PDA

View Full Version : Challenge IPR - The Keto Way

IPR
01-19-2003, 04:31 PM
As a number of you are doing keto, and I am giving alot of rather poor advice, I thought I should post my challenge even though its technically already finished (well almost, a little bit more I want to lose).

Anyway here goes:

On 22 Oct 2002, I had let my bulk get uncontrolled, and decided to cut. Having read alot about keto I decided it was for me (the basic thinking behind it made sense from a life style poiint of view).

Here is my before photo (yuck )

IPR
01-19-2003, 04:35 PM
I followed the Fitnessmans version of keto for the 3 months.

Cals were 14 x body weight (not lean weight), although I wasn't so strict on the cals I was careful on the carbs.

Starting weight 82kg
Now weight 78.5kg

Starting bf% ?
Now bf% no idea, guess 10-12%

This pic was taken this morning just after I dragged myself out of bed at 6:00am.

I am abit bloated, retaining water in this pic following the weekend carbs.

I still have a bit more to go, you can see the little bit of "puppy" fat I have under my belly button ...... its history in 3 weeks :)

I will do some proper alround pics in a few weeks time.

IPR
01-19-2003, 04:39 PM
I know fit is suffering now, so I hope this isn' inappropriate, but here is what its all about.

The influence of Pumping Iron

Gollum
01-19-2003, 05:20 PM
Wow..that's some transformation in only three months.Abs are looking outrageous.Where is this "puppy fat" that you speak of? :D

I have been bulking now for some time.I am going to begin a cutting program either April or May 1st,depending on where I'm at weight-wise.Everyone seems to be doing very well with this keto thing.I really dont know anything about it.I will have to start doing some reading.Carbs always make me blow up like a balloon so this keto thing might be for me.

Great work,IPR.I think your daughter has you beat though with the double bi ;)

edster951
01-19-2003, 10:20 PM
excellent work.

Your totally different to how I envisaged you being.

Keep it up.

gbat
01-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Looking good, IPR! Inspiring to me, I'm on the same track as you know.

Gotta question. Been calculating my days intake at Fitday.com. Hitting my numbers is pretty hard. I can keep the carbs down but my 306 pound body weight makes for some pretty high marks to reach for calories, fat and protein. 14x306=4284 calories. 1gram per pound = 306 grams protein, near same for fat. I have getting around 230 grams fat and protein and 3200 cals average.

Ya think I should up my eating to the 4284 cal, 306 grams protein, 300 grams fat mark? Or is this doing me ok? I certainly feel full and am not weak but I don't want to rob my muscles.

IPR
01-20-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by edster951
excellent work.

Your totally different to how I envisaged you being.

Keep it up.

Totally different? How did you envision me :confused: :D

edster951
01-20-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by IPR

Totally different? How did you envision me :confused: :D
Dunno...your not how I imagined. No offence intended.

You sometimes can hear someone, and then see them, they are totally different. Same with you. Not sure how I saw you, but different.

Better shut up while I'm still ahead. Looking good anyway. Can't wait till I look like that.

IPR
01-20-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by icequeen
I couldn't get the first picture to come up, but you look pretty lean in the second. Good work!

Thanks, although I had to take the pic myself :( :D

IPR
01-20-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Gollum
Great work,IPR.I think your daughter has you beat though with the double bi ;)

Thanks.

So does she. ;)

IPR
01-20-2003, 01:43 AM
Dunno...your not how I imagined. No offence intended.

You sometimes can hear someone, and then see them, they are totally different. Same with you. Not sure how I saw you, but different.

Better shut up while I'm still ahead. Looking good anyway.

Ed, absolutely no offense taken :D

I was curious as well about how you had envisioned me. I know what you mean, there are many people I also have images of, but have no idea what they really looked like. I'm sure I'll be surprised when I do see them for real.

I thought it only fair that I should show myself considering I'm going on so much about keto and how good its is for fat loss.

My aim from now is to increase my arm size. Currently a weedy 14.75inch, am hoping for 15"+ following my GVT cycle.

Can't wait till I look like that.

LMAO. You are gonna look MUCH better than this :)

edster951
01-20-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by IPR
Ed, absolutely no offense taken :D

My aim from now is to increase my arm size. Currently a weedy 14.75inch, am hoping for 15"+ following my GVT cycle.
I've got my arms from 14in last year to 16.25in this week. Quite pleased with that increase.

My full stats can be seen in my Challenge thread.

IPR
01-20-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by gbat
Looking good, IPR! Inspiring to me, I'm on the same track as you know.

Gotta question. Been calculating my days intake at Fitday.com. Hitting my numbers is pretty hard. I can keep the carbs down but my 306 pound body weight makes for some pretty high marks to reach for calories, fat and protein. 14x306=4284 calories. 1gram per pound = 306 grams protein, near same for fat. I have getting around 230 grams fat and protein and 3200 cals average.

Ya think I should up my eating to the 4284 cal, 306 grams protein, 300 grams fat mark? Or is this doing me ok? I certainly feel full and am not weak but I don't want to rob my muscles.

Thanks gbat.

On the cal level, one approach and one I tend to agree with, is to simply eat until you are satisfied. That means comfortable, not bloated. For you I would recommend this. On the protein front, you need to ensure a minimum of 150g initially, or about 0.8 or 0.9g per lb of body weight whichever is higher. For you 230g is about 0.75g which I think should be okay for you.

Only in the first 3 weeks is there a danger of muscle really being used for protein fuel, after that the danger drops alot and at 0.75 I think you will be fine.

How is the fat loss progressing? If the drop is not too quick, say 1-2lbs per week, and you aren't experiencing any hunger problems I say carry on with whats working. As your body fat drops, so will the need for abit more care will increase.

LOL, I even think my wife is becoming curious about keto :D you know how it is though, you can't TELL her, she must discover it for herself ;)

IPR
01-20-2003, 02:02 AM
I've got my arms from 14in last year to 16.25in this week. Quite pleased with that increase.

My full stats can be seen in my Challenge thread.

Ed, I've seen them and am very envious:(

I've only been lifting 9 months now, with a starting arm size of 12.75inch and got the 2" during my uncontrolled bulk. I'm happy for it to take longer now and stay relatively lean doing it. I'm starting to see some progress and will start a keto style bulk from mid-Feb.

With keto, I think those guns of yours will remain the size they are or increase abit whilst cutting :D

kendo
01-20-2003, 04:54 AM
Really impressed with your transformation IPR.

From the amount of weight reduction relative to the bodyfat composition reduced there has to be significant muscle gain there too. I think you should put your serious head on and be more accurate with your food measurements and seriously consider a natural contest. Get a date and put your head down. I'm following the same plan and hopefully too will get good rewards from this new keto lifestyle.

I keep a photo library of regular members in here so I can relate to everyone - helps keep a reference and mental picture of those submitting and my IPR record has been updated!

Gator
01-20-2003, 05:07 AM
Way to rock IPR !!!!!
Lookin good..

Gator

little lats
01-20-2003, 02:29 PM
Good JOB!!

IPR
01-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Thanks mate :)

Although I think you're being kind :D

On the cals front, I am now using fitday to check my cals. I have noticed that with my reduced bf, leptin levels are becoming an issue, and so timed refeeds above maintenance level have become important.

Contest, wow.... not even considering that. I am just enjoying this way of life so much I don't need anything else at present. My current plan will run a few more weeks, up to 7th Feb, then I will raise cals during the weekdays to maintenance level with carb-ups at or just above as well.

I go on holiday to UK to visit my family from 20 Feb (will try to stay on keto during this but......) and after I return I am goping to raise weekday keto cals to 18 x body weight and try and add mass whilst staying pretty lean.

Looking forward to seeing your progress, I think its going to work out great for you :D

IPR
01-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys :)

TrishB
01-20-2003, 04:25 PM
IPR....I just found your thread. I am so impressed. You got yourself a sixpack, honey!!!
I know it is alot more than just keto that got you to this point, but by posting those pics you really gave me alot more motivation to stick with keto. :) And to listen to you more. ;)

And I have read every single post on the keto thread, you have never given poor advice. You just got yourself some poor students....but we is learning. :D

Great work IPR!

And your little one is precious!

tracyb555
01-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Doing great IPR! What a great inspiration for the rest of us to stick with our challenges!

IPR
01-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Thanks Trish :D To be honest, keto has been the big thing for me. Plus the experience and advice from those here such as Fit, Chi, Richie and others has been priceless. I am still learning and adjusting things as my goals move forward. As I said before, this really does work :D

Tracy, you are a great motivator. Everyone is is making great strides forward in reaching their goals, in no small part thanks to you :D

Oh and one more pic of my little girl. She isn't sure if she wants to be a bber or ballerina, and insisted I post this pic as well :D

tracyb555
01-20-2003, 10:05 PM
Your daughter is adorable! Nice to see that you've had such an influence on her (bodybuilding that is, have yet to see evidence of your talents as a ballerina!).

Gollum
01-21-2003, 05:16 AM
What does she call that pose?Is that the tippy toe lat spread?

:D

IPR
01-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Gollum
What does she call that pose?Is that the tippy toe lat spread?

:D

Don't know where she up with that from. But there is a part in Pumping Iron at the begining where Arnold is being taught to pose by a ballerina........maybe she can do both :D

I'd like to see Ronnie Coelman try it though :D

Original Poster
01-21-2003, 04:07 PM
IPR, my keto bro. You are an inspiration to us all. Your hard work surely shows and you should be proud as hell.

Your daughter is gourgous IMO, I have two of my own (6.5 and 8yrs old)

PEACE

Edster, I figgered out who you look like.

I'm not sure if you've have ever seen the movie, but you look like a grown-up version of Stiffler from the movie American Pie. A bigger badder version, of course ;). Great work too edster.

PEACE ALL

IPR
01-21-2003, 04:27 PM
And thanks to the advice from you, plus your never ending fight against the dark forces of the carb-side :D