PDA

View Full Version : Cut routine - Need help

Brad224
01-17-2003, 08:08 AM
I hate asking these types of questions, but I've never been on a formal "cut" before and need some help from the experts. Iíve been on a 5-month bulk and it went well Ė I gained 30 pounds, added about an inch and a half to arms & calves, two inches to quads & chest. All in all Iím pleased with the results, but itís time to get defined, trim the unwanted fat and prepare for a martial arts tournament I have coming up.

Iíve been doing a 3-day split routine: M Ė Chest, Triceps, Shoulders; W Ė Abs, legs; Sa Ė Back, biceps. I get 3 Ė 4 hours of cardio a week from my Tae Kwon Do classes. Iím 36, 6í tall and currently at 215. Those are the facts, hereís the questions:

1) What kind of daily calorie count should I shoot for on a cut?
2) Would it hurt to add one more day of cardio (about 30 minutes) in the form of jogging/wind sprints (mainly for cardio-vascular benefits)?
3) Most important question Ė Whatís the best type of workout routine for someone wanting to cut but still keep all the gains Iíve made over the last several months? Do I switch to a HST/HIT type program or should I stick with the split routines I currently have worked up?

I definitely want to keep the strength gains Iíve made, and if at all possible, continue to push them up even on a cut. I donít want to maintain or decrease in the amount of weight Iím using, I do know that much.

Thanks for the help, gang!

Gator
01-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Yo Brad..

Congrats on the bulkin of 30 lbs !! Pretty sweet !!
Post how u gained(routine, diet, etc..), we here are always lookin for new ways ..

1)Maybe the Keto people here, which are great, can help you come up with some sort of cutting diet..
2) IMHO, cardio cant hurt ya...
3) Maybe give HIT a whirl, but also watch yer caloric intake b/c of the infrequency of the workouts..

In hindsight, I dont know if youll be able to keep all of the gains youve made, size, strength, etc..So something will have to give..
Thats whats youll have to decide ..

Good luck !

Gator

Brad224
01-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Thanks, Gator. I really hope I don't lose too much - I've had to work too hard to get it in the first place.

As far as my routine goes, I started doing the six meals a day - while trying to keep it relatively clean. Lots of protein (2 protein shakes a day, one for breakfast, one post-workout). Big breakfast (oatmeal, natural peanut butter & honey sandwich, protein shake, yogurt), mid-morning snack (another peanut butter/honey sandwich + piece of fruit), lunch (two veggies, fruit, lean meat & yogurt), afternoon snack (fruit, lean beef jerky, nuts), dinner (two veggies, lean meat, bread) and post-workout shake. Lots of water through out the day.

For my routine, I did 9-10 sets of 8 reps for chest, with the compound of wide-grip bench, incline bench, decline bench, dips, some isolation. 5-8 sets of 8 reps arms with lots of isolation. 4 sets of 20 reps on calves really heavy. 12 sets of 8 reps for back & quads as heavy as possible with deadlifts and squats for compound movements.

Kept my workouts at a very intense hour, maybe an hour and a half. PM me if you want my exact routines. I have three of them I switch between and the end of each month. Too much to type here.

MagicMel
01-17-2003, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure if anyone can keep all the gains from bulking while going on a cutting routine. That's a science in itself which is going to be different for every body.

I personally dropped 28 lbs in 3 month last summer. A good chunk of it was probably muscle, but my priority then was to cut the gut and worry about muscle later, which I am doing now.

My training consisted of upper/lower body split, twice a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday). And doing cardio 5 days a week. Cardio only on Wednesday was HIIT on either recumbent bike or elliptical trainer. I trained abs 3 out of those 5 days.
Weight training was light to moderate weight and 12-15 reps with no more than 60 sec rest between sets.

You could keep your same split but target the 12-15 rep range with short rest between sets. And I would definitely add that extra day of cardio.

I have also heard that supplementing with Glutamine while cutting will help preserve some muscle mass. I wish I had tried that last summer, but my next cut starting in March will definitely include 10-20 of Glutamine.

Just my thoughts.

Gator
01-17-2003, 10:35 AM
Well as Mel said, thats prolly where the "science" aspect of the sport comes into play, if you choose to go that route, to keep all yer gains, if ya know what I mean Brad..
And Im not saying that is how you bulked up either bro..

Gator

Brad224
01-17-2003, 11:16 AM
Naw, didn't/won't use any chemical enhancements for either gains or losses.

Thanks for the info. It's all starting to sound the same - I can cut, but I'm going have some losses. Bummer!

Gator
01-17-2003, 11:19 AM
As far as I know there will be some loss..
Maybe others can shed some light here as well..

Gator

Originally posted by Brad224
Naw, didn't/won't use any chemical enhancements for either gains or losses.

Thanks for the info. It's all starting to sound the same - I can cut, but I'm going have some losses. Bummer!