PDA

View Full Version : Why do you need surplus calories to bulk?

oki9Sedo
08-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Why doesn't your body burn fat for energy while building muscle?

JustLost
08-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Because in a food shortage, all that would accomplish would be starving faster.

plik
08-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Why doesn't your body burn fat for energy while building muscle?

It does.

If you eat efficiently (meaning whole foods with natural nutrients and no processed anything), then youíll be able to build muscle and burn stored body fat.

I weigh 235 lbs, Iím 6í 2Ē, and I eat only 1,600 calories a day, but I eat very, very efficiently. And since Iíve started eating this way, Iíve been successfully adding good, lean muscle mass, while burning stored body fat, every month.

oki9Sedo
08-18-2006, 10:27 AM
It does.

If you eat efficiently (meaning whole foods with natural nutrients and no processed anything), then youíll be able to build muscle and burn stored body fat.

I weigh 235 lbs, Iím 6í 2Ē, and I eat only 1,600 calories a day, but I eat very, very efficiently. And since Iíve started eating this way, Iíve been successfully adding good, lean muscle mass, while burning stored body fat, every month.

Good for you plik. I'm trying to lose body fat and build muscle mass at the same time. I don't see how thats an impossible task if you're taking in 1-1.5g of protein per lb of lean body mass, lifting weights, drinking alot of water and getting enough sleep.

Mango
08-18-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm trying to lose body fat and build muscle mass at the same time. I don't see how thats an impossible task.

It just takes a lot longer, in my experience, at least. It took me, like, 9 months. But it was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa unnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!

alexclark
08-18-2006, 01:50 PM
It does.

The same thing happened to me when I went on a cut. I dropped to 500 cals below maintenance and lowered carbs down to roughly 25% of my diet. I wasnt gaining mass like I was while bulking with lots of excess calories, but my lifts all continued to climb in the gym.

I believe eating whole foods that arn't processed lets you get the most out of every calorie. For example 100 calories of ezekiel whole grain bread will beat 100 calories of white bread because your body will be able to use the ezekiel bread's nutrients for a longer period of time since it digests slower. Leading to way more growth and recovery.

plik
08-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks oki9Sedo.

You'll be shocked to learn that I only have about 150 grams of protein a day, but I'm still able to add a few pounds of muscle every month.

I do, however, supplement amino acids, and I think that has made all the difference. When you have amino acids in place, then your body can process the protein much more efficiently. Otherwise, itís my opinion that the extra protein does nothing more than stress out your kidneys.

grapemaster
08-18-2006, 02:37 PM
yeh i think the key here is the time issue, and a lot of ppl do this method that want to stay lean all year round and slowly grow, ppl with a lot of muscle already then the bulk/cut becomes a more effective than somebody with not that much or starting out

magicre
08-18-2006, 02:39 PM
It does.

If it's not too much trouble or there's a place you already have posted it, could I see a sample day of what you eat?

plik
08-18-2006, 02:44 PM
If it's not too much trouble or there's a place you already have posted it, could I see a sample day of what you eat?

Several people have asked the same thing, and I'm putting together a typical day for me, along with the calorie count of each meal and my workout schedule.

I'll probably post it in a new thread, but PM me if you'd like and I'll keep you updated.

magicre
08-18-2006, 03:02 PM
i'll do that, thanks. :)