PDA

View Full Version : About cardio routine

Minotaur
01-20-2003, 09:01 AM
Don't you just hate people that use shortcuts to write? :D

Anyhoo... I recently started back on doing cardio. Two reasons I started... 1. I can; that is, I feel so much better being on the hormone replacements that I'm on. My ability to do cardio is returning, and... 2. I've become a fata** that needs cardio!

What I've been doing is 25 minutes on the recumbent bike (works out to 5 miles @14-15mph) at 80-85% of thr, which is 140-150 bpm. I work up a sweat, and breathe deeply, but not suck wind. No gasping or discomfort. In fact, it feels almost too easy. I know the bike is accurate because I've timed my hr myself.

Question is... is this enough 4-5x/week to help lose some fat? Or do I need to go BAM! and kick it up a notch?

MiloMan
01-20-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Minotaur
I've timed my hr myself.

Question is... is this enough 4-5x/week to help lose some fat? Or do I need to go BAM! and kick it up a notch?
With your fingers, or a good heart rate monitor?

That's plenty, just be patient. You didn't get the fat overnight, don't expect it to go away overnight either. If you were training to be a bicycle racer, then it'd be different HR range you'd want - but you're not, so it isn't.

Fudog1138
01-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Bump on the patience. For some variety you may want to try the treadmill for some brisk walking or jogging just to mix it up. If it wasn't so damn cold out (10 farenheit today in Detroit) then sprints would be a good choice as well.

Rome was neither built nore destroyed in a day.

Minotaur
01-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by MiloMan
With your fingers, or a good heart rate monitor?

With fingers, while I was pedaling and the time counting. The number I calculated was withing a couple of beats of what the bike's monitor calculated (you hold the grips for a bit and then it displays the hr).

Originally posted by MiloMan
That's plenty, just be patient. You didn't get the fat overnight, don't expect it to go away overnight either.

Oh no, I'm not expecting miracles or a fasttrack. I was just concerned that I might not be doing enough. I'm glad to know I'm good to go.

Minotaur
01-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Fudog1138
For some variety you may want to try the treadmill for some brisk walking or jogging just to mix it up.

Oh yeah... I do that too. I stick with one or the other for a while, then I'll switch.

MiloMan
01-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Minotaur
With fingers, while I was pedaling and the time counting. The number I calculated was withing a couple of beats of what the bike's monitor calculated (you hold the grips for a bit and then it displays the hr).
OK, good, just checking.

As a related anecdote, in another forum, someone said that during their cardio, though they didn't feel too stressed, they (fingertip) measured their HR - at 240bpm! Even though the poster was about 20 years old, 240bpm would probably only happen during a long (and losing) fight for your life with a bear or something. He must have been getting a "double thump" from that big vein in the thumb.

Fudog1138
01-20-2003, 01:31 PM
240 bpm! Good Lord! Yah I guess a bear or a great white maybe. Anna Nicole Smith definatley.

Gator
01-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Is having too much flax seed and running to the can considered cardio ?? LOL

Gator

MagicMel
01-21-2003, 09:25 AM
Good one, Gator!!!!

But seriously, if the cardio machines that you use have an Interval Training setting on it, use it. It will burn fat a little quicker.

TrishB
01-21-2003, 02:09 PM
I am not sure about the theory that says that fat burning range is 65-75% of THR, and cardio range is 75-85%.
If you stay in the lower range you are suppose to burn more fat and less muscle....while the opposite is true with the upper range.

Every now and then I try to stay in the fat burning range, but it is not easy to do. Or if I am there, I don't feel like I am getting anything out of it.

GLAlexander
01-21-2003, 05:24 PM
Trish B

I read somewhere or may have even heard on a Bill Phillips tape that the 65-75% burning more fat than the 75%-85% range was not accurate. I know for me I need to have a workout in 70%-87% range for me to feel mentally good about it. I just couldn't walk slow enough to stay in the lower ranges.

TrishB
01-21-2003, 05:47 PM
You are right about mentally needing to get the HR up to feel good about a workout. I am usually around 80% for the full workout....unless I am doing HIT. Then I get the spike up to 90-95% for brief 30 sec intervals. That is when it feels like death is approaching quickly. :)

GLAlexander
01-21-2003, 07:21 PM
I am attempting to get to 90% for my last high point at tomorrow's cardio session.

Minotaur
01-21-2003, 07:26 PM
I've been hovering around 85% for the past week that I've started back doing cardio. I tell myself to slow it down, but I find myself cranking away. I'll know in a couple of weeks if it's working.

TrishB
01-21-2003, 07:43 PM
If you are doing that 4-5x week, you will see results! :)

rjmacbay
01-21-2003, 09:25 PM
I don't feel like I am getting anything accomplished at the 75 to 80% range. When that is calc. out I should be at 140 bpm. During my carido I do 150 to 160 for about 20 and it feels like a workout, this maybe wrong but feels right.

Minotaur
01-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by TrishB
If you are doing that 4-5x week, you will see results! :)

Gosh, I hope so! :) 85% for me is about 148 bpm. That's not uncomfortable, but I do feel like I'm working.

I can see something happening already. My gut is not protruding as much, my pants are looser, and a friend at work commented that I'm losing my gut. :)

TrishB
01-22-2003, 03:10 PM
It is always a great feeling when other people notice. :)

GLAlexander
01-22-2003, 04:19 PM
My cardio workout today ranged between 70-89% MHR. The majority of the workout was in the 75-80% range but the highpoints were in the mid 80's with the last one being 89%. For me that is a heart rate of 161. At 161 the pain was exquisite, but it was a good kind of pain.

I couldn't imagine what it would feel like at a MHR of 95% which would be about 172 for me. I know I have to go a lot faster these days to get my heart rate up that high :D

TrishB
01-22-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by GLAlexander
My cardio workout today ranged between 70-89% MHR. The majority of the workout was in the 75-80% range but the highpoints were in the mid 80's with the last one being 89%. For me that is a heart rate of 161. At 161 the pain was exquisite, but it was a good kind of pain.

GL....you should not have "pain" during a cardio workout.
You might feel like dying because you can hardly breathe and your whole body is ready to collapse. That kind of pain is ok. :)

Hopefully that is the kind of pain you were referring to.

Do not continue if you are having any chest pain at all.

OK...that is just the nurse in me giving my lecture for the nite. :)

GLAlexander
01-22-2003, 06:49 PM
Trish

Thanks for your concern. It was the I think I am going collapse pain.