PDA

View Full Version : Protein Shake Alternatives !

UK2BB
08-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to cut down on the protein shakes as I do not like all the manufactured proteins etc (unless there are unmanufactured ones which i highly dought)

I don't quite understand all the different types of protein but know enough to know that I need whey in the morning and after a work out and casein before bed. I'm not even sure if my question is a valid one but I will ask....
Basically i'm wondering if theres food alternatives to whey proten and casein (apart from cheese and eggs).

So if anyone can give me a list of foods that have a high content of whey and casein I would appreicate it. I can afford shakes I just do not like all the manufactured things in it.

Thanks. Reps given for good info

Struct09
08-31-2006, 03:57 PM
So if anyone can give me a list of foods that have a high content of whey and casein I would appreicate it. I can afford shakes I just do not like all the manufactured things in it.

Well, whey and casein are the two types of protein that are found in milk. So the only way you're going to get these two types of protein is from dairy products. Whey is found in ricotta cheese, while casein is found in many other cheeses (cottage cheese being the preferred source here).

It's hard to recommend a fast digesting protein that's not eggs or whey. For a slower digesting protein, if you don't want to eat cottage cheese or take casein protein, then eating some meat before bed should suffice. Add in some good fat to help further slow digestion (peanut butter, almonds, walnuts, olive oil, flax seed oil, etc).

UK2BB
08-31-2006, 04:11 PM
Yea thanks. I thought about that, I guess pre bed isn't much of a problem I can just have some chicken with fats. But if i did want to stop taking shakes after my workouts then I would need a good source of whey. I guess eggs might do but not knowing where the protein comes from I was just wondering if there is alternatives.

Thanks