PDA

View Full Version : I'm on a budget, are eggs the best way to go?

frag79
08-03-2006, 12:50 PM
I need to eat around 160 grams of protien a day, and already eat one can of tuna, one protien shake and one chicken breast a day, so is it ok to make the rest up by eating eggs? This means I would eat around 16 eggs a day. What about whole eggs vs egg whites? Is cholesterol an issue?

Thanks

snwdevl10
08-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I need to eat around 160 grams of protien a day, and already eat one can of tuna, one protien shake and one chicken breast a day, so is it ok to make the rest up by eating eggs? This means I would eat around 16 eggs a day. What about whole eggs vs egg whites? Is cholesterol an issue?

Thanks

I'd say more of an issue than the cholesterol from the eggs is tht fae. The white is basically all protein. I would stick to 2-4 whole eggs a day, and make up the rest of the protein with whites.

muirsy88
08-03-2006, 12:56 PM

Thanks

Also consider cottage cheese and other meats like turkey and beef, and other fish.

But yeah, you could down a bunch of eggs. 16 whole eggs would be too much for sure, but a couple whole eggs plus a bunch of whites is fine, as long as it fits into your daily needs.

BigPappaSmurf
08-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Milk is also a cheap way to go.

boyscouT
08-03-2006, 01:06 PM

Thanks
The cholesterol in food should never be an issue.

PS: Cheapest complete protein is whey protein powder I believe.

user128333334
08-03-2006, 02:03 PM
The guys above are absolutely right, stuff like

- Oats, eggs, chicken, beef, cottage cheese, low fat yoghurts, wholegrain pasta, nuts (sunflower & pumpkin seeds), tuna, brown rice, bananas, grapes etc..

Are usually all relatively cheap, particularly when you buy in bulk.

You don't have to live off eggs (e.g. Meal 1 eggs, Meal 2 eggs etc!)..you'd just become sick of them if you had them all the time, add a great variety of products and make sure you get your veg!!

Therefore, sure eat eggs they are probably one of the cheapest ways of getting protein, but certainly consider other cheap bulk foods

Hope that helps
:)

--The whole eggs vs. egg whites normally starts flame war, but I think the most recent evidence showed the whole eggs didn't contain bad cholesterol (hence people on the foums having 3 whole eggs per day etc). Personally my family has always had like a higher** scale cholesterol and my mum told the doctor I was like :@!!! The doctor is like oh he should have 1 WHOLE EGG PER WEEK LMAO I was like stfu, so to make her happy I normally do poached eggs, 2 of them egg whites, 1 whole egg :)--

boyscouT
08-03-2006, 02:09 PM
--The whole eggs vs. egg whites normally starts flame war, but I think the most recent evidence showed the whole eggs didn't contain bad cholesterol (hence people on the foums having 3 whole eggs per day etc). Personally my family has always had like a higher** scale cholesterol and my mum told the doctor I was like :@!!! The doctor is like oh he should have 1 WHOLE EGG PER WEEK LMAO I was like stfu, so to make her happy I normally do poached eggs, 2 of them egg whites, 1 whole egg :)--
My understanding is that dietary cholesterol (aka cholesterol from foods) has little to no effect on blood cholesterol.

user128333334
08-03-2006, 02:19 PM
My understanding is that dietary cholesterol (aka cholesterol from foods) has little to no effect on blood cholesterol.

Yeah that was basically the last thing I heard "little to no effect" which basically means whole eggs are fine

But some people say they remove they yolk to allow fats to be gained from other sources throughout the rest of the day.

Do you think that is a credible reason to remove yolks?

boyscouT
08-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah that was basically the last thing I heard "little to no effect" which basically means whole eggs are fine

But some people say they remove they yolk to allow fats to be gained from other sources throughout the rest of the day.

Do you think that is a credible reason to remove yolks?
Nope. The fats in yolks are excellent, not to mention the minerals/vitamins as well.

However I have heard that people with a family history of high cholesterol should stay away from food high in cholesterol.... I guess genes have something to do with how dietary cholesterol affects you.

user128333334
08-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Nope. The fats in yolks are excellent, not to mention the minerals/vitamins as well.

However I have heard that people with a family history of high cholesterol should stay away from food high in cholesterol.... I guess genes have something to do with how dietary cholesterol affects you.

So basically because my family does have a hisotry of high cholesterol I should keep egg yolks to a minimum.

I already take a multi and get "good fats" from PB & sunflower seeds etc.

lol..talk about hi-jacking a thread!

johnnyironboard
08-03-2006, 02:32 PM

Thanks

Whole chickens are cheap.

Mango
08-03-2006, 03:12 PM

I've got to agree with that. :(

frag79
08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Ok here is what I came up with. I am 28, 6' 0", 220lbs, around 20%body fat(This is a guess)

7:30AM 9 eggs(54g of protien 40g fat) 1 granola bar(21g carbs, 3g fat, 2g protein)

11:00AM chick breast(21g protein, 1g fat) on wheat bread(24g carbs 6g protein, 1g fat) + granola bar(21g carbs
3g fat, 2g protein)

2:00 PM 2 tuna sandwiches(36g protien,2g fat)on wheat(12g protein 48g carbs 2g fat) +granola bar (3g fat, 21g carbs, 2g protein)

4:00pm yogert(33g carbs, 1.5g fat, 5g protein)

8:00pm chick breast or beef etc(around 20g protein 1g fat) + green beans ( 5g protein)

10:00pm protine drink(20g protein, 2g fat)

12:00AM yogert(33g carbs, 1.5g fat, 5g protein)

protein=191 grams = 764 calories

carbs=201 grams = 804 calories

fat=59 grams = 531 calories

total calories= 2099

PS I forgot to add a always drink 2-4 cups of nonfat milk every day

Goofxta
08-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Don't eat 16 eggs a day. 2 litres of milk is 70g of protein. Milk plus eggs is a better way to go. Why do you not have any other meat in your diet such as beef? You don't have oats for brekky? :p

elevator
08-03-2006, 07:44 PM
16 a day? wow, crazy. My in-laws are egg farmers, so I get all the fresh eggs I want for free (with a child you need all the freebies you can get)!
All the things already mentioned by the other guys are great (and if you're an on the go kinda guy like me, mix em together i.e. milk, whey, oats, cottage cheese etc...)