper than Joint Fuel. Hopefully it'll help over time. Doing squats, bench presses, and military presses make a lot of noise (creaking and cracking and sometimes "thumps") with heavier weights.

Yes on the Ping Eye2's. Mine are the BeCu version. I like them a lot. Had them reshafted last year with True Temper Dynamic Gold with Sensicore S300's. The Winn Diamond Dry grips were great but too brittle. Put on GP Whisper grips a few weeks ago. They're a little too thick though. Will try some I3 red grips maybe later this year.

Have you tried the new I3+ irons? Do you use Ping? How about the Mizuno MX20's?

MagicMel
01-22-2003, 02:32 PM
I just demo'd a set of Callaway Bertha II's. OMG!!! That's all I can say.

I currently use Ping Eye2 knock-offs by Master Grip, with True Temper Black Gold graphite shafts and Tour Wrap grips.

I haven't played much since starting the weight training program last year. Seems like the last time I combined golf and weight lifting it aggravated my "golf elbow". But that was before I discovered Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM. I may just try golfing regularly again and see what happens since I've been on that supp for a few weeks now.

JEFF7322
01-22-2003, 02:40 PM
1) Yes, Water Good!
2) Also try shark cartilage. My training partner had the same problem and swears by it.
Also, you can't train superheavy all the time. It's very tough on the joints and nervous system. So cycle your work outs with a couple weeks of lighter and higher rep training. Most important, if a version of an exercise is painful or unnatural to you, don't do it. Find a substitute for the exercise.
-JEFF

MagicMel
01-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Jeff,

Good points on the painful exercise and cycling of workouts.

FYI, the Chondroitin in TKE Joint Boost comes from purified shark cartilage.

JEFF7322
01-22-2003, 03:26 PM
OK wasn't familliar with the product name. I also use ICY HOT GEL myself which works very well.
-JEFF

back2it
01-22-2003, 04:13 PM
I drink as much water as I feel like consuming during my routine . It varies with the weather . As for lifting heavy it is not a problem if done correctly . Technique is very important anytime , more so when lifting heavy . But if you are just starting DON'T lift heavy until your lifting form has developed and your body is used to handling resistance . In other words build up to it . Cycling is also a good idea .
One rep maximums are not required unless you are competing ,who cares how much you can lift ? If you need to establish what you can do in certain exercises as a means to keep track of progress why not see how much you can lift for say 5 reps . It is easier on the joints and less chance of hurting yourself if your technique is not perfect .

Charger
01-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by back2it
But if you are just starting DON'T lift heavy until your lifting form has developed and your body is used to handling resistance . In other words build up to it . Cycling is also a good idea .

I agree with back2it, lifting heavy before you have learned proper form can result is injury. Slow but steady. I also believe in cycling, keep your body guessing and trying to adapt. Welcome to the board also Eye2