PDA

View Full Version : Buying a weight bench

LateStart
01-21-2003, 01:57 PM
Hi. I want to get serious about lifting and buy a bench. Anyone have some good leads online to order one. I don't think I can fit it in the car and I don't have the muscles to carry it yet :)

MiloMan
01-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by LateStart
Hi. I want to get serious about lifting and buy a bench. Anyone have some good leads online to order one. I don't think I can fit it in the car and I don't have the muscles to carry it yet :)
Where do you live (city/state)? What sort of $$$ do you have budgeted for equipment?

I'm one of those cave men that always recommend buying:

1. A power rack
2. An adjustable flat/incline bench
3. A 300lb Olympic weight set

All of which will set you back about $500-600 (depending which rack and bench). One place to start is www.newyorkbarbells.com but buy the weight set locally to save on shipping (that iron costs a bunch to ship).

LateStart
01-22-2003, 02:13 PM
Thanks - looks like a good place to start. I'm in PA so it's not to far either. Was thinking of spending $150-$200

drew_bledsoe
01-22-2003, 03:17 PM
if u buy it at a store, it comes in a box and u assemble it at home.

sledgehammer956
01-23-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by LateStart
Hi. I want to get serious about lifting and buy a bench. Anyone have some good leads online to order one. I don't think I can fit it in the car and I don't have the muscles to carry it yet :) I'd search the sporting goods stores before I would buy online. I bought a nice squat rack that listed for $299.99 on clearance for $130.00. I put it together with a few wrenches and a couple of beers.

gainzz26
09-18-2014, 05:52 AM
looking to buy a bench for my home(with rack). i like to do incline presses as well as flat, i see a lot where only the back pad is adjustable, does anybody know of any that adjust to decline with the seat too? at an affordable price?

hmmmm16417
09-18-2014, 05:54 AM
CRAIGSLIST!!!!!!

i picked up an adjustable olympic bench AND a power rack/ cage for $150 total. only had to drive 1.5 hrs to pick it up

can usually get weights cheap too! i picked up a 300 lb set for $75

but its addicting LOL now I have over 2500 lbs of plates, several bars , benches, machines and cable crossover LMAO

ajdahlheimer
09-18-2014, 05:57 AM
looking to buy a bench for my home. i like to do incline presses as well as flat, i see a lot where only the back pad is adjustable, does anybody know of any that adjust to decline with the seat too? at an affordable price?

This is the one I upgraded to a couple years ago (except mine also came with a curling station attachment). I have had good luck with Gold's Gym stuff. My last Gold's Gym bench lasted me 15 years and now one of my buddies is using it in his basement.

This particular one can do incline, decline, flat, and also can adjust to completely vertical for military/overhead presses.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-XR-10.1-Olympic-Weight-Bench/17164461

HeavyBlueDevil
09-18-2014, 05:58 AM
craigslist

gainzz26
09-18-2014, 06:20 AM
This is the one I upgraded to a couple years ago (except mine also came with a curling station attachment). I have had good luck with Gold's Gym stuff. My last Gold's Gym bench lasted me 15 years and now one of my buddies is using it in his basement.

This particular one can do incline, decline, flat, and also can adjust to completely vertical for military/overhead presses.

cool,thx man!

gainzz26
09-18-2014, 06:31 AM

the seat doesnt adjust tho =[ how does that work for u doing incline?

ajdahlheimer
09-18-2014, 06:44 AM
the seat doesnt adjust tho =[ how does that work for u doing incline?

What do you mean the seat doesn't adjust? Do you mean the angle of the butt-pad? No that doesn't adjust, but it's never been an issue. The way the seat slides up and down the base bar is very slick for converting from a flat bench to an upright bench.

Here's vid of me incline benching on that bench.

As you can see, it can handle some weight.

5doKP_5YJDY