PDA

View Full Version : Torn Iliotibial Band

VitaminX
08-31-2006, 11:06 PM
I have been suffering with this problem for over three years now. No MD or physical therapist I have seen has been able to completely correct the issue. I've rolled on the styrofoam cylinder, had electro-stim sessions, stretched, done stengthening exercises, had a shot to break up scar tissue and so far NOTHING has worked. Right now, it is managable but it is constantly bothering me.

I tore it originally doing heavy leg presses, on the last rep I felt something pulling apart on the lateral side of my leg slightly above the knee cap. No real pain initially, but the real pain came the next time i squatted. It was a very sharp pain, felt like sparks were hitting the side of my leg. Eventually, the entire band became tight. The MD told me to take three months off from doing any leg exercises (which didn't help the problem and thus began the long string of unsucessful treatments).

Basically, any time pressure is put on the leg which involves using the quad muscles (even standing), the IT band tightens up all the way to the hip/glute area and occasionally I will get pain. If I squat heavy, I get the painful spark-feeling. I can do light front or machine squats but even then, the band is really tight afterwards.

Any one who suffered from this problem have any solutions? I'm done with the getting medical treatments. The only other options availible are cortisone shot and if that doesn't work, "guinea pig" surgery.

Thanks!

user25891
09-01-2006, 05:44 AM
I have been suffering with this problem for over three years now. No MD or physical therapist I have seen has been able to completely correct the issue. I've rolled on the styrofoam cylinder, had electro-stim sessions, stretched, done stengthening exercises, had a shot to break up scar tissue and so far NOTHING has worked. Right now, it is managable but it is constantly bothering me.

I tore it originally doing heavy leg presses, on the last rep I felt something pulling apart on the lateral side of my leg slightly above the knee cap. No real pain initially, but the real pain came the next time i squatted. It was a very sharp pain, felt like sparks were hitting the side of my leg. Eventually, the entire band became tight. The MD told me to take three months off from doing any leg exercises (which didn't help the problem and thus began the long string of unsucessful treatments).

Basically, any time pressure is put on the leg which involves using the quad muscles (even standing), the IT band tightens up all the way to the hip/glute area and occasionally I will get pain. If I squat heavy, I get the painful spark-feeling. I can do light front or machine squats but even then, the band is really tight afterwards.

Any one who suffered from this problem have any solutions? I'm done with the getting medical treatments. The only other options availible are cortisone shot and if that doesn't work, "guinea pig" surgery.

Thanks!

Im sorry to hear about your injury. You are the first person ive ever heard of with a torn IT band.

Jason

VitaminX
09-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Im sorry to hear about your injury. You are the first person ive ever heard of with a torn IT band.

Jason

Funny you said that, the Orthopedic I saw said the exact same thing. According to him, the IT band is "supposed" to be almost impossible to tear.

VitaminX
09-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Anyone else have any idea?

twinposedown
09-05-2006, 09:06 PM

Physiotherapy? I've got an IT band problem as well (though mine isn't anywhere near yours). I like to get a cylinder and lie on the ground, then use my body to roll my IT band up/down the cylinder. It's a great way of massaging the area for free and it is effective for me.

sacredwlkr
07-11-2011, 12:14 PM

I just did the same thing to my right ITB. That sparky pain is the fascia pulling on the muscle at so many different points, as it sheaths the whole muscle group and is difficult to loosen/stretch. I'm lucky that I don't have it as badly as you do...yet (sorry).

I'm also a massage therapist and I've worked with ITB friction syndrome, though I know this is a tear we are talking about. I'm wondering if, since you have pain from the origin of the ITB at the hip/glute through the knee, if some myo-fascial release might help. MFR involves loosening the fascia by slow manipulation from a trained therapist. You will have to find a massage therapist or body-worker who specializes in myofascial release. I hope this helps; and, good luck!

leckrone
06-26-2017, 09:43 PM
I broke my femur, as high up as possible. When the bone snapped is displaced over 100%. Somewhere along the way I completely snapped the IT Band in my left leg, they reattached it the best they could but I fear my recovery will be less than 100%. That was in December of 2016 we are coming up on July 2017 and I'm still walking with a cane. I wish you the best in your recovery, if you find anything that helps I would appreciate the advice, I visit my doctor this week and am hoping to get released to full weight bearing. I am only 30, with 2 baby boys. Not being able to chase, wrestle, and play on the ground is just not an option.