PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Eating At Work?

Jeramie
08-30-2006, 11:19 AM
I gained weight like mad and broke 200 ending up at 208. I'm only 5'8" and before hand weighed in at 175-180 so you can imagine the weight increase.

I attribute that to two things. One is my wife got pregnant and I gained "Sympathy" weight. I'm not sure how, I didn't change (or so I don't think) but regardless. Also I work in an office. Ive been working behind a desk for roughly 11-12 years now. I use to be cut but the more I sit chained to this thing the more its taking its toll. I'm back in the gym now (m,w,f,) and doing cardio (t,t,s). Still being a desk jockey isn't helping at all.

I need to start planning lunches I can eat at the office that are better for me. Its to easy to fall into the sugar packed boxes the 300+ other office jockeys are bringing in. Once I start to see some progress I can cut out all the junk but right now its just not that easy. This stuff is everywhere and of every form and flavor you can imagine.

I have about 7 Super Walmarts at my disposal and I try to keep snack in my drawer so I can eat better. Now that I'm back in the gym full force (after an 18 month hiatus) I really want to drop lbs. What are some good suggestions for Breakfast and Lunch?

I leave the house at 4:00a.m. so getting up to cook isn't realistic. Currently I'm eating Quaker Oatmeal (instant) in the morning and a Turkey Sandwich on white bread (dry) with some baked chips. Ive lost down to 188 but thats the plateau and I'm carrying much more fat then I did at roughly 180lbs.

Help!

exhibita
08-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I attribute that to two things. One is my wife got pregnant and I gained "Sympathy" weight.

A preggers wife got me from 240 to 310. Its an ugly thing "Honey, can you go out and get me a slurpie and pickles?" "Sure, and while I'm out, I'll get me some Pizza " :)

I leave the house at 4:00a.m. so getting up to cook isn't realistic.

Then cook before bed. Every Sunday, I make a big pot of steel cut oats for the week. I portion them out into tupperware and viola', breakfast everyday that only takes me a second to grab when I open the fridge door and snatch out the container :) . A minute in the nuker at work and they are good to go.

Hot lunches are likewise as easy with chicken or whatever. The key is being able to spend two or so hours cooking on Saturday night, and gaining a good supply of tupperware.

You just have to budget out the time.

lowkey122
08-30-2006, 11:58 AM
I too prepare a bunch over the weekend and divide it into smaller portions for the week. Or you could just start cooking healthy meals for dinner and bring the leftovers for lunch and snacks if you don't have the time on the weekends. Also the reason oats, chicken, tuna, etc are repeatedly mentioned in these threads is due to not only their nutritional value but due to being so inexpensive. So just stick to 100% whole grains and lean meats and plenty of veggies, make smaller meals rather than 2 or 3 big ones and you'll be fine.

influx
08-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Yeah, there's no excuse for not having time to cook healthy meals. I cook up mass amounts of food on Sunday and Wednesday nights which carry me through the rest of the week.

Some on-the-go meals would include: canned minestrone soup with diced up chicken/lean beef that you just can re-heat at work or a tuna sandwich on whole wheat, for example.

EviLBoX
08-31-2006, 12:36 PM
I work a desk job as well. For breakfast I usually have oatmeal and cottage cheese. Then around 10:00 AM I have a Detour Protein Bar, 1:00 PM I have a tuna sandwich and an apple, then dinner around 5:00 PM. My meals are pretty good regarding protein/carb/fat intake. Sometimes I'll grill 3-4 chicken breasts on Sunday and just pack them in my lunch for a sandwich throughout the week.

ozigal
08-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Why on earth do you have white bread in your diet. White bread= processed, addedd preservatives, sodium, etc, refined flour (not fibre or wholegrains). You should be eating wholemeal or wholegrain. There's a start at least.

large chris
08-31-2006, 02:29 PM
If I told you 50g of this snack food had the folllowing nutritional values, what food would I be talking about? (% of rec daily amount in brackets - answer at bottom of page)

320 cal (16%)

Fat 26g (37.1%)

(Of which sat fat 5.5g (27.5%))

Salt 0.4g (6.7%)

Sugars 2.0g (2.2%)

Fibre 2.9g

Protein 14.8g

Carb 6.7g

For the record, my successful diet is a follows:

180g can of tuna for breakfast and 1/2 pint milk.

Lunch, another can of tuna.

Different meat and some green fibrous vegetables (broccoli, beans) in the evening.

More tuna and milk last thing at night.

The snack I swear by during the day is:

Salted peanuts! Lovely

I can't understand why peanuts don't get mentioned more often. If you look at the stats properly, 50-100g a day (a good amount) has no problems in either salt or fat.

Conclusion: Daily food for the office doesn't get simpler or quicker than this.

Large Chris

agua_fresca
08-31-2006, 07:37 PM
I am in the same situation as you are. I work in an office, and I am all the time sourrouded by temptation: pizza lunch meetings, donnuts in the morning, bagels on friday.

The point is... that will never stop, you have to learn to deal with that and learn to say no. There are no magic solutions.

I love donnuts, but I just learn to ignore them, because my healthy diet is more important than succumbing to a donnut that frankly is pure crap.

Try to be strict during the week and then indulge once a week. I prefer to cheat when I am not stressed and rushing around papers at the office.

About your diet, I do not cook either, only three times a week eggs in the morning.

I go to the deli and I buy two small bowls of healthy food: like turkey with broccoli and tuna salad. It is not more than 12 dls and I have my lunch and my dinner solved. For breakfast is carb control oatmeal with a scoop of vainilla whey protein (or lean dessert cinnamon roll) which is my fave meal ever, just like cheting.
At 3PM I have a protein bar or another bowl of oatmeal with flax seed and: whey and before bed cottage cheese with pb or whey shake with cottage cheese and splenda.

And basically that is... It is clean, cheap, delicious and I do not step into the kitchen, only to warm my tea or grab some water from the fridge.

Good luck with your diet
Agua