PDA

View Full Version : Pork?

Axe
01-21-2003, 12:22 PM
I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere on the value of pork....

Here's the scoop...Where I live, I can get pork for $1/lb. Now at that price, I can afford to eat pork 24/7 however, is it "The other white meat"? or should I avoid it and cough the $$ for chicken breasts?

institutional
01-21-2003, 12:26 PM
for $1 a pound its prolly a fattty nasty piece of meat. i stay away from pork all around. but if its a lean cut of pork, im sure its ok, and a good protein source. but i prefer beef, chicken, turkey, venison, and fish.

MagicMel
01-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Here's an example from my Calorie King listing:

Pork, fresh, loin, blade (chops or roasts), bone-in, lean only, raw

1lb

Calories = 713
Carbs = 0
Fat = 37.2g
Fiber = 0
Protein = 87.2g

Minotaur
01-21-2003, 12:46 PM
You can usually tell from looking at a piece of pork if it's fatty. Pork fat tends to surround the muscle, not marble it like beef. However, one of the fattier pork cuts is the shoulder, or butt (no not that butt). That's usually marbles and is what sausage is made from.

Eye2_Man
01-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Man, it's hard to beat Johnsonville Hot Italian sausage in spaghetti sauce. Or brats boiled in beer and then put on the grill.

MiloMan
01-21-2003, 01:00 PM
I love pork, and eat quite a bit of it (pork fat - another thing you can do when you have a long bike commute every day). Greasy fried bacon (not that crispy burnt stuff), sausages, it's all good. Just match your intake to your cardio level.

Axe
01-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Institutional...

I hear ya, but this is different. I pick the pig out live and send it to the butcher. By the time all is said and done, it costs me $1/lb. total...that includes all the hams, bacon, chops, etc., etc....

So if I'm to understand this right, and understanding that pork in general isn't marbled with fat like some beef is...if I cut the fat from around the edges, and use weight as my guide, I should be ok, right?

TwoWalks
01-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Axe, comparing a Pork Chop to Chicken Breast of 1 cup:

Pork Chop - 336 calories - 20g fat - 37g protien
chiken breast: 320 cal - 18g fat - 37g protien

Axe
01-21-2003, 02:34 PM
hhmmm...pretty close. And for nearly a quarter of the price, I can adjust amounts to suit.

Thanks TwoWalks!

Axe
01-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Hey MiloMan...get this...my wife bought me a German Shephard 2 years ago, thinking that it would get me out jogging to excersize the dog.....

Well, now the dog is just as out of shape as I am!

Bring on the sausage and cardio! :)

MiloMan
01-21-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Axe
Hey MiloMan...get this...my wife bought me a German Shephard 2 years ago, thinking that it would get me out jogging to excersize the dog.....

Well, now the dog is just as out of shape as I am!

Bring on the sausage and cardio! :)
Dogs like (you might say love) sausage too! Compared to dry dog food, a greasy pork sausage has to be heavenly.

p.s. I get my half-hog (and a quarter cow) once a year, though not at the same time.

MiloMan
01-21-2003, 03:21 PM
I suppose if you got a recumbent exercise bike, you could eat pork while you pedalled.

MiloMan
01-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by TwoWalks
Axe, comparing a Pork Chop to Chicken Breast of 1 cup:

Pork Chop - 336 calories - 20g fat - 37g protien
Chicken breast: 320 cal - 18g fat - 37g protien

And there is a lot more flavor with the pork (in my opinion) than there is with a "yardbird".

IPR
01-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Okay, heres the good news, pork fat (lard) is infact 47% monounsaturated fat :D

Breakdown of Lard fat:

41% saturated
47% monounsaturated
11% omega-6
1% omega-3

Chicken fat is

37% saturated
47% monounsaturated
21% omega-6
1% omega-3

Hope this helps.

Of course if you were on keto, pork is GREAT :D

Macattack
01-21-2003, 07:57 PM
I had no idea, i avoid pork as much as i do dog meat, thought it was bad, very interesting thanks guys.....

MiloMan
01-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Macattack
I had no idea, i avoid pork as much as i do dog meat, thought it was bad, very interesting thanks guys.....
I had dog meat on occasion, bought at street vendors in the Olongapo area. It wasn't half bad!

sledgehammer956
01-22-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
Man, it's hard to beat Johnsonville Hot Italian sausage in spaghetti sauce. Or brats boiled in beer and then put on the grill. Man, I'm getting hungry! you must be a former Wisconsinite. It's only supposed to be a high of 8 today but I think the grill is getting lit tonight!

Axe
01-22-2003, 05:53 AM
HAHAHA..Sledge...

We have an electric BBQ in the kitchen. They are quite inexpensive and I believe grilled food is better for you because the excess fat drips away.

Postwood
01-22-2003, 07:26 AM
Unlike beef, piggies don't store their fat inside their muscles, so if you get the fat trimmed off the outside, you've got some great lean meat.

But, ooh, pigfat....Mmmmm.

Macattack
01-22-2003, 04:52 PM
You guys smelt it and i delt it:)

Axe
01-22-2003, 05:09 PM
LOL...Mac, that is a sweet thing!

Milo...here in Southern Ontarion, Canada, we can buy horse meat in Hamilton....

Did you know that Canada is the number 1 exporter of horse meat in the world?

I'd love to see the protein stats on that!

MiloMan
01-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Axe

No, I did not know that. Horse isn't bad either, and it is very lean (what I had was anyway). It was legal in New Jersey back when I lived in New York for a couple of years.

No meat is horrible (though mutton might be nominated for that dubious distinction), which is fortunate, since so many animals are made out of it! Even monkey meat is all right.

Charger
01-22-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Axe

I am not sure but the idea of eating horse just isn't right.
Axe, I am a ex butcher, I actually enjoyed it but it didn't pay the bills. Anyway, IMHO Pork is a excellant value and good for you. Not so sure that is the case about cured meat such as bacon and ham but the loins and uncured hams are great. If you have it processed have your butcher remove as much fat as possible and put the shoulders into sausage or ground pork. You may even want to try side pork,same as bacon with out the cure. I enjoy bacon much more. I used to make it myself along with a variety of cured meats and ground smoked products.

Axe
01-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Hey Charger...as far as the 'cure' goes, should we be wary because of the nitrates and nitrites? or is it something else?

I'm asking because, I was told that the curing is mostly salt (saline)injections....

Charger
01-22-2003, 07:42 PM
It's the salt, cure is mostly a salt and water mix. I have mixed feeling myself. I don't think anything in moderation is bad for you. I just wouldn't recommend to much of a good thing. Well except for you know :eek:

TampaIronMan
01-22-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
Man, it's hard to beat Johnsonville Hot Italian sausage in spaghetti sauce. Or brats boiled in beer and then put on the grill. Hey, that my SuperBowl meal, right down to the tee.

The one reason I will never EVER be ripped: I love beer, brats, and cheese on a semi-regular basis!

GO BUCS!

Axe
12-08-2003, 08:23 AM
sorry for this post...I just thought this was a great thread to bring back.....

On another note....we just picked up another hog on saturday, so there's boat loads of pork in the freezer for winter. And on a par with chicken (pork chop=chicken breast) you simply can't beat the price!

:)

Hibiscus09
12-08-2003, 08:52 AM
The only pork I eat lately is the 97% lean pork roasts that I buy at the grocery store. :) I do make excellent pork chops & brown rice, though, for my family.

kmax
12-08-2003, 04:39 PM
I'm just happy that chicken prices appear to finally be coming down. I tried a Buffalo burger last week, I thought it was very good. Just to expensive at $8.00 / lb.