PDA

View Full Version : Why are MODS involved in product promotion?

deserusan
07-24-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm just curious because to me this seems to be a serious conflict of interest. Any thoughts?

JRRBadBoy4Life
07-24-2006, 08:12 PM
I agree with you. Too bad this thread will be deleted soon.

Elliptical Envy
07-24-2006, 09:19 PM
I think it is bull, but that is just my .02

no_strain_no_ga
07-24-2006, 09:29 PM
I was thinking the same when I saw that the Beast was a mod as well as a rep. Didn't pu12en12q have to give up his rep powers?

Elliptical Envy
07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
PU12 is a mod?

NATHAN518
07-24-2006, 09:32 PM
I was thinking the same when I saw that the Beast was a mod as well as a rep. Didn't pu12en12q have to give up his rep powers?

i think you mean Jkeith and he chose to give up his rep position...didn't have to...

does it really matter? i mean, I honestly don't see this big conflict...how much moderating do you guys see Beast doing anyway?

If he was going around deleting threads that said Scivation sucked, I would have a problem with that...but, he is not

NATHAN518
07-24-2006, 09:33 PM
PU12 is a mod?

NO

no_strain_no_ga
07-24-2006, 09:37 PM
PU12 is a mod?
I meant Jkeith. I feel like a complete idiot. I haven't even got drunk, well actually I have never had a beer.

I agree with Nathan though. I don't think any mod that is a rep would go flaming another company. Beast and Jkeith are/ were great reps and mods and do/did a awesome job at it.

deserusan
07-24-2006, 09:38 PM
i think you mean Jkeith and he chose to give up his rep position...didn't have to...

does it really matter? i mean, I honestly don't see this big conflict...how much moderating do you guys see Beast doing anyway?

If he was going around deleting threads that said Scivation sucked, I would have a problem with that...but, he is not

To me it just seems like promoting in two forum sections. Have you seen the contest prep section lately?

NATHAN518
07-24-2006, 09:40 PM
To me it just seems like promoting in two forum sections. Have you seen the contest prep section lately?

no...haven't checked it out...whats up over there?

deserusan
07-24-2006, 09:43 PM
no...haven't checked it out...whats up over there?

Put it this way.....there isn't much contest prep discussion over there. Please check it out.

NATHAN518
07-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Put it this way.....there isn't much contest prep discussion over there. Please check it out.

haha...well, i don't even think he is competing right now...

only thread i have seen over there is the "low gi after workout" thread...I will take a look:D

deadaim
07-24-2006, 09:48 PM
PU12 is a mod?

No but he has so much rep points that god himself cannot neg him into red zone.

pu12en12g
07-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Didn't pu12en12q have to give up his rep powers?

Yes... but luckily I still have my superpowers

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/news/images/0410/incredibles.jpg

NATHAN518
07-25-2006, 12:02 AM
No but he has so much rep points that god himself cannot neg him into red zone.

you can always try man...shoot him some red...see what happens :D

IntensityX
07-25-2006, 12:18 AM
It's a conspiracy dammit it's a conspiracy against the common folk who want to shed muscle and build fat :p :D :D

JRRBadBoy4Life
07-25-2006, 01:06 AM
I feel like a complete idiot.
You are one:D

1quick1
07-25-2006, 01:12 AM
It's a conspiracy dammit it's a conspiracy against the common folk who want to shed muscle and build fat :p :D :D

Damn I thought I was the only one working on that goal :D

boyscouT
07-25-2006, 01:33 AM
Yes... but luckily I still have my superpowers

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/news/images/0410/incredibles.jpg
roflmao

storm shadow
07-25-2006, 08:35 AM
IMO that section should either be completley removed or simply renamed. I have nothing against derek, however I think it's bull sh*t that a mod/rep has his own section meant for something that he hasn't done in a while and is being used for pimping products. Again I have nothing but respect for beast and I admire his achievments.

391rippy
07-25-2006, 08:37 AM
haha...well, i don't even think he is competing right now...

his last show was in 2004

UberBerzerker
07-25-2006, 08:51 AM
his last show was in 2004

lol

.........Any thoughts?

none that are lucid :p

fo'real though, I think it should be one of the other. You are either a mod, a rep, or sponsored by a company - not a combo of any. Subforums, IMO, should also not be as specific as one person's objectives. There could be a contest prep section, cool, but not just for promoting stuff related to one company. (not that I really go there for any info ever)

Scivation
07-25-2006, 09:00 AM
IMO that section should either be completley removed or simply renamed. I have nothing against derek, however I think it's bull sh*t that a mod/rep has his own section meant for something that he hasn't done in a while and is being used for pimping products. Again I have nothing but respect for beast and I admire his achievments.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=852728

Derek's section helps people get either in their best shape or contest shape. The forum would be dead if all he did was post about what he ate day to day.

Although he didn't compete, Derek recently went through contest-like prep to get in photo shoot shape.

And check this out:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=10848492&postcount=22

Obviously, not all people see it your way. We are there to answer questions. Derek is the one running the forum and it has actually gotten better over time. Here is another classic thread:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=813998

It is Derek's section, not Scivation's, and it has been around since before there even was a Scivation.

Blap Blaow
07-25-2006, 09:04 AM
There could be a contest prep section, cool, but not just for promoting stuff related to one company. (not that I really go there for any info ever)
There is 'another' contest prep forum (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15), n00b!

Beast
07-25-2006, 09:11 AM
I was planning on competing this year but had to drop out due to personal reasons. Take a look at my section and at the threads there. The majority of them are giving advice to people in order to help them reach their goals.

Thanks to all that continue to support me and my section.

storm shadow
07-25-2006, 09:12 AM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=852728

Derek's section helps people get either in their best shape or contest shape. The forum would be dead if all he did was post about what he ate day to day.

Although he didn't compete, Derek recently went through contest-like prep to get in photo shoot shape.

And check this out:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=10848492&postcount=22

Obviously, not all people see it your way. We are there to answer questions. Derek is the one running the forum and it has actually gotten better over time. Here is another classic thread:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=813998

It is Derek's section, not Scivation's, and it has been around since before there even was a Scivation.
My post was neither a shot at scivation nor derek, good company/stand out guy. Also I'm sure he helps out many people get ready for contests and such. And I'm not saying the section is nothing but pimping, I'm sure theres usefull information if you look. However it doesn't change the fact that it is a conflict of interest that a rep be a mod and on top of that have his own section while no one else has one. I know over time things have changed but adjustments to the forum should be made with them.

UberBerzerker
07-25-2006, 09:14 AM
There is 'another' contest prep forum (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15), n00b!

that's my point....

Twin Peak
07-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Not that anyone asked for my two cents, but here you go anyway.

Firstly, I agree with the sentiments of this thread. The "rep situation" is dramatically different now than it was way back when. And in its current form, I believe that it is inappropriate for a moderator to be selected as a rep, or a rep to be selected as a moderator.

That said, as it applies to Derek, this is a whole different situation. Here's why:

* Derek had that section before Scivation was around.
* When Derek became a rep and then employee of Scivation, the whole environment was different. It was not inappropriate. Hell, no one even sneezed at the idea at the time.
* Derek was selected as a rep and then employed by Scivation because of who he is. Not because of his role/authority on this board.
* Derek was given that forum because of what he can do for bb.com. Lets not forget that this is a business. Derek has a relationship with Ryan and members of bb.com, Derek has written articles for them, provided content, and positively impacted membership and their bottom line. So THEY gave him the forum. And you know what? They will continue to do so as long as its beneficial to them. And they should.

Marc and I don't always see eye to eye, but I think he is correct on this one.

no_strain_no_ga
07-25-2006, 09:17 AM
You are one:D
Thanx. Now I am going to cry to Bootysweat.

Elliptical Envy
07-25-2006, 09:28 AM
I have to agree with you Marc, if it wasn't for that Scivation section threads like this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=837593 wouldn't exist. :( If this thread didn't exist them I wouldn't be an avocado rep. Thanks Scivation for useless threads. :) At least with there being a forum for Scivation fanboys it keeps the clutter out of the main Supplement forum.

sawastea
07-25-2006, 12:33 PM
For what it's worth, BEAST is NOT moderating the supplement forums, ONLY his forums. He stated so several times in the mod forum. Why is he labeled as a moderator here, I don't know. For one, I have yet to see BEAST delete any threads/posts in ANY of these sections since I became moderator. I know this because when something is deleted, it is soft deleted by that person and these threads/posts can come back to life. He is active in his own section and he does as he sees fit. I am not one to argue with him as he runs a tight ship over there.

As far as Jkeithc82 being a moderator. He gave up his position as a Scivation rep to be a moderator. He seems very frank in his posts and he stays away from Scivation threads, maybe a post here and there, but he does NOT delete/close them.

Remember, just because many of the moderators aren't around posting, doesn't mean they're not around cleaning this place up ;)

Michael More
07-25-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm just curious because to me this seems to be a serious conflict of interest. Any thoughts?

Interesting question...

On a related note why are supplement companies allowed to start promotional threads outside of the company promotion section???

boyscouT
07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Remember, just because many of the moderators aren't around posting, doesn't mean they're not around cleaning this place up ;)
Agreed.. I just felt fitnessman's presence in the Losing Fat section.

It was heavenly :D.

sawastea
07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Interesting question...

On a related note why are supplement companies allowed to start promotional threads outside of the company promotion section???

Ideally, they are not. The company promotion section is about a month old. Of course, in an ideal world, everyone would know where to post their threads. It's kind of like the 'science' forum. Why do people post "Is creatine good for people 15 years old?" and of course the infamous "Brian Peppers PIITB Orly" threads.

storm shadow
07-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Agreed.. I just felt fitnessman's presence in the Losing Fat section.

It was heavenly :D.
*sighs* It's been a long time since I've felt a mods loving, and no jkeith thats not an open invatation to my bedroom! :D

Fuerza_M
07-25-2006, 01:36 PM

My thoughts and opinion, is a very good section where people learn and also you can see a very good debates (civil)

deserusan
07-25-2006, 05:49 PM
I was just simply trying to get some feedback on this because to me the contest Prep Section has seriously evolved into the Scivation pimping section. I love your products but have bitten my tongue for quite some time on this issue. I guess my point is if you are allowed to have your own sub-forum dedicated to promoting your products, books, personal training, etc then so should every other company if they desire. Just be clear with it and rename it for what it is.

There is a real contest prep sub forum and you hardly ever see the terms Cut Diet, avacados, Substance WPI, etc. People who actually compete offer advice and post in it. It just seems that having MODS promoting their company in two different forums is a little overboard if you ask me. However, this is not my forum so I don't make the rules. I would just like to see the forum a little more balanced and if one company has employees who MOD and push their products in their own sub forum then so should every other company as well. This would benefit the forum community and bb.com as well.

Lastly, my hat goes off to all the MODS that have reformed the forum. I just think this is the last piece of the puzzle. I understand why this forum exists and I also do what I can to promote good products to benefit bb.com and the forum community. Business is business but it seems a certain company has created quite the monopoly here which is very un-American. :)

ballbags1
07-25-2006, 05:53 PM
I was just simply trying to get some feedback on this because to me the contest Prep Section has seriously evolved into the Scivation pimping section. I love your products but have bitten my tongue for quite some time on this issue. I guess my point is if you are allowed to have your own sub-forum dedicated to promoting your products, books, personal training, etc then so should every other company if they desire. Just be clear with it and rename it for what it is.

There is a real contest prep sub forum and you hardly ever see the terms Cut Diet, avacados, Substance WPI, etc. People who actually compete offer advice and post in it. It just seems that having MODS promoting their company in two different forums is a little overboard if you ask me. However, this is not my forum so I don't make the rules. I would just like to see the forum a little more balanced and if one company has employees who MOD and push their products in their own sub forum then so should every other company as well. This would benefit the forum community and bb.com as well.

Lastly, my hat goes off to all the MODS that have reformed the forum. I just think this is the last piece of the puzzle. I understand why this forum exists and I also do what I can to promote good products to benefit bb.com and the forum community. Business is business but it seems a certain company has created quite the monopoly here which is very un-American. :)

Well said, I think you bring up valid points :)

deserusan
07-25-2006, 05:58 PM

Firstly, I agree with the sentiments of this thread. The "rep situation" is dramatically different now than it was way back when. And in its current form, I believe that it is inappropriate for a moderator to be selected as a rep, or a rep to be selected as a moderator.

That said, as it applies to Derek, this is a whole different situation. Here's why:

* When Derek became a rep and then employee of Scivation, the whole environment was different. It was not inappropriate. Hell, no one even sneezed at the idea at the time.
* Derek was selected as a rep and then employed by Scivation because of who he is. Not because of his role/authority on this board.
* Derek was given that forum because of what he can do for bb.com. Lets not forget that this is a business. Derek has a relationship with Ryan and members of bb.com, Derek has written articles for them, provided content, and positively impacted membership and their bottom line. So THEY gave him the forum. And you know what? They will continue to do so as long as its beneficial to them. And they should.

Twin Peak for MOD!

Scivation
07-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Business is business but it seems a certain company has created quite the monopoly here which is very un-American. :)

Whoever said no other company could post in there?

The debate in that forum is unparalleled.

deserusan
07-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Whoever said no other company could post in there?.

I'm sure if you let them have a MOD they would

The debate in that forum is unparalleled.

Don't get me wrong, I respect you guys a ton. However, it's hard to debate when everyone representing a company shares the same philosophy towards cutting. When those theories get challenged you had better watch out. I'd love to give my review of the Cut Diet Book but I'm sure it would get slammed hard. :) I can tell you it would compared to the MuscleTech Pump book.

Scivation
07-25-2006, 06:06 PM

Don't get me wrong, I respect you guys a ton. However, it's hard to debate when everyone representing a company shares the same philosophy towards cutting. When those theories get challenged you had better watch out. I'd love to give my review of the Cut Diet Book but I'm sure it would get slammed hard. :)

You brought up a point once and I countered it. Check out the Low GI Post Workout thread. There is constant debate on both sides.

Go ahead, critique us. The reason we all share the same cutting philosophy as a company is because we all train and have tried both ways and we believe in it.

For a company who all agree, where the hell does Layne stand? He has a different view on glutamine and like high GI carbs PW. I have yet to un-sponsor him for some reason. :)

Scivation
07-25-2006, 06:07 PM

You must think I have MUCH more power than I really do.

Scivation
07-25-2006, 06:22 PM
I have to agree with you Marc, if it wasn't for that Scivation section threads like this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=837593 wouldn't exist. :( If this thread didn't exist them I wouldn't be an avocado rep. Thanks Scivation for useless threads. :) At least with there being a forum for Scivation fanboys it keeps the clutter out of the main Supplement forum.

What the heck did we ever do to you?

You notice that someone ASKED that question, meaning that he wanted an answer. Should he be banned?

Twin Peak
07-25-2006, 06:28 PM

You notice that someone ASKED that question, meaning that he wanted an answer. Should he be banned?

I think anyone who asks questions about avocados should be banned.

Scivation
07-25-2006, 06:33 PM
I think anyone who asks questions about avocados should be banned.

What about Guacamole? I mean, it is made of avacados, but is much more ethnic and tasty.

Twin Peak
07-25-2006, 06:37 PM
What about Guacamole? I mean, it is made of avacados, but is much more ethnic and tasty.

You cannot answer such a question in a vacuum. Everyone always wants the easy way out, one size fits all. It would depend on a number of factors, including the posters ethicity, whether the guacamole was fresh, what the actual recipe was, how ripe the avacodas were, and so on.

TimoteoS
07-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Do you guys know if its bad to eat Guacamole a few days old?? I made some last night and and then someone goes and tells me it goes bad very quickly once it is cut up, I told her shes crazy and still ate it ..any thoughts?

Twin Peak
07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Did you die? If not, you are okay.

MuZI
07-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Did you die? If not, you are okay.

I hear avocados get you in the mood for cardio....

TimoteoS
07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
I hope im not dieing on the toilet tonight

deserusan
07-25-2006, 06:54 PM
You must think I have MUCH more power than I really do.

Since you are indeed Derek's boss you do have a lot of power. My point is that MODS should not be involved in company promotion because it set a horrible tone. Why is that so hard to understand? It's bad enough you guys have your own forum subsection. I'm just calling it at face value.

Bignbuff
07-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Beast has stated in the mod forum several times that he'd be willing to be removed as a moderator if we felt he was a serious problem.

All the mods, on all occasions where it was brought up, have told him to stay.

Fact is that Derek has been here since the board's inception and has offered advice to countless people of all bodybuilding levels for free. When people ask him which products he supports (in his own section), obviously he is going to say "Scivation". For what it's worth, most people on this board seem to support them anyways, so it's not like he's saying "take Muscletech products". Lastly, it is his section in there, thus many of his colleagues and friends from Scivation will be posting there.

I have never seen Derek ever abuse his position as a moderator and for that reason I think these concerns and complaints of you guys, while valid, are nothing to worry about.

Twin Peak
07-25-2006, 06:56 PM
I hear avocados get you in the mood for cardio....

Its why I don't eat avocados.

deserusan
07-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Beast has stated in the mod forum several times that he'd be willing to be removed as a moderator if we felt he was a serious problem.

All the mods, on all occasions where it was brought up, have told him to stay.

Fact is that Derek has been here since the board's inception and has offered advice to countless people of all bodybuilding levels for free. When people ask him which products he supports (in his own section), obviously he is going to say "Scivation". For what it's worth, most people on this board seem to support them anyways, so it's not like he's saying "take Muscletech products". Lastly, it is his section in there, thus many of his colleagues and friends from Scivation will be posting there.

I have never seen Derek ever abuse his position as a moderator and for that reason I think these concerns and complaints of you guys, while valid, are nothing to worry about.

I agree. I would like to here your thoughts on this:

deserusan
07-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the policy of this forum is that MODs can act as a rep for company just as long as they don't abuse their power or MOD a section in which they promote? If thats the status quo then this is the last you will here anything from on the issue. I just want be clear so there is no more confusion.

This policy should be made a sticky just so forum members know what's up. Put it right next to the one that states any forum member can bash a company without ill repute as well. We wouldn't want anyone getting banned because they weren't clear on the rules.

jerry.
07-25-2006, 07:04 PM
That was pointless. The guy simply asked a question.

My take on everything is if a fourm member is made a MOD it is because he has earned the right too. By earning the right to be a MOD he should also be trusted as a rep also. I don't see a problem if a MOD, who is a rep also, stands behind there products.

The only problem I could see happening is if threads were closed by that MOD b/c of negative feedback on his company product. Besides that i don't see a problem.

Bignbuff
07-25-2006, 07:09 PM
The rule is that mods are not allowed to be board reps. We made an exception with Derek due to his history with this forum and the fact that he had already been a moderator for over a year before we implemented that rule. Hope this clears things up.

Regarding that section though, I cannot deny that most of the threads are concentrated around Scivation. However, if you look at the thread starters for the most part, it is people who are not a part of the Scivation team who are asking questions about the products and their book. They go there because they know that they can get the answers from Derek, Marc, etc.

You do have valid concerns though about this issue in that section, deserusan. Maybe in the future we can implement some kind of rule that limits the amount of Scivation related threads that are asked.

The original intent of that section was to get direct answers from Derek about his contest preparation awhile back. This was back in the era before the board became infested (and ruined in my opinion) with board reps. So, as times changed, so did that section. For this reason, it has turned in the direction it has.

Hope this helps to address your concerns. Thanks!

jerry.
07-25-2006, 07:13 PM
The rule is that mods are not allowed to be board reps. We made an exception with Derek due to his history with this forum and the fact that he had already been a moderator for over a year before we implemented that rule. Hope this clears things up.

Regarding that section though, I cannot deny that most of the threads are concentrated around Scivation. However, if you look at the thread starters for the most part, it is people who are not a part of the Scivation team who are asking questions about the product and their book. They go there because they know that they can get the answers from Derek, Marc, etc.

You do have valid concerns though about this issue in that section, deserusan. Maybe in the future we can implement some kind of rule that limits the amount of Scivation related threads that are asked.

The original intent of that section was to get direct answers from Derek about his contest preparation awhile back. This was back in the era before the board became infested (and ruined in my opinion) with board reps. So, as times changed, so did that section. For this reason, it has turned in the direction it has.

So MODs can't be reps. Thanks for clearing that up. No wonder I was having a hard time finding a MOD who was a rep besides Derek.;)

Scivation
07-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Since you are indeed Derek's boss you do have a lot of power. My point is that MODS should not be involved in company promotion because it set a horrible tone. Why is that so hard to understand? It's bad enough you guys have your own forum subsection. I'm just calling it at face value.

I answer questions there and in other boards. It's called customer service.

Dude, I OWNED the Supp Misc forum yesterday. My first and last name were at the top of the page all day long!

YEAH BUDDY!

Elliptical Envy
07-25-2006, 07:24 PM

:) you guys never did anything to me.

Scivation
07-25-2006, 07:30 PM
:) you guys never did anything to me.

Would you like an avacado? :)

boyscouT
07-25-2006, 07:44 PM
You cannot answer such a question in a vacuum. Everyone always wants the easy way out, one size fits all. It would depend on a number of factors, including the posters ethicity, whether the guacamole was fresh, what the actual recipe was, how ripe the avacodas were, and so on.
this made me lol... !!!!!! ahahahahah TP you da man.

Elliptical Envy
07-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Would you like an avacado? :)

:eek: are you trying to bribe me Marc? :D Of course I would like an avocado as long as it is fresh.

jkeithc82
07-25-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm a mod and I'm going to make an official Cajun Power Sauce forum.

Beast
07-26-2006, 07:19 AM
:)

Steve_W
07-26-2006, 03:43 PM
This thread is pointless. Derek/the scivation crew have done nothing wrong, and I enjoy Derek's section easily the most on this forum. I don't see why you need to turn everything as if it's a political debate...to be honest no one cares.

deserusan
07-26-2006, 03:56 PM
This thread is pointless. Derek/the scivation crew have done nothing wrong, and I enjoy Derek's section easily the most on this forum. I don't see why you need to turn everything as if it's a political debate...to be honest no one cares.

This thread is not pointless. There is nothing political about this either. The fact of the matter is that there are two contest prep forums. One is dedicated to Scivation product promotion and customer service. The other is actually a contest prep forum. My only issue is that since Scivation is promoting in dual forums then maybe other companies should have the same right or they maybe they should keep in their own forum which is Moderated by an employee. A lot of people care....I'm just willing to say something about it.

As I said before, I truly respect this company and all it's employees. However, I also don't like seeing the forum monopolized either by any company. I am willing to break ranks to twang my little violin.

Steve_W
07-26-2006, 08:38 PM
This thread is not pointless. There is nothing political about this either. The fact of the matter is that there are two contest prep forums. One is dedicated to Scivation product promotion and customer service. The other is actually a contest prep forum. My only issue is that since Scivation is promoting in dual forums then maybe other companies should have the same right or they maybe they should keep in their own forum which is Moderated by an employee. A lot of people care....I'm just willing to say something about it.

As I said before, I truly respect this company and all it's employees. However, I also don't like seeing the forum monopolized either by any company. I am willing to break ranks to twang my little violin.

Look man, I think you're a pretty cool fella, and this wasn't a personal stab at you, but I really do see it as pointless. Come on, it's an internet forum and does anything aforementioned actually directly concern you? It's like comparing e-wangs..oh he's a rep and has his own forum? But to be frank until I see him do something wrong I couldn't care less. Derek's contest prep section doesn't just pimp products, if you read there regularly there are easily some of the best nutritional debates on the forum, people like alan aragon, annsi, chuck rudolph and layne all post regularly and the knowledge present there is vast. Most of the talk there is regarding nutrition..but questions are asked about supplements because scivation employees post there regularly. I actually think the pimping is reasonably minimal..their "workout nutrition" thingo of xtend + substance is the only thing I could regularly see as being remotely "pimped" and that's hardly a crime. I don't see why it's a big deal. No one is doing anything wrong, Derek has had his section for long before he become involved with a company, and if the moderators saw this as a problem then something would be done. Obviously they do not.

"Derek Charlebois' Contest Prep Section! (23 Viewing)
Find out what Derek is doing to get ready for his next show!"

^See, Derek's methods and ideas. If you read he has done exceptionally since changing to the Chuck's nutrition and methodologies..which also happen to be what Scivation believe in. I don't see it as a pimping forum, there's alot of great info in there..given away for free too.

Joel
07-27-2006, 03:58 AM
It is Derek's section, not Scivation's.

Marc please, he is a direct employee of Scivation and Scivation products are HEAVILY promoted there. You guys are taking full advantage of that situation.

Dont play us for fools is all Im saying

Sixpack
07-27-2006, 04:18 AM
Well no one is forcing anyone too read it, if u don't like it, don't read it who cares lets move on.Personally the section has helped be through many thing and in life in general.

Steve_W
07-27-2006, 04:28 AM
Marc please, he is a direct employee of Scivation and Scivation products are HEAVILY promoted there. You guys are taking full advantage of that situation.

You need to get out more man. It's a damn internet forum and doesn't affect you in any way. WHO CARES?

deserusan
07-27-2006, 04:42 AM
I guess my main concern is that I'm pretty sure other companies would like the same advantages Scivation has on this forum. You cannot deny they exist. I truly like this company but I will say it again, I also like to see a balanced forum as well. There is no need for two contest prep sections when one is dedicated to selling products or an ideology towards cutting which is based around a product line.

Beast
07-27-2006, 08:48 AM
I guess my main concern is that I'm pretty sure other companies would like the same advantages Scivation has on this forum. You cannot deny they exist. I truly like this company but I will say it again, I also like to see a balanced forum as well. There is no need for two contest prep sections when one is dedicated to selling products or an ideology towards cutting which is based around a product line.

My forum has been in place since March 2004. If you have issues with it contact Ryan Deluca.

dito
07-27-2006, 09:00 AM
That's not a good idea, Beastita. If I were you, I'd be nice to des. You know give him hugs and loves. But not tell him to email Ryan. Cause he will!

Beast
07-27-2006, 09:21 AM
That's not a good idea, Beastita. If I were you, I'd be nice to des. You know give him hugs and loves. But not tell him to email Ryan. Cause he will!

Dito! I missed you.

I just feel that if this is really a concern for Des he would be better off emailing Ryan because this thread will accomplish nothing really.

dito
07-27-2006, 09:23 AM
You don't give me hugs or loves either. WTF?

Beast
07-27-2006, 09:24 AM
You don't give me hugs or loves either. WTF?

That's cause I normally just hide in my section nowadays because everyone scares me.

dito
07-27-2006, 09:26 AM
:(

Beast
07-27-2006, 09:45 AM
:(

*HUG*

ForceLineBacker
07-27-2006, 10:24 AM

Regarding that section though, I cannot deny that most of the threads are concentrated around Scivation. However, if you look at the thread starters for the most part, it is people who are not a part of the Scivation team who are asking questions about the product and their book. They go there because they know that they can get the answers from Derek, Marc, etc.

Glad to see a mod shares the same opinion as me. :)

Bignbuff
07-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Sadly, this is more or less just another chapter that is unfolding where some members feel the need to stir up drama and controversy in this section.

If you guys want these issues to come to an end, let's eliminate board reps completely because that's usually where the problems are stemming from.

I wonder how many people would support this notion?

cxm
07-27-2006, 10:56 AM
If you guys want these issues to come to an end, let's eliminate board reps completely because that's usually where the problems are stemming from.

My only concern with eliminating board reps is the consequence of having a forum filled with shills. As it is some companies go to this already, by having board reps on the forum we know what companies try to do the right thing.

HalleluYAH
07-27-2006, 11:50 AM
I guess my main concern is that I'm pretty sure other companies would like the same advantages Scivation has on this forum.
Perhaps, but then again, these other companies can, and have, chosen to start their own forums. If bb.com leadership has personal bias towards Team Scivation, in my opinion, that is their choice.

I for one and glad we bb supplement enthusiasts have a place to converge, and am grateful to Ryan and bb.com for maintaining this community.

What's more, this convergence of bb supplement enthusiasts, enabled by these forums, allows dozens of supplement companies to marker, promote and sell their products....

... So, who's complaining?

ForceLineBacker
07-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Sadly, this is more or less just another chapter that is unfolding where some members feel the need to stir up drama and controversy in this section.

I would support it in a heart-beat, but in reality it is not possible, as undercover reps would be rampant, unless there was someway to punish the companies that sent out undercover reps in a viral marketing compaign, but the only way to do that would be to have bb.com stop selling their products, which would never happen, as that is a direct opposite of what this forum is meant for I guess.

Joel
07-27-2006, 02:22 PM
My forum has been in place since March 2004. If you have issues with it contact Ryan Deluca

Nice attitude

Thats one thing that has really turned me off from Scivation , is their attitude

The Community expresses concern about the obvious unfairness ,favoritism, and abuse thats going on here , and Scivations attitude is "Its MY forum, who cares that I am a Mod and an employee of Scivation, I can do whatever I want if you dont like it oh well "

But I guess when your a "Big Pimp" you can get away with it :)

dito
07-27-2006, 03:55 PM
*HUG*

Does that hug come with a reach around?? :D

dito
07-27-2006, 03:58 PM
ThermoLife will be taking over Beast's section. I am going to go and post the faq's here in a bit. I am sending Canadabbbbbboy to answer questions as well since he's such a smart buggar.

deserusan
07-27-2006, 03:58 PM

:) Yes that's what it is........or is it just calling how we see it. Anytime a company with a forum presence gets called out it's always a member trying to stir up trouble. It's never attributed to the fact maybe some of us who have been around awhile can't turn a blind eye to certain issues.

I'll keep my mouth shut for now on this issue and continue to post in the real contest prep section and I'll leave the Cut Diet pimping to the Scivation camp in their own forum subsection. BTW- I love the new bottle designs :)

boyscouT
07-27-2006, 04:10 PM
BTW- I love the new bottle designs :)
Agreed, it's very 2006.

Truth Speaker
07-27-2006, 04:56 PM

Hey what do you want Marc to do, tell his employees and sponsored athletes not to talk about his products?

So what if Scivation has a big presence on this board? They developed the relationships and now they have a presence. Anybody else could have done it. Scivation is only a few years old. Scivation has been very innovative in this area.

Instead of hate you should congratulate.

TimoteoS
07-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Wow Ron :)... Nice addition w/ booty as well :D

Truth Speaker
07-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Dude, I OWNED the Supp Misc forum yesterday. My first and last name were at the top of the page all day long!

YEAH BUDDY!

You're welcome!

Joel
07-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Hey what do you want Marc to do, tell his employees and sponsored athletes not to talk about his products?

So what if Scivation has a big presence on this board? They developed the relationships and now they have a presence. Anybody else could have done it. Scivation is only a few years old. Scivation has been very innovative in this area.

Instead of hate you should congratulate.

Ok what did you do with the real Truth Speaker ?

But in response, I think the point that Des and others are trying to make is that this "Contest Prep Section" is just a front and the name should be changed to "Scivation Product and Diet Promotion". Derek is not currently competing, and from the sound of it the main topic of that forum is Scivation products and Scivation Diet. There is also the issue of Derek being a Mod and a direct employee of Supplement Company at the same time. JKeith was forced to resign his position as Scivation Rep in order to be a Mod, but the Adminstration looks the other way for Derek. And he is beyond just being a Company Rep, he is a direct employee of Scivation.

What also doesnt make sense to me is if Scivation is/was bankrolled by a direct competitor of BB.COM, why is Scivation shown so much favoritism?

Some strange deals going on around here...

Scivation
07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Ok what did you do with the real Truth Speaker ?

But in response, I think the point that Des and others are trying to make is that this "Contest Prep Section" is just a front and the name should be changed to "Scivation Product and Diet Promotion". Derek is not currently competing, and from the sound of it the main topic of that forum is Scivation products and Scivation Diet. There is also the issue of Derek being a Mod and a direct employee of Supplement Company at the same time. JKeith was forced to resign his position as Scivation Rep in order to be a Mod, but the Adminstration looks the other way for Derek. And he is beyond just being a Company Rep, he is a direct employee of Scivation.

Derek does not even moderate anywhere but his own section.

What also doesnt make sense to me is if Scivation is/was bankrolled by a direct competitor of BB.COM, why is Scivation shown so much favoritism?

Get over it. I'd hardly say bankrolled. It was explained thoroughly.

Some strange deals going on around here...

With whom?

jerry.
07-27-2006, 05:19 PM
*searching for the smallest issue to complain about, then gonna make a thread*

Joel
07-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Derek does not even moderate anywhere but his own section.

Get over it. I'd hardly say bankrolled. It was explained thoroughly.

With whom?

Marc can you at least agree it would be fair to the new people who visit BB.COM if you guys changed the name from " Dereks Contest Prep Section" to "Scivation Company Promotion" so they are not misled? We all know whats going on there, but new people will not. Luring them in to a "Contest Prep" section - when there is no true Contest Prep going on - so they can be sold Scivation products is deceptive IMO.

But you guys obviously have the freedom to do whatever you want here, so it really doesnt matter what any of us think.

Joel
07-28-2006, 02:17 PM
At the very least I think Beast should have " I work for Scivation " in his Signature

People have a right to know he has a financial interest in Scivation products

Its far more than just being "Contest Prep" at this point

Krzna
07-28-2006, 02:25 PM
why cant everyone get along.

good to c u big pimpin ;)

alan aragon
07-28-2006, 02:25 PM
I think that deserusan raised some valid points.

I rarely venture out of the Nutrition forum, & I got a request from a member to give some feedback in a thread in Derek's section. I just assumed Derek's section WAS the Scivation section, or at least recently became the Scivation section, in a functional sense anyway. But hey, I've had some really good convo's with the Sci guys, and I think all the strapping young lads learning & taking notes got a lot (& are still getting a lot) out of that discussion. Therefore, I'm all for each supp company to be given their own forum where they can pimp their supps, special diet & training principles, etc. Then I'd gladly visit each one & be a critical pain in the ass :)

deserusan
07-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Then I'd gladly visit each one & be a critical pain in the ass :)

Maybe we should join forces and have a "critical pain in the ass forum." I think it would a be true highlight the bb.com forums. We could get BK, myself, you, and possibly Joel to moderate :)

Twin Peak
07-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Is this still going on?

Here you go:

Joel
07-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Is this still going on?

Here you go:

TP are you also opposed to putting " I work for "insert company name" in the Signatures of all Employess of Supplement Companies ? This would include you too

Krzna
07-28-2006, 02:40 PM
ohhh **** ... wherez my company uniform .... :p

deserusan
07-28-2006, 02:41 PM
ohhh **** ... wherez my company uniform .... :p

I have an XXL here but it might be small in the chest and shoulders :)

boyscouT
07-28-2006, 03:58 PM
TP are you also opposed to putting " I work for "insert company name" in the Signatures of all Employess of Supplement Companies ? This would include you too
I think that's a good idea. (for all reps of all companies)

alan aragon
07-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Is this still going on?

Here you go:

*Derek was given that forum because of what he can do for bb.com. Lets not forget that this is a business.And as a business, BB.com should listen to its patrons if/when they have issues with the way any aspect of the business is being administrated. That's fine & dandy that Derek is a great asset to BB.com, and I agree that he is - otherwise his crossover into the commercial interest + modship realm would raise more eyebrows by now. But I for one think that there's nothing wrong with shifting the paradigm towards multiple "company boards". Whether companies sink or swim will be quite easily determined by the customers. I think this will only make the supp companies work harder since the field will be more competitive.

boyscouT
07-28-2006, 04:12 PM
And as a business, BB.com should listen to its patrons if/when they have issues with the way any aspect of the business is being administrated. That's fine & dandy that Derek is a great asset to BB.com, and I agree that he is - otherwise his crossover into the commercial interest + modship realm would raise more eyebrows by now. But I for one think that there's nothing wrong with shifting the paradigm towards multiple "company boards". Whether companies sink or swim will be quite easily determined by the customers. I think this will only make the supp companies work harder since the field will be more competitive.
Good post.

Joel
07-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I think it should be mandatory for Company Owners, Employees, and anyone affiliated with a Supplement Company to clearly list their connection in their Signature. Just listing the company website isnt enough IMO. And the sticky list of "who is a company rep" is great but we all know that people dont read stickies.Plus, its hard to keep up with all the changes and additions.

-Company Owner/President
-Company Employee
-Company Consultant
-Company Rep
-Company Sponsored Athlete

This way there will be no confusion as to who is who and exactly what their connection is to said company. Personally I want to know if Im talking to the Company Owner or just an online Rep.

Krzna
07-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I think it should be mandatory for Company Owners, Employees, and anyone affiliated with a Supplement Company to clearly list their connection in their Signature. Just listing the company website isnt enough IMO. And the sticky list of "who is a company rep" is great but we all know that people dont read stickies.Plus, its hard to keep up with all the changes and additions.

-Company Owner/President
-Company Employee
-Company Consultant
-Company Rep

This way there will be no confusion as to who is who and exactly what their connection is to said company. Personally I want to know if Im talking to the Company Owner or just an online Rep.
How 'bout bb.com make those people into a user group. all it is is a small setting in the cp.

storm shadow
07-28-2006, 05:06 PM
I think it should be mandatory for Company Owners, Employees, and anyone affiliated with a Supplement Company to clearly list their connection in their Signature

-Company Owner/President
-Company Employee
-Company Consultant
-Company Rep

I like it, I also don't really see why making ^ mandatory would be a big problem.

Twin Peak
07-28-2006, 08:42 PM

Not I am not opposed to this.

Beast
07-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Check out the new sig!

Sixpack
07-29-2006, 08:01 AM
LOL great job D you know how important that is to know

Check out the new sig!

Twin Peak
07-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Check out the new sig!

That is really ridiculous. You hide it on the FOURTH line down? Seriously, you are scum Derek. How do you expect the newbies to realize that? Should they read your entire SIG?

What if they are blind, do you put it in brail? This is just another example of deceptive and slimy marketing, and I for one am appauled.

E-Go
07-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Maybe we should join forces and have a "critical pain in the ass forum." I think it would a be true highlight the bb.com forums. We could get BK, myself, you, and possibly Joel to moderate :)
I'm in, I can be annoying as **** :D

boyscouT
07-29-2006, 08:30 AM
That is really ridiculous. You hide it on the FOURTH line down? Seriously, you are scum Derek. How do you expect the newbies to realize that? Should they read your entire SIG?

What if they are blind, do you put it in brail? This is just another example of deceptive and slimy marketing, and I for one am appauled.
Agreed 100%.

Beast
07-29-2006, 08:43 AM

Maybe I should bold it?

Sixpack
07-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Yes bold and but it in 100,000,000,000 size font

Maybe I should bold it?

Elliptical Envy
07-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Sixpack, are you some kind of Scivation fanboy? :rolleyes:

boyscouT
07-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Maybe I should bold it?
Now that you mention it, how come bb.com's signatures dont let us bold, italicize, link, colorize, etc? :(

Sixpack
07-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Sure why not they have lots of fans

Sixpack, are you some kind of Scivation fanboy? :rolleyes:

Joel
07-29-2006, 02:24 PM

Hey TP I was thinking you guys at DS can start a "Contest Prep" section for Uhockey

We can all follow his progress and see how he prepares for his next competition ! With the help of DS supplements, of course. And maybe a good book or 2 if you know any ?

I know you have knowledge about Carb Cycling , have you considered writing a book ?

It could be a top seller !

jdiritto
07-29-2006, 02:44 PM
i dont see a problem in a mod reviewing protein or something.. but doing logs of a new product may be sketchy... idk, their people just like us.. they have valuable input as well

Twin Peak
07-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Maybe I should bold it?

That, and you need FOUR asterisks on each side.

Joel
07-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Check out the new sig!

Looks good

Why wouldnt you want people to know anyway ? I would think its something to be proud of

Par Deus proudly displays " I own Avant Labs" in his Sig so it doesnt make sense to me why TruthSpeaker (for example) doesnt announce he is the owner of ThermoLife.

(Lmao this will probably be saved and printed and shoved in my face if I ever show up at an Expo )

Twin Peak
07-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey TP I was thinking you guys at DS can start a "Contest Prep" section for Uhockey

We can all follow his progress and see how he prepares for his next competition ! With the help of DS supplements, of course. And maybe a good book or 2 if you know any ?

I know you have knowledge about Carb Cycling , have you considered writing a book ?

It could be a top seller !

Great idea!

Beast
07-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Looks good

Why wouldnt you want people to know anyway ? I would think its something to be proud of

Par Deus proudly displays " I own Avant Labs" in his Sig so it doesnt make sense to me why TruthSpeaker (for example) doesnt announce he is the owner of ThermoLife.

(Lmao this will probably be saved and printed and shoved in my face if I ever show up at an Expo )

I thought putting the websites in my sig was enough, but this does indeed help and makes things more obvious.

sawastea
07-31-2006, 06:33 AM
I have my signatures off so I don't know what's going on :D

E-Go
07-31-2006, 07:12 AM
I have my signatures off so I don't know what's going on

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store

**Supplements are not a substitute for proper training and nutrition**

MOD @ assmonsterz.com
MOD @ Fitnessandbeyond.net
MOD @ Softballfans.com

so is that why you have a porn site in your sig?

scott_donald
07-31-2006, 10:19 AM
I have my signatures off so I don't know what's going on :D

well turn them on dumbass...

jdiritto
07-31-2006, 11:09 AM

pwnt

IntensityX
07-31-2006, 11:54 AM
I have my signatures on so I know what's going on :D

sawastea
07-31-2006, 01:02 PM
I have my signatures off so I don't know what's going on

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store

**Supplements are not a substitute for proper training and nutrition**

MOD @ assmonsterz.com
MOD @ Fitnessandbeyond.net
MOD @ Softballfans.com

so is that why you have a porn site in your sig?

:eek:

Well, at least it isn't geigh porn :D

deserusan
07-31-2006, 03:53 PM
It's really hot here in Madison today. Anyway,I'm a MOD at a different forum but don't have it in my sig yet but will when the site goes live. Can I have my own section of the forum to promote it? I mean I really believe that it is a worthy cause and will help a lot of MMA fans and fighters out. What do you guys think?

jkeithc82
07-31-2006, 04:30 PM
I mean I really believe that it is a worthy cause and will help a lot of MMA fans and fighters out. What do you guys think?

I don't care for MMA, so the answer is no. :D

Seth25
07-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Damn, Jkeith your reps shot WAY UP.

Andrew69
07-31-2006, 06:14 PM
I think deserusan has some valid points.
However, I frequent "Dereks" forum simply because all the Sci guys are simply so damn helpful.
Yes, they pimp they stuff. So what?
No one is holding a gun to my head and forcing me to buy it.
Add to that the fantastic debates going on between them and people like Alan and Annsi, and youve got he best sub forum on bb.com

Joel
07-31-2006, 07:00 PM
Add to that the fantastic debates going on between them and people like Alan and Annsi, and youve got he best sub forum on bb.com

What are these fantastic debates about ?

deserusan
07-31-2006, 07:42 PM

The kitty says "meow" ;)

Will Power
07-31-2006, 07:43 PM
It's really hot here in Madison today. Anyway,I'm a MOD at a different forum but don't have it in my sig yet but will when the site goes live. Can I have my own section of the forum to promote it? I mean I really believe that it is a worthy cause and will help a lot of MMA fans and fighters out. What do you guys think?
Sounds good to me.

jkeith, you're too cruel.

NATHAN518
08-01-2006, 02:28 AM

LMAO...the tyranny has begun!:D

Blap Blaow
08-01-2006, 02:30 AM
Watermelon vs grape.

deserusan
08-01-2006, 02:44 AM
Watermelon vs grape.

Wraath vs. Xtend

RobW
08-01-2006, 02:52 AM
Watermelon vs grape.

Cutting Edge stuff.... :D

Travis71902
08-01-2006, 03:02 AM

nice sig ;)

Travis71902
08-01-2006, 03:03 AM
Wraath vs. Xtend

Xtend Vs. Extend

boyscouT
08-01-2006, 03:24 AM
Apple vs. Banana

Grapefruit vs. Orange

Joel
08-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Watermelon vs grape.

lmao...

Beast
08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Is this thread still going on? I should close it since I'm a MOD :D

Vegas Lord
08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Is this thread still going on? I should close it since I'm a MOD :D

Like HE-MAN used to say "I HAVE THE POWERRRRRRRRRRR"

Joel
08-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Is this thread still going on? I should close it since I'm a MOD

It wouldnt be unprecedented :)

deserusan
08-01-2006, 07:42 PM
It wouldnt be unprecedented :)

At least he is banning people when someone presents a challenge. :p

joeystick
08-03-2006, 08:14 AM
I am shockec that this is still going as well I would have guessed a mod would have shut it down along time ago.

jkeithc82
08-03-2006, 08:16 AM
At least he is banning people when someone presents a challenge. :p

When has Beast ever banned anyone? :confused:

Elliptical Envy
08-03-2006, 08:19 AM
I'm surprised this thread is still open. :D

deserusan
08-03-2006, 03:43 PM
When has Beast ever banned anyone? :confused:

I didn't mean to imply Mr. Beastmaster. You are suspect though ;)

jkeithc82
08-03-2006, 03:51 PM
I didn't mean to imply Mr. Beastmaster. You are suspect though ;)

Who have I banned? :confused:

(I have banned many, but who would meet this criteria?)

deserusan
08-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Who have I banned? :confused:

(I have banned many, but who would meet this criteria?)

I'm kidding....have some TakeAJokeTech :p