PDA

View Full Version : New guy with Whey question

justcrash
08-25-2006, 11:25 AM
I am sure this is a dumb question, but is Whey a brand or a product? If it is a product, is there a brand everyone would suggest?

In addition, my trainer told me to eat an hour before I workout. I asked if a power bar would do the trick and he said that would help.

If I started using Whey, would I do that in lieu of the power bar or do both an hour before workout?

sensetarget
08-25-2006, 11:29 AM
I am sure this is a dumb question, but is Whey a brand or a product? If it is a product, is there a brand everyone would suggest?

In addition, my trainer told me to eat an hour before I workout. I asked if a power bar would do the trick and he said that would help.

If I started using Whey, would I do that in lieu of the power bar or do both an hour before workout?

Whey is a (my bad product, was thinking wrong) is the same crap as milk contains, milk contains casin and whey type protein and another 1 if I'm correct, cant remember.

Power bar 1 hr after workout? umm I would go for a full meal and take a protein shake before and after workout, make sure the one after workout is in water and u can add some oats to it, no fats.

tonym9428
Optimum Nutritions 100% whey is descent.

Cyto Sport is great

Matrix 5.0 is good

You should drink the whey about thirty to fourty minutes before you workout, but skip the protein bar and stick to some solid foods.

BigTitts
Whey is a product. Most people and me included think that Optimum nutrition produces the best whey per price. Power bar is just fine. Don't drink the whey before a workout. Drink it right after. Then drink it again at your next meal. The whey repairs your muscles. Rep me if this helps you bastard.

sensetarget
08-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Whey is a product. Most people and me included think that Optimum nutrition produces the best whey per price. Power bar is just fine. Don't drink the whey before a workout. Drink it right after. Then drink it again at your next meal. The whey repairs your muscles. Rep me if this helps you bastard.

can you tell us why not to drink it before a workout?

I like to have a meal and then 1 hr after a shake then 20 min later go lift.

plik
08-25-2006, 11:44 AM
can you tell us why not to drink it before a workout?

I like to have a meal and then 1 hr after a shake then 20 min later go lift.

Your body works hard to assimilate protein and that process will take away from the energy your body would otherwise use durring training. So, it's better to drink a protein shake right after a workout, that's when your body is "hungry" for it. And, if you eat a heavy meal before exercise, it might make you nauseous (although some people have no problem with this).

you should have some fruit, or other carbs before a workout, maybe an hour before. If you need something easy to carry for a pre-workout meal, then carry around an apple and eat that before you lift.

Powerbars aren't a fantastic solution for meal-replacement. If you need something quick afterwards, then buy MuscleMilk boxes, or keep powder protein in a shaker cup, and then add water when you're ready to drink it after training.

justcrash
08-25-2006, 11:45 AM

You are rep'd, my friend! :)

plik
08-25-2006, 11:51 AM
You are rep'd, my friend! :)

Wow... even after he called you a bastard?

justcrash
08-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Wow... even after he called you a bastard?

He was right, I AM a bastard! :D

justcrash
08-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Your body works hard to assimilate protein and that process will take away from the energy your body would otherwise use durring training. So, it's better to drink a protein shake right after a workout, that's when your body is "hungry" for it. And, if you eat a heavy meal before exercise, it might make you nauseous (although some people have no problem with this).

you should have some fruit, or other carbs before a workout, maybe an hour before. If you need something easy to carry for a pre-workout meal, then carry around an apple and eat that before you lift.

Powerbars aren't a fantastic solution for meal-replacement. If you need something quick afterwards, then buy MuscleMilk boxes, or keep powder protein in a shaker cup, and then add water when you're ready to drink it after training.

What I have been doing before workout is a yogurt and a powerbar. That is not the way to go, is what you are saying, correct?

plik
08-25-2006, 12:28 PM
What I have been doing before workout is a yogurt and a powerbar. That is not the way to go, is what you are saying, correct?

They're not bad. I don't mean to say that you're doing it wrong.

Powerbars have a lot of processed sugar, but that's on purpose and the product is designed for people who want fast sugar.

And to be fair, I like Powerbars much more than a lot of the other supplement bars and protein bars out there.

So, my point is, you're fine and Powerbars are perfectly okay to eat before training, but I like going a little more natural, like fruit. But that's me.

justcrash
08-25-2006, 12:55 PM
They're not bad. I don't mean to say that you're doing it wrong.

Powerbars have a lot of processed sugar, but that's on purpose and the product is designed for people who want fast sugar.

And to be fair, I like Powerbars much more than a lot of the other supplement bars and protein bars out there.

So, my point is, you're fine and Powerbars are perfectly okay to eat before training, but I like going a little more natural, like fruit. But that's me.

Cool, thanks! :)

justcrash
08-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Here is an issue I am having, maybe someone could help me (I hate to start another thread and be annoying):

I realize to lose weight you have to burn more calories a day then you are taking in. But I also want to build muscle as well, so I am eating 5-6 meals a day. Which I have been told I SHOULD be doing anyway since I am hypoglycemic but I've never listened.

Thus I am not burning more calories then I am taking in. Any advice?

plik
08-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Here is an issue I am having, maybe someone could help me (I hate to start another thread and be annoying):

I realize to lose weight you have to burn more calories a day then you are taking in. But I also want to build muscle as well, so I am eating 5-6 meals a day. Which I have been told I SHOULD be doing anyway since I am hypoglycemic but I've never listened.

Thus I am not burning more calories then I am taking in. Any advice?

You should eat 6 - 8 times a day, regardless of your goals. What you eat, and the quantity and quality of the food you eat will determine how your body responds to it.

What kind of foods are you eating now? Post up an example of a day's meals.

justcrash
08-25-2006, 06:12 PM
You should eat 6 - 8 times a day, regardless of your goals. What you eat, and the quantity and quality of the food you eat will determine how your body responds to it.

What kind of foods are you eating now? Post up an example of a day's meals.

Ok, but don't laugh! :)

5 AM Cup of yogurt and a power bar.
Hit Gym at 5:50, done at 7:15, shower and go to work.

8:15 AM Oatmeal with granola, one a day vitamin

10:30 AM Nutri system cup of chili (my wife bought a bunch of nutrisystem stuff and isn't eating it). Its about the size of a small dinty moore microwaveable cup.

12:45 Baked chicken, left over from dinner. A can of mandarin oranges.

3:00: Apple and nutrisystem bar-b-que beef over rice and beans.

6:00 PM Grilled Pork Chop, Steamed vegetables and salad w/ Italian dressing.

I drink water all day except for one cup of coffee in the morning.