PDA

View Full Version : Which is more important?

RavensFan2k3
07-26-2006, 04:24 PM
I was wondering which is more important...the meals you have on off days or the meal you have after your workout? I notice that sometimes I'll have better food(eggs, steaks, all the good stuff) on off days and get more protein/carbs in on off days than I do on days that I lift and more importantly post workout. For some reason I have it in my mind that unless its being eaten post workout its a waste, especially if its eaten on a day I dont lift. Is this wrong?

JustLost
07-26-2006, 04:28 PM
It's all important. In fact, if I recall correctly, protein synthesis in muscle reaches a peak about 24 hours after the workout.

RavensFan2k3
07-26-2006, 06:05 PM
It's all important. In fact, if I recall correctly, protein synthesis in muscle reaches a peak about 24 hours after the workout.
Ok cool...what about eating late? I remember people would say if you eat late, the food would just sit on you and you would have unwanted weight gain(fat). Is that true?

DomzyCuttin
07-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Heres my thoughts, if you wake up and eat a 500cal breakfast for the next 3 hours, and you just sit around, whats the diff if you eat a 500 calorie meal at 8pm assuming your going to sleep at 11?? same thing, but assuming your going to sleep at say 11.15, I would reccomend eating a meal at 11, but making sure it consists of slow digesting energy, slow digesting protein, and lower the overall cals to about 300-350. for ex some oats and cottage cheese, or pb and cottage cheese. I know they say no carbs at night, but if your body is gunna use the energy then why not, I mean whats the diff if you have fats or carbs.

Also, your meals on off days should remain same in protein, but the overall cals should be reduced, and not from all the meals, but only from the meal that is your pre w/o meal, which should already be larger on days that you lift.