PDA

View Full Version : Cable Crossovers any Good?

GLAlexander
01-19-2003, 04:52 PM
My gym just got a cable crossover machine this week, and I considering using it? Is it a compound movement or more of an isolation one? I guess my initial thoughts were that it would be similar to flys. Does anyone use it and have good success with it?

edster951
01-19-2003, 05:05 PM
I used one for the first time today, and I like it.

You feel really strong using it, and the difference between just doing bench and cross overs, is the tension stays on with the flye with cables, where as with db's they get lighter as you get higher and go above the shoulders.

As I said, I like it and will use more often for chest and bi's.

Macattack
01-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Heck yes if its available when i do chest and its part of my routine, i like to use it after incline bench, it stretchs you out really good if you have the wide one, I go high then low and you can also do bicep curls on it.

Also you can do a Fly movement on it, if it has the low cable attachment you can do flat bench flys or incline also....

GLAlexander
01-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback I think I will speak to our exercise pro on Tuesday to see what exercises I could do.

Charger
01-19-2003, 07:01 PM
There all good, you'll like cables. Great for isolation movements.

giantfan43
01-20-2003, 07:45 AM
my .02 ... I use it generally as a finishing move for chest .. sometimes low crossovers, sometimes high .. I think its great .. I also switch it off with the pec deck ..

I think that its great for cable curls, especially high ones which I really like to do ..

Minotaur
01-20-2003, 08:30 AM
I use it for things other than working my chest. When I do chest with it, I wind up killing my elbows. Must be the way I grab the handle.

I use it for biceps... Set the pulley at about shoulder height. Grab a handle in each hand and curl the handle towards your shoulders.

Triceps crossovers... I got this one from Men's Health (looking around and ducking :D): Set the pulleys high. Grab the left handle in your right hand, and right handle in your left hand. Your hands should be crossed over your chest. Pull down and away from your body. It's basically a double reverse pulldown (really!)

maxallen
01-20-2003, 08:56 AM
I also use the cable crossover machine as a finishing move for chest. True, it does give you a good stretch if you do a full-range crossover, but I prefer to do only the last 1/2 or maybe even the last 1/3 of the movement to really put the squeeze on the inner part of the pecs. It is different from the pec dec machine or flys, in that you can easily concentrate on the upper or lower part of the pecs by holding the cables higher or lower.

I also use it to do "cross pulls" (as we called them when I was a gymnast), where you hold the handles straight out to the side (like a gymnast doing an iron cross on the rings), and pull them straight down to your side instead of crossing over in front of you.

Finally, when I had elbow tendonitis last year, cable curls on the crossover machine were the only biceps excercise that I could do without pain in my elbows. For some strange reason, those types of curls did not put much strain on the tendons, so they were the only biceps excercises that I did for 6-8 weeks while the tendonitis healed. It looks kind of funny, standing there more-or-less doing double biceps poses, but it's great for the last bit of pump before heading to the locker room.

Off the subject here: When I click my profile and that of several other members, it says we're all born on December 31, 1969! When I go to edit my profile it has the correct birthday (which is not 12/31/69). Me confused.

Fudog1138
01-20-2003, 09:01 AM
The good thing about cable crossovers is the amount of isolation to the pecs. While there not a mass building excercise they do a good job hitting the pecs. Try them on a bench . Set the lower pulley's up. When you bring the weight up cross your hands in front of each other making an X with your wrists. Your pecs will sceam and hate you for it, just tell em wah.

Minotaur
01-20-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by maxallen
I also use it to do "cross pulls" (as we called them when I was a gymnast), where you hold the handles straight out to the side (like a gymnast doing an iron cross on the rings), and pull them straight down to your side instead of crossing over in front of you.

That sounds good... just what does that movement work? (I'm experiencing a little brainfog.) My guess is just about everything upper body.

maxallen
01-20-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Minotaur
That sounds good... just what does that movement work? (I'm experiencing a little brainfog.) My guess is just about everything upper body.

It seems to primarily (perhap surprisingly) work the entire chest, but I think you're right about the whole upper body, too. It seems like my whole upper body, from my abs to my arms, is tensed up while doing it. It's a variation of an excercise that I did as a teenager while training to do an iron cross. We didn't have cable crossover machines, but we would get in a cross position on the rings with a coach supporting us from below, then pull up and lower back down to cross position - and repeat over and over. When you see gymnasts on TV doing an iron cross, often you can see the striations in their shoulders and chest.

Minotaur
01-20-2003, 09:45 AM
It sounds good. I'm going to try it. My upper body strength is pitiful. I fancy myself being in some action situation where I have to hoist myself up and over something, like a rock ledge or cliff, or even flinging my legs over a fence or barricade.

It would be more like SPLAT!

Yep, definitely need to work the upper body more.