PDA

View Full Version : Why is sodium so bad?

WanTanSoup
08-25-2006, 04:37 PM
I just want to know the facts

OmniPotentTitan
08-25-2006, 05:01 PM
it isnt, its something you want to watch if you have high blood pressure or other medical problems. Also you will need more water so having a salty food before playing a couple hours soccer will probably get you very dehydrated.

Control?
08-25-2006, 05:03 PM
^ Yes I think the main reason is high blood pressure. I think Ronnie Coleman said you need lots of sodium or something in your diet...I'm not sure I read that in his site somewhere

boyscouT
08-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Sodium is one of many electrolytes. With increased physical activity, the body's demand for electrolytes increases.

As OmniPotentTitan said, sodium is good for you. It's all about moderation ;).

lucubration.
08-25-2006, 05:08 PM
I just want to know the facts
good question.

"The Sodium Issue

Current health advice warns against too much sodium. This warning is based on research suggesting that eating high amounts of sodium may contribute to the development of high blood pressure in certain people. High blood pressure may then lead to heart disease, kidney disease or stroke.
Why Not Eliminate Sodium from the Diet?

Sodium is an absolutely necessary mineral for the human body. Without it, nerves and muscles would cease to function, the absorption of major nutrients would be impaired, and the body would not be able to maintain adequate water and mineral balance.
How Does Sodium Contribute to High Blood Pressure?

In a complex way, increased salt intake causes more fluid to be retained in the blood vessels. This increased volume of blood requires the heart to work harder to pump blood to all the tissues in the body. Increasing the blood’s volume within the enclosure of the circulatory system is one way that salt increases blood pressure.

Salt may also help elevate blood pressure through the action of the arterioles. Arterioles are blood vessels that dilate and constrict to regulate blood pressure and blood flow. By contracting under the influence of sodium, arterioles effectively increase the resistance to blood movement and lessen the volume of blood that is returned to the heart. This action also increases blood pressure.

Other mechanisms linking sodium with hypertension are less well understood. The extent to which each person responds to high intake of salt is probably genetically determined. Some people are more susceptible to the effects of sodium than others, and sodium sensitivity appears to increase with age.

At present, there is no accurate test to determine who may be sensitive to the effects of sodium. This is why the population overall is advised to limit sodium use."

http://health.rutgers.edu/factsheets/sodium.htm

alexclark
08-25-2006, 05:28 PM
In excess it increases blood pressure beyond healthy levels. The FDA recommends 1000mg of sodium for every 1000 calories in your diet. If your getting more than the recommended amount, its possible that the extra sodium will cause water retention so drink more water.

pyr0maniac
08-25-2006, 06:22 PM
What most people don't realise is you need to maintain a ratio of sodium to potassium otherwise a high sodium diet may lead to hypertension.

I ripped this off the net somewhere

"Most Americans do not get enough potassium in their diets. The recommended daily potassium intake is 4.7 grams a day. Athletes involved in prolonged, hard exercise may require more potassium a day. "

lucubration.
08-25-2006, 07:37 PM
What most people don't realise is you need to maintain a ratio of sodium to potassium otherwise a high sodium diet may lead to hypertension.

I ripped this off the net somewhere

"Most Americans do not get enough potassium in their diets. The recommended daily potassium intake is 4.7 grams a day. Athletes involved in prolonged, hard exercise may require more potassium a day. "

Is that why I love bananas so much? :D