PDA

View Full Version : MRM Phosphatidylserine(PS) FAQ's

MuZI
08-27-2006, 03:06 PM
MRM Phosphatidylserine (PS) FAQ!

http://www.bestbuyhealth.com/images/products/PS-copy200.gif

http://www.mrm-usa.com/files/supplement-facts/psfacts.gif

Do You Suffer From Memory Loss or Lack of Concentration?

MRM’s Phosphatidylserine (PS) Enhances Cognitive Activity & the Ability to Focus & Learn

What Does PS Do?

Supports Brain Function & Clarity
Enhances Attention, Concentration, & Memory
Optimizes Athletic Performance
Reduces Muscle Soreness Following Intense Training

PS for Memory, Learning, Concentration & More…
by Dr. Parris Kidd, Phd University of California at Berkeley
There’s a revolution happening in brain research, and phosphatidylserine (PS) is a big part of it. It’s now proven that the brain can partially compensate for damage by adjusting existing circuits and calling upon a reserve of fresh cells. PS (phosphatidylserine) nutritionally supports brain adaptability, offering people of all ages the possibility of upgrading their mental performance.
I think of PS as a “deep nutrient” because it occurs in all known life forms and works at a profound level. It has been around since life began, being an essential building block for cells, the most basic units of life. PS is most concentrated in the brain, where it nutritionally supports many crucial nerve cell functions.

Mental Decline: Not an Inevitable Part of Aging As we age, many of us notice a loss of mental sharpness and think that this is just part of getting older, but aging cannot explain the current epidemic of severe mental deterioration. The fact is, the human brain is highly susceptible to living in modern “developed” society. Poor lifestyle and diet, ongoing emotional stress, and environmental pollutants all damage fragile brain cells. Many pharmaceutical drugs can cause severe memory loss. More and more children are showing behavioral and learning difficulties linked to pollutant exposures, and such difficulties can persist into adulthood.
People who abuse their bodies through poor diet and lifestyle can experience mental fall-off as early as their 30s, and for many others the problems become really noticeable during their mid-40s. Those people who perform the worst for their age-group are at increased risk of severe cognitive deterioration in later life, unless they make a commitment to rebuilding brain function. They can start with PS.

The Science Behind PS PS has a solid scientific track record. Eighteen double-blind studies establish that PS consistently benefits memory, learning, concentration, word choice, and mood. PS often benefits elderly people with behavioral and mood changes. In a double-blind trial with middle-aged subjects, Thomas Crook found PS helped them regain as much as 12 years’ worth of lost memory power. As for children, PS often helps those who have problems learning in school and responding to their parents at home.

How PS Works Biochemically speaking, PS is a phospholipid substance, a major building block for membranes, those dynamic structures upon which most life activities occur. The membrane systems of the nerve cells make the connections for the brain’s estimated 1,000-trillion separate conducting pathways. Through its deep-membrane actions in the nerve cells, PS facilitates the production, action, and cross-harmonization of the brain’s many chemical transmitters. PS raises brain energy, integrates electrical activity across the brain zones, improves mood, restores hormones that are out of rhythm, even improves coordination between the brain and the adrenal organs which help us cope with stress.

How to Incorporate PS into Your Daily Life Since PS is a fat-soluble nutrient, it’s recommended to take 300 mg daily for the first month. After that, 100 to 200 mg per day may suffice for maintenance. For some people, higher intakes may be advisable, in consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. PS is safe to take, extremely well-tolerated, and proved to be compatible with drugs in common use by the elderly.
Now that we know the human brain can bounce back to rebuild lost function, dietary supplementation with PS ought to be a key component of any brain support program.
Dr. Parris Kidd earned his Ph.D. doing research on cell membranes at the University of California at Berkeley.

PS For the Athlete and Highly Active Individual Among the many studies indicating the positive effects of PS on declining cognition, recent studies have indicated that PS may have a potential benefit in weight training and endurance athletes. Studies illustrated that PS supplementation decreased cortisol after exercise. Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) stimulates the adrenal cortex. More specifically, it stimulates secretion of glucocorticoids such as cortisol. The decline in cortisol after exercise is possibly due to the decreasing ACTH, while subduing the negative effects of intense weight training (perception of well-being and muscle soreness).

MRM’s PS Leads the Nutrition Industry MRM’s PS is derived from soy making it one of the most unique supplements on the market today. It has shown superb bioavailability. Based on the research that has been performed on PS, the supplement has the ability to support memory, concentration, and an increase in exercise performance.

Where Can I Buy MRM PS?
Bodybuilding.com Online Store

How Much Is it?
$24

Who Is PS For?

Athletes
Students
Seniors
Anyone Who Needs Increased Focus

How Many Servings Of PS Do I Receive?
60 servings

How Many Caps Should I Take?
Users should take 2-3 caps a day. If you wish you may decrease your dosage to 1-2 caps a day after one month of use.

How Long Will A Bottle Last?
3-4 weeks depending on dosing.

What Other MRM Products Can I Stack With PS?
You can take any MRM supplement while on PS. To aid in PS we recommend using Beyond Basics and Smart Blend.

References
Crook, T., Adderly, B. The Memory cure. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1998.
Khalsa, D.S. Brain Longevity. New York: Warner Books, 1997.
Kidd, P.M. Phosphatidylserine (PS), Number One Brain Booster. New Canaan, Conn.: Keats Publishing (Good Health Guide Series), 1998.
Klinkhammer, P., Szelies, B., Heiss, W.D. Effect of phosphatidylserine on cerebral glucose metabolism in Alzheimer’s disease. Cognitive Deterioration. 1:197-201, 1990

Coulaid
08-27-2006, 03:11 PM
S&S article on PS:
http://www.strengthandscience.com/august/article14.htm

391rippy
08-27-2006, 09:14 PM
cool. how much PS is needed for cortisol control?

also, will you guys be picking people to review this product?

Mr. Aries
08-27-2006, 10:05 PM
i think like 800mg per day or something.

dan7681
08-27-2006, 10:24 PM

Yup that's what I've seen recommended most often for cortisol lowering effects. Also 300mg or more is the recommended daily dose for memory.

I really like PS, it's been a staple for me the last 8 months or so.

IntensityX
08-27-2006, 11:09 PM

Yeah but that gets really expensive considering that there is only 100mgs of PS in one softgel.

If my math is right that's at least 1 bottle a week and 4 a month.And a months supply would run almost $100 just for the cortisol control aspects of PS.

dan7681
08-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Yeah but that gets really expensive considering that there is only 100mgs of PS in one softgel.

If my math is right that's at least 1 bottle a week and 4 a month.And a months supply would run almost $100 just for the cortisol control aspects of PS.

True it is expensive to run for cortisol lowering effects. But if you shop around you can get a months supply of 800mg daily dose for 45 bucks.

SeP
08-27-2006, 11:33 PM
So this is GOOD for a student? Will you guys have testers for the student/bber blend? :D

Coulaid
08-27-2006, 11:43 PM

800 it is.

Coulaid
08-27-2006, 11:45 PM
also, will you guys be picking people to review this product?

I'll find out..

Coulaid
08-27-2006, 11:50 PM
So this is GOOD for a student? Will you guys have testers for the student/bber blend? :D
It would be good for a student. However you will still need to log the hours behind the books... It's not gonna make you smarter on its own...I wish it did.. applied stats for business :( is gonna suck.

size
08-28-2006, 08:48 AM
This is a soy based PS product, correct? If so, how do you feel about the position that soy and/or cabbage based PS does not have the same effect as animal(bovine) based PS does?
Evidence on this matter seems to go both ways. Opinion?

Elliptical Envy
08-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Will this require a PCT? :confused:

MuZI
08-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Will this require a PCT? :confused:
Hi ETH.

This is a soy based PS product, correct? If so, how do you feel about the position that soy and/or cabbage based PS does not have the same effect as animal(bovine) based PS does?

Hey size, nice question. Here's my personal thoughts on it:

From what I've read, the reason BC-Phosphatidylserine (bovine) isn't used is due to fear of contamination (Mad Cow Disease).

Although it is true the fats attached to the serine in soy based are different than bovine

The fatty acid composition of phosphatidylserine derived from bovine brain and soya lecithin differ. Phosphatidylserine from soya lecithin contains mainly polyunsatured fatty acids, while phosphatidylserine derived from bovine brain contains mainly saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids, as well as some docosahexaenoic acid.

Here are some studies which might interest:

Effects of soy lecithin phosphatidic acid and phosphatidylserine complex (PAS) on the endocrine and psychological responses to mental stress.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15512856

In this study, we investigated the effects of soy lecithin phosphatidic acid and phosphatidylserine complex (PAS) supplementation on pituitary adrenal reactivity (ACTH, cortisol) and on the psychological response (Spielberger State Anxiety Inventory stress subscale) to a mental and emotional stressor.
Treatment with 400 mg PAS resulted in a pronounced blunting of both serum ACTH and cortisol, and salivary cortisol responses to the TSST, but did not affect heart rate. The effect was not seen with larger doses of PAS. With regard to the psychological response, 400 mg PAS seemed to exert a specific positive effect on emotional responses to the TSST.

There is one thing I found though that sticks out. It seems that soy based PS doesn't seem to improve memory as compared to the Bovine PS. This could be due to the fact Bovine PS is taken from a cow's brain and might include other things...

The influence of soy-derived phosphatidylserine on cognition in age-associated memory impairment.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11842880&dopt=Abstract

xxghostxx
08-28-2006, 02:54 PM

Very good question. There is an interesting thread chalked full of research over at the MAN forum if anyone is interested.

I'd love to see someones feedback who's used any dosing spectrum of the soy derived PS. Feedback in terms both of cognitive capacity/mental acuity as well as sports/fitness performance would be great.

Elliptical Envy
08-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Nice FAQ Muzi I hope I didn't ruin it with my foolishness. :D

GuyverX
07-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Very good question. There is an interesting thread chalked full of research over at the MAN forum if anyone is interested.

I'd love to see someones feedback who's used any dosing spectrum of the soy derived PS. Feedback in terms both of cognitive capacity/mental acuity as well as sports/fitness performance would be great.

ditto