PDA

View Full Version : HypoThyroidism, Awaiting Results, have questions

raz_nj
08-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I had blood taken last Saturday and will receive the results on the 25th. I truly believe that I have Hypothyroidism. I don't want to be jumping the gun until results, but I have a few questions regarding Hypothyroidsim and losing body fat. First why I believe I have it:

Very poor circulation, my hands and feet become easily cold and stay so once I'm indoors. Even a movie theatre will make them cold.

I eat healthy, get enough sleep, and exercise, yet still I get hit with severe fatigue. I mean I could just lay on the ground where ever I'm at and pass out (I don't though). I've learned the difference between being normally tired and getting hit with fatigue. I take two naps a day. One during lunch and one after work.

I'm loosing my hair, thankfully I look good with a shaved head.

I do have depression, though it gets better with eating correctly and exercising, it still rears its ugly head around more than I'd like (no medicaiton, don't want any for it).

I'm also sore more than I should be. I'll only do 1 full body workout a week, rest would be cardio and stretching. Even if I take a couple days off, I'm still sore, especially if I don't stretch.

Growing up I was very obese. At twelve years of age (7th/8th grade) I was 205lbs. It was rough losing weight but I got it done. Adding muscle was never a problem but lowering bodyfat seems to be more of a challenge than others.

I started looking into that something was wrong with me, when my fatigue was really starting to become a daily and strong occurence. Looked up syptoms for fatigue and came into Hypthyroidism. I truly do have the symptoms above and believe I have this.

Now for the question. Once/If I get onto medication and find the right dosage. How will my metabolism be affected. Does your metabolism drastically increase? What other affects will/can I see regarding body fat loss once medicated?

Thanks,

Raz

skelooth
08-14-2006, 08:18 PM
sweet you get legal T3 brother :) You will have to take it for life, but you will lose a lot of fat.

stick_it
08-15-2006, 03:20 AM
If you are placed on something like thryoxine sodium (brand name: oroxine) there will be an increase in metabolic rate of body tissue
That could mean a loss of fat since ur metabolic rate will be increased, but I guess it would depend on how much and what you are also eating...
If you are eating right, an increase in metabolic rate will be beneficial in weight loss

NuclearArms
08-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Don't expect miracles. And why the long delay in test results?

If it is hypothyroidism, you'll likely get T4 and it will pick-up your metabolism, provide some weight loss and hopefully clear the depression. It will take a couple of months to get the dosage right and you need to continue to be active and concerned with your diet or weight will be put back on.

raz_nj
08-15-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure why the delay in test results. They told me they don't get them back for two weeks. I'm in pretty good shape now and will always continue to exercise and eat right. Is there any supps out there that seem to help with Hypothyroidism, excluding T4 which will be a prescription.

Time for some HIT cardio.

Xiphos
08-16-2006, 12:06 AM
I had blood taken last Saturday and will receive the results on the 25th. I truly believe that I have Hypothyroidism. I don't want to be jumping the gun until results, but I have a few questions regarding Hypothyroidsim and losing body fat. First why I believe I have it:

Very poor circulation, my hands and feet become easily cold and stay so once I'm indoors. Even a movie theatre will make them cold.

I eat healthy, get enough sleep, and exercise, yet still I get hit with severe fatigue. I mean I could just lay on the ground where ever I'm at and pass out (I don't though). I've learned the difference between being normally tired and getting hit with fatigue. I take two naps a day. One during lunch and one after work.

I'm loosing my hair, thankfully I look good with a shaved head.

I do have depression, though it gets better with eating correctly and exercising, it still rears its ugly head around more than I'd like (no medicaiton, don't want any for it).

I'm also sore more than I should be. I'll only do 1 full body workout a week, rest would be cardio and stretching. Even if I take a couple days off, I'm still sore, especially if I don't stretch.

Growing up I was very obese. At twelve years of age (7th/8th grade) I was 205lbs. It was rough losing weight but I got it done. Adding muscle was never a problem but lowering bodyfat seems to be more of a challenge than others.

I started looking into that something was wrong with me, when my fatigue was really starting to become a daily and strong occurence. Looked up syptoms for fatigue and came into Hypthyroidism. I truly do have the symptoms above and believe I have this.

Now for the question. Once/If I get onto medication and find the right dosage. How will my metabolism be affected. Does your metabolism drastically increase? What other affects will/can I see regarding body fat loss once medicated?

Thanks,

Raz

I'm 19 and I was diagnosed with it 2 years ago and have been on levoxyl, and lemme tell you man. Since I been on this medicine I have seen great improvements...in my skin, in my depression, in my enery and actually labido dude. Good ****. :)

firstcut
08-16-2006, 05:54 AM
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 8 years ago. Reading your post brings back the memories....I literally fell asleep everywhere I went, didn't have the energy to walk down the corridor of my dorm to talk to my friend, etc.

For me, being on the right dosage helped with my energy and probably boosted my metabolism a bit, but didn't make a lot of difference to weight loss (I wasn't fat, but had a few pounds to spare). Maybe the best bit was having more energy to exercise as well as getting incidental exercise that I otherwise wouldn't have the energy to get. Recently I went up a dose slightly and at the same time I was on a cut - maybe the higher dosage helped out a little, but the difference is tiny compared with being on a good diet and exercise routine.

Even though my condition is 'under control', I still get some symptoms...eg if I am tired to begin with and I eat a big-ish meal, especially a high-carb meal, I often find myself 'crashing' and I need to take a quick nap. This is quite embarrasing if I have a post-lunch meeting at work!

Good luck!

raz_nj
08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
I really can't wait to kick this fatigue and depression. It is beautiful out today and I'm just so tired. Feel like I went drinking late last night, when all I did was watch some MMA and was in bed by midnight with about 9 hours of sleep. Finally grabbed some green tea with honey to pick my ass up to get to the gym. Even now, that usual high energetic feeling I get after a workout isn't even here. Will call tomorrow to see if blood results are done. Maybe get a copy of it before I see doc on Saturday.

How does a low carb/high fat diet work with Hypothryoidism. I've done low carb diets in the past and was thinking about getting on one again. Maybe something like TKD carbs just before/after workouts.

raz_nj
08-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Bump

raz_nj
08-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Anybody with experience or knowledge on low carb/high fat diet for Hypothyroidism. I have felt better the last two days since switching. Not sure if it is from how I'm eating or the fact that I'm also drinking 3 cups of Yerba Mate. A cup at 5:30 am and 2 cups at 12:30 pm.

DJohnson
08-22-2006, 06:05 PM
If it is your problem them the only thing that's gonna help is medication for life. Forntunately this should completely solve your problem. The best thyroid medication out right now is Armour Thyroid. It's actual thyroid hormones with a proper T3/T4 ratio. I think it's a bit more pricey though so maybe not if you don't have insurance, but it's not pure T4 like some of the medications.

If your thyroid isn't that bad but low enough to be treated it's a tough decision between medication for life and putting up with the symptoms.

It could also be a lot of other things too so like you said, don't jump to any conclusions just yet. I'm sure the blood panel will catch something though if it's as bad as it sounds.

raz_nj
08-22-2006, 07:14 PM
I know I haven't been diagnosed yet, just having that many symptoms really leaves me to believe that it is that. We'll see, going to call tomorrow to see if I can get a copy of my blood work before seeing the Doc on Saturday. Feels good to be back on a lowcarb/highfat diet again. I only fell off last time becuase it didn't work well with the MMA training I was doing.