BICEP
Arm Curl
12 20 1 5
10 25 1 6
8 27.5 1 7
6 30 1 8
10 30 0 8 forgot I was suppose to do 12
12 20 2 10 modular arm curl

My shoulders had the best workout, those I felt. Change back and chest exercises.

Breakfast burrito on whole wheat wrap with lean hamburger meat, low-fat sr cream, salsa, 2 tbsp low-fat cheddar cheese.

1/2 choc-lite shake.

Another burrito for late lunch/early dinner.
late dinner consisted of salmon w/ lite italian dressing for a marinade, fresh string beans & brown rice. next meal was cottage cheese & apple mixed w/ oops some walnuts. didn't drink enough water

1/21/03
apple/cottage cheese
grilled chicken salad w/ low -fat dressing and grilled veggies and onions. Sprinkle of parmasean then realized that can't have cheese. another oops. drank plenty of water so far.

have to get my six meals in. I think I have an achilles heal and I guess running on it this morning didn't help. Do the bike on Thursday, give the foot a rest. (like a week)

I don't feel like I'm dieting, so I think I really need to see what I am eating, ie sugar-free hot chocolate,no - good,just looked at the number of cals. I think I might give up the artificial sweeteners, get away from the sweet taste altogether. I don't mind drinking a tall glass of diet-decaf-ice-tea, but replace it with straight water. I'm drinking the ice-tea for the sweetness, not because I am thirsty.

TrishB
01-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Hi Fun...I have not seen you around here yet, so welcome! :)

Looks like you are doing BFL and you are off to a great start!
Good luck with your challenge. :)

IPR
01-21-2003, 08:46 PM
FTBM, could you post your goal in 12 weeks and your current for comparison?

Then we can scold you went you stray ;) :D

funtobeme
01-21-2003, 09:06 PM
And next you will want to see before pics!!!(kidding)

My goal is to lose weight and become very tone!

Current Goal
stats

5' 7 5' 7"
162 lbs 138 lbs
28 % bodyfat 20%
Okay I didn't put this up the first night, because I couldn't believe the numbers, but here goes,
Chest 38"
Waist 35" gees, I always thought I couldn't wear my husband's pants because of his shapely rear, didn't think about his 34" waist being a problem.
Hips 41"
Arms 12" (biceps)

Main goal is to get back to healthy eating and stay there. I got off track after a miscarriage thru ivf and not able to have kids until 5 years later, 2 healthy loving kids. Emotionally, even though, I always maintained aerobics, I bagged the gym, and once you lose the weights, the weight comes on strong. I pretty much thru most of my life maintained btw 130 - 140. Though, the number on the scale isn't what is important it is what I look like.
I use to be pretty shapely, my legs were always my best assest. I would literally have people make comments on them.Anyway one of the one side effect of ivf is weight gain from the meds.

As for my health, even though I didn't eat well the last five years, I have had a stress test and a cardiac scoring test. Which I am happy to say the stress test couldn't be any better, and the scoring ranges from 0 to 1000 as for the amount of calcium buildup in your ateries, mine was a zero. Also, my resting heart beat is btw 50 - 55.

I am not sure of the bodyfat % as far as what is reasonable to lose in 12 weeks. The weight works out to 2 lbs a week, not so unreasonable.

So, there you have it ipr. Hound me all you want, I am ready for the challenge.

See yas

TwoWalks
01-21-2003, 10:11 PM
Funtobeme, glad you started your challenge thread, it will make it easier for a lot of folks to meet you as well as offer advice.

Also it will be easier for the
:) round guy to keep an eye on ya :)

Hibiscus09
01-22-2003, 06:48 AM
Good luck with your challenge Fun! I know you'll do great!

funtobeme
01-22-2003, 08:05 AM
Hey Hibiscus & Two-walks,
Thanks for the support. I need to add my measurements and if I really believe that I am going to go all the way with this, than I should add my before pics!!!!! Hey Hibisc, I didn't get a chance to pm you, but I can't believe you are from a big family too. Many personalities and many talents. In my family we have everything from a doctor - a dancer. What's the breakdown boy vs girls. and the ages. I am one of the "kids", ages range from 50 - 33.
Okay, stop bsing and get back to work.

Okay did lower body today and I have to say I really don't feel like I do a workout. I actually added a set of squats, because I love those and they really work my butt off, no pun intended.

So, today I did

leg presses
12 90 1 5
10 110 1 6
8 130 1 7
6 140 1 7
12 150 0 8
12 50 1 8 front leg raises - need to add more weight, legs are a lot stronger than I gave credit

hamstrings
front pull downs - have no idea of the name of the excercise
12 45 1 5
10 52.5 1 6
8 60 1 7
6 75 1 7
12 60 0 8
12 40 1 8 hamstring pullups - lay on bench and put legs under bar.

Calves
sitting calf raises
12 20 1 5
10 30 1 6
8 40 1 7
6 50 1 7
12 60 0 8
12 40 2 8 calf pushup standing. I have an achilles heel that really hampered the calf workout. Really can do more weight on all these exercises. The only one I think I hit right was my shoulders.

Squats
12 50 1 7
12 50 1 8
12 50 1 8

abs
25 crunches
20 left oblique
20 right oblique
25 crunches.

Breakfast
shake at 8:30am

Hibiscus09
01-22-2003, 08:12 AM
looks good funtobeme! :)

Just for information purposes (not trying to be a know it all) -- the front pulldown hamstring thing is probably a hamtractor. I'm assuming you're sitting on a seat with your ankles on top of a pad & pulling the weight down towards the floor and them up under you a little. The other hamstring exercises, i.e, when you sit & put your feet under a pad & pull your legs up (that's an extension) and when you lay down on your tummy & pull the weights up behind you pulling your ankles to your hiney (that's a hamstring curl). It doesn't really matter --but just in case you wanted to know. :)

I am the youngest of 14 kids. I'm 41 & the oldest is a sister 18 years older than I am. There are 8 girls & 6 boys. The last 10 of us were born less than a year apart! My mom had me when she was 41.

funtobeme
01-22-2003, 08:24 AM
Thanks Hibiscus, I like to know the names of the machines. I'm one of those people that doesn't really pay attention to details that are meaningless to me. In other words I know it works the hamstrings, so why do I care what the name is. Then I try to tell someone what I did and sound like an idiot for not knowing the name. I do the same thing with books (are I should say when I use to read books, no time for that), I could read a great book, and someone will ask me who the author is or even the name of the book and I have no idea!! So, thanks.

I don't know why I put 13, maybe I was thinking of my mom's miscarriage, I dont' know, maybe a blonde thing? We are 12 kids.
I am 36, with 3 younger than me. My younger brother and I are irish twins, 10 1/2 months apart. But most of us are right in a row. except for my brother that is older than me, there is a 3 year difference. My mom had her last child at age 42. My mom is from a family of 14 kids, I think my husband, boyfriend at the time thought, gees I hope this doesn't run in the family otherwise were bound to have 10 kids!!! Who would of thought, coming from a big family that you would have trouble having kids, you kind of take it for granted. It was great growing up with a big family. There was always someone to play with, we had our own teams when it came to playing sports, us against the neighborhood. Lots of fun.

Hibiscus, you are pretty well built if I remember you pics. Question, have you always worked out, or did you recently start.

Hibiscus09
01-22-2003, 08:31 AM
I've been working out for 7 years. (I slacked pretty bad for that last year, though!) I was a skinny minnie before I started lifting. I had very narrow shoulders & my arms (which aren't so big now) were non-existant. I look back at pictures & think that I can't believe I was ever that small framed. I'm much happier now. I lost 10% bodyfat in the first 12 weeks after I started lifting because I did a program very similar to BFL. That made a big difference. I also noticed after about 6 months that I was putting on some muscle & looking more fit.

By the way, I'm the way you are with movies. Someone can ask me a week later & I have no idea what the title to the movie was unless it's a giveaway -- like the "Titanic." Lol

tracyb555
01-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Glad to have another lady joining us in the challenge. I think you will find lots of support & advice here. Keep up the good work.

Gator
01-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Good luck Fun, great people here to help u along the way..
Keep us in the loop...

Gator

wyattn
01-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09
looks good funtobeme! :)

The other hamstring exercises, i.e, when you sit & put your feet under a pad & pull your legs up (that's an extension) and when you lay down on your tummy & pull the weights up behind you pulling your ankles to your hiney (that's a hamstring curl). It doesn't really matter --but just in case you wanted to know. :)

Just a technicality and not really important in the big picture, but wouldn't the extensions actually be a quad exercise and not a hamstring exercise?

funtobeme
01-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Hey Wyattn,

I am no fitness expert but it's not a front raise. I am lying on my front and lifting my legs to my butt, which puts the strain on my hamstrings, hamstring curl.

The other machine, you sit, and put your ankles over a bar, another bar you lower on your quads to keep you stationary and to put all the strain on your hamstrings. Then you push the bar down.

The other machine where you sit and put your ankles behind the bars and pull up is for your quads. See, that is where it would probably help if I knew the name of the machines instead of confusing you with my description.

MagicMel
01-22-2003, 01:30 PM
fun,

The machine that you do leg or hamstring curls on is called the Leg Curl or Hamstring Curl machine.

And I will let you guess what the machine that you do leg extensions on is called.

Not tryin' to be funny, jus' tryin' to help.

Hibiscus09
01-22-2003, 01:52 PM
You would be correct Wyatt. :) I just included it because all those machines kind of look alike & I was trying to help Fun know what they are -- I didn't even notice I put they were a hamstring exercise. I'm really tired too -- I guess that's why I typed that. Did legs myself today. :)

Hibiscus09
01-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Fun, hope I didn't confuse you with the misinformation. I hate extensions -- probably why I had those things on my mind! :)

funtobeme
01-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Hey Mel,

Thanks, I don't mind you pointing it out. Love the info, I figure if I hear it enough, I'll remember it.

Oh it's time for water. I have to make myself drink it. When I am at work, I get a 32 oz water bottle and make myself drink it before lunch. After lunch, I have another one.

MagicMel
01-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Water, gooooood.

I drink 1 1/2 to 2 gallons a day.
1/2 gal at the gym alone.

wyattn
01-23-2003, 07:57 AM
You would be correct Wyatt. :) I just included it because all those machines kind of look alike & I was trying to help Fun know what they are -- I didn't even notice I put they were a hamstring exercise. I'm really tired too -- I guess that's why I typed that. Did legs myself today. :)

no worries....I just thought I would say something....BTW, I've seen your posts around a lot of the threads and I enjoy reading them. Keep the good stuff flowing...those of us stuck in ruts live off positvie vibes like your sending.

Hibiscus09
01-23-2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks, Wyatt! I have a journal I'm keeping for Body For Life on the female bodybuilding forum in the journal section. It motivates me to read all the stuff people put on here. It also motivates me to write so sometimes I just go on and on! :)

wyattn
01-23-2003, 09:00 AM
Thanks, Wyatt! I have a journal I'm keeping for Body For Life on the female bodybuilding forum in the journal section. It motivates me to read all the stuff people put on here. It also motivates me to write so sometimes I just go on and on! :)

Read your journal...good stuff on it, and btw, I think you posted the after photo accidently as the before photo. Looks to me like your starting were most people are looking to finish...but the journal is awesome and lots of good motivating activity.

funtobeme
01-23-2003, 09:10 AM
What a night, I had. My wonderful daughter of 6 mos was waking every 40 minutes and then from 3 - 4:26, she decide to wake every 14 - 16 minutes. Finally, I just pulled her into bed with me. I am blanking exhausted. Didn't get to the gym until 7:30am to do my 20 minute workout. Crabby as can be. Have you seen the commercials for foxes nightmare brides, I forget the name but it shows the brides turning into real monsters. Hello, that was me this morning. I know my husband is probably pissed, but I am definitely grouchy. He invaded my bathroom space this morning and that did it, I could kill. Can't he let me brush my teeth in peace!!! Okay needed to vent. You can tell I need my sleep. Packed my water for the gym and left it home. Should be at work by 9:00, arrived at 9:35, had to get gas, the light was on and I had no idea for how long, though when I finally got gas, it took 19.92 gallons of gas, it's only a 20 gallon tank, that would of done me in if I ran out of gas especially in this cold weather. Production problem at work. Made a shake to take with me this morning, the lid wasn't on all the way and spilt on my coat during the drive. drank 32ozs of water this morning, peed before I left, had to go so bad when i finally made it to work, I have an hour drive. With a morning like this, this is usually when I say screw the diet!!!! Oh, and inadvertently I cheated yesterday. Made my daughter P&B sandwich and I cut off the edges for her and force of habit, I always eat them. Shoot I didn't even realize it to later. So, today, no low-fat dressing, just plain jane.

Had a good aerobic 20 minute, did the bike due to my achilles heel. Somebody is eating bacon, the nerve of them, (kidding). Okay just fixed the production problem, things are getting better.

See Yas, Not a quitter, just needed to vent, Thanks to all you poor souls that listened. It's actually amusing to me, have to laugh. the funniest thing is how up and happy my daughter is in the morning, oblivious to what she put me thru in the night. Gotta love 'em. Payback is when I hit old age, whether I am senile or not, I am using it, I might just use depends when I go to visit them, and let them change my diaper for a change. lol

see yas.

Hibiscus09
01-23-2003, 09:20 AM
Thanks Wyatt!

Fun, breathe deeply. . . :) It will be alright -- before I started this plan when I was just trying to eat healthy, I used to throw Lucky Charms into my mouth or lick the peanutbutter & jelly spoon and it would hit me afterwards what I had done. Takes a little while to adjust! :)

TwoWalks
01-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Funtobeme ... in some BFL circles I am known as a ... because of my yelling over people, looking for excuses not to stick to the diet. I am on occasions known by other not so nice names, but really I am a nice guy and understanding:) YOU ATE THE CRUST no big deal. What is a big deal is that you are working toward that perfect diet. You are working toward the perfect workout and you are working toward the perfect schedule. Reality is that you will never reach perfection.

The diet works on determination and averages. Work at it and it will work. Slip out of habit, eat the crust, pop a cracker into your mouth or any number of other weird little things we do and when it is all said and done, it won't make any difference in the average. Use it as an excuse and it will sink your ship.

Hey your doing great - your seeing what is going on and understanding it and your working a improving in all areas Congratulations keep it up.

IPR
01-23-2003, 06:22 PM
Fun, great vent :)

I am very impressed that even after all that happened you still went to the gym......well done indeed :D

Those force of habit things can be a real demon, usually you don't could them as real calories. I see my wife doing this all the time with our daughter at meal times .......... I can't quite understand how "not wasting it" equates with eating my daughters leftovers, surely if my daughter had eaten it my wife would have been satisfied with her own meal she had just eaten? Sorry I'm rambling.

Keep doing Fun, you'll get there ;)

MagicMel
01-24-2003, 09:07 AM
TwoWalks.
Very well said. There is nothing more that I could possibly add that wasn't stated so eloquently in your reply.

IPR,
I can identify with "not wasting it". That's how I got to be 170lbs after meeting my wife in 1989. I weighed about 132lbs then, and could max bench 200. She weighed 87lbs and ate like it, too. So much "wasted" food at restaurants. I started eating her leftovers just because. When I finally learned to just order, or cook a single large meal with an extra salad, the damage was already done. 150lbs and getting heavier after 2 or 3 years. 170lbs last June. That's when I got back to the gym and lost nearly 30lbs by the end of summer. I'm bulking now so I'm back at 150, but I feel great!

Fun,
You just keep on keepin' on. Little slip-ups are fine. Don't sweat it. Or maybe DO sweat it, at the gym that is.

funtobeme
01-24-2003, 09:10 AM
Hey IPR,

You're not rambling, and I too am guilty of your wife's habits. Have to learn to control eating, when your hungry eat. Of course I am also an atkins believer, and a lot of what he says about cravings with the insulin, carbs, etc... is true. I don't think atkins is for everyone, okay now I'm starting to ramble.

Anyway did my workout. Yeh, because again, i was late. Didn't get to the gym until 7:10am.

OOps gotta go, have a 11 meeting.

Okay as I was saying, did upper body which was pretty good.

Pushed the chest, shoulders, back, triceps.
Biceps, were ehh, actually I was so concerned about the time and getting to work that I was watching the clock and when I finsihed my "last" 12 I booked out of there. as I hit the car, I realized I forgot to do my last 12 with a different exercise, argh..
I don't care it was a really good workout! One thing I did wrong on my first go around w/ upper body, was not holding it at the top and bottom for a second. Not that I was using momentum to get thru my workout, but definitely felt a difference by holding it.

Must get to the gym earlier, set the alarm, daughter had me up at 4:40, so i assumed I would get back out of bed in 30 minutes, not 2 hours and 30 minutes. Monday, we will be there by 6:00am!!! Good thing free day works out to be Superbowl Sunday. I'll be good and have michelob ultra lite, only 2.5gms of carb.

Almost one week down!!!!

TrishB
01-24-2003, 11:15 AM
You are doing great Fun....don't let the "little" things prevent you from reaching your goals! :)

funtobeme
01-25-2003, 09:57 AM
Hey Thanks Trish and everyone else for your support.

Today was tough, bad night with baby, trying to wean her off night feedings,which means I am up every hour, then half hour, than 15, 10 minutes. Yikes!

Anyway did my cardio at 10:30, but I did it, and I might say hit a 9, tough for me to hit a 10 with running. Have to add incline.

5.5 -2min.
5.8 -1min 5.8 - 1min 5.8 - 1min 6.4 - 1min 5.8 1min
6.1 -1min 6.2 - 1min 6.3 - 1min 7.0 - 1min
6.4 -1min 6.6 - 1min 6.8 - 1min 7.6 - 1min
6.8 - 1min 7.0 - 1min 7.3 - 1min 8.2 - 1min

TwoWalks
01-25-2003, 10:34 AM
Fun, you are doing fantastic. I think it is always hard in the beginning because we are trying to break old habits, create new habits. Fight with schedules and things just are not a feflex on the good side. Now add too that a new baby and it is unbelievably hard and your doing it. Just think, when that baby starts sleeping all night and things become good reflex habits how eeeeaaasy it will seem:D

funtobeme
01-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Hey TwoWalks, Thanks. I've been caught up in myself here and haven't even asked you, how's it going? I will go to your thread and see, but by the sounds of you, I'm sure quite well.

Okay, today is free day, but I decided to do my legs today, this way, less time during the week in the gym, so if I am running behind, at least I wont be so late to work.

Quads
leg press 12/110, 10/130, 8/140, 6/160, 12/140
front leg curl 15/45, need more weight, but the next level was 60 and I could of tried it but didn't think I would get 12, next time we'll go for 60.

Hamstrings
leg curl 12/52.5, 10/60, 8/67.5, 6/75 12/60,
back leg ext. 12/45, 6/45 - need more weight.

calves
sitting calf raises 12/30, 10/40, 8/50, 6/80, 12/60
standing calf raises 12/75

squats
12/50, 12/50, 12/50

adductor 12/60, 12/60, 12/70
abductor 12/60, 12/60, 12/60 definitely could increase wt on both of these

hubbies measurements
waist 36, hips 39 1/2, chest 42, thigh 24, bicep 15, belly 40 lol

funtobeme
01-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Okay, cheat day really wasn't so bad. I really thought I would pig out. But you are not that hungry. Granted I did have a cookie w/ my daughter and a donut, but otherwise, nothing too bad. I even did my leg workout this morning.

Monday - blues, didn't win superbowl pool(lol).
Though didn't let that stop me from doing a great cardio. did the bike at lvl 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
My quads were burning from the day before workout and I pushed myself on the bike, I think the rpm's I kept btw 81 & 88, and my hr was at 141. I know I can get that higher, I usually push my runs where I have it at 167. Felt good, really felt the sweat start pretty quick.

Today, did a good workout on the upper body.
I know it was good, when I went to take a shower, it was tough washing my hair.

It's been a week, and I can't say that I've seen too much of a change on the scale (need new scale, one that likes me, kidding)
maybe about 3 pounds. Though, I will say that I can see the difference. Trust I am not discouraged, things are good. Unfortunately for me, unlike hibiscus and trishb, I have a lot to lose and definitely am seeing results. You two look great! The days when i use to look like that are coming back, no stopping me now.

MagicMel
01-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Hey fun,

Did I read your post right? Lost 3 lbs in a week? Way to go!!! Losing more than that per week and you might be losing muscle, so monitor BF% too.

Also, I read somewhere here that doing cardio the day after doing legs is counterproductive. But doing cardio on the SAME day immediately after legs was fine. Does any one here have any feedback about that?

I know I personally need 48 hrs to recoup from legs before I do any cardio.

Axe
01-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Hey Fun...

Sounds like you are really giving it your all for your workouts! That's just fantastic!

Keep up the great work!

funtobeme
01-28-2003, 11:14 AM
Thanks MagicMel & Axe

I know you are right about the weight, but trust me I have a lot to lose, so I think 3 is reasonable in the first week.

I know you should give your muscles 48 hours to rebuild, but I've never considered that the case with cardio. I know I was using the bike, and yes it was hitting my quads, but I kind of think I would of felt almost the same if I hadn't worked my quads.

You know the saying no pain no gain!!!

Thanks for the insight.

I love this site, you guys and gals are great!!!

Thanks for all the support and keep it coming!

Hey Axe, my mom is originally from Canada, Quebec. That makes me 1/2 French-Canadian. I haven't been to Canada since I was a kid, uhhhh 2 yrs ago, in my dreams.

See yas, thanks again.:)

funtobeme
01-31-2003, 12:50 PM
Quads
leg press 12/140, 10/160, 8/180, 6/190, 12/160
front leg curl 12/60,

Hamstrings
leg curl 12/57.5, 10/62.5, 8/67.5, 6/75 12/67.5,
back leg ext. 12/50, .

calves
sitting calf raises 12/50, 10/70, 8/90, 6/100, 12/80
standing calf raises 12/95

squats
12/60, 12/60, 12/60

adductor 12/70, 12/70, 12/80
abductor 12/80, 12/80, 12/80

Axe
01-31-2003, 01:17 PM
Hey Fun...feel free to come back and shovel some snow! ;)

TwoWalks
01-31-2003, 02:34 PM
Fun, it looks like everything is just about perfect for this time and place. The workouts look good and the mental attitude (most important part) is really humming.

3#'s during the first week is doing great. For health reasons as well as showing that you are really in the nutrition groove you should be in the 1 - 2# per week range. Most times when all things are right for early change, you will lose at a higher rate for the first month with a slight tapering off after that, so this puts you in perfect spot. Some people have to get the metabolism operating so they see the biggest change at the end of the 12 weeks.

Doing awsome, but don't get caught in how much you have to lose only in the fact you are losing :D

IPR
01-31-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by TwoWalks
Doing awsome, but don't get caught in how much you have to lose only in the fact you are losing :D

Fun, you are doing great. :)

I agree with Twowalks, although its hard don't be impatient. Let this become a way of life rather than a diet/fat loss regime, and then how long it takes doesn't matter, just that you continue in the direction you want. :D

tracyb555
01-31-2003, 05:18 PM
Fun - you are doing great!

TwoWalks had some excellent advice. I lost 75 lbs about 1 1/2 years ago, and agree that the best way to brace yourself for the long journey is to learn patience, think positive thoughts (instead of worrying about the total amount you have to lose, give yourself some pats on the back for taking the steps to improve your body).

Take measurements (other than scale) or pictures along the way. Chances are, you won't notice the changes because you see yourself every day. But if you look at photos you take once a month or so, you will definitely be able to see the improvements.

Keep up the good work!

TrishB
01-31-2003, 05:26 PM
Fun...you just keep up the great work. As the others have said this is a life change, it is not just a temporary fix. So take your time and slowly watch yourself become a new person.
And take lots of pics!!! When you look back in a few months, you will see some incredible changes. :)

funtobeme
02-01-2003, 04:54 PM
Hey guys and girls,

Thanks a lot, I really needed to hear the comments I heard because I have to say I am a little disappointed this week.
Granted it, it was my birthday, so Thursday night we went out for dinner and even though I didn't stick to the body for life regime, I didn't pig-out!! I had Salmon w/ a creame sauce. My natural choice would of been pasta w/ cream and chicken. Tried to stay healthy, even the salad, stayed w/ a balsamic vinegarette. Anyway, no, I wasn't looking at the scale but how clothes are fitting or how I am looking!! The bad news is the clothes feel the same. Actually, I think the pants might have felt a little tight in the hip area, I know that might be from the squats. So, I was really bumming today. Though, even though today is my free day, I went to the gym and did upper body this morning. I missed Thursday due to 2 lovely kids having me up the whole night!! Kids cheap, anyone want 'em. (totally kidding).

This week I am really going to go at it hard. I mean no low-fat anything. Going for the bland. I do feel the workouts, but I know when I use to do weights I alternated days and did each body part twice a week, so maybe that's why I'm not see any results!! I guess I just think that I am a 1/6th of the way there and there is nothing to report as far as any difference, I wouldn't care so much if I didn't have so much to lose. I am the type of person who needs motivation and to lose or look a little different would of been enough! I am going the 12, but I prayer something looks different at the end of it!!

Thanks kids and hopefully the rest of you are having results!!

TwoWalks
02-01-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by funtobeme
Hey guys and girls,

Thanks a lot, I really needed to hear the comments I heard because I have to say I am a little disappointed this week.
I am going the 12, but I prayer something looks different at the end of it!!

Fun, I don't know how many different body places you made measurements on before you started but the more the better. You need to remember something that might help. The fat on your body is like an onion and it comes off in layers not spots. When you lose 3#'s of body fat it is all over in equal amounts. You need to divide that 3 points by the whole body and then you will realize that in no one spot will you see much if any change. The more we start with the longer before we begin to see changes in things like clothing size or fit. PLEASE do not allow yourself to start thinking in negative ways. Do look at things with a critical eye ... where did you not follow the program as written? How many times during the week did you cheat on the nutrition? Did you drink all the water you were suppose too? Did some of the foods you choose not fresh food and may have had added sugar? Did you stick with the fat/carb/protien split for all six meals? Where each of those meals the right size or were they maybe a little over? Are your expectations reasonable and easily obtained?

From where I sit and this is not a judgement, it seems that you are changing the workouts and the foods around based on expectation. For any program too work you must give it time too work.

Now for the big one ----STRESS will inhibit or slow body fat burning - are you stressing?

Like we have said you are doing great, you lost 3#'s in a week ... that is 156#'s in a year. :D How much do you need to lose and how long did it take to gain that much? You are changing habits not walking on water. There is no magic pixy dust that you can sprinkly in the air and wake up tomorrow wearing a size 4 ... if there were believe me, I would get the rights too it and be living on easy street

funtobeme
02-03-2003, 08:38 AM
Hi TwoWalks,

Thanks for the advice. I will say my biggest problem is the 6 meals. I drink the water and do the workouts. Maybe it's the workouts. I do feel sore the next day, but could I keep pushing myself, I'm sure. But then again, I read in one of Bill's notes that don't do a full sprint when he was describing a level 10 with running. All I can say is I feel the burn with cardio in the sense that I want to stop and can't wait for the minute to be up, but if you said you have to do 2 minutes at that rate, I know I could. But what I am currently doing, I am drenched at the end of the 20 minutes, so it's not like I am not exerting myself.

As for the food, I called the 1-800 # twice because I wasn't sure if you were allowed to add non-fat stuff. According to them yes.
I'm reading the labels, checking for sugar. As a matter of fact, one of eas's bars has an unbelievable amount of sugar. I am looking at all of that. Though, again I need to do the 6 meals. I admit last week wasn't a great week, but it isn't as if I pigged out. I still did my workouts and I've been eating healthier than I have in years.

As for how long did it take the weight to come on, believe it or not, I dropped 12lbs before I went back to work in November, it took 6 weeks for it to come back with an extra 2lbs. What was different, i was home and active with the kids. I would take them jogging for a 3 mile run and or take them for walks. I wasn't eating as much, not that I was eating that healthy, but definitely less. Also, I was still breast-feeding.

So, I just kind of thought that I am into my 3rd week of this and that something would feel a little better fitting. Yesterday, I didn't workout and only had 3 meals, one a burrito w/ lean hamburger meat, salsa, low-fat sr cream, fat-free cheese. Another burito with top sirloin, peppers and onions and fat-free cheese, dinner was salmon w/ zuchinni and tomatoes, and wild rice.

Today I wake up and I am 3lbs heavier than where I started the diet. Needless to say, I was on the verge of tears. I don't know what made me do my workout, but I did it.

I guess to me, if this isn't going to work I am willing to do something else, but I would hate to think that I try the 12 weeks and for the most part stick with it and end up at the same point or worse weighing more and still not able to fit into any of my clothes at the end.

Today, I did

squats, 70 lbs 3 x 12
hamstrings 60, 65, 72.5 80, 75 50
calves 60, 80, 95, 115 95 standing calves102.5
quads 57.5, 60, 65, 70, 65,leg press 180

situps 50 crunches.

No, I haven't even ate today. So, now I'll go get my shake.

As for stress, yeh there is, but I have to tell you September thru November was a lot more stressful for me than now and I dropped the weight. Though, I do agree with ya, when ya feeling good and positive, it almost doesn't matter what you eat, the weight will drop. That's why, waking up today and discovering that I was 3 lbs heavier just about shot my psychee!

Okay, if you can't tell it by now, yeh I am down. So, let me stop writing and just hope tomorrow when I go to get dressed for work that one of my pair of pants will fit and I wont have to call in because I have nothing to wear. How pathetic.

Hibiscus09
02-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Keep on, keeping on Fun! You sound like me. LOL It will work -- just keep trying, make sure you get your meals in -- I think 5 meals will be fine, if you can't get to #6 -- just plan for 5. Oh, and by the way, when I eat less -- I tend to gain weight. They had to hammer the importance of eating into my head on this site.

TwoWalks
02-03-2003, 11:24 AM
As for how long did it take the weight to come on, believe it or not, I dropped 12lbs before I went back to work in November, it took 6 weeks for it to come back with an extra 2lbs.

Today I wake up and I am 3lbs heavier than where I started the diet.

Fun, this is only my view but here it goes. The above two statements sound a whole lot like water weight loss and gain. Dropping 12 pounds of water is not unusual and gaining it back quickly is a pretty good sign of water. Also the 3# more weight than when you started also sounds like water weight ... to have gained that in fat weight you would have had to consume 10,500 excess calories.

During my first two weeks on BFL, I gained 4 pounds because of getting water into the muscle and then during week 3 & 4 everything dropped like crazy.

I guess to me, if this isn't going to work I am willing to do something else

BODY FOR LIFE does work
KETO does work
ATKINS does work
WEIGHT WATCHERS does work

The truth is, they do not work for every one. When we look for a program for losing weight there is one important thing that is over looked by most people. Does this program fit my personality and goals. Body for Life fit my personality and goals. I knew I would never be able to count calories or points, I knew I would never be able to eat salad three times a day. What I did know was what made sence too me and what fit my belief system. Truth is, Body for Life does not sound like it fits your goals, your belief system and your immediate goals. You infact might want to look at Keto or Atkins ... my best guess would suggest getting ahold of MsFits new book and seeing if her program fits you better. It fits Hibiscus better and also TrishB.

I guess I have expounded about all I know, from here it is up too you. No matter what you decide we will all be here to help. Go get em!

funtobeme
02-03-2003, 12:05 PM
I know you might not believe this but I am not ready to quit yet!!!
I am really not a quitter. Though, If I don't see some type of results soon, it will be hard to keep a positive attitude. Thanks for letting me know about the water weight with muscles. Again, I really couldn't care if the scale said i weighed 210 lbs. As long as I felt that I looked good and clothes fit okay. Even that, I don't care what size I fit into, it's how I look and health. I lost a brother coming up on 2 years ago, he was young, too young to die from coronary problems. I have 5 brothers and he would of been the last one that I ever thought would die so young or from something of that nature. He was probably in the best shape out of my 5 brothers. Anyway, so health is right up there with how I feel that I look!!

Two-Walks, thanks, I am not trying to be one of those difficult candidates. Just a tough time.

Thanks.

Hibiscus09
02-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Fun, as you know I have six brothers. I lost one of mine also 3 weeks before I got married. He was 24 years old and died in a car wreck in Germany after being in a coma for 2 weeks. That was the worst thing that ever happened to me -- I definitely know how that feels.

Don't worry about Two Walks thinking you're difficult -- he's been listening to my paranoia for a while now & hasn't become violent yet! :)

I know you're not a quitter! I won't be either. Maybe we can both jump for joy at the end of all of this. :)

TwoWalks
02-03-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by funtobeme
I know you might not believe this but I am not ready to quit yet!!!
I am really not a quitter. Though, If I don't see some type of results soon, it will be hard to keep a positive attitude.

Two-Walks, thanks, I am not trying to be one of those difficult candidates. Just a tough time.

Thanks.

Don't worry about Two Walks thinking you're difficult -- he's been listening to my paranoia for a while now & hasn't become violent yet! I know you're not a quitter! I won't be either. Maybe we can both jump for joy at the end of all of this.

:D I know that you are not a quitter and you are not difficult. You want what all of us wants . positive results and better health. I think you should really give BFL six weeks and if you are not seeing results ... I don't want you to be bull headed, then we can look around and find something that does work.

One of my biggest personal problems is, not letting go of an idea. I decide it works and I am going to hang on no matter what ... well I have learned with age ... hang on to the dream and desire, not the workout or diet. Work the program don't let the program work you.

Keep at it ... :D