PDA

View Full Version : Favorite day at the gym ?!

giantfan43
01-17-2003, 06:57 AM
Today is Friday and for the last 4 - 5 months, Friday has been leg day .. for me, its a love / hate thing .. I think about it the nite before, almost dreading it, fearing it a bit .. but then when I get there, I'm so pumped up I can't believe it .. it is the day I dread, but also the workout I love the most .. I leave the gym and I can hardly walk up the stairs .. legs shaking .. 4 hours later and my legs are still shaking .. maybe I like it most cuz its the day I move the most weight, what with squats and leg press, no other day really compares for me with the amount of weight moved .. I also skip cardio on leg day so that could be it too ! ... so with all that being said, I would have to say that "FRIDAY" or "LEG DAY" is my favorite at the gym ..

Just curious what others felt was there favorite workout day ?

Minotaur
01-17-2003, 07:53 AM
It's a toss up for me as to which is my favorite training day...

1. Legs on Monday, as long as I'm not doing squats that night. I love what squats do for me, but I dread that heavy weight. Otherwise I enjoy all the other leg moves;

2. Back on Friday. Back is easy even though I go as heavy as possible. I like the moves... rows, pulldowns, shrugs. Even deadlifts and rack pulls are tolerable;

3. Shoulders and arms on Saturday. Like everyone else in the gym world, I like working my arms. I don't do a lot of sets and reps for shoulders, but what I do counts, so it's not torture.

Notice I didn't say anything about chest!? That's last on the list. I'm not wild about benching, either barbell or dumbell, though I know they are probably among the best chest exercises. Dips are great though, and I like doing them.

Gator
01-17-2003, 08:01 AM
Any day that I squat or deadlift is my fav day..
To me, whether it be a lil ego thing or whatever, movin around some weight just makes me feel better about me ya know..
Make sense ???
Worst day is arm day, hate it, do it out of necessity..
I dont get the whole curl thing..

Gator

TampaIronMan
01-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Shoulder day is my fav. For some sick reason, I have always loved working the shoulders. That is usually Tuesday.

Mondays are another fav...that is bench day. I used to hate benching, but in the last year, after adjusting some form problems, I have seen great gains in benching.

I agree with Gator...it is nice to move big weight. I feel like I am at the point where I am starting to do some big weight for reps on the bench, and that is a great feeling.

MagicMel
01-17-2003, 09:04 AM
FRIDAY!!! Friday night is the least busy time of the week at my gym. I can do any excercise I want without having to wait for any equipment to be freed. It's usually the night that I do chest/back or chest/bi depending on my routine.
BTW, chest just happens to be my favorite part to train.

decider111
01-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Saturdays are chest day. That is my favorite. (Maybe cause I like lying down LOL).

I like leg day, but am not yet at the point where I feel that I am making enough progress, so am often frustrated.

Back day is neither here nor there for me.

I include arms on my respective upper body days so I do not have a separate arm day.

Least favorite remains cardio days. I also detest doing ab work. Always have.

giantfan43
01-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by decider111
I also detest doing ab work. Always have.

Abs ?? What are those ?? Are there really exercises for that ?? LOL

I agree .. I hate having anything to do with abs, that's probably why my 6-pack has been hiding on my for the past 40 years !

Gator
01-17-2003, 09:48 AM
I have "an", one ab..LOL

Gator

Originally posted by giantfan43
Abs ?? What are those ?? Are there really exercises for that ?? LOL

I agree .. I hate having anything to do with abs, that's probably why my 6-pack has been hiding on my for the past 40 years !

tracyb555
01-17-2003, 10:27 AM
Well, I just figured out my LEAST favorite time/date to go! Just signed my 13 year old daughter up for a 7-8 class on Wed. nights, figuring that would be a good time to go and do some free-weight stuff. Well, that same time period is when they have a class called "Women & Free Weights", an introductory class that more than quadruples the number of people who are normally in the free weight area!

Favorite workout times: After 8 pm or anytime Friday nights when things are less crowded.

Favorite workouts: Legs, back, long runs outdoors

Least favorite workouts: Abs, biceps, treadmills

MiloMan
01-17-2003, 10:38 AM
My favorite day at the gym is...well, I lift at home. However, I would say quad day (currently fridays). Squatting in the cage is building a strong foundation for your body. If you aren't doing it, you should be.

IPR
01-17-2003, 02:55 PM
Favorite day is sat morning when I train legs. The gyms empty and I love the torture of squats (when its over anyway :D)

sledgehammer956
01-17-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by MiloMan
My favorite day at the gym is...well, I lift at home. However, I would say quad day (currently fridays). Squatting in the cage is building a strong foundation for your body. If you aren't doing it, you should be. I agree, I recently bought a squat rack for my home gym with another 300 lb. Olympic weight set. Theres nothing like working out at home, all I need is a treadmill and heavybag and I can kiss Bally's goodbye!

TwoWalks
01-17-2003, 03:38 PM
I know that I am strange ... so I do not have a favorite gym day. I do have my least favorite days, the ones that drive me up the walls and almost bring tears to my eyes. The ones where I feel usless and some how being lazy ... Rest day. I do a three day workout and am looking at five days a week but I know I am old and slow to recover, but, I sure hate wasting those four great days.

OH YEH :D I forgot, next week is my first five day week.

Gollum
01-17-2003, 03:45 PM
My favorite day at the gym is back day!I'm a short guy and since I havent figured out a way to get taller I'll just keep getting wider. :D

drew_bledsoe
01-17-2003, 03:50 PM
i love saturdays which is chest day & bicep day. i agree w/ giantfan about dreading leg day the nite before and when im at the gym, im loving every min. of it.

Homie
01-17-2003, 06:00 PM
I LOVE CHEST DAY!!! I always get a good pump and my chest seems to respond pretty well to most exercises. I HATE LEG DAY! I don't know why, I have always hated working legs. I love muscle pain, but I hate getting nauseous after doin' a set to failure. I squatted tonight (with the flu) and realized quickly why rest is important. I felt relatively strong, but got light headed during my sets...NOT GOOD ON SQUATS.

MiloMan
01-17-2003, 06:19 PM
You've got two kinds of people who hate working quads (especially squats).

1. Those that hate it, but do it anyway. This describes a lot of people. You don't have to love it, but you do have to do it.

2. Those who hate it, so they don't do it. These are easily identified by their (disproportionately) thin legs and "chicken butt" dangling from their much better developed upper body. Their split usually resembles the following:

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Biceps
Wednesday - Chest
Thursday - Biceps
Friday - Chest
Saturday - Biceps

Gatorvrx
01-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Wednesday's for me. Back and Bi's. Mondays are second best with chest and tri's. Fridays are leg and shoulders. I like squatting, but I hate working shoulders, don't know why.

IPR
01-17-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by MiloMan
You've got two kinds of people who hate working quads (especially squats).

1. Those that hate it, but do it anyway. This describes a lot of people. You don't have to love it, but you do have to do it.

2. Those who hate it, so they don't do it. These are easily identified by their (disproportionately) thin legs and "chicken butt" dangling from their much better developed upper body. Their split usually resembles the following:

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Biceps
Wednesday - Chest
Thursday - Biceps
Friday - Chest
Saturday - Biceps

First day I walked in the gym I already knew I had skinny legs (and fat everywhere else :)), so I went straight with squats. Everytime I went to the gym for legs or any other body part I wore shorts to remind me of my skinny legs. Now they have a little better, but not great, I have started wearing sweat pants, somehow makes my upper body look bigger....weird :)

MiloMan
01-18-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by IPR
First day I walked in the gym I already knew I had skinny legs (and fat everywhere else :)), so I went straight with squats. Everytime I went to the gym for legs or any other body part I wore shorts to remind me of my skinny legs. Now they have a little better, but not great, I have started wearing sweat pants, somehow makes my upper body look bigger....weird :)
Same here, pretty much, except for the fat. Two decades ago, I was 6'0"@130lbs; stick legs, chicken butt, bony torso, noodle arms.

Oh, and a pencil neck.

Charger
01-18-2003, 06:50 AM
Right now anyway my days/muscle groups alternate so,
Best workout day Sat. morning. During the week I get up at 4:30am to workout, sat morn I get to sleep in and go at 9:00, gym is usually not crowded. My gym is REALLY small, this is a plus.

Favorite body part, Chest, I love chest, legs are a close second.
That said today just happens to be chest/back day and it's sat. all is good in the world.

Hibiscus09
01-18-2003, 08:35 AM
Definitely leg day -- although I've been working out alone lately & I miss my sweet little weight boy loading the weights!

TrishB
01-18-2003, 10:31 AM
Now that I am back into cardio again...that is my favorite.
I love being able to build up endurance, and I have an easier time measuring that than I do the small muscle gains that I might make.
And being able to squeeze into those smaller jeans is a nice benefit too. :)

OK...I know ya'll hate cardio, but one of us has to be the odd one here. :p

dip2getbig
01-18-2003, 10:37 AM
I don't know if this is going to sound silly or not , but everyday I'm in the gym , no matter what bodypart I am working , is a favorite day .
When I see improvement in all bodyparts when looking in the mirror , it makes me eager to get back in that gym !!!!!
Wierd ??? or insane ???? LOL

MiloMan
01-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by TrishB
Now that I am back into cardio again...that is my favorite.
I love being able to build up endurance, and I have an easier time measuring that than I do the small muscle gains that I might make.
And being able to squeeze into those smaller jeans is a nice benefit too. :)

OK...I know ya'll hate cardio, but one of us has to be the odd one here. :p
I commute on my MTB every day! Not because I'm some odd, wacked-out greenie (my truck gets about 12mpg, which bothers me not at all), but because I like to ride. I only drive when I need the haulage - Gore-tex handles everything else.

Commute + cardio; two birds, one stone.

decider111
01-18-2003, 12:34 PM
I am lucky that I live 1.3 miles from work and my commute (unless weather is real bad) is by walking. Nice brisk walk in cold NYC morn' will really wake one up. Only to be followed by the thrill of trying stay presentable after a brisk walk in a NYC 90 degree/90 percent humidity ozone alert mid-August day.

Hibiscus09
01-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Sounds like South Carolina's August weather if you up that around 5 to 10 degrees! :) I just stay indoors in July & August!

TrishB
01-18-2003, 01:58 PM
I would love to live close enough to work to walk....or be able to ride a bike without risking my life to the Boston drivers. :(

Decider....hope you did not have to work today. Walking in these single digits temps this morning would really have woken you up!
:)

Anomeley
01-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Chest day. The only thing that comes close is leg day. My two best lifts (go figure)

decider111
01-18-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by TrishB
I would love to live close enough to work to walk....or be able to ride a bike without risking my life to the Boston drivers. :(

Decider....hope you did not have to work today. Walking in these single digits temps this morning would really have woken you up!
:)

Thanks Trish-

Unfortunately, here I am at work. Where I will be tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after, and so on and so. Gym in a.m. and then off to work. No rest for the weary. This a.m. I decided I wished I lived in sunny San Diego. Ah well.

Trish, sounds like you have great will power and doing good. Congrats!

wspe
01-20-2003, 08:45 AM
ANY DAY I CAN DEADLIFT

Minotaur
01-20-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Gollum
I'm a short guy and since I havent figured out a way to get taller I'll just keep getting wider. :D

Yep, same here... no other choice!

maxallen
01-20-2003, 09:06 AM
Call me a curl jockey, but I so look forward to my arm day every Friday. Just something about that great pump that comes from doing biceps, triceps and forearms - and shoulders - together. Also Friday is my bowling league night, and the bowling alley is always very hot, so I get to wear a short-sleeve t-shirt while I still have some residual pump and vascularity going on.

* Getting psyched up for my Monday leg workout today at noon! *

MDC
01-21-2003, 06:19 AM
I really like doing legs, but my favorite was when I did chest/back on Monday. I stopped doing chest and shoulders for over a month because of a rotator cuff, and have now changed my split. I haven't figured out what my favorite is now, but am finally getting back to doing everything.

Maybe my favorite day is when my wife goes to the gym! She wants to go three times per week, and I couldn't be happier. I even convinced her to do squats in the power rack!

My least favorite bodypart, for some reason, is biceps.

timetogetbig
01-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Howdy y'all -

I ain't over 35 so I hope y'all don't mind my 2 cents. My favorite day at the gym is my leg day too ! I love to squat !

MagicMel
01-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Maxallen,

How can you possibly go bowling after working out arms and shoulders?
I work out shoulders and arms on the same day, too. But when I get home, it takes all I got to just wash my hair. Geez, sometimes I have to squirt the shampoo on the shower door and rub my hair in it just to get the job done.

Hibiscus09
01-21-2003, 02:10 PM
That must look funny, MagicMel! :) I used to absolutely hate when I showered at the gym right after doing arms & would try to raise my hands up to shampoo -- probably left globs of the stuff in my hair! :)

MagicMel
01-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Hib,

My training buddy likes to splash water through his hair and face after our workouts. A couple of weeks ago, after a good chest and back workout, I noticed a huge puddle of water behind him at the sink where he was standing and laughing at himself. His hands never made it to his hair and the handful of water went over his head!!!!

Hibiscus09
01-21-2003, 02:33 PM
I know the feeling! I kind of like it when I make my arms numb -- feel like I've worked them hard! :)

maxallen
01-21-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by MagicMel
How can you possibly go bowling after working out arms and shoulders?

Well I work out at noon, and bowling isn't until 7:00 p.m. By that time I've regained full movement in my arms, and the soreness hasn't really kicked in yet. I know a lot of people don't get DOMS in their arms, but I sure do.

MagicMel
01-21-2003, 03:04 PM
OK, that explains it.

Whatever you do, don't supp with NO2 or Nitro AKG since the hemodilation effect will keep your pump going till the next day, Unless you bowl with the kiddie bumpers in the UP position. jk

funtobeme
01-22-2003, 08:14 AM
I love doing legs. I love the squats the best, of course when I over do it, forgtet about walking the next day.
The next fav is my shoulders, I love toned shoulders! I love watching them when I workout, can really see definition in them right away!! Though, I am lacking on the weight, must add more, not feeling enough of a workout.

Later kids,

MagicMel
01-22-2003, 08:53 AM
fun,

I know what you mean about watching your shoulders when you work them out. Shoulders is not necessarily one of my favorite parts to work out, but I like seeing the muscle striation when to doing lateral raises. I just don't like seeing the striations in my facial muscles at the same time, though. ha,ha.
In the winter time, if you can call it winter in the So. Cal. area, shoulder day is the only day I wear a tank top!

giantfan43
01-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Fun / Mel -

Its been 4 degrees in the morning when I go to the gym here in the northeast the past couple of mornings (5 am) .. I've been wearing sweatshirts cuz my gym doesn't seem to be much warmer .. but to your points, I actually enjoy shoulders second only to legs ... I like pushing the weight and I also like the way my traps look when doing shrugs and laterals .. even through the sweatshirts !

funtobeme
01-22-2003, 10:12 AM
Hey Giantfan,

I was at the gym this morning at 6:30am and yes I too live in the norhteast, New York and it is cold. Usually, I hate the cold, but for some reason I don't seem to feel it lately. Tomorrow night they said with the windchill the temp will be btw. 20 - 40 below. YIkes!

Love the way shoulders look, but it is my weakest muscle. overhead presses are a killer and that is not with much weight at all.

giantfan43
01-22-2003, 10:20 AM
hey fun -

I don't remember it being this cold for so long .. we've been lucky with the snow during this spell .. bound to come though !

MagicMel
01-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Cold is in the mind of the becolder! What???

I can identify with cold. You know, like when it gets into 50's at night, I MUST wear a sweatshirt to the gym.

Please don't hate me just 'cause I live in So. Cal., after all we do have earthquakes you know.

Hibiscus09
01-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Come to South Carolina -- we just have hurricanes. :) I'm the same way, 50 degrees is definitely sweatshirt time!

giantfan43
01-22-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by MagicMel
Cold is in the mind of the becolder! What???

I can identify with cold. You know, like when it gets into 50's at night, I MUST wear a sweatshirt to the gym.

Please don't hate me just 'cause I live in So. Cal., after all we do have earthquakes you know.

[]QUOTE]Originally posted by Hibiscus09
Come to South Carolina -- we just have hurricanes. :) I'm the same way, 50 degrees is definitely sweatshirt time! [/QUOTE

You warm weather folks are breaking my frozen heart ... the way the temp is now, 50 degrees would be tank top time .. and I've only been through a small earthquake and a small hurricane and I would hate to go through one of the big ones !

decider111
01-22-2003, 12:52 PM
Giant Fan-

I do not know about you. I see you guys at the Meadowlands, painted blue, shirt off, and cheering on the team in the most frigid weather. Why the little bit of nippy weather we have been having the last week or so in the metro. area must seem like nothing.

Now, real cold is in Northern Michigan where I was born. It got so cold they had to pre-heat the fire hydrants to the dogs would not get frozen stuck to them when they urinated. Why, it got so cold that the boiling coffee froze so fast it was still hot when frozen. It got so cold that the neighbor's cow Lucy's milk turned to ice cream before it hit the pail.

But seriously, I thought I would see somepay off from the global warming by now.

MagicMel
01-22-2003, 12:55 PM
giantfan43,

I have been through the last 3 major earthquakes here in the L.A. area.
1971 Sylmar 6.6
1987 Whittier 5.9
1994 Northridge 6.9
I vividly remember the 6+ magnitude ones as they threw me out of my bed. All of the epicenters were within 30 miles of my location.
You DO NOT want to go thru anything like that.

Mexico just had a magnitude 7.8 yesterday. I cannot even imagine what that might have felt like!

Thoughts and prayers for all those people.

giantfan43
01-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by decider111
Giant Fan-

I do not know about you. I see you guys at the Meadowlands, painted blue, shirt off, and cheering on the team in the most frigid weather. Why the little bit of nippy weather we have been having the last week or so in the metro. area must seem like nothing.

I've never taken off my shirt and shown off my blue painted body at the meadowlands or anywhere else that would be that cold ... I have been there in 15 degree weather... but nothing beats watching the Jets in shea stadium (the old days) in a blowing snowstorm .. I've been there through 6 inches of snow and wind gusts of 25 mph at shea .. felt like every part of me was going to freeze solid !