PDA

View Full Version : Cardio

xx0cool623xx
01-13-2002, 09:14 AM
What is the best cardio to do when trying to lose fat?

DA_Champion
01-13-2002, 01:46 PM
This is what i learnt in my fitness 101 class, the higher the intensity, the higher the proportion of carbs are being burnt, which means lower proportion of fat.

So basically youll burn same amount of fat if you do 15 minutes at 6mph or 7 mph, so when starting off go for slower speeds when your endurance improves you can switch to higher intensity.

At higher intensity you arnt burning more fat during the workout, but, youre boosting your metabolism so youll burn more post workout. High intensity is considered within or above target exercise heart rate.

Another trick is to take a long walk, like 45 mins in the morning before eating breakfast. Since you have very few carbs in the system youll burn a higher proportion of fat than usual, put in a few short sprints(maximum intensity) in there to boost your metabolism and your hormones.

xx0cool623xx
01-21-2002, 08:44 AM
thanx for the advice

Tim
01-21-2002, 10:14 AM
Jogging is better for burning fat than pedalling on a stationary exercise bike because it burns more calories. However, a stationary bike is better for your joints than running is. I usually mix things up, because it is good to not always do the same form of cardio so your body doesn't get used to it. When cutting, I usually do cardio three times a week for about 45 minutes. I usually jog twice a week and go on the stationary bike once a week.

Bulldog
01-21-2002, 12:08 PM
power walk for 30 mins.
don't stroll ... make sure you push it.

its aerobically sound and doesn't punish the knees.

I'm 16 stone (225); I've just started to cut, but I'm wary of going too intense too soon after 5 months bulking.

last year I injured a patella tendon from overdoing it.

criminal
01-22-2002, 06:29 AM
what i did for cutting : i did 1-2 hours high intensity cardio (basketball) for 2 months.It did great for me...a lot of fat down the drain.Stomach went down and everything become smaller except my penis.After my basketball training ended,I swim everyday for about 30 minutes so I can continue to boost my metabolism.I'm also on a 3 weeks on 2 weeks off ECA cycle.

vfk
01-22-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by DA_Champion
...High intensity is considered within or above target exercise heart rate.

can someone pls tell me how to calculate the target exercise heart rate??

how long should one sustain the target heart rate?

thanks!

decider111
01-22-2002, 09:01 AM
Generally, THR is 220 - age. Thus, if you are 30, your target heart rate is ~ 190. For good aerobic production, you should shoot for approximately 85% of THR. Thus, 190 x .85 = 161. This is a good HR for aerobic fitness. Generally, a slightly slower HR works for fat burning. Think approximately 65%. Thus, in our example, 190 x .65 = 124.

These are, however, just approximations. Recent studies have shown that THR is not for everyone. Some people can easily exceed the THR, while others need to work up to it.

One good rule of thumb is that, for example with jogging or treadmill, you want to be slow enough that you can carry on a conversation or hum to yourself, but still fast enough to be pushing yourself.

Also, any aerobic activity will burn fat. Even if you go at 85% of THR you will burn fat - alot of it - along with total calorie burn.

decider111
01-22-2002, 09:05 AM
Sorry, only answered first part of question.

A good rule of thumb is 20-30 minutes per session. I am of the view that some cardio should be done 3x per week at a minimum even if one is in a bulking phase. Others do not necessarily agree.

My view is that the cardio works the lungs, heart, and circulatory system and provides greater aerobic capacity. It is valuable. The calories burned can be replaced through proper nutrition if one is worried about weight loss.

vfk
01-22-2002, 08:37 PM
thanks for the info!