PDA

View Full Version : Incline DB Curls

giantfan43
01-22-2003, 07:37 AM
Hi everyone -

Anyone do these ??? I occasionally add these to my usual arm workout ... I read somewhere that Larry Scott (I think it was him) credited these with growth in his bi's .. I've done them in the past and just did some today for a change ... I never seem to feel comfortable doing them .. I usually set the bench to around 60 degrees and keeping my arm under tension, curl to my shoulders .. I feel like I get a good stretch and I am often a bit sore the next day, but for some reason, I just can't get comfortable doing them .. anyone have a similar experience or any tips ?

WarriorPoet
01-22-2003, 07:52 AM
Try using a thumbless grip, and change the angle to make it a little tougher to 30 degrees. Oh and the thumbless grip will allow you to bend your wrists back all the way. For maximum benefit do drop sets.

Gator
01-22-2003, 07:58 AM
I think it might be awkward for ya, it is w/me for sure, because its all arm. There are no shoulders involved if u choose the right angle.
They hurt if done right, i like em..

Gator

maxallen
01-22-2003, 08:19 AM
I also felt something not quite right about incline curls, and I noticed I was holding the dumbbells in a death grip, and my forearms were failing before my biceps. I totally agree with W.P. switching to a thumbless grip helped that problem. I would add you might need to switch to lower weights until you get used to the grip.

I still occasionally do incline curls, but for the most part I've replaced them with something I like better. You might call them curls with the ultimate incline, which means lying down on a bench. I do two variations, one with my arms splayed out to the side, palms facing outward, and one with arms hanging more straight down, palms facing forward. Talk about getting a stretch. I use a thumbless grip, and light to medium weight (by the time I'm to my last set, I'm usually down to 15 lb or even 12 lb if it's the last excercise in my routine). I love this excersize! If I use a heavier weight, I feel like my biceps are going to burst.

MagicMel
01-22-2003, 08:46 AM
This also is an awkward excercise for me. I add this to my arm routine every couple of weeks just for variety.
It's awkward for me because I have to keep the db's a little further away from my body. If I don't, the db gets catches the side of the bench. I also use a db that is 5 lbs lighter than standing db curls.
I like them because it isolates the bi's with minimum shoulder movement almost as well as a concentration curl.

giantfan43
01-22-2003, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the opinions ....

Warrior - I'm going to try it at a lower angle .. I've never tried it lower than 45 degrees or so ..

Also gonna try the thumbless grip .. and lower the weight .. I like doing them for all the reasons you guys mentioned .. just always seems so uncomfortable and awkward ...

thanks again ..

edster951
01-22-2003, 12:50 PM
I only do these for a couple of sets.

I have the chair almost verticle, and raise the dbs, coming up at an angle of about 45degrees, ie the db's dont rub my hegs on the way up, they are flared out slightly. After doing 2 sets of 6 reps, today I did think my bi's were going to burst.

Also in my challenge I posted the result of my experiment.

I took a tape today and did a pre and post arm measurment.

Pre workout - 16.25in
Post workout 17.5in
An increase due to the pump of 1.25in!!

Thats why they felt like they were going to explode.

Keep pumping with drop sets to finish off the arm nicely. I finish with hammer curls pumping left right left right, and drop set to almost no weight. If someone walked in while I was on my last set, they'd think I was a nancy boy pumping 10lbs and straining, sweating away :)

giantfan43
01-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Edster - that is an amazing pump.

To your point on drop sets, I did them today with tricep cable pushdowns .. started out at 100 and actually ran the stack down to 20 .. the last few reps I thought my arm was going to explode and all I kept thinking about was "man, if someone saw me with this weight, they would think I was a p***y !"

Thanks for the tips !

dip2getbig
01-22-2003, 02:50 PM
These are great for lengthening the bicep's head , for achieving a better peak . Robby Robinson utilized the incline dumbell curl exclusively for his bi's , he had 1 of the best peaks in bodybuilding , for any age , let alone for a masters .

http://www.darkwoods.com/bodybuilder/male/bb/gallery/fullsize/rrobin08.jpg

edster951
01-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by giantfan43
Edster - that is an amazing pump.

To your point on drop sets, I did them today with tricep cable pushdowns .. started out at 100 and actually ran the stack down to 20 .. the last few reps I thought my arm was going to explode and all I kept thinking about was "man, if someone saw me with this weight, they would think I was a p***y !"

Thanks for the tips !
Did you start laughing at that lighter weight....

Its so funny struggling at that weight it makes me almost laugh at myself.

And yes, definitely finish arms off with pumpming both bi's and tris down to almost no weight. Do a before and after measure and see for yourself. I was expecting 1/4 to 1/2 inch, but not 1.25in.

dip2getbig
01-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Now , if we can only find a way to keep that pumped-up size , huh ??? Wishful thinkng ...

edster951
01-22-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by dip2getbig
Now , if we can only find a way to keep that pumped-up size , huh ??? Wishful thinkng ...
tourniquet.....

dip2getbig
01-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Well , if this guy did them , they "HAVE" to be good !!!!!!

http://www.darkwoods.com/bodybuilder/male/bb/gallery/fullsize/arnold24.jpg

Gollum
01-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by dip2getbig
Well , if this guy did them , they "HAVE" to be good !!!!!!

http://www.darkwoods.com/bodybuilder/male/bb/gallery/fullsize/arnold24.jpg

Who's he? :D

I'm a big fan of incline curls.Been doing them forever.I like to use a weight light enough to allow perfect form and peak contraction.Also,a little trick I read somewhere.At the top of the movement,twist your palms away from your body and flex hard.Then lower slowly and end with your plam facing your side.What a burn!