PDA

View Full Version : Not training to failure

RaisedFist
01-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Okay I just got done one of the best workouts I've ever had since I began bbing almost 2 yrs ago. I'm an ecto weighing around 135 lbs. I've been training to failure with alot of intensity only hitting each bodypart once a week for as long as I can remember and I've been overtraining alot with not so good of gains. I know it's not my diet because I follow a great diet day in, day out and get 8-10 hrs of sleep each night. But tonight when I worked out I tried a full body and just kept my weights the same as last week on all my lifts except I stopped 3 reps short of what I did last week so I didn't go to failure. Could this possibly bring on some gains again for me? I used to train this way when I first started out and I gained like 15 lbs within' the first 2 months of training. I stopped doing it that way because I started researching about bbing and everyone was saying train to failure and use alot of intensity. So I thought that was the proper way to train but all that really did was overtrain the hell out of my body. So anyways hit me with your feedback and comments. Thanks in advance guys

RaisedFist
01-16-2003, 04:52 PM
By the way forgot to mention a few things. I'm only 18 if that helps out in any way. And usually when I train to failure with alot of intensity it just kills my central nervous system and takes away my appetite for days on end. Also it takes my muscles and CNS about a week to recover when training to failure. But if I lower the intensity and stop 2-3 reps short of failure do you think I could get in 2 full body workouts a week. Say one workout monday and one thursday or friday? I've only did this one full body workout tonight but damn did it ever feel good working everything in one session. I don't even feel as drained as I normally do when I'm using a split and only hitting 2 muscle groups each workout.

dip2getbig
01-16-2003, 05:04 PM
Nice to see you found something that will work for you . There is 2 great books on this same routine , they are called "BRAWN" & "BEYOND-BRAWN"
They utilize this same thing , never going to failure , it's called "ABBREVIATED WORK-OUT"
A lot of people have had great succes on this program , & kep making gains . Here is a link on info about the books & training with this routine .
http://www.hardgainer.com/books.html

This is there home site as well , with more info on this type .
http://www.hardgainer.com/

RaisedFist
01-16-2003, 05:17 PM
Well atleast I hope it works for me :) Not sure yet since I've only did that one workout tonight. Not training to failure and focusing more on form helped me gain quite a bit when I first started training but then again those were my begginer gains. But hopefully it works for me and I start seein' gains again. It's been quite awhile since I've seen gains.

RaisedFist
01-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Oh yeah also do you think any exercises should be added in the full body routine to directly hit the arms? If I added in an exercise for triceps and biceps it might be just pushing my workout over the one hour mark. So far this is my routine

Squats: 2 x 8-10
Bench Press: 2 x 8-10
Bent Over BB Rows: 2 x 8-10
Side Lateral Raises: 2 x 8-10
Dumbell Calf Raise: 2 x 10-15

If all goes well and this training works for me in a few weeks I'll be switching up my routine so it'll look like this.

Deadlifts: 2 x 8-10
Incline Dumbell Press: 2 x 8-10
Wide Grip Pull Ups: 2 x Just Short of Failure
Military Press: 2 x 8-10
Barbell Calf Raise: 2 x 10-15

back2it
01-16-2003, 06:56 PM
Anything that is so taxing on your body that you cannot eat will never give you good gains . McRobert has good ideas and I think I mentioned His books to you as well . If your new routine allows you to recover better and eat then I would think that the less intensity won't hurt .Remeber you only need to stimulate growth not burn yourself out . Let us know how you progress .

RaisedFist
01-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys I'll keep ya posted on how I progress from this new routine. Also yeah I kinda though that any training that was so intense it actually decreased my appetite wasn't good either. But nooooo I kept asking ppl questions and stuff and they're like "oh yeah that's normal if you train very intensely like you're supposed to for mass gains" so I kept on and overtrained my ass off. Lost all my begginer gains :(
But I know all about muscle memory so hopefully I'll have 'em back soon enough.

back2it
01-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by RaisedFist
Thanks guys I'll keep ya posted on how I progress from this new routine. Also yeah I kinda though that any training that was so intense it actually decreased my appetite wasn't good either. But nooooo I kept asking ppl questions and stuff and they're like "oh yeah that's normal if you train very intensely like you're supposed to for mass gains" so I kept on and overtrained my ass off. Lost all my begginer gains :(
But I know all about muscle memory so hopefully I'll have 'em back soon enough.

Food intake is paramount to gaining muscle .

Gator
01-17-2003, 05:26 AM
Oh to be 18 again..
If i were you, Id concentrate on the Big 3 as far as movements, leave those concentration curls and all those tricep exercises alone and leave the ego at the door, hard to do at that age I know..
But if u can get a major size base now Bro, there will be no stoppin you..
Maybe the Kortes 3 X 3 as an example..

Good luck !

Gator

giantfan43
01-17-2003, 06:52 AM
At 18, the only time I hit the gym was when my coach pulled my lazy ass out of the parking lot .. too busy listening to Led Zeppelin and smoking in my car with the boys .. but if I knew then, what I know now ..

I'd echo what Gator says .. if you're doing a full body workout and limiting to under an hour (which is smart), I'd certainly stick to the basics .. Deadlifts, Squat, Bench, Military Press, and maybe throw in a bb curl and close-grip bench .. if you're eating right, you'll grow bro !

Minotaur
01-17-2003, 08:02 AM
Dip2getbig and back2it have just confirmed what I thought I understood from somewhere... that going to failure too often can result in overtraining and not making gains.

There was a kid (just out of highschool, so at my age, he's a kid :D) at my first gym that went to failure every stinkin' blessed time he benched. This kid would not approach the bench without having lined up a spotter... usually me, at the end of my workout. :rolleyes:

Now, spotting and safety is good, but in his case it was because he had all intentions of failing. I mean failure in that I had to do a barbell row to get the bar off his chest and marvel that a human could turn that shade of purple. :eek:

Upshot? The kid always complained that he wasn't making any gains. I bit the bullet and told him to stop going to failure, even though it sounded like I was trying to get out of spotting him (well, I was, but that's not the point :D).

MagicMel
01-17-2003, 09:25 AM
I recently came off a heavy weight, low rep, take every compound set to failure routine (6 weeks). I did not make the gains that I thought was going to make. I made better gains when I did not take to failure anything but maybe the last set. The combination of heavy weight and failure took its toll on me in the form of joint pains. Rotator cuff specifically. See my thread "New guy needs some advice"

My advice is to just listen to your body and make changes accordingly. If a particular routine or way of training does not elicit the changes you are expecting, then change it. Of course you have to give it some time to produce change as in my case, after 6 weeks, minimal changes and joint pain, it was definitely time for a change.

Hope this helps.