PDA

View Full Version : Body sculpting - Body Building

TwoWalks
01-19-2003, 10:30 AM
I am 57 years old and not dumb, so I have no illusions of looking like Arnold or flex wheeler. When I started working out I classified myself as a body sculptor. Now with progress of time I have decided a few things in my own mind and view:

There are Auto body shops and there are Auto customizing shops:

Body sculptors are Auto body shops, they take wrecks and make them look better.

Body builders are Auto customizing shops, they take old bodies and reshape them to look different.

Body scultors, want to look good in the gym

Body builders are in the gym to look good.

Body scultors, want a workout to follow so that they look good

Body Builders are Test dummies that take a workout idea and see what the results are, making improvements as they go along.

Body sculptors, want designer clothing that looks good while they are in the gym

Body Builders want to make sweat clothes look good while they are in them.

Body sculptors want to look good while sweating in the gym

Body builders want to sweat in the gym to look good.

Yep, I came, I saw and now - I am a body builder :D

I no longer want to look like someone else, I want someone else to want to look like me.

I don't want to look strong, I want to be strong

I don't want to look big, I want to be big

I dont want to look cool, I want to be cool

I don't want to look like you, I want to look like me ... I just want me to look better than me last year, last month or last week, because:

I AM A BODYBUILDER

edster951
01-19-2003, 11:19 AM
nice one twowalks...

Gollum
01-19-2003, 11:34 AM
There was a time when I wouldnt use the word "bodybuilder" to describe myself.Especially in my business,that word would raise some eyebrows.To some folks that word means steroids,vanity or other negatives.

I dont feel that way anymore.Now,if someone asks what I do I dont say..

"I try to stay in shape"

Or...

"I workout when I can"

I say..

"I'm a bodybuilder.It's what I do,it's what I am"

Bravo,TwoWalks.Excellent post,bro.

MiloMan
01-19-2003, 01:45 PM
On the occasion someone asks me to label myself, re: pumping iron, I usually say "half powerlifter/ half bodybuilder" but if narrowed further, I'd probably say "powerlifter", but that isn't technically 100% true.

I don't compete, nor do I follow a powerlifting routine, but I do lift for strength, first and foremost. Appearance is a side effect, and a side benefit, but not the main priority.

I measure my progress by the poundages I lift, not with a tape measure and a subjective eye.

The problem with a non-quantifiable standard (appearance) is that your progress depends on who sees it, and when they see it, and how they perceive it. Even if you consider only your own opinion important, take a moment think about how your mood can affect your perception of what you see when you look in the mirror.

When you use an unforgiving standard, like poundages, the numbers are either there, or they aren't. You might "feel weak today", but if you get the poundage up, then you aren't weak today.

Quantifiable is better than subjective. I'm not saying that you should disregard the way you look, but don't make it the main focus of your life. Lift for strength, eat right, live healthy, and the looks will happen anyway.

TwoWalks
01-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Hey Milo, my problem is this: I lived a really hard life, I lived through a dozen motorcycle wrecks, a huge number of fights. I have broken one knee cap three times and the other twice. I spent a year in a hospital with my back in traction and the list goes on and on. For long term durability, I do not lift one pound more than it takes to get the job done. I know I can lift far more than I do, I just don't want to do it because I know if a tendon goes, so do I. :D all I have to go by is how I look. Now 30 years ago, would have been a different story, I use to lift the front of my dads VW for warm-ups :)

Minotaur
01-19-2003, 02:57 PM
I just call myself a 'weightlifter'. It comes from my own confusion... I have a physique goal in mind, but I'm not entirely a bodybuilder; I like powerlifting routines, but I'm not a powerlifter; if I had the opportunity to lift odd objects I would, but I'm not a strongman competitor. But I do lift weights... hence 'weightlifter'. :D (Besides, people would raise eyebrows and laugh if said I was a 'bodybuilder' :rolleyes: ).

TwoWalks
01-19-2003, 03:16 PM
:D I'm just a fat man that works out AKA: doughboy

MiloMan
01-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by TwoWalks
Hey Milo, my problem is this: I lived a really hard life, I lived through a dozen motorcycle wrecks, a huge number of fights. I have broken one knee cap three times and the other twice. I spent a year in a hospital with my back in traction and the list goes on and on. For long term durability, I do not lift one pound more than it takes to get the job done. I know I can lift far more than I do, I just don't want to do it because I know if a tendon goes, so do I. :D all I have to go by is how I look. Now 30 years ago, would have been a different story, I use to lift the front of my dads VW for warm-ups :)
You have good, physical reasons then! I guess I should have put some sort of caveat in my post, saying applicability depended on joint condition and other relevant factors.

I suppose it was directed more at those who have no physical hitches that prevent them from doing pretty hefty strength training. On a related note, I have a friend that got his pelvis fractured in 5 places (car accident), along with various injuries, joint damage, etc, and he sure can't train like he used to, so he trains as he is able to do without (mostly joint) pain.

Macattack
01-19-2003, 04:08 PM
LMAO twowalks, i'ma doughboy too, body work in progress.....
284 and rising:)

TwoWalks
01-19-2003, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MiloMan
[B]You have good, physical reasons then! I guess I should have put some sort of caveat in my post,

Milo not a problem, I am working on the strength thing also but taking some time to make sure tendons hold together, but I am getting there.

My original post was just a humorous view of the world of bodybuilding - not really a classification, especially of my great body:)

Gator
01-20-2003, 05:01 AM
Interesting perspective..

Gator

giantfan43
01-24-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by TwoWalks

My original post was just a humorous view of the world of bodybuilding - not really a classification, especially of my great body:)

Good post twowalks ... based upon your classifications, I too am a bodybuilder .. but again, I'm also a weightlifter and a doughboy .. I also look at gains both in poundage and in the mirror .. so, who the hell knows what i am !

TwoWalks
01-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by giantfan43
Good post twowalks ... based upon your classifications, I too am a bodybuilder .. but again, I'm also a weightlifter and a doughboy .. I also look at gains both in poundage and in the mirror .. so, who the hell knows what i am !

an IMPROVEMENT ENGINEER:)

TwoWalks
01-25-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by icequeen
I liked your post TwoWalks, and being female, it seems to take on a whole new set of meanings.

Sometimes I still stumble over the words when I have to explain something by saying "I lift weights" or "I'm a bodybuilder".
Being a girl, it has taken me a while to even call myself a bodybuilder at all.
I thought there was a weight limit on the title and 125# girls didn't count :)

From the response and views, I guess what I wrote fits the Ladies better than the men. Thats ok, I have always been turned on by the Ladies and now maybe I am just more tuned in to the Ladies :D