PDA

View Full Version : What do you lsiten to...

Gator
01-21-2003, 12:29 PM
when yer in the gym/home working out ???

I myself am a metal man from the Big 80's..LOL
Got the old Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, etc..
Now thats called classic rock..
Jeeez Im old ! LOL

Gator

Fudog1138
01-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Pretty much the same. Ozzy, Aerosmith, Enya (J/K) ect... Some newer stuff by Kid Rock and the like.

giantfan43
01-21-2003, 12:42 PM
When I lift, I listen to whatever crap they have on the radio there .. somedays its good, somedays its bad .. when I do cardio, I plug in the headphones and listen to 70's and 80's rock .. aerosmith, bruce springsteen, allman bros, marshall tucker, led zeppelin, pink floyd and a favorite of mine, southside johnny and the asbury jukes .. I'm old !

mntbikedude
01-21-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Gator
when yer in the gym/home working out ???

I myself am a metal man from the Big 80's..LOL
Got the old Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, etc..
Now thats called classic rock..
Jeeez Im old ! LOL

Gator

yeah well I listen to all that plus the true classic rock from the 60's and sometimes I like to listen to my disco collection ....shut up it has a good beat. And as of late I listen to some blink, greenday....I have a cd I mixed with marlynn manson doing a remix of sweet dreams, beastie boys and some eminem even though I wont let my kids listen to em.....but when you are angry he's got a few edited songs that work....

Eye2_Man
01-21-2003, 01:43 PM
Live Grateful Dead or some live JGB. I think 1983-1985 were the best years.

Gator
01-21-2003, 01:49 PM
Is that the Jay Geils Band ????
If so, I havent heard that name in years, except for on VH1 the Big 80's..LOL

Gator

Originally posted by Eye2_Man
Live Grateful Dead or some live JGB. I think 1983-1985 were the best years.

MiloMan
01-21-2003, 01:51 PM
When lifting?

Gregorian chant; it gets my mind focused and shuts out the modern world for a good caveman workout. It apparently puts some people to sleep, but I'd imagine that's because they don't understand any Latin.

My overall CD library is more eclectic, spanning Pink Floyd, Tschiakovsky, George Jones, Generation X, Nat King Cole, Dean, Frank Sinatra, Debussy, The Stranglers, Miles Davis, etc, but most of that's not lifting music (to me).

Eye2_Man
01-21-2003, 01:52 PM
I've heard of Jay Geils Band, but never heard any of the music.

JGB = Jerry Garcia Band

Do you have Starz on your television? Once in awhile they have a documentary called Grateful Dawg. It's pretty good. A little too mellow. But good once in awhile.

MagicMel
01-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Never heard of any music by J Geils Band?????

Angel Is The Centerfold
Love Stinks

I thought this was the Over Age 35 forum?

maxallen
01-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Y'all are going to think I'm some sort of weirdo geek, but when I wear headphones I listen to the radio -- the news on NPR. My workouts are at noon, when one of the local NPR stations has news from the BBC. It's interesting to hear the news & commentary from a different viewpoint other than the U.S. On another local NPR station they have an interview program, usually with people currently in the news, or entertainment figures. Somehow, listening to this helps me completely separate myself from my surroundings and the goings-on in the gym, and helps me ignore other people.

TwoWalks
01-21-2003, 03:58 PM
I listen too a bunch of grunting a groaning, now and then a gutteral scream while reaching for that last rep. The jingle of metal plates when I drop them to the floor ... and then a strange squishing sound ... finally realized that is the sound of sweaty fat turning loose from my bench.

Oh, were you talking about music: NONE :)

Gollum
01-21-2003, 05:31 PM
I like to listen to heavy stuff like Sepultura,old Metallica,Celtic Frost,Slayer,Bio-Hazard,Sick of it All and such.

My current favorite is a band called Hatebreed.

wspe
01-21-2003, 06:20 PM
def leppard godsmack ozzy bls chevelle bush ac/dc zepp

its all good..........

deadlift day..... godsmack ozzy and ac/dc only

DON"T REPENT: JUST STOP SINNIN!!!!!!!

plow-horse
01-21-2003, 08:28 PM
I saw Jay Geils Band with Deep Purple at the Orange Bowl a long time ago I think I had a good time donít remember for sure. When lifting POD, Rage Against the Machine , Audioslave stuff like that.

edster951
01-21-2003, 09:26 PM
I concentrate so much on my lifting, I wouldn't have a clue what they play at our gym.

But puddle of mud, she hates me, would get me going, If I heard it that is.

I'd use the chorus to psyche me up prior to lifting.

rjmacbay
01-21-2003, 09:30 PM
I must be very different. My favorites Cher (Believe) it has a great running beat, Toby Keith (The Ugly American), Eagles (The entire selection), Kenny G and Mozart. Like I said I have varied tastes.

sledgehammer956
01-22-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
Live Grateful Dead or some live JGB. I think 1983-1985 were the best years. It's great to see a fellow "Deadhead" on this board. I have a ton of GD bootlegs that I listen to. I also like Phil & Friends, Ratdog, Widespread Panic, Allman Bros, and Hot Tuna. Also a BIG Neil Young & Crazy Horse fan.

Hibiscus09
01-22-2003, 06:45 AM
I listen to Nelly, Will Smith, Missy Elliott, Eminem, Pink, Jennifer Lopez & the like when I'm lifting. I need a beat. :) When I'm not lifting I like all sorts of music.

tracyb555
01-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09
I listen to Nelly, Will Smith, Missy Elliott, Eminem, Pink, Jennifer Lopez & the like when I'm lifting. I need a beat. :) When I'm not lifting I like all sorts of music.

Hibiscus,

Your selection sounds like what I listen to when doing cardio, although I have those plus some 80's mixes thrown in (very eclectic mix). When lifting, I'll usually listen to whatever's on at the gym.

TrishB
01-22-2003, 09:06 PM
I just listen to country music......

Hibiscus09
01-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Tracy, I used to just listen while doing cardio because I really focus on what I'm doing when I'm lifting. Lately, I've just been staying plugged in so people don't talk to me while I'm lifting because I'm trying not to rest much between sets. :)

Trish, I just gave away 4 Kenny Chesney tickets! :) I like country too, but my daughter really wanted them & it's on Valentine's -- I prefer to go out to a nice dinner.

JEFF7322
01-22-2003, 09:29 PM
When training heavy I use BLACK SABBATH or other metal. I make a lot of mixed tapes from mp3s I download. Instrumental/soundtrack stuff too or mixes. I also use books on tape while doing the bike, treadmill so it goes by quicker. I'm usually plugged into my headphones so I can block out others talking while I train and sometimes I don't really like what they play on the p.a. at the gym.
-JEFF

JEFF7322
01-22-2003, 09:32 PM
When just playing something to listen to while at the computer or around the apartment I listen to fav soundtracks or relaxing type music. I can listen to all kinds but country really.
-JEFF

Homie
01-23-2003, 12:44 AM
I lift with my son so I give him my full attention while we're lifting together. Therefore we both suffer through the "classic rock" on the radio at our gym. If given a choice I listen to dance music or newer rock bands(Sevendust, Disturbed, Saliva etc.). Basically I listen to most of today's music...EXCEPT COUNTRY! I'm not much for living in the past, whether that be life, love or music.

TrishB
01-23-2003, 06:16 AM
Homie....you turn country on for about a week. I bet you end up liking it. It is not like the country music from years ago. :)

Jeff...you are the other hand, I doubt you would ever like it...lol. :D

JEFF7322
01-23-2003, 08:45 AM
LOL

MagicMel
01-23-2003, 08:55 AM
I used to think that I would never listen to country music. But, TrishB, like you suggested to Homie, I turned it on for a few days and now I'm hooked on it. Been listening to it for a few years now, and you're right, it's nothing like the country music of old.

Hibiscus, next time you have Kenny Chesney tickets to give away,
throw a couple my way please!

I also still listen to old classic rock of the 60's too. Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Beatles. Heck, I love playing the drum solo from In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida cranked up with my car windows open!

The Gym is a different story though. Can't plug in while lifting because my training buddy and I like to coax each other into the last few reps.

Cardio, however. Must have music with a beat on the elliptical trainer. I set up my MP3 player to alternate songs that range from 120rpm to 180rpm. First song is Start Me Up, Rolling Stones.
Last song is Once Bitten Twice Shy, Great White.
You get my beat?

Hibiscus09
01-23-2003, 09:24 AM
I want an MP3 player! My sweetie has one -- I gave it to him for Christmas!

I forgot to add, I like music when I'm cleaning too. Old Motown & the like. :)

MagicMel
01-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Hibiscus,

My wife gave me mine for Christmas!

It's only 2"x2"x1/2". RCA Kazoo, RD1000. It's really cool.

Hibiscus09
01-23-2003, 09:44 AM
Good! :) My husband really likes his a lot! He's a runner so I think he's really enjoying using it while he runs.

Homie
01-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by TrishB
Homie....you turn country on for about a week. I bet you end up liking it. It is not like the country music from years ago. :)
Trish I just spent a 3 day weekend helping my brother wire his new house. After listening to Chesney, Keith, McGraw, Dixie Chicks etc. I was praying for the times the air compressor would kick in and drown it out...LOL. Sorry but I don't see how anyone can listen to that and not scream, I would rather listen to gangster rap and I hate that too. I like my music to have a strong beat, something that gets into your soul and stays there. I also love classical, r&b, blues, some jazz etc.

kendo
01-23-2003, 12:00 PM
I'm more into UK Indie bands Coldplay, Sterophonics, New Order, Travis, Richard Ashcroft, U2, Supergrass, Feeder etc

US rock like Train, Creed, Chilli Peppers, Goo Goo Dolls, The Calling, Foo Fighters.

and who says I'm getting old..

TampaIronMan
01-23-2003, 12:15 PM
I listen to alternative stuff...the harder and faster, the better. I have been known to bring a little intensity to the gym, and I don't want some pansy music to break the spell. That being said, I have to brig my own to the gym...they seem to love to play pop crap.

Away from the gym, my tastes are a bit less severe...infact, most of the time while working, my friends Mr Beethoven, Mr Mozart and company help keep me calm.

phikappa
01-23-2003, 12:23 PM
I recently got an MP3 player and downloaded some old favorites onto it. One of my favs is "Never Say Never" by Romeo Void. I can't help but smile when I look at a girl at the gym and I hear the lyrics "I might like you better if we slept together...." That song has a great beat, too.

Brother Phil
01-23-2003, 04:37 PM
If I put anything other than blues on in our POS tape deck in our freezing gym, it'll blow up! But seriosly I was born with the blues and a bluesman I will stay.

tracyb555
01-23-2003, 06:50 PM
Hibiscus - in my gym's freeweight area, they play the music so loud that it drowns out whatever personal selections I might be listening too. However, by the cardio machines, it's so soft I can barely hear it. We don't get too many talkers at my gym (or maybe I have perfected the "don't talk to me - or else" look!)

I got an MP3 player for Christmas and I love it.

tracyb555
01-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by phikappa
I recently got an MP3 player and downloaded some old favorites onto it. One of my favs is "Never Say Never" by Romeo Void.

Haven't heard that one in awhile. I'll have to add it to my next mix.

TrishB
01-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by tracyb555
We don't get too many talkers at my gym (or maybe I have perfected the "don't talk to me - or else" look!)

LOL....I know I give those looks too! :D

kendo
01-24-2003, 06:44 AM
Do any of you guys use file sharing progs like kazaa or winmx to download mps's?

MagicMel
01-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Kendo,

I have used Morpheus for the longest time to download MP3's. It works really well for me, but then again I have an EXTREMELY high speed internet access at work. (I own the business).

JEFF7322
01-24-2003, 08:57 AM
MORPHEUS here.
-JEFF

Axe
01-24-2003, 10:51 AM
KazaA here!

Homie
01-24-2003, 11:01 AM
WinMx, I've never had a problem finding anything with it.

TrishB
01-24-2003, 11:11 AM
I use Morpheus...never a problem. But I will check into the other ones mentioned.

MiloMan
01-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by kendo
Do any of you guys use file sharing progs like kazaa or winmx to download mps's?
I sometimes use Kazaa Lite (i.e. the modified version, without Kazaa's usual spyware), but only to find old tunes that are out of print or otherwise not available.

Axe
01-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Hey MiloMan, I use a program called Diet KazaA that removes all spyware and adware and speeds up the whole thing considerably. You can tweak it all you want.....

you can check it out here http://www.dietk.com/

Axe
01-24-2003, 01:43 PM
Here's an interesting observation....

I just did a search on KazaA for Bill Phillips and came up with about 20 results

Same search on WinMx - 0 results.....