PDA

View Full Version : SUSTAIN BARS™ Feedback

Twin Peak
08-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Can everyone please put your SUSTAIN Bars™ feedback here. This is for the BARS only, not the protein.

Please comment on whatever you feel is appropriate. Also, rate the flavor on a scale of 1-10.

Beast
08-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Just ate my Sustain bar.

Nutrition-wise I think the bar is great. No glycerine or sugar alcohols, and all natural flavors. The macronutrient breakdown is closer to an actual meal than other bars. I give the nutrition profile a 9/10.

Taste... the bar tastes like something, but I just can't place my finger on it... I will have to eat more to figure it out. The bar's consistency was good, it didn't crumble or anything and was not too dry. I give the flavor a 7/10. It was good, but didn't taste like peanut butter fudge to me.

Final Score 8/10

TheUnlikelyToad
08-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Got my package today. :)

I ate my bar postworkout... I like tha box idea. It is novel and will stand out from tha rest of tha pack. As stated before, tha font could use an improvement, perhaps a slightly lighter/brighter color scheme.

As far as taste goes, it tastes like it's from Egypt... Well, at least that's what tha box reads. ;) Seriously though, Beast hit it on tha head. There is something weird going on with this bar. Kinda chemically, kinda tastes like plastic pieces smells? You guys should look into this and I'm not trying to start a commotion. Texture-wise it reminded me of a chewy peanut butter egg and had a similiar look but molded into a bar. Did it taste like a PB egg? No. Did it taste like fudge? No... but at least it did have a peanut butter flavor.

Taste/ Flavor: 7
Presentation: 8.5
Selling point: Price
Overall: 6.5 - 7

Could it be tha honey and/or soy that makes for tha odd overtones?

Mr. Aries
08-16-2006, 07:30 PM
here's my review..

i was hungry..
i saw the bar in my mail box.
i ate it in 20 secs :D

It tasted awesome to me.. I have had other bars but this one tastes different.. it wasn't gooey, or creamy, it's hard to describe the texture.. The great thing about this bar is that there was NO aftertaste, which I really loved...

btw, I'll be the dude jacking all the Sustain bars at the Europa Supershow.. Thanks DS crew for understanding :D

TheUnlikelyToad
08-16-2006, 07:44 PM
it's hard to describe the texture..

More I process this, sorta like a Labrada Lean Body Gold bar?

What bars are 'creamy'?

I don't think I've had one of those...

Mr. Aries
08-16-2006, 07:51 PM
More I process this, sorta like a Labrada Lean Body Gold bar?

What bars are 'creamy'?

I don't think I've had one of those...

sorry if I said "creamy".. I meant "chewy"... like most bars with syrup-like consistency... This one kinda just breaks off.. It doesn't crumble like a cookie, but it isn't chewy either.

john

TheUnlikelyToad
08-16-2006, 10:02 PM
sorry if I said "creamy".. I meant "chewy"... like most bars with syrup-like consistency... This one kinda just breaks off.. It doesn't crumble like a cookie, but it isn't chewy either.

john

I guess our definition of chewy is different.

Not hard chewy, but soft & moist chewy.

Mine was partially melted though.

Mr. Aries
08-16-2006, 10:15 PM
mine was also partially melted, and I was really hungry.. I almost swallowed the bar entirely in about 10 secs.

uhockey
08-17-2006, 03:41 AM
I can just see, laugh, and chuckle at Aries devouring the bar. Do you even remember what it tastes like? ;)

HalleluYAH
08-17-2006, 06:25 AM
Here is my review of the Sustain Bar:

Ingredients: I found the ingredients (see below) in the bar to be less than ideal, however much better than the majority of bars on the market. For instance, you have dozens of bars touting the whole "3g net carbs" thing; blah blah blah. Then you eat these bars, they taste good, and gastric emptying and digestion become an issue becuase of the sucralose and/or sugar alchohols go largely undigested. While this is great for net impoact on Glycemic Load, it is a digestion nightmare.

The Sustain bar is a honest blend of simple ingredients. Even my current staple bar has more ingredients than I can pronounce, though it has zero sucralose. ;) I like the fact that you know exactly what you are getting with this bar, and there are seemingly no chemicals, and thus this is, IMO, a good nutritional supplement. Sub-Rating 8/10

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Bar (70g)
Servings Per Container: 1

Calories 300
Calories from Fat 80
Total Fat 9g
Saturated 1.5g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 0mg
Total Carbohydrates 35g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 16g
Protein 20g

Texture: It was descent texture, especially The texture reminded me of a Milky Way or Three Muskateers bar. I am more of a snickers guy, as I like crunchy nuts, but for those who like a soft texture, Sustain Bar is worth a shot. Sub-Rating 7.5/10

Taste: Now this will not be fair becuase I slammed a Sustain shake immediately before eating the bar, and compared to the shake, the bar's flavor was pale in comparison. It was a pleasureable experience though, and I would definitely eat again. Flavor also reminded me of a Three Muskateers bar with a hint of peanut butter. Sub-Rating 7.5/10

Overall Product Rating: 7.5/10

(Btw, the Sustain protein powder scored much better. ;))

redvision
08-17-2006, 08:35 AM
I haven't forget guys, I'll review them as soon as they come in the mail... Hope they will not be completely melt when they come in, it has been pretty hot in here for the past week or so.

Till then,

Redvision

jdiritto
08-17-2006, 08:38 AM
i had my sustain bar this morning. I had a test at the hospital and couldnt eat or drink water after midnight last night (which is when I get off work). by the time my apt was over at about 945am i was starving and so dehydrated. I ate the bar immediately after leaving the office in the hospital and chugged a bottle of water. it is a pretty good bar texture wise, the taste was unique. It had a good first taste, than there was this lil after taste that was kind of weird.. but nothing too bad to ruin the overall taste of the bar (if that maekes sense)

its been about an hour since eating the bar, and im not all that hungry, so it fills appeptite fairly well!

Mr. Aries
08-17-2006, 09:48 AM
I can just see, laugh, and chuckle at Aries devouring the bar. Do you even remember what it tastes like? ;)

*blush*

heheheh... TO be honest, yesterday I was up at 5:30AM, slammed with meetings and projects, and then got home at 4:30PM and saw the bar sitting on my front porch. I basically tore pack open like it was jessica alba's panties and swallowed the bar with bout two bites. My neighbors were like :eek:

:D

DS crew... Europa supershow..... that's all i gotta say.. Europa Supershow...

uhockey
08-17-2006, 10:14 AM
What's this about Jessica Alba? This thread just got 5 stars from me. ;)

jrkarp
08-17-2006, 10:50 AM
So my secretary brought me in a pack from DS, and what do I find but a Sustain Bar (Peanut Butter Fudge) and a baggie of Sustain powder inside. Of course I couldn't wait to try the bar...

Taste: 9/10
Great peanut butter taste. Much better than I've found in other similarly flavored protein sources. No chemical taste, not overly sweet, either. It's actually a very pleasant, moderately sweet, very natural flavor - doesn't taste artificial in the least. The only reason that I didn't give it 10/10 is because the flavor is peanut butter fudge, and there wasn't a ton of chocolate flavor, except for the coating. In any case, this is by far the best protein bar I have tried.

Texture: 10/10
Even more than the flavor (which was exceptional), this is where the Sustain bar sets itself apart. Instead of a very very dense texture like most other bars have, the texture is much lighter - not like a cake, but somewhere between a cake and a regular bar. Very very nice. Additionally, and this is big, the bar is not incredibly dry like most bars are - it isn't overly moist, but it's got the level of moisture of a candy bar.

Packaging: 7/10
Comes in a plain foil wrapper inside a very nice box with the date of manufacturing and expiration date on it. I gave this a 7/10 for two reasons - first, I just like my bars in a foil wrapper without a box, and second, because I'm not a fan of the steel/stencil motif they used. I'm a bigger fan of the labels we see on XCEED, MP, etc.

Nutrition: 9/10
This could easily be a 10/10 for most people, but due to the sugar content I made it a 9. The sugar is from honey, so it's not like it's HFCS or anything, and the sugar in this bar will never keep me from eating it. The protein is good - a blend of sodium caseinate, whey protein concentrate, and soy protein isolate. I like to have several different types of protein in a protein snack like this, so this works out well. Soy is not a problem in small doses.

Well, that's it. If you have any questions or comments, fire away.

Stonecoldtruth
08-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Little backstory on my receiving of the bar/protein powder today. I work at home doing Tier 3 technical support for Direct TV, and the Fedex lady POUNDS on the door while I'm on the phone with the customer, so I have to hit mute and yell out I'll be right there do not leave. So I then put my customer on hold and run to the door, the Fedex lady is trying to drive away.. I run in front of the truck and yell STOP! She gets out, calls me crazy, and then gives me my package.

Taste: 9/10
I am basing my taste rating on the fact that this is a protein bar, and not some candy bar. So when comparing it to all of the other protein bars I've tried this one is literally heaven. The only reason I did not give it a 10 is that I am not a big fan of chocolate and the chocolate coating tasted like hershey's dark chocolate a tad. This may be a huge benefit for others though. It was void of any chalky or bitter aftertaste that many other protein bars have, I am very happy with this bar and could eat it on a daily basis.

What else can be said? It is moist yet somehow firm, it isn't too chewy and almost melts in your mouth. The texture reminded me of those little powdered donuts we all used to eat as kids. Spot on guys, spot on.

Packaging: 8/10
By getting an alternate font, making the font bigger, and the DS logo larger I think this packaging could be top notch.

Nutrition: 9.5/10
The sugar content alone is what kept this at a 9.5.

Keep an eye out for my review of the Protein Powder as well, once I figure out how to measure it out that is.. I've just got a giant bag of protein powder here!!!

SCT

uhockey
08-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Nice review SCT.

Sixpack
08-17-2006, 03:50 PM
I would assume one serving of the powder is about 1oz or 28 grams weighed

deserusan
08-17-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm going to judge this hard and hope you respect the constructive criticism because this product has a lot of crossover potential for Designer and I want to see you guys do well.

Taste: 6 out of 10

In my opinion the taste could be improved upon. I feel it is important to always match your actual taste with what the label says and If I bought this I might get pissed off because it didn't. I have almost every bar out there so if you want to compete this needs to be improved. Also, keep in mind that right now I am dieting so anything sweet is amplified and sought after.

Nutrtional Profile: 8 out 10

This is a well formulated bar. However, since you are reaching out to a broader audience with this I feel you need to highlight how your sugar sources are not unhealthy per se. Some people will see the sugar content and put it back down on the shelf. Lastly, don't be *******s and use the sugar alcohol gimmick if you decide to switch things up.

Packaging: 4 out 10

I love all the designs you guys use for your bottles and felt you missed the boat with these. The first issue I had was with the box. I don't feel it is necessary and is just over-packaging. No other company does this and I feel this won't translate well for Joe Q Public looking for a good bar to snack on. Secondly, it was hard for me to tell this was a Designer Supplement's product because your logo has a lot of detail which gets masked when scaled down. I almost feel you guys need a second trademarked logo for this just so it is more recognizeable. Maybe this is a new route you can take for protein powders and bars you are coming out with.

uhockey
08-17-2006, 07:24 PM
I don't like the individual boxes either, thanks for the feedback des.

Blap Blaow
08-18-2006, 03:37 AM
it probably wouldn't matter to most, but if the boxes are recyclable they'd get a 12/10 from me.

fitnfirm
08-18-2006, 01:54 PM
These bars sound pretty good after reading the reviews. SCT you did a very nice review! I like the amount of protein, and the fact that SCT says it like melts in your mouth like a powdered donut :D Gee if anybody loved me they might send me one :)

Has DS decided how these will be priced?

uhockey
08-18-2006, 01:58 PM
If you weren't so busy promoting, you'd have seen our thread asking for testers. ;)

They'll be priced very excellently from what I've been told.....I think people will be suprised/impressed.

fitnfirm
08-18-2006, 02:18 PM
If you weren't so busy promoting, you'd have seen our thread asking for testers. ;)

They'll be priced very excellently from what I've been told.....I think people will be suprised/impressed.

Drats! You got me on that one ;) Ill keep my eye out for them. Too bad DS will not be at the "O" and too bad FnF will not be at the Europa.

TimoteoS
08-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Texture- 9/10- The texture of this bar was awesome, the outside was a nice chocolate coating while the inside reminded me somewhat of a cake. It was very good and actually had a very nice texture compared to other protein bars.
Taste- 8/10- The taste was a mild chocolate coating around a mild peanut butter cake. The flavors were mild in my opinion with a hint of peanut butter and chocolate, nonetheless it was very pleasent and something I could probably eat everyday.
Overall-9/10- Very solid macro's, ingredients and taste. This is def. something I would love to have more of on hand for time's when I am unable to have a meal, or even in between meals while bulking. I have not tryed any of the newer protein bars on the market but this is a very solid choice in my opinion.
I look forward to reviewing the shake!

uhockey
08-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Texture- 9/10- The texture of this bar was awesome, the outside was a nice chocolate coating while the inside reminded me somewhat of a cake. It was very good and actually had a very nice texture compared to other protein bars.
Taste- 8/10- The taste was a mild chocolate coating around a mild peanut butter cake. The flavors were mild in my opinion with a hint of peanut butter and chocolate, nonetheless it was very pleasent and something I could probably eat everyday.
Overall-9/10- Very solid macro's, ingredients and taste. This is def. something I would love to have more of on hand for time's when I am unable to have a meal, or even in between meals while bulking. I have not tryed any of the newer protein bars on the market but this is a very solid choice in my opinion.
I look forward to reviewing the shake!

Thanks. We look forward to your review! :)

Zachattack43
08-20-2006, 02:14 AM
I got my bar and had it for lunch that day

Taste I liked the taste. I felt the bar tasted very good considering its healthy profile. 8/10

TextureThis bar had much different texture to it, most bars i eat are hard and compressed, while i was glad to taste something wasnt, while the taste was interesting. I couldnt help but think the stuff inside was like whipped or fluffed for it was a light peanut cream to me
10/10

Design
I love the design its much different from other bars, esspecially the box. It will grab attention away from all those other bars that are just wrapped. i was impressed with the design although i think the font of Sustain should be bigger and bolder. The nutriton profile was a little hard to read on the other side plus it was interesting to see this was made in Egypt
7/10

Formula I like the healthy profile of no sugar alcohols and all, but i was hoping the protein content would be higher close to the amount of carbs, but im sure that would have made the taste go down
8/10

uhockey
08-20-2006, 03:08 AM
The protein v. carb ratio is pretty ideal when you look at it based on the diabetic exchange/glycemic index. I understand some wanting more protein, but I really don't think that's necessary as this isn't MRP bar (too low of cals) but more meant to be used as a "I need something on the go and don't want any ****ty fillers or sugar alcohols"

Sixpack
08-20-2006, 06:02 AM
Well first I would like to thank Mike and the DS team for letting me try the protein and the bars. I will say I think I should of tasted the bar first because it will be damn hard to live up too the taste of the protein. I like to eat protein bars frozen or really cold. WHy? cause it takes longer to eat and I want to enjoy it. I don't eat many bars , actually I don't really eat any at all just cause a good one is hard to come by. I did enjoy VPX's new zero impact bar as the ingredients are solid and the "sustain bar" matched up very well with it

Taste I liked the taste. I felt the bar tasted very good considering its healthy profile. I would of like to have more PB taste. Not overpowering at all
7/10

Texture
I really don't care about texture at all but I liked this as it was hard on the outide and sofer in the middle.
8/10

Design
I think this is wear it sticks out from the rest. THe design makes this stick out from other bars. And personally the box does not bother me . Its unique in its own way and hell if you don't use it in the future no big deal, but I do think its cool in its own way.
8/10

Ingredient Makeup-
Well I am not a big fan of the 16grams of sugar even if its from honey I would rather see the number at about 5-6 grams. I guess also I am not a fan of honey taste either. I can understand the 20grams of protein in a bar. I would have to add more fat to this bar if I want to use it as a meal, but as Mike said its not made to be a meal unlike VPX bar with 20+gs of fat. Overall in the top 3 as far as ingredients for sure.
9/10

OVerall the bar was a protein bar , very good ingredient makeup ,but prob something I won't buy on a regular basis as I don't buy protein bars in general . I usually opt for Zero impact MRP or Instones MRP. As its just as easy to add water to a shaker as it is to open up a protein bar. IF DS comes out with a MRP I will make the change instantly. The protein on the other hand will be a staple for me and is the BEST tasting I have had yet.
Thank you again Mike.
J

uhockey
08-20-2006, 06:12 AM
Good review. I, too, would decrease the sugars and add more fiber, but the goal is to appeal to a wide audience with this product and I must say the reviews have been quite solid.....but nothing compared to the protein powder. :D

A Perfect Flaw
08-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Outer Appearence- I found the box idea a nice change of pace from the traditional foil packaging that is so prevalent among most protein bars today. If I was browsing a rack this would jump out at me. Perhaps the only critque I would make is to enhance your logo a bit more, mabye etch it in foil to make it pop to the consumer.

Bar Appearence- Nice smooth coating all along the outer shell of the bar, I am a dark chocolate lover and I enjoyed the subtle aroma that wafted over my senses before I took my first bite.

Texture-I have tried my fair share of protein bars and I most say this is a unique product in terms of its middle of the road texture. Not quite a nougat and not quite creamy it falls pleasently in the middle of the two, so you get brownie points for that accomplishmet.

Taste- The outer shell tasted like dark chocolate not a high end one but a dark choclate nonetheless. Its amazing how many companies butcher Dark chocolate by overloading it with sweeteners, its supposed to be a more intense the milk chocolate so I found it quite ideal to my pallet. The chocolate plays a nice supporting role to the star that is peanut butter, I definetly could tell that I was eating something pb and while not right out of the jar good it was quite tasty for a protein bar I picked up the subtle tones of honey that you guys used and it paired pretty well with the pb. Out of 10 I'll give this bar a 7.5 now that on total taste where a one is a ****ty trioplex bar and a 10 would be a snickers. Oh and no after taste whatsoever Kudos to you for this DS.

Nutrition- 300 cals 9 grams fat 35 grams carbs, 20 grams protein. Nice nutritional profile, I do however feel that this would be suited to a person bulking or maintaining as the 16 grams of sugar would make it a treat on a cut diet at least for me. It is from honey so it is partially forgiven.

Overall- 8/10 this was quite the tasty bar and I was pleasently surprised on the whole that DS was able to pull this off on their first product. I personally would like to see a little less sugar but its nothing major. Also I did detect a slight hint of something that I just couldn't place I could've sworn it was anisette but mabye thats just wishful thinking. :)

young_squatter
08-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Bar Review

Taste: I thought it was pretty good, tasted different then anything ive ever had before thats for sure. Didnt have a very strong peanut butter taste to it but good none the less, and the nutrition profile is awesome :). 7.5/10

Texture: Very different then any protein bar ive tried, this one had a nice texture to it, this was my favorite thing about the bar. 10/10

Design: Well right when I got the bar I loved the box it came in, lol. Ive never had a protein bar that came in a box before. It made me feel all special. And then the bar was wrapped inside the box, really liked the whole design and the box was a nice touch. 10/10

Formula: One of the best formulas on the market in my honest opinion. No sugar alchols or anything like that, and I like the overall macro breakdown. Just enough fats, just enough carbs and just enough protein. Perfect for a snack in my opinon. 10/10

Overall I highly recommend this Protein Bar, Ill be picking up a box as soon as they are out, college is coming so need something thats quick. :)

Great job DS.

TinyMan
08-21-2006, 05:15 PM
SUSTAIN Bar review:

I'm not sure whether or not Designer Supplements is going to use these boxes when they are selling these bars normally - I would hope not. The extra packaging just creates more waste (save the whales, hippies). Neat looking packaging, would likely make me want to at least pick up and glance at the bar, however the box is superfluous - I'd rather just see a foil-wrapped bar with the labeling on that. Ditch the box, print on the foil. And why not just call it "SUSTAIN Bar" inside of "The SUSTAIN Bar"? Again, just seems kind of unnecessary to have 'the' in the phrase.

Packaging: 5/10, and I may be a little generous!

Taste: Peanut Butter Fudge

Alright, they got the fudge part. The outer coating to this bar is pretty damn good, so resist licking the wrapper - it's just going to make you look weird. I was fairly impressed with this - it's not a somewhat bitter taste that often accompanies chocolate shells of bars. As for the peanut butter, I'm not quite so impressed. If I didn't know this was peanut butter fudge beforehand, I very well may not have guessed the peanut butter part - it doesn't really taste like it to me. Still pretty good, but not really what I was expecting.

Subrating:
9.5/10 for the chocolate coating
7/10 for the peanut butter

Overall for taste:
7.5/10 for this bar

Consistency:

Another problem that plagues bars is being overly dry, or overly tough. Not the case here - out of the bars that I've had, it's only real competitor in this catagory is the Sheeshbar (and that was pretty darn good). No problems with the texture - very smooth and easy to eat. Doesn't crumble at all, a nice benefit if you're traveling.

Consistency rating: 10/10 - I just don't have any problems with it.

Profile:
Certainly more geared towards someone bulking - it's a quick way to get 300 calories, and not a half bad way about doing it (other than the price that bars generally bring with them). Maybe a bit heavy on the sugar side, however nothing that is of concern. One of the better profiles out there! I might prefer micellar casein over sodium caseinate, however micellar has far more tendancy to clump and have mixing problems - I'd imagine it's much harder to work with.

Profile rating: 8/10 - I would prefer micellar over sodium (casein), and probably a bit less in the sugars.

Overall: 8/10

It would depend on the price! The profile is good, the texture is good, the taste is acceptable (the weak point of this bar is the taste IMO). With a reasonable price, I could see myself keeping some of these around my apartment for when I'm running late to my next semiconductors lab.

OneBetter
08-21-2006, 06:12 PM
First, I'd like to thank the DS/DN crew for selecting me to try out their new Sustain protein bars. I just got them today, and I was eager to try them

Nutritional Facts

Peanut Butter Fudge
Total Fat 9g
Sat Fat 1.5g
Total Carb 35g
Fiber 2g
Sugar 16g
Protein 20g

Outer Appearance/ Box:
My first impression was that the box as a whole was good. I was looking at the labels, but when I flipped it over I was trying to read the front and it was pretty hard. The print on the boxes does not stand out at all, and sort of blends with the box. I think it could use some improvement as far as making it jump out at you so to speak. I also think that putting all the bars in individual boxes might be a waste (and probably drive the cost up some).

Taste: 6.5/10
The taste was very mild. It wasn't overwhelmingly peanut butter or fudge. To me, it was a little plain. It doesn't have any aftertaste though, and there is no other strange tastes, but it's almost like you try it and the flavor is gone after it initially hits your tongue. There was a distinct fudge flavor to it, but not really a peanut butter taste that I'm use to. (I eat natural peanut butter a lot) I wouldn't [i]mind[i/] eating one of these everyday since I don't think the flavor would ever get old due to it's mild taste.

Texture: 9/10
I had to comment on this because it was very different from other protein bars I've tried. The bar is covered in fudge and the inside is very light and (the appearance) almost reminds me of vanilla cake. The majority of protein bars I've tried take a lot of effort to chew, and seems like they're made of rubber. The Sustain bar was much better as it has a very light texture to it.

Nutritional Profile: 9/10
Really, not to much needs to be said here. DS/DN did a great job bringing a high quality bar to the market. No added garbage, chemicals, etc, and it even has honey. :)

Overall: 8/10
I don't know the price yet, so I can't really give it a value rating, but I would recommend this bar over the majority of other bars out there. Overall, I really don't care as much about taste as I do the ingredients. That's why I gave this bar a good rating, but the flavoring could be improved.

dito
08-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Taste: 6/10. I guess for what's in it once can't complain. It's a bar that tastes like it meets label claims. There was a certain taste that was kinda 'flowerey' that I liked. But the aftertaste of the bar was kind of strong. Not sure if flavor could get better with it still having the ingredient profile.

Texture: 9/10 The bar was very moist. Dry bars are blah

packaging: I don't give a feck!

Elliptical Envy
08-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Taste: 6/10. I guess for what's in it once can't complain. It's a bar that tastes like it meets label claims. There was a certain taste that was kinda 'flowerey' that I liked. But the aftertaste of the bar was kind of strong. Not sure if flavor could get better with it still having the ingredient profile.

Texture: 9/10 The bar was very moist. Dry bars are blah

packaging: I don't give a feck!

Gotta love a review by Dito. I'm interested in the 'flowerey' taste that you like can you explain that some more Dito?

Truth Speaker
08-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Can everyone please put your SUSTAIN Bars™ feedback here. This is for the BARS only, not the protein.

Please comment on whatever you feel is appropriate. Also, rate the flavor on a scale of 1-10.

Yo where's mine?

ThermoLife International LLC
3941 E Chandler Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85048

uhockey
08-22-2006, 03:20 AM
I'm going to steal OneBetter's format, because it looked nice and I'm lazy at 4:50am. Yesterday I was fortunate enough to receive 3 Sustain Bars and a sample of Sustain Protein. Apparently DS realized who is doing the vast majority of their online marketing and handling FAR too many PMs and E-mails for his liking and decided it'd be a good idea if he knew something about the new product. :)

Nutritional Facts

Peanut Butter Fudge
Total Fat 9g
Sat Fat 1.5g
Total Carb 35g
Fiber 2g
Sugar 16g
Protein 20g

Looks good. Of course more fiber and less sugar would be nice, but the raw honey is a definite plus and therefor the sugar is negligible compared to the junk carbs in SO many other products. No sugar alcohols, no trans fats, no artificial ingredients.....if I were in marketing for DS I'd be trying my best to get these in stock at Trader Joes and/or Whole Foods.

Outer Appearance/ Box:
I must admit, it is a little different. That's not to say it's a bad thing, it's just different. It reminds me of a frozen treat as opposed to a protein bar....which of course entailed me popping one of these badboys in the freezer (more on that later.) My one criticism would be that the font is blurry and definitely needs improvement. IMO, a celophane wrapper would be better, but I like the box too.

Taste: 8.5/10
Mild, smooth, sweet enough, I love it. Apparently our testers have such great diets that they've never eaten true "Peanut Butter Fudge." As some of you may realize, peanut butter fudge rarely has STRONG chocoate flavor, but instead focuses on the Peanut Butter flavor with a fudge undertone. This bar, IMO, tastes like peanut butter fudge should and is VERY aptly named. In my years of eating protein bars (6+ at this time) there are only two I've tried that are "better," and neither is even close in terms of ingredients or meeting label claims (Labrada and Chef Jay.) It's better than the Snickers Marathon bars, it's better than the new Payday Protein bar, it's delicious.

Texture: 9/10 and 10/10 frozen
The paper box and the fact that someone compared it to a Klondike bar got me thinking. Bar 1 was eaten warm from my front porch and had the chocolate covered "cake-like" consistency many had mentioned. Very similar to some of the Labrada gold bars, but slightly different and somehow more satisfying to the tongue.

The second bar was eaten as part of breakfast this morning after spending 10+ hours in the freezer. At first I was kinda worried that the bar would be too hard and as such delay my breakfast (I usually wake up STARVING,) but thankfully I was wrong. Much like the previously mentioned Klondike bar, the outside was crisp and hard, the inside was chewy and creamy. Not only was the texture even BETTER frozen, but the flavor actually seemed STRONGER. Once I start getting these by the box I'll definitely be moving some to the hospital employee freezer for those times when I simply can't take the time for a meal. I REALLY wish we'd have had these during my surgery rotation.

The third bar will be sampled by my mother who attests that every protein bar she's tried outside of Snickers Marathon and Cliff Chocolate Peanut Butter is "disgusting."

My only complaint is the low fiber, otherwise I've not seen a better bar on the market, period.

Overall: 8.5/10
Some will call me biased, but since I don't care I guess that's okay. Coming from someone with NO love for protein bars and a 100% clean diet for months and months at a time, this rating is stellar. To be blunt, whole food meals are ALWAYS best (you can't beat the combination of macro and micronutrients) but this is a pretty damned ample replacement, especially for those of us who aren't huge fans of artificial/junk ingredients.

I still remember the day Steve IMed me to tell me we were contemplating a protein bar. Upon receipt of nothing but the ingredients, macros, calories, and potential for a box of 12 for around $15-20 I simply said we'd be crazy to not do it. Despite my approval, I was still skeptical until I tasted it myself. Now all I can say is "Damn Steve, you were right, these are delicious."

Twin Peak
08-22-2006, 03:50 AM
I'm going to steal OneBetter's format, because it looked nice and I'm lazy at 4:50am. Yesterday I was fortunate enough to receive 3 Sustain Bars and a sample of Sustain Protein. Apparently DS realized who is doing the vast majority of their online marketing and handling FAR too many PMs and E-mails for his liking and decided it'd be a good idea if he knew something about the new product. :)

Nutritional Facts

Peanut Butter Fudge
Total Fat 9g
Sat Fat 1.5g
Total Carb 35g
Fiber 2g
Sugar 16g
Protein 20g

Looks good. Of course more fiber and less sugar would be nice, but the raw honey is a definite plus and therefor the sugar is negligible compared to the junk carbs in SO many other products. No sugar alcohols, no trans fats, no artificial ingredients.....if I were in marketing for DS I'd be trying my best to get these in stock at Trader Joes and/or Whole Foods.

Outer Appearance/ Box:
I must admit, it is a little different. That's not to say it's a bad thing, it's just different. It reminds me of a frozen treat as opposed to a protein bar....which of course entailed me popping one of these badboys in the freezer (more on that later.) My one criticism would be that the font is blurry and definitely needs improvement. IMO, a celophane wrapper would be better, but I like the box too.

Mild, smooth, sweet enough, I love it. Apparently our testers have such great diets that they've never eaten true "Peanut Butter Fudge." As some of you may realize, peanut butter fudge rarely has STRONG chocoate flavor, but instead focuses on the Peanut Butter flavor with a fudge undertone. This bar, IMO, tastes like peanut butter fudge should and is VERY aptly named. In my years of eating protein bars (6+ at this time) there are only two I've tried that are "better," and neither is even close in terms of ingredients or meeting label claims (Labrada and Chef Jay.) It's better than the Snickers Marathon bars, it's better than the new Payday Protein bar, it's delicious.

The paper box and the fact that someone compared it to a Klondike bar got me thinking. Bar 1 was eaten warm from my front porch and had the chocolate covered "cake-like" consistency many had mentioned. Very similar to some of the Labrada gold bars, but slightly different and somehow more satisfying to the tongue.

The second bar was eaten as part of breakfast this morning after spending 10+ hours in the freezer. At first I was kinda worried that the bar would be too hard and as such delay my breakfast (I usually wake up STARVING,) but thankfully I was wrong. Much like the previously mentioned Klondike bar, the outside was crisp and hard, the inside was chewy and creamy. Not only was the texture even BETTER frozen, but the flavor actually seemed STRONGER. Once I start getting these by the box I'll definitely be moving some to the hospital employee freezer for those times when I simply can't take the time for a meal. I REALLY wish we'd have had these during my surgery rotation.

The third bar will be sampled by my mother who attests that every protein bar she's tried outside of Snickers Marathon and Cliff Chocolate Peanut Butter is "disgusting."

My only complaint is the low fiber, otherwise I've not seen a better bar on the market, period.

Some will call me biased, but since I don't care I guess that's okay. Coming from someone with NO love for protein bars and a 100% clean diet for months and months at a time, this rating is stellar. To be blunt, whole food meals are ALWAYS best (you can't beat the combination of macro and micronutrients) but this is a pretty damned ample replacement, especially for those of us who aren't huge fans of artificial/junk ingredients.

I still remember the day Steve IMed me to tell me we were contemplating a protein bar. Upon receipt of nothing but the ingredients, macros, calories, and potential for a box of 12 for around $15-20 I simply said we'd be crazy to not do it. Despite my approval, I was still skeptical until I tasted it myself. Now all I can say is "Damn Steve, you were right, these are delicious."

Told ya so. ;)

A Perfect Flaw
08-22-2006, 05:26 AM

Nutritional Facts

Peanut Butter Fudge
Total Fat 9g
Sat Fat 1.5g
Total Carb 35g
Fiber 2g
Sugar 16g
Protein 20g

Outer Appearance/ Box:

Don't know about the "best nutritional profile" but its definetly in my top 3.

sawastea
08-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Was finally able to try the bar yesterday afternoon before my double header. The packaging of the bar in the box was cute, but not needed. When you sell these, will they come in a box with 10-15 bars in smaller boxes or just in the wrappers?

The taste was good and it wasn't very dry. The bars were a little small for my liking but they were satisfying (satiety) for a few hours thereafter. I kind of wish there was more protein in there and less CHO's. These seem like an ideal 'pre-sports' bar, which tickles my fancy :eek:

When it's all said and done, these will rank in my top 5 bars. I also like how it doesn't contain any glycerine or sugar alcohols.

8/10

:cool:

uhockey
08-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Was finally able to try the bar yesterday afternoon before my double header. The packaging of the bar in the box was cute, but not needed. When you sell these, will they come in a box with 10-15 bars in smaller boxes or just in the wrappers?

The taste was good and it wasn't very dry. The bars were a little small for my liking but they were satisfying (satiety) for a few hours thereafter. I kind of wish there was more protein in there and less CHO's. These seem like an ideal 'pre-sports' bar, which tickles my fancy :eek:

When it's all said and done, these will rank in my top 5 bars. I also like how it doesn't contain any glycerine or sugar alcohols.

8/10

Boxes of 12, with the boxes, for now. :)

They are definitely a nice pre-sports bar, or something for between double headers. :D

Glad you liked it.

young_squatter
08-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Man I should of tired mine frozen, Im a big fan of anything cold. Why didnt I think of that. I will sure be buying these when they come out, espeically for that price you mentioned uhockey. The bar is one of my favs and no sugar alchols or unhealthy fats which makes me one happy customer.

uhockey
08-23-2006, 02:41 AM
http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=880128

Beast
08-23-2006, 09:17 AM
I just had the VPX Zero Impact bar pre-workout today... after eating that bar you will truly appreciate the taste of the Sustain Bar.

uhockey
08-23-2006, 09:31 AM
I just had the VPX Zero Impact bar pre-workout today... after eating that bar you will truly appreciate the taste of the Sustain Bar.

HAHA, good news Derek. Others were swearing by the VPX bar, but looking at the macros I couldn't imagine how it'd be good.

user25891
08-23-2006, 01:33 PM
First, I'd like to thank the DS/DN crew for selecting me to try out their new Sustain protein bars. Unfortunately, a recent death in the family has delayed my review a bit, and for that, I apologize.

Nutritional Facts

Peanut Butter Fudge
Total Fat 9g
Sat Fat 1.5g
Total Carb 35g
Fiber 2g
Sugar 16g
Protein 20g

Outer Appearance/ Box:Not Rated
I like the idea of bars in a box. It will definitely fit a niche, as it is now the only one that I'm aware of that does such. That being said, I really didn't like the look of the box. It seemed a bit too plain, in my opinion. Knowing the DS/DN name, it couldn't matter less to me, as I know it is high quality, but to the unknowing consumer that purchases based on flashy labels and advertising, I'm afraid that it may be viewed as an inferior product.

Taste: 10/10
My taste comparison is based versus other protein bars, not candy bars, for reference. I thought the bar had a wonderful taste. The "fudge" flavor was mild compared to the peanut flavor, but thats great by me, as I have never really been a big fudge fan. The coating was nice, lacking the wax/chemical/ass taste most other bars seem to possess. It has been a while since I have eaten a bar like this. Very impressive.

The texture of the bar was wonderful. It was firm, not somuch hard, but "well constructed" which is nice. I hate eating anything that just crumbles and gets on my shirt. The bar was also chewy, which was another plus. Not chewy like some bars that work your jaw to death and stick in your teeth, but chewy like a warm cookie.

I think that this is the first bar ever that is all natural. No sugar alcohols or various chemicals. It's sweetened with honey for petes sake! I was very impressed with the profile, save for the sugar content. Overall, with all the positives, this is a non-factor for me.

Overall: 9.5/10
I am very impressed with this initial offering from Designer Nutrition. The taste, texture, and nutritional profile are top notch. I would recommend anyone that is up in the air about purchasing it to go for it. I will definitely recommend this bar to anyone who asks! Great job guys!

uhockey
08-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Very sorry to hear about your family situation, but thank you for the review.
Chewy like a warm cookie is a GREAT description of the texture.

Stonecoldtruth
08-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Very sorry to hear about your family situation, but thank you for the review.
Chewy like a warm cookie is a GREAT description of the texture.

You know the product is a success when some of the texture feedback includes words like moist, cake, donut, warm cookie.. etc

SCT

uhockey
08-23-2006, 04:07 PM
You know the product is a success when some of the texture feedback includes words like moist, cake, donut, warm cookie.. etc

SCT

And when you can freeze it and compare it to a Klondike bar!

Twin Peak
08-23-2006, 08:04 PM
What would ya do for a SU-STAIN bar?

uhockey
08-23-2006, 08:21 PM
What would ya do for a SU-STAIN bar?

Someone is in a clever mood tonight.

This would make a hilarious contest.

"Would you cluck like a chicken? Would you kill a man?" ;)

Twin Peak
08-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Glad you read it with the tone I wrote it.

Stonecoldtruth
08-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Someone is in a clever mood tonight.

This would make a hilarious contest.

"Would you cluck like a chicken? Would you kill a man?" ;)

Yes I would cluck like a chicken, and as far as killing a man it would depend if we are talking about a box of 12 bars or just a single bar... hmmm.. and how old the man is..

SCT

uhockey
08-24-2006, 01:43 AM
Yes I would cluck like a chicken, and as far as killing a man it would depend if we are talking about a box of 12 bars or just a single bar... hmmm.. and how old the man is..

SCT

Note to self, don't mess with SCT, he's a little crazy. ;)

Joel
08-24-2006, 04:58 AM
I'm going to judge this hard and hope you respect the constructive criticism because this product has a lot of crossover potential for Designer and I want to see you guys do well.

Taste: 6 out of 10

In my opinion the taste could be improved upon. I feel it is important to always match your actual taste with what the label says and If I bought this I might get pissed off because it didn't. I have almost every bar out there so if you want to compete this needs to be improved. Also, keep in mind that right now I am dieting so anything sweet is amplified and sought after.

Nutrtional Profile: 8 out 10

This is a well formulated bar. However, since you are reaching out to a broader audience with this I feel you need to highlight how your sugar sources are not unhealthy per se. Some people will see the sugar content and put it back down on the shelf. Lastly, don't be *******s and use the sugar alcohol gimmick if you decide to switch things up.

Packaging: 4 out 10

I love all the designs you guys use for your bottles and felt you missed the boat with these. The first issue I had was with the box. I don't feel it is necessary and is just over-packaging. No other company does this and I feel this won't translate well for Joe Q Public looking for a good bar to snack on. Secondly, it was hard for me to tell this was a Designer Supplement's product because your logo has a lot of detail which gets masked when scaled down. I almost feel you guys need a second trademarked logo for this just so it is more recognizeable. Maybe this is a new route you can take for protein powders and bars you are coming out with.

Great review Des, you are one of the few on this board who I trust to tell the truth and not kiss @ss

naturalguy
08-24-2006, 06:05 AM
I haven't tried this bar yet but something thats important to me is a bar that doesn't melt in the heat. I travel a lot for work and keep bars in the car. Nothing worse than unwrapping a bar thats all melted. For comparisons sake, the VPX bar does not melt in the heat.

uhockey
08-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Mine was sitting on the front porch when I received it, the outdoor temperature was ~88 that day and the bar had not melted.

Blap Blaow
08-24-2006, 06:43 AM
I haven't tried this bar yet but something thats important to me is a bar that doesn't melt in the heat. I travel a lot for work and keep bars in the car. Nothing worse than unwrapping a bar thats all melted. For comparisons sake, the VPX bar does not melt in the heat.
Great point- my main interest in a bar would be for something to eat whilst travelling, which usually means meltage.

naturalguy
08-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Mine was sitting on the front porch when I received it, the outdoor temperature was ~88 that day and the bar had not melted.

Thats good, it's definately something I will consider and try out when available.

jkeithc82
08-26-2006, 02:19 PM
My review

Taste = 6.5/10 It was better then some I've tasted in the past (working at VW I tried probably every bar of the time) but I really wasn't blown away. It seemed as though it just needed something extra, and that something I don't know. But if it meets label claims and what you taste is what you get, then it is definately worth using every once in a while. The problem with some bars such as Detour that had amazing taste was they fell very short of what they claimed. Bottom line, it is a nutritional protein bar so sometimes taste is not always going to be heaven.

Texture = 5/10 This is where I experienced my biggest problem with this bar. Maybe it was just mine, but by the time I finished the bar, half of it was all over my hands. The thing crumbled badly in my hands and I was left with protein fingers. I'd say the bar just had trouble holding together between bites.

Sustainability = 8/10 Most likely from the 300 calories, but I ate this on a semi-empty stomach and was full after eating. On the go or an in-between meal this would definately be worth using. Some protein bars leave you with a "that's all? I'm still hungry" feeling. Sustain didn't do this, and I was satisfied after consuming it.

Packaging = 7/10 I actually like the packaging. Its something different. I gave it a 7 because it is not needed, but I liked DS's thinking in doing this. Could probably save on costs by going to just standard packaging, but good idea nonetheless.

Overall = 6.6/10 I'd buy it, but not often. Bars are difficult to get 100% right unless you wish to Detour into falling short of claims or something. DS is expanding and moving into new areas, and for that I commend them and wish them well.

NATHAN518
08-26-2006, 02:21 PM
unless you wish to Detour into falling short of claims or something.

LMAO...nice

40-Yard Dash_2
08-26-2006, 04:26 PM
JKC Inc. "THE First Rep Agency. Treated unfairly by the company you rep for? Thinking of holding out for a new contract? Contact me and I'll get you a new deal"

Holy ****! That's f*cking hilarious!! :D

Joel
08-26-2006, 05:10 PM
My review

Taste = 6.5/10 It was better then some I've tasted in the past (working at VW I tried probably every bar of the time) but I really wasn't blown away. It seemed as though it just needed something extra, and that something I don't know. But if it meets label claims and what you taste is what you get, then it is definately worth using every once in a while. The problem with some bars such as Detour that had amazing taste was they fell very short of what they claimed. Bottom line, it is a nutritional protein bar so sometimes taste is not always going to be heaven.

Texture = 5/10 This is where I experienced my biggest problem with this bar. Maybe it was just mine, but by the time I finished the bar, half of it was all over my hands. The thing crumbled badly in my hands and I was left with protein fingers. I'd say the bar just had trouble holding together between bites.

Sustainability = 8/10 Most likely from the 300 calories, but I ate this on a semi-empty stomach and was full after eating. On the go or an in-between meal this would definately be worth using. Some protein bars leave you with a "that's all? I'm still hungry" feeling. Sustain didn't do this, and I was satisfied after consuming it.

Packaging = 7/10 I actually like the packaging. Its something different. I gave it a 7 because it is not needed, but I liked DS's thinking in doing this. Could probably save on costs by going to just standard packaging, but good idea nonetheless.

Overall = 6.6/10 I'd buy it, but not often. Bars are difficult to get 100% right unless you wish to Detour into falling short of claims or something. DS is expanding and moving into new areas, and for that I commend them and wish them well.

Thanks for an honest review JKeith

xxghostxx
08-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Ingredient Profile: 8/10 The ingredients in the Sustain Bar are very simple, and straightforward. There are no ingredients on here that would leave a question mark floating above the average supplement users head.

Texture: 10/10 The texture was the best part of the Sustain Bar in my opinion. The bar was moist and had a cake lake similarity when chewing. Having tried other bars with a short ingredients lists, this is a big deal considering many of those taste like a synthetic chocolate shell wrapped around old newspapers (at least what I assume that tastes like :D).

Taste: 6/10 The Sustain Bar received a grade in the D range for a few reasons. Let me first explain that I don't expect it to taste like the other bars on the market which are nothing more than glorified candy bars with a bit of protein (more often than not incomplete protein sources as well). The Sustain Bars flavor is peanut butter fudge and neither the fudge flavoring nor peanut butter flavoring was particularly distinctive. About halfway through the bar I even pondered how the peanut butter flavor was so weak considering the bar contained both peanut butter and peanuts. The bar did have a very sweet taste going for it, but not one I could identify or compare with anything else.

Packaging: If the cost of the product isn’t being run up to absurd levels due to packaging then I don’t really care what it comes in as long as the product is fresh.

Overall: 80% Overall this bar reserves B - ranking for itself. The texture and ingredients profiles were definitely the highlights for the Sustain Bar. The chewy, moist composition of the bar can make a considerable difference in a product of this sort especially considering the other options on the market. The taste, as we all well know by now is completely subjective, wasn’t entirely appealing to me but I could see others enjoying it.

uhockey
08-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Jkeith, you're officially in the minority, complaining about texture.....or else you were eating it in the God-forsaken Texas heat. Literally 1,000 people got to experience Sustain Bar at the Europa this weekend and the biggest compliments we heard were on #1) Texture and #2) lack of artificial ingredients. Most people loved the taste, but some thought it needed more sweetness, but not once did I hear a complaint about texture or nutritional profile. :)

People really loved the protein too......and Cherry Xceed was a hit.

Mr. Aries
08-27-2006, 01:32 PM
i just had two sustain bars for breakfast and 1 sustain shake, heh... can't complain about either one :p

storm shadow
08-27-2006, 01:36 PM
i just had two sustain bars for breakfast and 1 sustain shake, heh... can't complain about either one :p
What kind of breakfast is that big man!?
Storms breakfast:
7 eggs
2 sausage links
4 protein pancakes
1 protein shake

storm shadow
08-27-2006, 01:37 PM
I hope you are right about the taste of cherry xceed, I've been looking for a cherry flavored creatine that tastes good. Looking forward to further reviews of it.

Mr. Aries
08-27-2006, 01:51 PM
I hope you are right about the taste of cherry xceed, I've been looking for a cherry flavored creatine that tastes good. Looking forward to further reviews of it.

he's right about the taste of it.. It's better than the other xceed flavor. It has a very clean flavor and about as good as CEE can possibly taste like under any circumstance.. I could have drank that thing by the gallon.

Mr. Aries
08-27-2006, 01:52 PM
What kind of breakfast is that big man!?
Storms breakfast:
7 eggs
2 sausage links
4 protein pancakes
1 protein shake

i ran out of patience... i got home at 3AM last nite and didn't get out of bed until 2:00PM today...

uhockey
08-27-2006, 03:21 PM
he's right about the taste of it.. It's better than the other xceed flavor. It has a very clean flavor and about as good as CEE can possibly taste like under any circumstance.. I could have drank that thing by the gallon.

Then you could've been HYOOGE.....like those chicks in front of our booth! :)

It was a pleasure meeting you, sir, I only wish I hadn't been so tired and needing to catch a 4am cab ride to the Dallas (clusterf**k) airport. We'll definitely need to hang out more at the Arnold.

jkeithc82
08-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Jkeith, you're officially in the minority, complaining about texture.....or else you were eating it in the God-forsaken Texas heat. Literally 1,000 people got to experience Sustain Bar at the Europa this weekend and the biggest compliments we heard were on #1) Texture and #2) lack of artificial ingredients. Most people loved the taste, but some thought it needed more sweetness, but not once did I hear a complaint about texture or nutritional profile. :)

It could very well have been just my bar, or the Texas heat or anything else. All I'm reporting as far as that goes is the bar I received. :)

Stonecoldtruth
08-27-2006, 04:48 PM

It was a pleasure meeting you, sir, I only wish I hadn't been so tired and needing to catch a 4am cab ride to the Dallas (clusterf**k) airport. We'll definitely need to hang out more at the Arnold.

Plan on having me harass you at the Arnold too, it'll be my first expo so I'll be the doofus staring wide-eyed at all of the... girls.. and samples..

SCT

MuZI
08-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Like always, I'm late with my review. There isn't much left to be said about this bar...

The packaging of the bar seemed unnecessary at first but I realized later that it came intact through the AZ heat and shipping. This would make it good for throwing one into your backpack and not having to worry if you will open it up to get a messy gooey substance while you're running a errand.

I did leave it in the freezer for about 4 hours so it was a bit harder than it should be. At first it tasted alot like natural version of a snickers bar but I wish they would throw more nuts into this thing. Unlike the protein powder the taste wasn't as strong.

The best part was the aftertaste. Unlike a bar with sugar alcohols this bar had no weird tasting aftertaste that makes you wonder what you just ingested.

I'm wondering if it would be better to just take the powder and make some homemade protein bars out of that.

As for my protein bar experience, I've tried cliff bars (the protein and the oats ones), MRM bars, various power bars, and snickers marathon.

Overall this is a 8.5/10

uhockey
08-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Mooooozie. Thanks. :D

uhockey
08-27-2006, 05:00 PM
There will be recipes on the Sustain container if I'm not mistaken. :)

Not on the first batch.....quiet Art. You'll ruin the suprise!

deserusan
08-27-2006, 05:04 PM
There will be recipes on the Sustain container if I'm not mistaken. :)

LOL....TP is going Marth Stewart on us :)

http://planetsean.blogspot.com/martha%20stewart%201.jpg

MuZI
08-27-2006, 05:07 PM
LOL....TP is going Marth Stewart on us :)

http://planetsean.blogspot.com/martha%20stewart%201.jpg

What about you des? why don't you go hem a dress? bake some cookies?

Mr. Aries
08-27-2006, 05:46 PM

the girls were definitely scary, lol... built like titans and sound about that too.. haha..

It was absolutely great meeting you as well, it was fun hanging around the DS big booth..

After the show, two of your sponsored athletes, nick and bryce, and I went out to TGI Friday's and killed some serious food and water.. :D

Mr. Aries
08-27-2006, 05:49 PM
come to think of it, everyone at the booth was awesome... Steve and melissa let me come home with some serious DS stuff, lol... three words: I BE BIGGAH!!!!!

40-Yard Dash_2
08-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Steve and melissa let me come home with some serious DS stuff, lol... three words: I BE BIGGAH!!!!!

Wow, that was kind of them to take such great care of you, Aries. :)

storm shadow
08-27-2006, 05:58 PM
come to think of it, everyone at the booth was awesome... Steve and melissa let me come home with some serious DS stuff, lol... three words: I BE BIGGAH!!!!!
stop boasting you punk, you're making me regret not flying down there. :mad:

Mr. Aries
08-27-2006, 06:04 PM
and i'm gonna say my thanks right here, and this was definitely the most important to me...

The DS crew, unknown to them, took my mind off of things for one day that has bothered me to the point of detachment for the better part of an entire week.. I have had one workout in the past 10 days and there are things on my mind that were draining me of energy..

I almost didn't make it out there, in fact. It was a last minute decision and i did not arrive until 4PM on saturday.

The hospitality I received was a pleasant surprise to me. Everyone was kind. Took my mind away from the things wearing on my mind for 8 hours. I couldn't have asked for more than that.. :)

So yes, the supps were great and so was the cap and shirt, but yesterday was even better for the reason aforementioned.

uhockey
08-27-2006, 06:36 PM
and i'm gonna say my thanks right here, and this was definitely the most important to me...

The DS crew, unknown to them, took my mind off of things for one day that has bothered me to the point of detachment for the better part of an entire week.. I have had one workout in the past 10 days and there are things on my mind that were draining me of energy..

I almost didn't make it out there, in fact. It was a last minute decision and i did not arrive until 4PM on saturday.

The hospitality I received was a pleasant surprise to me. Everyone was kind. Took my mind away from the things wearing on my mind for 8 hours. I couldn't have asked for more than that.. :)

So yes, the supps were great and so was the cap and shirt, but yesterday was even better for the reason aforementioned.

Awesome. Whatever is going on, I hope it works out for you. You're a top notch guy and I wish you nothing but the best.....even if you do live in a state which is, by my standards, the most awful place I've ever been in terms of temperature. :)

jkeithc82
08-27-2006, 06:37 PM
.even if you do live in a state which is, by my standards, the most awful place I've ever been in terms of temperature. :)

You've never been to Louisiana I take it. :p

deserusan
08-27-2006, 06:38 PM
You've never been to Louisiana I take it. :p

....or on an isthmus in Wisconsin during the winter :)

NATHAN518
08-27-2006, 06:39 PM
man....i should have gone:(

SoMdHunter
08-27-2006, 07:05 PM
I had been looking for this thread so I could post my review of the SUSTAIN Protein Bar.

This was one protein bar I really liked! I thought it was outstanding!

Appearance
The wrapping still reminds me of a Klondike Ice Cream Bar, but that's cool. Even when I opened it, I thought that is what it was, but then I thought about it and realized it was more like a Mounds candy bar. I especially enjoyed what I believe was semi-sweet chocolate appearance.

Taste
Outstanding! It had a good peanut butter flavor, but I really liked the chocolate! I bet if a small amount of coconut was added, it would be awesome! That would be a Mounds with peanuts! ;)

Texture
I've read what some others posted, and my bar was very good. It was moist, but not melted. The middle reminded me of the nugent of Snickers.

Overall
This bar is a 10 in my book! I've tried other protein bars, and they certainly had the overpowering protein taste. This one didn't even have a heavy aftertaste. An excellent protein bar.....thumbs up all the way!

Sixpack
08-27-2006, 08:37 PM
LOL or North Dakota

....or on an isthmus in Wisconsin during the winter :)

uhockey
08-28-2006, 02:53 AM
I had been looking for this thread so I could post my review of the SUSTAIN Protein Bar.

This was one protein bar I really liked! I thought it was outstanding!

Appearance
The wrapping still reminds me of a Klondike Ice Cream Bar, but that's cool. Even when I opened it, I thought that is what it was, but then I thought about it and realized it was more like a Mounds candy bar. I especially enjoyed what I believe was semi-sweet chocolate appearance.

Taste
Outstanding! It had a good peanut butter flavor, but I really liked the chocolate! I bet if a small amount of coconut was added, it would be awesome! That would be a Mounds with peanuts! ;)

Texture
I've read what some others posted, and my bar was very good. It was moist, but not melted. The middle reminded me of the nugent of Snickers.

Overall
This bar is a 10 in my book! I've tried other protein bars, and they certainly had the overpowering protein taste. This one didn't even have a heavy aftertaste. An excellent protein bar.....thumbs up all the way!

Good review. Even better bands in the sig. :)

NATHAN518
08-28-2006, 03:03 PM
So, i finally got to tear into my SUSTAIN bar...I will say up front that i do not normally buy bars...i have tried quite a few and have never really found one that I liked. I especially dislike the gimmicky use of sugar alcohols ans was very happy the good folks at DS did not use any...anyway

PACKAGING - 7/10

Ummm, I just wrote this because everyone else did...lol...i really don't care. I will say i was starving, so I kind of dislike having to open TWO packages to get to my bar...maybe i DO care.:D

INGREDIENT PROFILE - 9/10

I really like the macros on this bar...I would have given it a 10/10 if the sugar was a bit lower, but that said, the absence of sugar alcohols is a plus, and also the fact that it is all natural. I can read the ingredients and actually know what evertyhing is...

TASTE - 6/10

Again, rating taste in general, not in comparison to other bars. The taste is not BAD...but, the peanut butter flavor needs to be a lot stronger. The dark chocolate on the outside is great...its just the stuff in the middle tastes a little...funny...almost a chemical taste. But, not bad.

TEXTURE - 9/10

Mine was very moist...not brittle at all and not melted. Had a candy bar-like consistency. Very good.

OVERALL - 7/10

Overall, this is the best bar I have tried. I really don't care about taste with supps, but the taste is not bad...if I ever bought it, I would buy it just for the ingredient profile. Again, I am not a fan of bars...I do not use them now, and I probably won't buy this one, but if i ever needed a bar, I would buy this one IF the price is good.

uhockey
08-28-2006, 04:24 PM
They were $1 a bar at Europa. They will be $15-19 for a box of 12 at most online retailers, we imagine. :)

Mr. Aries
08-28-2006, 04:38 PM
i ate 3 today, and about 4 yesterday. :p

Sixpack
08-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Just got a box for 17 bucks online

They were $1 a bar at Europa. They will be $15-19 for a box of 12 at most online retailers, we imagine. :)

TimoteoS
08-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Me too 18$ for a box of 12!! good **** IMO!!
also- 29$ for 2 lbs Sustain Protein FYI!

uhockey
08-29-2006, 02:52 AM

Curious as to who is selling the protein...

Sixpack
08-29-2006, 03:26 AM
Well the protein is up on the site , but i don't think its getting sent.

Curious as to who is selling the protein...

Twin Peak
08-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Nice prices.

NATHAN518
08-29-2006, 10:58 AM

wow, NICE!!!

fitnfirm
08-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Will Nutra Planet carry these bars??????

Twin Peak
08-29-2006, 11:35 AM
I believe so. If they didn't get any from the first run, then no, we are sold out.

njmuscle66
08-29-2006, 11:56 AM
I believe so. If they didn't get any from the first run, then no, we are sold out.
Well my usual order site has them in their catalog-Nice

Edit-powder is already out of stock

uhockey
08-29-2006, 04:36 PM
The bars will be carried at all our online retailers.
The powder hasn't been released yet to retail, thus the reason it is out of stock. :)

njmuscle66
08-29-2006, 05:48 PM
The bars will be carried at all our online retailers.
The powder hasn't been released yet to retail, thus the reason it is out of stock. :)
If i made the europa I would know that-thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sixpack
09-03-2006, 05:23 PM
I told Mike about this tried something different

I cooked 1/2 cup oats then mashed up or chopped up a sustain bar and sprinkled it on top of the oats with 1tbsp of natural PB. I then froze it for about an hour and enjoyed it, this was frickin unreal. Reminded me of ice cream with chocolate and PB spinkles on top hehe
J

uhockey
09-03-2006, 05:36 PM
I told Mike about this tried something different

I cooked 1/2 cup oats then mashed up or chopped up a sustain bar and sprinkled it on top of the oats with 1tbsp of natural PB. I then froze it for about an hour and enjoyed it, this was frickin unreal. Reminded me of ice cream with chocolate and PB spinkles on top hehe
J

Funny......I chopped one up and put it with some hot baked sweet potatos just a couple days ago. It didn't melt so well, but it was tasty.

Sixpack
09-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Yes that does sound very good, if i ate any dairy I would think some cottage cheese+sustain bar would be very good.

Funny......I chopped one up and put it with some hot baked sweet potatos just a couple days ago. It didn't melt so well, but it was tasty.

Phosphate bond
09-03-2006, 08:08 PM

I thought the bar was excellent (Honest 9.25/10 overall). Nutritional profile: 9/10 (solid ingredients and I liked honey for the carb source. Also fat source is excellent- no "trans" fatty acids). Taste 9.0/10 (definitely in the upper echelon for this category)

As far as value goes I have nothing to say because I don't know the price but this would be my top pick at the moment.

Apparently this is not at online retailers yet? (I just checked). Well anyway I'll definitely pick some of these up when I can. I'm glad its not just a straight protein bar too (the carbs and peanut butter really are a nice addition)

uhockey
09-04-2006, 02:41 AM
I thought the bar was excellent (Honest 9.25/10 overall). Nutritional profile: 9/10 (solid ingredients and I liked honey for the carb source. Also fat source is excellent- no "trans" fatty acids). Taste 9.0/10 (definitely in the upper echelon for this category)

As far as value goes I have nothing to say because I don't know the price but this would be my top pick at the moment.

Apparently this is not at online retailers yet? (I just checked). Well anyway I'll definitely pick some of these up when I can. I'm glad its not just a straight protein bar too (the carbs and peanut butter really are a nice addition)

The price will likely be $15-20 for a box of 12 at MOST online retailers. We're also currently working on another flavor. :D

Viperspit
09-04-2006, 08:26 AM
These definitely look interesting. I may just have to pick up a box and keep it in my office at work for those damn days where it's back to back meetings :) The Reviews look great so far..

uhockey
09-04-2006, 08:28 AM
These definitely look interesting. I may just have to pick up a box and keep it in my office at work for those damn days where it's back to back meetings :) The Reviews look great so far..

The protein powder is even better. Once we get all our orders caught up I have a feeling that the word will spread quickly on how high quality these products really are.

Zachattack43
09-04-2006, 11:39 AM
The protein powder is even better. Once we get all our orders caught up I have a feeling that the word will spread quickly on how high quality these products really are.
better hurry on the powder im halfway done

Sixpack
09-04-2006, 11:47 AM
I cannot wait until my case gets here, I really don't think I will use any other protein, no need to

better hurry on the powder im halfway done

uhockey
09-04-2006, 11:52 AM
I cannot wait until my case gets here, I really don't think I will use any other protein, no need to

Well, different flavors.......but we'll fix that soon, too. :)

Sixpack
09-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Well I think we are all looking forward to it

Well, different flavors.......but we'll fix that soon, too. :)

40-Yard Dash_2
09-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Taste: 6.5/10

Definitely not the best tasting bar out on the market; however, understandable do to the ingredient profile. I personally like peanut butter, so it is a bit disappointing that the peanut butter flavor does not stand out despite having both peanut butter and peanuts. Overall, I felt the bar and its chocolate taste was very vanilla and plain tasting.

Texture/Mouthfeel: 6/10

Being a food science major, I paid close attention to the quality of the bar in regards to mouthfeel. The bar had a somewhat hard feel to it, wasn't very soft, moist, or chewy, but a little tough instead. Was it difficult to chew, no. But it wasn't as smooth as I had anticipated or hoped it to be either.

Ingredient/Nutritional Profile: 9/10

I'm pretty much in agreement with Mike, I think it needs more fiber. Other than that, no added or processed mess, which is definitely nice to see.

Overall: 7/10

As a consumer that is going to drop 20 plus dollars on a box of these protein bars we must ask ourselves the question, what is it about this Sustain Bar that separates it from other protein bars on the market? Is there anything about this bar that just stands out above the rest? Is it the taste, price, or nutritional profile that just blows us away? For me, personally, the only thing that sticks out in my mind is the ingredient profile. It was a nice effort, but hopefully your food science team can make the next batch/flavor up to par in terms of texture and taste, because you've got the basic healthy ingredient profile down. :)

uhockey
09-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Interesting on the texture, that has been the highlight for MOST people.....

40-Yard Dash_2
09-13-2006, 07:39 PM
By the way, I would like to thank Uhockey for sending me the 2 bars to sample.

uhockey
09-13-2006, 07:41 PM
I thank you for your opinion. Let us know how you fancy the Powder and the cherry Xceed as well. :)

saw14
09-17-2006, 10:38 AM
i would first like to show my appreciation to mike and DS for allowing me try their new protein bar. umm...yadda yadda yadda, to the review!

i dont know how to bold any words, or enlarge them, and if i cant do that yet you shouldnt expect me to use colors here so deal with the plain-ness of my font. all apologies beforehand.

ill give you guys credit for the packaging. its something different in a world of redundancy. while some think the little box is too much i think its fine, it will make your bar stick out bar. like others have said though, the writing is a little weak comparatively to the oxidizing metal background. strengthening the font will give it more emphasis.

ingredients: 9/10
this bar is about as perfect as it gets. not perfect though, nothing is perfect. im an anal retentive re-re that wont touch foods with junky fillers in unless im just pigging out. protein bars have always been something id love to eat more of because they taste so good but they are typically just candy bars. with ingredients like these there is nothing to complain about.

nutritional facts: 8/10
before the bar came out and DS had the thread about what youd like to see in a protein one suggestion i said was a decent amount of fiber. it doesnt have to be a brick of wheat bran or have a psyllium jelly filling in the middle, but more would be nice. no complaints about the sugar content as its from honey. fats and protein are good too. if you follow the diabetic exchange it breaks down very well and can fit into any diet/meal plan.

texture: 8/10
i used to be a big fat kid who loved his candy, milky ways and three muskateers were my favorite. the bar sort of reminded me of those which is nice. i didnt freeze mine like others did but i did refridgerate it. bar held up well in my hands and melted in my mouth. great!!!

taste: 8.11113344/10
the taste is really good. i tried sustain protein too, i dont know which i liked more. you can definitely taste the chocolate, and then you can taste the peanut butter. so you guys made a pb and choc protein bar, right? ok good...i can taste those flavors then. you win in my book. the flavor kind of reminded me of an off-brand reese's pb cup, and thats not a bad thing. the pb flavor tasted a little more roasted compared to reeses and wasnt as sweet.

overall: 8.3/10
great product, great profile, great taste, great everything. nice work DS. i am really anxious to see the new flavor(s) that come out. bday cake, coconut cream pie, boston cream pie, strawberry donut, cinnamon roll, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple cobbler, blueberry pancake....just some ideas guys:).

thanks mike.

uhockey
09-17-2006, 03:34 PM
The diffrence between reese's pb and ours is the sugars and trans fats. ;)

Thanks for the review, sir.

sjl25
09-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Great job on the Sustain bar, DS! These things are absolutely delicious! (Maybe a little too good, I'm having trouble eating just one!)

uhockey
09-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Great job on the Sustain bar, DS! These things are absolutely delicious! (Maybe a little too good, I'm having trouble eating just one!)

Thanks. Feel free to write a full review if you like, we're always looking for opinions and ways to improve.

beer20
09-24-2006, 06:28 PM
my review is posted up.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=910427

NATHAN518
09-24-2006, 06:31 PM
my review is posted up.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=910427

good review beer :)

Anssi Manninen
09-26-2006, 05:30 AM
I just got my Sustain samples. Pretty damn good bar!

uhockey
09-27-2006, 02:34 AM
I just got my Sustain samples. Pretty damn good bar!

Thank you, sir.

sjl25
09-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks. Feel free to write a full review if you like, we're always looking for opinions and ways to improve.

Don't mind if I do!

Ingredient Profile: 9/10
As others have stated in here, no sugar alcohols or artificial sweetners is definitely a plus. 300 calories per bar is just about ideal, and 16 grams of sugar is no big deal. I support the increased dietary fiber suggestion made previously, but other than that this is a guilt-free meal replacement.

Taste: 10/10
This is where the Sustain bar leads the pack. Although it may not taste 100% exactly like peanut butter fudge, it's very damn close and in my opinion sets the benchmark for the rest of the industry. Even the venerable VPX Zero Impact bars didn't leave me with the cravings like the Sustain bars did. (I killed an entire box in 3 days. :o)

I won't even attempt to number how many protein bars I've ingested that have left me with a sprained jaw. The Sustain bar is slightly more firm than a Three Musketeers bar and slightly moist.

Packaging: 9/10
In all honesty, I couldn't care less what these bars came wrapped up in. I think the little boxes are unique although larger print would be ideal.

Overall: 10/10
These are the most delicious meal-replacement bars I have tried, and I have sampled a good majority of the bars available. The only drawback to these bars is that it is difficult to limit myself to just one, they seem too much like a cheat-meal treat than a MR bar. Great job DS!

nni
09-28-2006, 09:25 AM
you ate a whole box in 3 days?!?!?!

wow!

uhockey
09-28-2006, 07:54 PM
:)